• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Some of y'all downplaying being held hostage by an airline for 14 hours like it's no big deal lmao for what? You'd all be pissed as fuck by the end of that ordeal acting like it's "an American thing?" What is even going on in this thread
I wouldn't mind as long as the booze is flowing.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Why are we blaming United or America on this exactly? It was a medical emergency and they ended up in Canada where they didn't have customs people to process them. It seems like everyone involved did the best they could TBH.
Newark. Of course it was fucking Newark
Every single flight I have ever had into or out of that cesspool of an airport was a disaster.
It was in Canada though.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It blows my mind airports and airlines aren't more prepared for these types of contingency.
Fucking exactly. What was he doing. Also are people missing that it was NEGATIVE Twenty degrees?

Yeah I'm blaming Canadian authorities on this one.

Put a customs officer on emergency call, if it's so rare I'm sure it won't be a big issue.

Keeping people in a plane for 14 hours because you don't have a customs officer is something you would expect in a 3rd world country, not in one of the busiest air traffic areas of the world.
It's a small civilian airport that handles small (15 or less passenger) aircraft in the middle of nowhere Atlantic Canada. It isn't equipeed to handle an emergency landing of a commercial airliner filled with international passengers in the middle of the night.

Town is population 8000

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
*looks at his Dunkin' Donuts coffee that he's currently drinking"

At least it's not McDonalds?

In Canada McDonald's coffee is actually decent as they bought the blend Tim Hortons used to have before they sold to Americans and all the products got downgraded to maximize profit.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks, and my first reaction was "ugh another passengers bill of rights case this is ridiculous," But in this case... they're in a remote airport in the middle of nowhere with noone working and it was an unplanned landing due to a medical emergency and the airline doors were broken ... Seems like United tried to handle things right and most passengers seem to be saying the crew was doing everything they could.

Still I'd lose it if I were stuck on that box. My wife and I flew with our ~3mo old infant a couple months ago, and it was a short flight, 1 hour, but for the 15 mins we were sitting on the tarmac waiting, I Was still getting antsy... baby was asleep but all I could think ws that we'd be sitting on the tarmac for an hour, she'd wake up, and piss everyone off.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
I always love the "14 hours and dwindling food" lines. Like, you can go for days without food, let's not act like they were about to resort to cannibalism.
The bigger concern would be people like diabetics or kids.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
I always love the "14 hours and dwindling food" lines. Like, you can go for days without food, let's not act like they were about to resort to cannibalism.

And controlling the crowd.

Being stuck in a cold, crowded, uncomfortable steel tube is bad enough. Being stuck in one while everyone is hungry is much worse.

Plenty of food and drink probably would have helped pacify the crowd and made the staff's job easier at least.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Well, even that shouldn't really be an issue, as the flight was scheduled to be st least 16 hours.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad the CNN story says Newfoundland. It's in Labrador :(

Hope they're at least compensated in some fashion, I get angry with a delay of a couple hours, having to sit in a stationary plane for 14 hours is crazy.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I've been stuck in an airplane for 5 hours before at SFO, so nowhere near this bad, but I can say one of the first things to go is the bathrooms. Going without food is complicated but the lack of toilet supplies escalates pretty quickly too. (In my case it was a pacific flight so we were already 13-14 hours on the plane by the time we landed).

Yep, United

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
What would've happened if someone just... got up and left the plane and then the airport and came back in the morning? Or at the very least, why couldn't they just sit in the airport wtf this sounds idiotic af

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah I'm blaming Canadian authorities on this one.

Put a customs officer on emergency call, if it's so rare I'm sure it won't be a big issue.

Keeping people in a plane for 14 hours because you don't have a customs officer is something you would expect in a 3rd world country, not in one of the busiest air traffic areas of the world.
Happy Valley-Goose Bay is a remote town of 8,000 people. Commercial aircraft like this typically only land there during emergencies. The problem is international treaties with no leeway for contingencies like this.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
If you'll read my post you notice I don't say they'd be in danger of starving, but in danger of something like someone running out of insulin.

Running out of insulin is less of a problem than not having food available. A good diabetic would have enough insulin for some time (and that never goes in the hold as it is temperature sensitive) and sugar tablets in case of a drop. But they could run out of sugar tablets ...

Source: I've been a type 1 diabetic since 1993 and I travel a lot.

ETA:
Note that the food they eventually provided, donuts, aren't exactly diabetic friendly.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Blows my mind that the Sonjay Dutt in this story is the same Sonjay Dutt of TNA wrestling fame