• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Well, maybe that's happened a lot during early commercial flights, and so they installed clever door mechanisms that couldn't be opened as long as there's a big pressure differential?

I thought the doors were hydraulic to be able to be opened.

But this may be from my 90s movie knowledge.

Fractology

Oct 28, 2017
What the fuck is going on with people in airplanes these days? Why is there a new story like this every week? Why are all of these psychotic in-flight episodes seemingly coming out at the same time?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the doors were hydraulic to be able to be opened.

But this may be from my 90s movie knowledge.
The air pressure is higher inside the plane than outside (if it indeed is pressurised at all, the earliest planes probably weren't), so if your door mechanism is really dumb (say a normal door plus a simple hatch). then it wouldn't take much to open it.
Don't imagine planes in the 50 and 60s had sophisticated hydraulic doors.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They then called all the "strong men" to the front of the plane to restrain him.

kdK20n2.jpg

"Finally, our time has come"

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Being an adult is the worst! You think it would open doors for you, but as soon as you actually try to open one, everyone in the plane starts wigging out!"

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this sounds alot was going on. They need to watch that dude for a while

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Damn I was just on a Delta flight two days ago.
What the fuck is going on with people in airplanes these days? Why is there a new story like this every week? Why are all of these psychotic in-flight episodes seemingly coming out at the same time?
People acting out of pocket cause they've been cooped up and (in a lot of cases) more polarized in their beliefs during the last year. 'Don't Tread On Me' inferiority complex shit.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if they call all the "strong men" to get up to the front and when you get up the flight attendant is like "nah I think we're good"

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
So these people who do these things, are banned from all passenger planes for life, right? Surely there's a mechanism to enforce such a ban.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
So these people who do these things, are banned from all passenger planes for life, right? Surely there's a mechanism to enforce such a ban.
The major airlines would typically ban you from flying with them for life with upsets like this. So if you are scared of this person flying again. It could happen but not by any major air line. Federally you're not going to see them added to the no fly list as the government rarely adds U.S. citizens to the list.

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
I know airplane crews might be a bit rusty with the whole year and a half of Covid shenanigans, but you'd think that someone (a former flight attendant at that) boarding a plane with a crash helmet on would raise at least one red flag.

StarsAreStuff

Feb 16, 2021
Was that psychosis? The screams for help make me think they weren't fully understanding what was even happening.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
It's not uncommon for folks to just bring aboard something in their hands that they dont have room to pack in their suitcases. Ive seen stuff like skateboards, tennis rackets, etc., I really wouldnt think much of seeing someone with a motorcycle helmet. Would have just assumed they didnt want to check it.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Damn my action movie dreams are fake.

It be amazing of it was that easy. One accidental movement and you're getting blown out of the plane.

From what I read, the doors are also simply locked and only get unlocked by the pilot once the plane touches ground. So even without the pressure seal it would be quite difficult

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
United would be like "we're offering $300 flight vouchers good for any future flight for any strong man willing to come up here and kick this guy's ass"

Javaman

Oct 31, 2017
From what I've heard those doors CAN be opened up below a certain altitude before the pressure differential takes place (There's probably an additional lock). At least you probably wouldn't get sucked out in that situation unless you were right at the door. I certainly wouldn't ever want to test that the differential would work 100% of the time. Several crashes have occured due to cargo doors not being shut properly. (A failure in physical and sensor feedback in the mechanism) Sweet dreams!

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
This was some pretty terrifying stuff and this was barely around a week after a similar incident happened. Just what is going on? I'm personally feeling disturbed, since I'm flying to Orlando next month.

Dork Knight

Feb 20, 2018
I've never actually seen this movie. This may be the most entertainingly stupid thing I've ever seen.

The original Charlie's Angels is so, so, stupid, yet so, so awesome. I adore it. So many great performances (all 3 of the angels, Bill Murray, Crispin Glover, Luke Wilson, Matt Leblanc, Tim Curry and, of course, Sam Rockwell). I'm jazzed myself up so much writing this, I'm gonna rewatch it tonight! Lol!

OP
OP
RBH

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

www.ajc.com

Unruly passenger who caused Delta flight diversion was attendant on inactive status

A flight attendant on inactive status caused a disturbance on a Los Angeles-Atlanta Delta flight, which diverted to Oklahoma City.

An unruly passenger who caused a flight disturbance that diverted a cross-country Delta flight to Oklahoma City on Friday was a flight attendant on inactive status, according to the airline.

Atlanta resident Stephon Jamar Duncan, 34, was on Flight 1730 from Los Angeles bound for Atlanta.

Crew members said Duncan "was exhibiting strange and paranoid behavior," the police report says. He was stashing personal items in various places throughout the plane, such as tennis balls with writing on them, trash and food.

"Duncan was ignoring flight crews' orders to remain seated and stop disturbing and frightening passengers with odd and random statements," according to the report. He handed a crew member a note saying, "alert Delta manager — terrorist on board.

The report says he used the PA system and made an announcement. A flight attendant tried to take away control of the PA system from him, which led to a scuffle between him and crew members, who were helped by passengers, while some other passengers recorded it on video.

In one video, someone trying to hold down the man yells, "We need the restraints. We need the restraints!"

Then, a pilot announces: "Ladies and gentlemen, this is the captain speaking. We would like all strong males to the front of the aircraft to handle a problem passenger."

During the scuffle, Duncan allegedly shoved a crew member against the wall and began choking an off-duty crew member, the report says. Duncan was restrained with flex cuffs.

Some passengers who saw the fracas posted on social media that the man was trying to open a plane door. Delta said that was not the case, though the scuffle over the PA system occurred next to a door.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, did I learn this correctly plane-Era:

It is impossible to open emergency exits mid flight unless facilitated by a pilot's actions?

Reason I kinda have to know are stories like these causing me an anxiety spike whenever I am flying and I think that just -that- guy standing there might be the one to try to open it!

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
I have to imagine that at some point during flight attendant training, they go over the whole 'nobody will be able to open that door at altitude' thing. This guy had to know that, right? Weird

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017

It is impossible to open emergency exits mid flight unless facilitated by a pilot's actions?

Reason I kinda have to know are stories like these causing me an anxiety spike whenever I am flying and I think that just -that- guy standing there might be the one to try to open it!

From what I recall the cabin being pressurized alone would keep a person from pulling open the doors. No clue if it has locks though.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

You're not going to open an external door (emergency exit or otherwise) on a commercial airliner at 30k feet.

You would need to be MUCH lower to the ground to have a shot at it.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if they call all the "strong men" to get up to the front and when you get up the flight attendant is like "nah I think we're good"

As a guy who's right at the edge of being underweight, I don't know what would be more embarrassing--getting up when I'm clearly not strong by any stretch of the imagination and getting turned away, or staying in my seat while my wife is looking at me.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming it's due to air pressure. What happens if your at a low altitude though?
Yes, it's primarily due to the air pressure and the shape of the door. At an altitude where they don't need to keep the plane pressurized to keep the occupants alive (where commercial planes spend very little time,) then I'd guess it'd be physically possible, but then there supposedly a lock that's only operable from the cockpit that keeps it locked in cases like that. I'm not so sure about that since I think that could be an issue in an emergency and I haven't seen an authoritative source on that.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Is it not common knowledge that opening the door while at altitude is a physical impossibility?

I'm really curious about this. I had no idea those emergency exit doors couldn't be opened mid-flight until this thread, and movies make it seem like it's totally a thing you can do. If I had to put money on it, I'd bet it's not common knowledge.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As a guy who's right at the edge of being underweight, I don't know what would be more embarrassing--getting up when I'm clearly not strong by any stretch of the imagination and getting turned away, or staying in my seat while my wife is looking at me.

The guy in the video said they asked for "able-bodied" men. Big difference.