• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Twitch should also ban videos of people eating hamburgers..... Honestly, I hope half the people retweeting put as much thought into the abuse they inflict on hundreds of animals as they did with this one cat.
What an awful arguement. We should apply that to everything. Don't focus on poverty or issues because 3rd world countries have it worse.

*Facepalm*

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're making a lot of assumptions to arrive at this conclusion. We don't know anything about the people calling her out, and it should absolutely not be treated as a negative thing that people have empathy toward companion animals. Like im assuming you own a dog, so you're contributing to both the meat industry and greenhouse emissions if I was to go on a completely unnecessary moral tangent, but I wont because its completely irrelevant.

You think most of the people in this thread and those retweeting are vegan? I think it's a fair assumption that most aren't.
Using an incident of animal abuse to turn the mirror around and ask hey maybe you could cut down on the animal abuse you cause" isn't a bad thing. It would be great if these conversations also lead to self reflection and a greater discussion around animal welfare.

ry-dog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What an awful arguement. We should spot that to everything. Don't focus on poverty or issues because 3rd world countries have it worse.

*Facepalm*

Pointing about hypocrisy/cognitive dissonance isn't a bad thing. I'm not saying "this doesn't matter because there are worse issues" I'm saying "if you're angry about this (justifiably so) you should also apply these same standards to all animals and reduce the abuse you contribute to".

It would be nice if same moral framework people use on cat/dog abuse was applied to all animals

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Pointing about hypocrisy/cognitive dissonance isn't a bad thing. I'm not saying "this doesn't matter because there are worse issues" I'm saying "if you're angry about this (justifiably so) you should also apply these same standards to all animals and reduce the abuse you contribute to".
It comes off as downplaying issues and trying to tell people they are getting upset over something when they should be getting upset at something else. It really has no place in the discussion.

The issue is what this woman did to her pets. Nobody is talking about the meat industry.

ry-dog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It comes off as downplaying issues and trying to tell people they are getting upset over something when they should be getting upset at something else. It really has no place in the discussion.

The issue is what this woman did to her pets. Nobody is talking about the meat industry.

Well no, it's telling people if they truly cared about animal abuse, they would care about this and other issues. I'm not calling out specific people. It's the volume of people caring about this and comparing it to the volume of people that care about the most common (and deadlier) form of animal abuse. Like shit, any article mentioning vegetarians half the comments are talking about how delicious bacon is. It's nice that people care about this cat, but it would also be nice if people cared about the hundreds of animals they will likely eat in their life time

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well no, it's telling people if they truly cared about animal abuse, they would care about this and other issues. I'm not calling out specific people. It's the volume of people caring about this and comparing it to the volume of people that care about the most common (and deadlier) form of animal abuse. Like shit, any article mentioning vegetarians half the comments are talking about how delicious bacon is. It's nice that people care about this cat, but it would also be nice if people cared about the hundreds of animals they will likely eat in their life time
Are they the same people? Does this seem like an effective way to increase awareness or a way for people to coopt to downplay the issue

BhetjaXIV

Sep 8, 2018
Belgium
Oh my god and ppl are defending this behavior? Throwing your cat around is fine according to some (now banned) users?

Please for the love of god, never own a pet.

ry-dog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they the same people? Does this seem like an effective way to increase awareness or a way for people to coopt to downplay the issue

I mean check the comments of this sort of thing on major news sites (ie: dog festival) and compare it to the comments you'll see around meat industry and vegan posts. The cognitive bias is pretty well documented.
It would be nice if every type of animal received this kind of press and anger when abuses occurred.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wild that Twitch has a rigidly enforced absurd TOS for super small streamers but assholes like this get to do whatever the fuck they want.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Wild that Twitch has a rigidly enforced absurd TOS for super small streamers but assholes like this get to do whatever the fuck they want.

Twitch moderation being very selective and ineffective has been long, long time running joke within Twitch. Streamers and viewers alike. Something Twitch has said they want address and be better at, but has never actually improved on.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Jesus.... This is probably not the first time either. She should be banned from Twitch and from ever getting near animals again. I don't understand why Twitch can be so reluctant when it comes to this kind of behavior on stream. To the people saying that cats fall on their feet, that isn't always the case, especially not from small heights. It's often times the lower heights that get them since they don't have the time to spin around.

Last edited:

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Throw your and break your remote like a normal person, why she have to throw an animal, so dumb.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
It will take a lot of effort to convince me that this entire thing isn't inherently rooted in sexism, especially with most of the drama being pushed by one of the more toxic subreddits and people (Keemstar)
Not unlikely, but anyone who does that to an animal is not fit to own any animals, and is frankly despicable.
A man might get away with it easier, which is unfair. Doesn't change that this woman is horrible and while I don't wish she had been harmed by the cat, I wouldn't have felt sorry for her in the least.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I like how on Twitter she's attempting to change reality by claiming she set the cat down behind her.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
It will take a lot of effort to convince me that this entire thing isn't inherently rooted in sexism, especially with most of the drama being pushed by one of the more toxic subreddits and people (Keemstar)
It is. Twitch protects anyone generating enough money for them and it's being framed as because she's pretty and makes them money off lonely men so twitch won't ban her.

The issue is Twitch not applying the TOS even to everyone. They are shitty and play favs and foster this wack culture.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
User banned (3 days): downplaying animal abuse
The alcohol thing is stupid, but the first one is harmless. A cat will rather willingly fly outta your hands dangerously than being set down gently.

This sounds like someone has bone to pick.
My thoughts as well. I expected some nasty slam but the video is rather harmless. Cat lovers overreact (and yes, I had cats as well).

I guess the cat now learned not lick her lips again after that vodka taste. That was stupid, though.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018

Is it OK what she did ??

I have two cats, and I'm not sure what I would do if someone hurt them in any way possible. Im that kind of person that strongly defend pets, and people who do bad things and hurt them, and believe me, there are a lot of people in this world who thinks they are superior and they pets are just toys.

In this case, this classy B, just did that in front of a lot of people. Maybe just for a few more subscribers and clicks ? What a good example this streamers pass to the audience han.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
My thoughts as well. I expected some nasty slam but the video is rather harmless. Cat lovers overreact (and yes, I had cats as well).

I guess the cat now learned not lick her lips again after that vodka taste. That was stupid, though.

and how do you know it is harmless? Yes, usually it is due to the cats ability to land on their feet. Nevertheless it could hurt him. And PETS are not toys!

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
The alcohol thing is stupid, but the first one is harmless. A cat will rather willingly fly outta your hands dangerously than being set down gently.

There's a huge difference between choosing to jump and randomly being thrown across the room.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She gave a decent apology and even called professional animal caretackers from the SPCA to come check her pets and her home. When her cat was young she did streams to raise money to pay for a surgery because the cat had a malformation, and there are hundreds of hours of content on her channel where she's only seen being good with her pets. She did two stupid things and apologized but people still want her head and have her animals taken away from her forever. And she has been harassed for days, even, it seems, at her own home.
Yeah, I think there's a bit of sexism, and internet mob mentality.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
She gave a decent apology and even called professional animal caretackers from the SPCA to come check her pets and her home. When her cat was young she did streams to raise money to pay for a surgery because the cat had a malformation, and there are hundreds of hours of content on her channel where she's only seen being good with her pets. She did two stupid things and apologized but people still want her head and have her animals taken away from her forever. And she has been harassed for days, even, it seems, at her own home.
Actually, most people just want to see the same rules applied to her that Twitch applies to other streamers. That's not based in sexism or the result of a mob mentality. Calling it the result of sexism ignores the fact that its mostly male streamers that are the subject of these threads.

Feb 15, 2018
It is. Twitch protects anyone generating enough money for them and it's being framed as because she's pretty and makes them money off lonely men so twitch won't ban her.

The issue is Twitch not applying the TOS even to everyone. They are shitty and play favs and foster this wack culture.

The difference is easy to spot

2 hands hurl = ok, 1 hand chuck = ban hammer

tata toothy

Dec 24, 2017
Keemstar and ilk are such a fucking joke, always ready to go to war with "twitch thots" and others outside their clique while making all the excuses in the world for the ridiculous antics of their innercircle.
jgee18wojhb31.png

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017

My thoughts exactly. Also, while it may be stupid, I'm positive most people unfortunately think letting their pets have a tiny bit of alcohol is harmless. I certainly thought there was a such thing as a "negligible amount" before reading the OP, although I've never given any of my pets any alcohol regardless...

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

The Twitch moderators play favorites so fucking much and that's always been the case. It truly wouldn't surprise me if they have hidden guidelines saying if a streamer makes the company a certain amount of money then the moderation becomes more lax. It's all about that money.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Of course she did, she doesn't want to get banned and lose her income. There are more videos floating around of her kicking her dog, putting stickers on her cats face etc. Makes you wonder how she acts towards them when the camera is turned off.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The fact they're just sitting around waiting for this to blow over is what gets me most. I'd be less offended if they just straight out said "We don't care".

It really does seem like Twitch moderation is based not on action or content, but rather on how many subs/viewers a streamer has.

Small streamer = super strict ToS
Large streamer = LoL, what's a ToS?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Of course she did, she doesn't want to get banned and lose her income. There are more videos floating around of her kicking her dog, putting stickers on her cats face etc. Makes you wonder how she acts towards them when the camera is turned off.

We should know / get idea soon enough as she basically called officials on herself, to come check on her animals.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Could you tell me what the streamer actually did? Because Twitch usually goes for their 3 strikes system and none of those strikes include a 5 month ban. Also the longest ban is usually a whole month, and after that you get usually perma'd (even tho there is nothing called "perma ban" within the Twitch rules). I'm just curious in what situation you could end up with 5 months.
Here's his appeal letter, he made a video about it, never had a single infraction before...

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
We should know / get idea soon enough as she basically called officials on herself, to come check on her animals.
Not sure how that's supposed to clear things up as nobody is stupid enough to mistreat their animals around authority. She'll be able to control the narrative and prepare for their arrival.

The problem is what's going on when they're not there, as you can see in the videos. Nobody should treat their pets as toys.

I do agree though that the Twitch community in a huge part is toxic as hell and this is like Christmas to some of them. Still, this needs as much attention as possible and a ban is definitely in order.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that people are in here defending this dumb, disgusting behavior is fucking wild fam. Y'all are fucking nuts talking like this girl doesn't deserve to have the whole corporation dropped on her head. Unbelievable.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that people are in here defending this dumb, disgusting behavior is fucking wild fam. Y'all are fucking nuts talking like this girl doesn't deserve to have the whole corporation dropped on her head. Unbelievable.

SPCA didn't seem to think so, are they fucking nuts?

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
What more do people reasonably expect at this point? Twitch doesn't seem to be interested in banning her and now there a straight up report from the relevant Canadian authority. Where else could this actually go?

Status
Not open for further replies.