• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
lol why would Amazon give a fuck about Twitter? What a strange thing and irrelevant talking point to throw in to their statement.
They are trying to paint a picture of racketeering i.e. Amazon, Apple, Twitter, etc. are part of a larger movement trying to harm them. It's in the paranoid conspiracy playbook.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Their argument is that Amazon violated anti-trust law by kicking off Parler, which decreased competition to Twitter, a company unrelated to Amazon.

....That's not how this works lol

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who would even use them after they got completely clowned by that person who grabbed 70TB of data when Parler's vendors abandoned them? Come on.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Bezos and his team of multi-million dollar lawyers haven't stopped laughing about this yet.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'll say this, it's the move I would do if I was Parler's owners. Try and hope I can get some kinda settlement to cash out quickly. It won't work but it's probably better then just rolling over dead.

Oct 30, 2017
115-FFB01-507-C-4386-9152-B56-F9-BDFC7-CF.jpg
Amazon isn't required to host this dangerous garbage

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I'll say this, it's the move I would do if I was Parler's owners. Try and hope I can get some kinda settlement to cash out quickly. It won't work but it's probably better then just rolling over dead.
Except they've opened themselves to discovery now, which based on plenty of posts circulating, won't be pretty.

It won't work and will probably open themselves to further litigation. A settlement is extremely unlikely to happen.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
I want to see how they defend letting people post about extrajudicially executing the Vice President of the United States.

It won't get to that point. The AWS contract allows them to end service for any reason, at any time, with no advanced notice. Companies much, much larger that Parlour have tried to negotiate changes and were told to sign or GTFO.

Oct 27, 2017
The odds that the contract didn't have an out for Amazon in the case of hate soeech/threats/violence are literally 0%, right?

Seems like a no brainer that amazon would always hold that right. But I'm no contract lawyer.

data

Oct 25, 2017
What happened to all their backups that they stated huh? All the "partners that wanted to work with them"? Turns out that was another lie.

Nov 18, 2020
The odds that the contract didn't have an out for Amazon in the case of hate soeech/threats/violence are literally 0%, right?

Seems like a no brainer that amazon would always hold that right. But I'm no contract lawyer.

All web hosting is done on an ad-hoc basis. AWS CloudFront terms of service:

" 1.4. In connection with your use of the Services, you are responsible for maintaining licenses and adhering to the license terms of any software you run. If we reasonably believe any of Your Content violates the law, infringes or misappropriates the rights of any third party, or otherwise violates a material term of the Agreement (including the documentation, the Service Terms, or the Acceptable Use Policy) ("Prohibited Content"), we will notify you of the Prohibited Content and may request that such content be removed from the Services or access to it be disabled. If you do not remove or disable access to the Prohibited Content within 2 business days of our notice, we may remove or disable access to the Prohibited Content or suspend the Services to the extent we are not able to remove or disable access to the Prohibited Content. Notwithstanding the foregoing, we may remove or disable access to any Prohibited Content without prior notice in connection with illegal content, where the content may disrupt or threaten the Services or in accordance with applicable law or any judicial, regulatory or other governmental order or request. In the event that we remove Your Content without prior notice, we will provide prompt notice to you unless prohibited by law. We terminate the accounts of repeat infringers in appropriate circumstances."

Parler signed this TOS agreement, so they have no legal standing here.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

" 1.4. In connection with your use of the Services, you are responsible for maintaining licenses and adhering to the license terms of any software you run. If we reasonably believe any of Your Content violates the law, infringes or misappropriates the rights of any third party, or otherwise violates a material term of the Agreement (including the documentation, the Service Terms, or the Acceptable Use Policy) ("Prohibited Content"), we will notify you of the Prohibited Content and may request that such content be removed from the Services or access to it be disabled. If you do not remove or disable access to the Prohibited Content within 2 business days of our notice, we may remove or disable access to the Prohibited Content or suspend the Services to the extent we are not able to remove or disable access to the Prohibited Content. Notwithstanding the foregoing, we may remove or disable access to any Prohibited Content without prior notice in connection with illegal content, where the content may disrupt or threaten the Services or in accordance with applicable law or any judicial, regulatory or other governmental order or request. In the event that we remove Your Content without prior notice, we will provide prompt notice to you unless prohibited by law. We terminate the accounts of repeat infringers in appropriate circumstances."

Yeah, figured. Thanks for the direct relevant bit.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
You come at Daddy Capitalism, you best not miss.

Amazon won't fuck around, they'll go to trial.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Their argument is that Amazon violated anti-trust law by kicking off Parler, which decreased competition to Twitter, a company unrelated to Amazon.

....That's not how this works lol

When you don't have a legal argument, you make one up.

They're probably just going to use this as an means to raise money before disappearing.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
With what lawyers? Didn't they just say their counsel dropped them?

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Wondering if maybe we can expect more flamboyant litigious bullshittery, à la Trump's, from Parler's legal team here. I mean, I can't see this as being anything but PR damage control. Otherwise, they're just purely idiotic to think they stand a chance.

Homekoro

Dec 5, 2018
A trial like this would set an amusing precedent to say the least. "We've paid good money to host sedition and murderous plots!"

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
"AWS's decision to effectively terminate Parler's account is apparently motivated by political animus," the lawsuit reads. "It is also apparently designed to reduce competition in the microblogging services market to the benefit of Twitter."

This is going to be VERY difficult for them to prove. If this is the best argument they have, they don't stand a chance. But, these guys on the right don't feel that they need actual evidence to bring a lawsuit.

3dae73b89f1c4eec30a65c49dc1ada44.gif

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

Yep. I mean in the article itself Amazon notified them to clean up twice. They still allowed repeated offending content. They violated this clause, and it's pretty clear cut without needing deep legal knowledge.