• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to bring up the fact that that many on this forum told many users on here not to make an account on there, even for laughs, because it was clearly insecure!

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, you'd be surprised. A lot of alt-right folk HATE this forum. The upshot is that all of the posts on here are public and visible anyway so there's no need to hack to see what we're talking about.

Exactly my point, it's a public forum so there's no expectation of privacy. After the Old Place started to collapse and people were talking about their DMs being read, I figured those aren't safe either. But if somebody wants to look through my 2766 posts for some tasty tidbit they are welcome. Even *I* don't have the patience for that and I'm the one who made them.

We need a thread where you and I just gush about Castlevania Bloodlines. We gotta convert the FBI into Bloodlines fans.

Should just have them play it, if they aren't converted after that they're clearly Igarashi fanboys.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
This Gizmodo story has a lot of info and I highly suggest the OP update because the tweet in the OP is borderline nonsense

gizmodo.com

Every Deleted Parler Post, Many With Users' Location Data, Has Been Archived

In the wake of the violent insurrection at the U.S. Capitol by scores of President Trump’s supporters, a lone researcher began an effort to catalogue the posts of social media users across Parler, a platform founded to provide conservative users a safe haven for uninhibited “free speech” — but...

TL;DR they reverse engineered the API and are using Docker to archive

LOL, they wanted to have some influencer model:

Prominent users would be tapped to post organic-looking posts promoting outside companies and products. Users could then "boycott" the influencers they didn't like. On Tuesday, @donk_enby posted images of what the influencer panel looked like, as well as a function that enabled Parler to conceal the capability from certain users.

224QWVy.png

blp3kzK.png

gY0798e.png

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
It's funny, but I'm left wondering could an attack like this happen to our forum?
Well, it could happen to any website. But this place is too small and inconsequential for a hack and considering it runs on xenforo, basic protections should be in place so it wouldn't be as easily done. Basically this, and most similar forums are too boring to waste time on.

Edit: lmao I just read what actually happened. No, no it could not happen to any other website with a sane sysop. Fucking hell hahahahahahahah

Last edited:

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly my point, it's a public forum so there's no expectation of privacy. After the Old Place started to collapse and people were talking about their DMs being read, I figured those aren't safe either. But if somebody wants to look through my 2766 posts for some tasty tidbit they are welcome. Even *I* don't have the patience for that and I'm the one who made them.

Should just have them play it, if they aren't converted after that they're clearly Igarashi fanboys.

If they can't pinpoint that Dracula's second phase is actually the witch Drolta Tzuentes, they're not real Bloodlines fans!!

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
So if someone were to say... want to check what they had on deranged family members... how would one go about that? Hypothetically?

DBz1LgA9kbfTV1ftnznBgSC5h6451PSNDjc39XAlsCA.gif

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if it comes out that Parler was actually setup as an alt-right "Honeypot", I wouldn't be surprised at this point.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I just want to bring up the fact that that many on this forum told many users on here not to make an account on there, even for laughs, because it was clearly insecure!
I don't know what's involved in making an account. I think if you just made a baseline account to troll or watch, you shouldn't really worry too much.

That said, I'd never upload personal data onto a site like that. Scanning a Drivers License? Say what now?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So this is damning for anyone who was on there and at the DC rally right? This is going to destroy a ton of people? Any chance of evidence that could be used to get rid of the dangerous house members/Hawley? Wonder if any of them will resign when this gets out

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Stories like this give me cold sweats every time I think about programming anything internet facing. Having one of my professors rip through what i thought was a decently secured schoolwork API program was a huge wake up call on how hard this shit is.

With said I am laughing my ass off at this and these disclaimers people think will do anything.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
So I did more digging into this and that tweet is some straight up CSI hacker fan fiction

Twilio was being used to handler user verification via SMS

When Parler got kicked off that verification broke and you could just immediately sign up

With no barrier to entry people began crawling Parler and archiving every piece of media since it was sequentially numbered

When you say media, does that include text posts?