• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Information
Mod edit: the below embedded tweet is largely inaccurate. See the bottom of the OP + threadmarks for more accurate information on the breach.

Their 2FA failed in a spectacular way allowing hackers to spam the creation of admin accounts.

gizmodo.com

Every Deleted Parler Post, Many With Users' Location Data, Has Been Archived

In the wake of the violent insurrection at the U.S. Capitol by scores of President Trump’s supporters, a lone researcher began an effort to catalogue the posts of social media users across Parler, a platform founded to provide conservative users a safe haven for uninhibited “free speech” — but...

Last edited by a moderator:

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Apparently even stuff that was "deleted" is still visible to admin accounts lmao

Oct 26, 2017
Now please hand it all over to every media, and every gov organization.

Parlor was the one that required the social security number//drivers license to be uploaded to right?

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Asked in another topic: is Parler also operating in Europe? Because if yes, the EU could also dunk on them for those violatons to GDPR...

( the description of how the hack was done may be false however, though that doesn't change much)

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine taking a political and conspiratorial stance against 'big tech', but not understanding the fundamental issues at all, and trusting a new and fledgling social media startup with a lot of personal data and incriminating posts.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are these guys so worried? I thought you had nothing to fear as long as you didn't do anything wrong. 🤔

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
YiCVfyH.gif

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Is this going to get the hackers in trouble? I'd hate for all this data to be considered inadmissible evidence or whatever...

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Is this going to get the hackers in trouble? I'd hate for all this data to be considered inadmissible evidence or whatever...

Some of these people never have to face charges for their lives to be ruined by this. Being put on no fly lists, being publicly shamed and losing employment, being banned from multiple platforms like facebook/twitter/etc.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Internet Warriors? This sounds kind of fake. Has anybody seen the datadump? I thought the no fly lists were hoaxes too.

Edit: the original tweet sounds more convincing.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
I'm not sure if law enforcement is allowed to use hacked data as evidence, hacking is still a crime even if the target is rotten.
But I'd say they (Parler and their users) got what's coming for them.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
"Internet Warriors" sounds like script kiddies.

I'm glad it was done, but will this hold up in court? Unlikely.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
People on the hacker's twitter thread have posted some crazy examples from the hack. There were hit lists of politicians they wanted to murder and shit.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I'm just saying if you're concerned about authorities seeing your internet history because you've threatened to murder people maybe you're not the good guys

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
I'm not sure if law enforcement is allowed to use hacked data as evidence, hacking is still a crime even if the target is rotten.
But I'd say they (Parler and their users) got what's coming for them.
Is this even considered hacking? They got access to administrative privileges using the site tools only by resetting passwords (as it's described on the post). Sure, they used other tools to create accounts and collect data but the first step is so dumb easy it's seems surreal.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Is this even considered hacking? They got access to administrative privileges using the site tools only by resetting passwords (as it's described on the post). Sure, they used other tools to create accounts and collect data but the first step is so dumb easy it's seems surreal.

I can't say because I'm not from US, and not that familiar with local laws.

But I work in cybersecurity in Europe and that could definitely be prosecuted here, "you're not allowed to enter the house even if you see the door is unlocked" type of situation.

They even took steps to keep harvesting and spreading private user data even if the security problem was identified in time and they (Parler) tried to fix it.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Holy shit 70 TERRABYTES ??

Parler requires a phonenumber to register meaning a lot of people should probably be a little concerned about having the FBI suddenly show up.

Especially since deleted posts are still visible to admin accounts lol

174jf9.jpg

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I always expected this country to eventually have a fascist problem. I never thought they'd be so goddamned stupid.
It's like if the day of the Reichstag fire Hitler held a rally where he told his followers he wanted to burn down the Resichstag. And then his followers videotaped themselves setting the fire and told the news they did it.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Can we officially call this The Trumpenning now?

It is likely one of the largest own-goals'/self-inflicted digital damage in a long while