• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ocean Panda

Banned
Oct 25, 2020
name an example of a similar company with similar problems finding the capital to run a social network, not to mention infrastructure (web hosting and "app stores"). blanket "scaling" might not be an issue if it wasn't for the content these people want to host and make their product.

explain why twitter, youtube, twitch etc cracked down on this shit. i promise you its not out of the goodness of their hearts.

the only money in racism is trump propaganda and small dick tactical gear. thats not going to fund a social platform.

i agree that dumb fuck investors exist, but not ones that will spend money into blatant racism and fascism. not even fox news gets away with it and hide it as well as they can.

Your points are valid, but I think we're in uncharted territory here... we haven't seen this particular circumstance in this particular socio-political climate before.

I don't know anything about the people who were bankrolling Parler, but I highly doubt they were doing it because they expected a return on their investment from ad revenue. It was an ideological thing.

I think it's entirely possible for a web-based social network to survive outside of the App Store ecosystem if it has the users and money, and particularly in this case where it would be seen as the last "safe space" by this group.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
Your points are valid, but I think we're in uncharted territory here... we haven't seen this particular circumstance in this particular socio-political climate before.

I don't know anything about the people who were bankrolling Parler, but I highly doubt they were doing it because they expected a return on their investment from ad revenue. It was an ideological thing.

I think it's entirely possible for a web-based social network to survive outside of the App Store ecosystem if it has the users and money, and particularly in this case where it would be seen as the last "safe space" by this group.
i mean, the most recent proof is parler and it doesn't seem to be going to well for them... gab is worse.

Last edited:

Ocean Panda

Banned
Oct 25, 2020
i mean, the most recent proof is parler and it doesn't seem to be going to well for them...

The key difference is that, supposedly, Gab runs their own servers. (And less important but still relevant, seems to be designed and built much more competently).

If Parler had planned for this situation and been able to roll over to their own servers with no downtime, I think they'd be doing just fine.

I'm shocked (and yet, not at all surprised) that they didn't have a contingency plan for this.

Either way, I hope you're right I'm just being alarmist.

Oct 25, 2017
The key difference is that, supposedly, Gab runs their own servers.

If Parler had planned for this situation and been able to roll over to their own servers with no downtime, I think they'd be doing just fine.

I'm shocked (and yet, not at all surprised) that they didn't have a contingency plan for this.
What is the difference between Gab and Parler? They seem very similar.

Ocean Panda

Banned
Oct 25, 2020

I think they're essentially the same thing and certainly cater to the same audience. Gab seems to be designed and built more competently, and there are some surface-level differences in functionality. I've never used Parler and only browsed what's open to the public on Gab so I can't claim to be an expert on either.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gab operates off of its own servers, supposedly while Parler has operated from Amazon Web Services.

From what I understand, Parler is dependent on a mobile app, and therefore dependent on the Apple and Google online app stores; while Gab is fully browser-based and therefore immune to Apple and Google banning it.

Parler had major funding from the Mercers, not sure where Gab got its funding from.

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Gab operates off of its own servers, supposedly while Parler has operated from Amazon Web Services.

From what I understand, Parler is dependent on a mobile app, and therefore dependent on the Apple and Google online app stores; while Gab is fully browser-based and therefore immune to Apple and Google banning it.

Parler had major funding from the Mercers, not sure where Gab got its funding from.
Browser only platforms can only take off so much. The dangerous thing about Parler was the accessibility the app stores gave it. Any expansion of crazy alt-right sites is concerning, though the potential for it to go mainstream isn't quite there.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
***Profits from hatred***

"Haha, this is the best!"

***Loses the ability to profit from hatred***

"Oh no!"

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Thought this was a fascinating thread and, if corroborated, kinda scary. From back in November:

Not surprised. What I am surprised about is the lack of investigative journalism in regards to high profile people like Giuliani and other Trump Co. moving about Russia and Eastern Europe without really batting an eye. All of this is so obviously nefarious yet there's no real drive to tackle it. The fourth estate keeps dropping the ball as theyre far more focused on the surface level stories that pull eyes easily and consistently.

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised. What I am surprised about is the lack of investigative journalism in regards to high profile people like Giuliani and other Trump Co. moving about Russia and Eastern Europe without really batting an eye. All of this is so obviously nefarious yet there's no real drive to tackle it. The fourth estate keeps dropping the ball as theyre far more focused on the surface level stories that pull eyes easily and consistently.
It's so fucking obvious that it's absurd. I actually can't believe outlets like The Onion and SNL aren't parodying that more. I think the media became demoralized with that task after Trump installed sychophant Barr as AG to undermine the Mueller investigation.

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
Browser only platforms can only take off so much. The dangerous thing about Parler was the accessibility the app stores gave it. Any expansion of crazy alt-right sites is concerning, though the potential for it to go mainstream isn't quite there.
agreed. if web only was a solution forums would be bigger

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
tenor.gif
Heavyweights gif lel..so good

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wish this service had been allowed to whither and die on its own rather than becoming a martyr.

I don't think a social network can be successful if it is entirely comprised of the chuds that were too dumb, antisocial, or obstinate to sidestep a Twitter ban. Most people can just create an alt-account with a dummy email -- the only purpose of a service like this is so that "famous" people with a following who get banned can keep their followers and prestige. Most of the far-right morons aren't going to have that much fun trapped in their own echo chamber. For them the appeal of Twitter is being able to harass, instigate, and argue. On a network comprised entirely of their ideological peers, they will quickly get bored.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
Checking out on a whim what this gab thingymajigg is, I see this on the front page
F5Gj3eH.png

Jesus christ I dont know how they are not melting away in all this heat they are in :P

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Top post on HN claims that Parler just got their shit wrecked via Twilio, all user data exfiltrated including the ID needed to be come verified. Source is some Facebook thread, so I'm not making a thread, might be a situation like in November.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Top post on HN claims that Parler just got their shit wrecked via Twilio, all user data exfiltrated including the ID needed to be come verified. Source is some Facebook thread, so I'm not making a thread, might be a situation like in November.

They also pulled a set of URLs that encompass every post and file ever made on the service. I'm helping download as much of it as possible before AWS pulls the plug - Archive Team will process it and get it up on archive.org as soon as they can.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Twilio stopped working cause they left, so there's is no verification system. Last 24 hours, a bunch of trolls were able to sign in too.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
So 2 days after this thread Rebekah mercer posted on parler saying her "and John (the public co-owner) started parler for blah blah" and she has been the primary investor since launch.

The mercers and Russia have any history?

Mercer founded Cambridge Analytica so there's that.
Plus this:
www.palmbeachpost.com

From 2017: Yachts of Trump financial backer, Russian oligarch seen close together

Editor’s note: This story was originally posted on March 14, 2017. It involves Cambridge Analytica part-owner Robert Mercer. The coincidences are

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The people on that app were hilariously dumb beyond parody. My only fear is that even a small chunk of them will smarten up and find a place that is difficult to find and monitor.

Oct 25, 2017
Well I've been randomly clicking the parler dump for half an hour and already found some really scary people. Check out @Gaultier on parler for example. Talking about a "charlie hebdo" on Amazon HQ and saying 3 delivery drivers will die every day that Parler is down.