• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'm annoyed that it only "could" end their business. AWS was supposed to drop them, but I understand the app is still active and they're going full insurrection planning mode now. Why is it still up?

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
@parlertakes on Twitter

It's okay soldier, you've done your duty, you may rest now 😔

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
So to piggyback off of my above post about Parler's address not being a real address; some Twitter sleuths pointed out that their PO Box is about a mile away from the company Trump had his rally at back in September.

Oct 27, 2017
Really happy this piece of shit website is on the verge of going out of business, but what's stopping an alt-right group with a lot of money from creating their own hosting solution? Please tell me there's little hope of that happening.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
Really happy this piece of shit website is on the verge of going out of business, but what's stopping an alt-right group with a lot of money from creating their own hosting solution? Please tell me there's little hope of that happening.
They still need to find a place that will host their servers. Or power their own servers. And power companies likely won't want anything to do with it.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
(gets kicked off of social media) "Fine! We'll start our own platform!"

(platform fails spectacularly) "Fine! We'll start our own platform!"

How many times do they think this is gonna work? It didn't even work once.
I recall an article I read about hate groups in Canada some years ago which noted that they were always around, but often ineffectual because they tend to fall apart on their own. It noted that groups that are laser focused on hating outsiders can easily fall into infighting because they're nothing that really guarantees that they're going to be less hateful to each other. They naturally seek smaller and more exclusive corners to hide in if there's isn't a competent active effort to keep them together.

Which had me thinking about how Fox News tries to discourage the viewers from looking at sources beyond a few approved sources, or how the "Unite the Right" rally was explicitly about keeping a bunch of hate groups together.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
Well aside from all technical difficulties, one of the biggest issues is time. If their backend is as much of a mess as some people say, the complication of migrating from AWS means that, even if they were able to find a suitable hosting solution that can scale, it will probably take a few months at least to get everything going again. What fash is going to sit around for a few months waiting to use their site? By the time it's probably up and running again, everyone will probably have moved on to somewhere else. I think they are fucked no matter what at this point.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Basically there are so many steps in the pipeline to bring the internet to users. They will have to rebuild every step of that process eventually. It's doable, but there is so much funding and effort required, and you have to get a lot of competent people ideologically dedicated to your cause at every level and pay them competitively, and any step of the pipeline is susceptible to getting shut down when some crazy ass terrorist posts death threats or CP, which is inevitable in an alternative right wing internet. The only solution is the dark web, but that's too complicated for their boomer audience.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
They still need to find a place that will host their servers. Or power their own servers. And power companies likely won't want anything to do with it.

Power companies are utilities and I'm pretty sure they have no say in the matter - if Nazis want to power servers and are willing to pay, the utility has to provide the power.

On the other hand, the major enterprise server vendors don't have to sell them equipment if they don't want to, and putting together a datacenter worth of servers built from parts you got from Microcenter is going to take a while.

Nov 18, 2020

There are already alt-right hosting providers. For example, some company called "1776 Hosting" runs the vile cesspool Kiwi Farms. HOWEVER, what will propel Parler's downfall is the size of their userbase. Sustaining 4 million active users requires huge, billion-dollar data centers. There's no way they can find an unregulated "patriotic / free speech" hosting solution that can operate anywhere near that scale, and BUILDING that solution is near impossible even if they have deep pockets.

Alt-right hosting is a dumpster fire that constantly buckles under the traffic. Even if they do find a solution it will barely work and destroy their momentum. Conservatives won't be able to flock to the site en masse, and registration will likely be heavily restricted. So the bottom-dwellers of the USA may still proliferate, but there won't be a viable conservative equivalent to Twitter / Facebook at anywhere near the scale as before.

Last edited:

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has worked in counter-terrorism for years it boggles my mind that these concerns are raised now, after decades of disrupting the outreach of organizations like Al-Qaeda, Al-Shabaab or ISIS. Even the most freedom-loving democracies have recognized the escalating online radicalization of extremists as a greater threat than any slippery slope argument about de-platforming.

It's an effective remedy because it cuts many ways: it interferes and slows down the radicalization process of individuals, it drains the energy and resources of terrorist organizers because they have to play whack-a-mole with their outreach programs, it diminishes the 'glory' of their struggle and if, heaven forbid, someone does radicalize to the point of plotting an attack, it degrades their ability to share intel, tool up and coordinate mid-attack.

Deplatforming and if it works isn't in question at all, I agree it's needed and works. Honestly, this should have even done before it even got to the point where the recent events could have happened. I only brought up my own concern, mainly because they are colored by my experiences.

I've worked in the mental health field dealing with racists and even ex neo-nazi's in the past, so I know from personal experience that type of extreme mindset and hate doesn't instantly dissipate just because they are separated from the source. It's almost like a disease that's buried deep; It takes time to de-program from and it's there where my worry comes from; That an extreme few might turn to violence as a knee-jerk reaction before any sort of reason sets in. That's hardly to say de-platforming shouldn't be a thing out of fears like this, since its necessary to remove that element that leads radicalization to start with. It's just saying that the threat is potentially there and therefore so is the concern.

Last edited:

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
What about thedonald.win? Is that being deplatformed anytime soon? It's qanon central the few times I visited.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was reading through a reddit thread about this and apparently Robert Mercer and his daughter, Rebekah Mercer fund Parler, and he was behind Cambridge Analytica too. The authorities should be on their ass.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
Basically there are so many steps in the pipeline to bring the internet to users. They will have to rebuild every step of that process eventually. It's doable, but there is so much funding and effort required, and you have to get a lot of competent people ideologically dedicated to your cause at every level and pay them competitively, and any step of the pipeline is susceptible to getting shut down when some crazy ass terrorist posts death threats or CP, which is inevitable in an alternative right wing internet. The only solution is the dark web, but that's too complicated for their boomer audience.

Awesome, glad it's difficult but
They can still go to Facebook

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Nothing. Gab already does everything on their own (except domain registration, IIRC)

Last edited: