• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
via Google Translate:
The Grévin museum will host a Detroit: Become Human area

Even though it's is normally interested in men and women of flesh and blood, whether they belong to the history of France or international popular culture, the Grévin museum sometimes lends some of its wax reserves to fictitious characters. However, video games have almost never been represented since a certain Lara Croft obtained her statue at the dawn of the 21st century, in 1999. 20 years later, the iconic Parisian establishment will set up a futuristic area dedicated to Detroit: Become Human.

It's Sony Interactive Entertainment, which stills owns the IP -and therefore the licence to the characters- despite the end of its partnership with Quantic Dream, which sent the press release: from June 28, 2019, visitors to the Grévin museum can visit a of 75 sqm space replicating the CyberLife android store that is part of the commercial landscape in David Cage's latest game. It's more precisely the characters of Kara (Valorie Curry) and Connor (Bryan Dechart) who will be entitled to their wax statue, in a space where "an interactive and immersive scenography will guide the visitor in the shop to help them choose the most suitable Android for their needs ", we were told.

At SIE France and Quantic Dream, we obviously welcome what is perceived as a strong sign of cultural recognition. "I am delighted that we can give new life to the world created by David Cage and the Quantic Dream studio at the Musée Grévin, and video games are once again showing their popularity and their place within such an institution that brings together the most iconic characters on the planet' said Philippe Cardon, Sony Interactive Entertainment Vice for Southern Europe. "Quantic Dream has always defended the idea that video games are a form of culture in their own right. To see our characters and the themes of Detroit: Become Human enter a museum as prestigious as Grévin, today, is a formidable recognition for our media", adds David Cage, founder and director of Quantic Dream.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree with the idea that anything in Detroit is "A strong sign of cultural recognition" or whatever the equivalent is in French. Cultural appropriation is more like it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
There are quite a few jokes that can be made here about the quality of the characters in Detroit and how heavy handed the whole thing is but I'm too lazy to come up with one.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
They are totally banking on the uncanny effect of buying human-like merchandise - by contrasting it with human-like wax figures.
It's more for that joke (look, we made the uncanny androids into wax!) than anything else I bet.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I disagree with the idea that anything in Detroit is "A strong sign of cultural recognition" or whatever the equivalent is in French. Cultural appropriation is more like it.

Isn't it more of a statement that videogames have received cultural recognition?

Even so, that will be marketing PR as it will have been entirely paid for by Sony.
I wonder why it came so late after the game?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it more of a statement that videogames have received cultural recognition?

Even so, that will be marketing PR as it will have been entirely paid for by Sony.
I wonder why it came so late after the game?

The translated quote is "At SIE France and Quantic Dream, we obviously welcome what is perceived as a strong sign of cultural recognition." I'm not sure why you think it's related generally to video games when the quote is what it is.

Edit: I will add it doesn't really matter if it does relate generally to video games as the specific game and characters they mention are from Detroit.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Yup, it's about video game having mainstream recognition, the Grévin Museum has welcomed countless figures and characters from popular culture, but that's only the second time a video game character will be there after Lara Croft in 1999.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The translated quote is "At SIE France and Quantic Dream, we obviously welcome what is perceived as a strong sign of cultural recognition." I'm not sure why you think it's related generally to video games when the quote is what it is.

Errm....because the whole paragraph is about that?

At SIE France and Quantic Dream, we obviously welcome what is perceived as a strong sign of cultural recognition. "I am delighted that we can give new life to the world created by David Cage and the Quantic Dream studio at the Musée Grévin, and video games are once again showing their popularity and their place within such an institution that brings together the most iconic characters on the planet' said Philippe Cardon, Sony Interactive Entertainment Vice for Southern Europe. "Quantic Dream has always defended the idea that video games are a form of culture in their own right. To see our characters and the themes of Detroit: Become Human enter a museum as prestigious as Grévin, today, is a formidable recognition for our media", adds David Cage, founder and director of Quantic Dream.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
While neat for QD, it's just a wax museum and not the Louvre so that "cultural recognition" is actually a business endeavor more than anything else. Not to mention that QD should work on fixing their toxic internal company culture first.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I laughed at the "World created by David Cage". It's literally Detroit but with robots. Come on.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Errm....because the whole paragraph is about that?

As I edited, it doesn't matter, the characters and themes in Detroit aren't worth recognizing because they largely have no depth and appropriate cultures without being respectful at all. So whether it's related to general video games being recognized, they decided to recognize Detroit to do so.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
As I edited, it doesn't matter, the characters and themes in Detroit aren't worth recognizing because they largely have no depth and appropriate cultures without being respectful at all. So whether it's related to general video games being recognized, they decided to recognize Detroit to do so.

I agree , it's a poor "choice" to make to represent videogames mes as a whole. But as I said it was likely paid for and is just a PR exercise.
If the Museum really wanted to recognise videogames then we would have a full sized Fortnite default character or a Waxwork of Nolan North

But at least making a waxwork mannequin of a virtual human being is pretty easy.
Next year maybe we'll have Norman Reedus' Death stranding Wax Skin Shader on show

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree , it's a poor "choice" to make to represent vidoegames as a whole. But as I said it was likely paid for and is just a PR exercise.
If the Museum really wanted to recognise videogames then we would have a full sized Fortnite default character of a Waxwork of Nolan North

Touché. That would still be preferable to me haha.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Considering this is usually a museum with worldwide stars or at least huge french stars, this is a quiet ridiculous pr stunt cause i'm pretty sure 99% of visitors will have never heard of that.