• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
What are young children watching on YouTube while their parents cook dinner, drive or work from home? A lot of advertising and very little educational content, a new study finds.

Some 95 percent of videos aimed at children ages eight and younger on YouTube contain ads, and many of those are hawking products for a much older audience, including whiskey, lingerie and violent video games, according to a joint study by Common Sense Media and researchers at the University of Michigan.

"In our study, most children were watching the videos with branded products or outrageous content that creators have posted to get more views, which leads to more ad revenue and getting featured in recommendation feeds," the report's co-author, Jenny Radesky, a researcher at the University of Michigan, said in a statement.

"Although great content for kids exists on YouTube, it's not rising to the top," she added.

But the report says there is more that YouTube could do to protect kids, such as moving all content directed at children from its main site to YouTube Kids "to ensure that ads are age-appropriate, and parents have more control over how to curate their child's feed."

The report also suggests that YouTube work with content creators to improve the quality of videos produced for children and develop metrics to evaluate them.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
" The report also suggests that YouTube work with content creators to improve the quality of videos produced for children and develop metrics to evaluate them."

Something that should be done but won't be. It is ultimately up to the parent to control what their kid watches but we all know it doesn't work like that for the majority of parents.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Even without Youtube, my nieces would sing and dance to ads on TV.

Kids love ads because they're usually very cheerful. And on TV (our TVs, at least), the ads are usually placed according to the show. So if it's a kid show, the running ads will be about snacks, toys, kids supplements, etc. To think that TV is better than YT in this aspect is kinda funny. Well, it's probably because TV ads are manually adjusted, while YT is automated. More points to human against AI.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I put a kids video on for my son and those bastards played the IT trailer. He was afraid to sleep at night for weeks because of that, costing the whole house our sleep.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have kids but isn't YT Kids supposed to be safe?

My 11 years old cousin just watch Minecraft videos lol
It's an awful app, and many of the videos are just native advertisements discussed as content. It's the most consumerist id nightmare. And it's just such a bummer compared to the quality shows you can find on Prime, Netflix, or PBS Kids for free.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
This kinda grosses me out. I know most shows were already ads, but when you add ads for adults and that's all these kids are watching non-stop, it kinda fucks with your head.

So all everyone will do in 30 years is watch ads.

. . . Scripted ads, I guess we already have Marvel. :p

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
Having your kids watch YT unsupervised is bad parenting. Simple as that.
My daughter never gets to watch YT without me or my wife being with her.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The amount of brain dead trash aimed at kids kn yt is insane and sick. I always catch my niece watching it and her parents don't care.

I wouldn't give my kid access to YouTube at all.

softie

Oct 30, 2017
That's why you should curate content on your kid's device. Lazy parents gonna be lazy....

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
I use Youtube for sesame street episodes for my daughter.
That's it.

I wish there was a service that had all of those episodes so i didn't have to bother with youtube.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
we need regulation for online video platforms like commercial over-the-air channels. right now it is the wild west. self regulation doesn't work since there are no penalties for lapses or lazy implementation. yt just turning off comments, are you kidding me?

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I wonder if we saw more or fewer ads as kids when we watched ad-sponsored TV instead of YouTube
Don't let your kids watch YouTube.
Agreed. It's like crack to their little brains. My 4 year old begs for YouTube videos, but she invariably cries when we shut it off, so now we just don't put it on. There is some wholesome content on there (we sometimes play The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross for her), but unless you have an ad blocker or YouTube Premium, your kids will be inundated with adds

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
Youtube is trash. A lot of content creators targeting children because they'll consume their videos and give clicks without a thought. Some of those channels are just about selling shit to your children and they get to watch ads before the toy review. Parents will use youtube as a babysitter when they don't want to entertain their kids.

Canoli316

Jan 19, 2018
There's even ads before videos of rain sounds which I play in the background so my kid can relax and take her nap. I've switched to Spotify for soothing sounds of nature.

WillRobBanks

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. My daughter is 5 now and only watches YouTube occasionally, with the family, and on the tv.

I am sorry, but between the garbage of box openings aimed at kids, along with the YouTube algorithm, I'm still steadfast in our decision to limit her access. There's much better programming on Disney+ and Netflix.

We actually limit screen time in general (impossible now with virtual kindergarten 😂😩) and she has such an incredible imagination and ability to entertain herself (and play with others) on a sustained basis with a large variety of physical toys, reading, coloring etc.

Hoping we can mirror for my son who is 2, but he's quite the different child ❤

Tsosie

Oct 28, 2017
Buffalo, New York
I have blocked Youtube and Youtube kids on my childrens' devices (8yo and 6yo). They fussed about it at first, but once they were comfortable with navigating through Disney+ they were content. A larger issue is that their teachers often post youtube links in their remote work. SO we are constantly unblocking it for a 5 minute video throughout the day.

MaxEverblack

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Iowa
We have Youtube Premium family instead of cable, since we use it so much. I enjoy not having ads. I created a google account for them. then added them to my family. We watch it with them and we haven't gone down any rabbit holes yet. We stick to the popular channels like Super Simple, Cocomelon (i hate cocomelon), and Blippi. My kids also like the Dora channel on Plutotv, it just sucks how many ads are on there.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
well, obviously.

We have the YouTube Kids app set up. It's pretty much for when I'm taking a dump and you can control what videos are on there, and so usually we jsut have disney junior stuff... Bluey, Alana, SOphia the First, Doc McStuffins. My toddler always asks for "BABY SHARK BABY SHARK BABY SHARK" and so sometimes w'ell do a deep cut remix vid of baby shark, which is some weird shit.

I really don't care if she's getting educational content out of YouTube, if I need 10 mins to poop I need 10 mins to poop and she can watch mindless cartoons during that time.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The way advertising revenue has shaped entertainment and social media really seems nefarious. Content farms making millions churning out vapid, manipulative content to harvest ad revenue from children sounds quite dystopian.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
Kids watching Youtube kids supervised is fine. The problem is when my cousins that are parents just give their kids their phones and let them navigate regular youtube freely. I'm going to have a kid in 5 months so we are a ways away from having to deal with this. When the time does come, there will be a lockdown app on our phones or tablets so limitations and restrictions are in place. My little cousins are in and out of apps, switching youtube videos every 10 - 20 seconds, and completely lost in the devices. I might be old school, but I'm a big fan of kids playing with toys, coloring books, and educational games.

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
my friends kid (8) and I have watched LPs on YouTube in the past, but then he'll turn on those "Ryan" type videos and it feels so wrong, these horrible ads targeting children disguised as "hanging out." Letting your kid watch yt is very different than say letting them watch Nickelodeon or whatever

Sep 20, 2020
Like a year ago, I admit my ignorance, this is the junk my then five year old was watching. it took me a awhile to realize it (Fuck LOL Surprise Dolls) but when we realized all of the stuff she did have access to, we banned that. Or I should say I did on my Roku account to my wife's chagrin since she watches alot of YT beauty vlogs and stuff. I kind of forced my wife to watch it on her phone instead of the main home TV's. Removed TV/Roku from our daughters room as there was no way to really do parental controls on it we discovered (which was tied to the whole YT usage thing) She has an IPAD now (that she received from her maternal grandmother and I was initially against). But Screen time and complicated passwords are a beautiful thing. She only has access to it from 4pm (after school and homework) to bedtime; a little more liberal access to it on the weekends.

We do not have cable in our home and stick to mostly Netflix/Amazon. I occasionally subscribe to other services as needed. Had Disney+ for awhile but had to get rid of it because our daughter developed an unhealthy obsession with The Simpsons. D+ seriously needs proper Parental Controls.

Funny anecdotal story: Right around the time this all YT stuff occurred with our daughter, we didn't really need parental controls on many of our streaming services. I walked out of our living room with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on our living room tv to make our then 2 year old lunch. like 30-60 seconds later I walk in and see he had the opening scene to the Netflix's Motley Crue movie The Dirt. THAT scene. I covered his eyes so fast and immediately pin-locked adult Netflix, Amazon, and Plex accounts. Toddlers...

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
This has always been my philosophy. Youtube is not even an option for entertaining the kids.

We have stuff like PBS kids if we want to watch TV. And if we do watch a video on YouTube, it's because it's something specific my wife and I selected like nature videos, how it's made, something educational.

In fact, I've had to yell at my in laws in the past for allowing my daughter to watch random "kids" videos.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017

This...
Having your kids watch YT unsupervised is bad parenting. Simple as that.
My daughter never gets to watch YT without me or my wife being with her.

... this...
The amount of brain dead trash aimed at kids kn yt is insane and sick. I always catch my niece watching it and her parents don't care.

I wouldn't give my kid access to YouTube at all.

... and this.

I don't typically judge parenting styles nor do I assess one kids development with others. Everyone is unqiue. Everyone is in a different spot. I do plenty wrong. But universally, letting your babies/toddlers/young children watch Youtube unsupervised is straight-up bad parenting. I'm very pro technology, and I have nothing against getting kids familiar with modern tools or even watching some supervised television. But the parent should be participating.

I have some friends and cousins who post all these "cute and funny" pictures on FB of their 2/3/5 year olds just completely absorbed into Youtube trash, and I know they just leave them in front of the TV unsupervised for 30+ minutes at a time.

My daughter gets to watch 15 min of Sesame street WITH US (and we engage - "OH, LOOK, it's COOOOOKIE MONSTER!" And he's blue, right dad? Yeah mom, blue. Unlike Elmo, who is RED!) a couple nights a week, and like 30 minutes of nature/animal shows on the weekend with us, where again, we engage.