• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you cool w/ your 6-7 yr old going to a sleepover at a friend’s house?

• If I have to choose in general: no

• If I have to choose in general: yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
First kid: "I'm not so sure. Do we really know these people well enough? What if they have a mean dog, or weapons in the house? We should really think about this. Maybe ask around a little bit."

Second kid: "SEE YA TOMORROW!"
Lmao. This is too true. Pretty much every parent says fuck it once the second comes. Our second slept over at 2 with her big brother as the place they were at had similar aged kids.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't plan on teaching them that, that's my job to be overly paranoid. But the statistics say 20% of women in this country have been sexually assualted. Those odds fucking suck, and yeah, they make me not trust most men.

I mean I know eventually things will have to change. Hopefully by the time they reach the age of reason, I'll have taught them how to best protect themselves without passing on my own paranoia, and then I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best as they fly the coop.
It's actually higher than that for women, more like 25-30%. That 20% figure is correct if we are talking about male victims of sexual assault though, so maybe you should reconsider your preconceived notions about this subject.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
once it gets around that you're only allowing your kids to have sleepovers if it's at your place, the other parents are going to stop trusting you because that's a weird as shit thing to do
I'm just saying dude. You are sounding exactly like my parents. And it can really affect them socially. Like, for example, say your daughters best friend has a sleepover for a birthday party. Well, all of her friends came except for your daughter. Then it kind of connects that all of her other friends, are way better friends than your daughter. Even if you are "willing to host" (my parents were "willing to host" as well), it just starts to form a huge block in the relationships. Also, if you allow kids at your house, but don't allow your kid at other people's houses. Well. Other parents won't take kindly to that anyway, and it's your kid that gets to suffer the consequences.
both of these.

I'll tell you right now: every group of kids is for damn sure talking about the one weird kid who isn't allowed to sleep over because of their parents.
and this
Sounds like a great group to be a part of. ;-)
its really not.
and i think you need to take a hard look at your parenting. If your this concerned about a sleep over, my guess is that your a serious helicopter parent.

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
When I was that young I stayed over my friends all the time and vice versa. As long as my parents knew the other kid and had a conversation with the parent to make sure they were okay with it, then so were they. After a while I just cleared it with both sets of parents on my own for everyone's convenience.
I guess we were living life in the edge?

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds a little young to me, but we're talking like, literally a year younger than I'd think of sleepovers. But really it comes down to this: Your kids friends are people you should probably know, and their parents are people you should know at least in passing. If you do, it shouldn't be that hard to determine if you trust them not to do something stupid for 12 hours or so. Long term, you can't shield your kid forever, but obviously this comes down to case by case.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
As long as I know the parents and they're not dickheads, no issue at all. Bit on the young side, but if my kid's comfortable with it then so am I. I went to sleepovers around that age and I personally think it's good for kids to be away from their immediate family for a bit; be sociable with friends and another family for a night in a new and different environment. I know it did me good. I tried foods I'd never tried before, things like that. It's something I'll encourage my kids to do.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So they are doing an activity (sleeping) which is a low risk activity. They aren't playing in oncoming traffic, playing in fields riddled with needles, throwing bottles at each other. What is going to go wrong with sleeping?

OP doesn't trust the parents. I assume he fears they could have an abusive household, leave harmful things around the house, have large dogs, or have other issues. Seems reasonable assuming he doesn't know the parents. It is essentially letting your kid stay the night with strangers, just because your kid goes to the same class with their kid.

WillRobBanks

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people voting here actually have kids.

My oldest is 4 and I'd say definitely no at 6 or 7. That's also a lot to ask from other parents. Kindergarteners/ 1st graders are needy.
3rd grade sounds about the right age. So 8 or 9, with close friends.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
OP, did you have sleepovers as a kid? You seem to want to know a lot about them which indicates you didn't have that experience?

Their kid is a reflection of what kind of parents they are. It should be a clear marker. If they are good enough friends to consider a sleepover, then you should know the parents to some extent already.

You can't operate as a helicopter parent for their entire life. 6-7 is old enough to go to a friends house for a night.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
OP doesn't trust the parents. I assume he fears they could have an abusive household, leave harmful things around the house, have large dogs, or have other issues. Seems reasonable assuming he doesn't know the parents. It is essentially letting your kid stay the night with strangers, just because your kid goes to the same class with their kid.
As a parent you should have met the parents already. They aren't strangers as you brought the kid to the place. This isn't hard. Kids have been sleeping over forever. Nothing has happened this year that somehow makes this scary now.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️

My oldest is 4 and I'd say definitely no at 6 or 7. That's also a lot to ask from other parents. Kindergarteners/ 1st graders are needy.
I'm going to guess most here were kids at one point and slept over their firends place at that age.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
OP, did you have sleepovers as a kid? You seem to want to know a lot about them which indicates you didn't have that experience?

Their kid is a reflection of what kind of parents they are. It should be a clear marker. If they are good enough friends to consider a sleepover, then you should know the parents to some extent already.
Odd thing to assume.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Last one I let my 9 year old attend, he came home and said he wasn't supplied a pillow or blanket and ended up sleeping on the floor, so we're not doing that again anytime soon.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
As long as you coordinate a rapid response plan with the local police beforehand you should have at least a 50/50 chance of things being okay

OP
OP

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
"Your children can come here but my children can't go there"

Like you and your kids are somehow better than the other families
Oh gotcha. What I meant by that is that I only really know myself with certainty. I'm sure there are many better parents out there than me. But I get why it can be misunderstood.
First kid: "I'm not so sure. Do we really know these people well enough? What if they have a mean dog, or weapons in the house? We should really think about this. Maybe ask around a little bit."

Second kid: "SEE YA TOMORROW!"
Hehehe I suspect this might be me.
How is this really any different than trusting a baby sitter or a daycare?
I think for me it just seems that babysitting and daycare are much more necessary than sleepovers, especially at 6-7 yrs old, and since I didn't grow up going to sleepovers. So the necessity of it outweighs the risk (for me).
For how long? Another 2 years? Until they're 18?
I think 8 or 9 yrs old would make more sense. Though really I'll never feel super settled about it — but I'll just have to deal because it'll likely be a norm for them socially at that age.
and i think you need to take a hard look at your parenting. If your this concerned about a sleep over, my guess is that your a serious helicopter parent.
I know it's easy to fill in the gaps with a negative overall picture of me, I get it, but try not to diagnose so broadly here.

You can't operate as a helicopter parent for their entire life. 6-7 is old enough to go to a friends house for a night.
I feel more like 8 or 9 makes more sense for me. I didn't have sleepovers because it wasn't the norm in my family / immigrant community, and so they didn't allow it when the topic came up with school friends.

Yeah, I agree with you.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As a parent you should have met the parents already. They aren't strangers as you brought the kid to the place. This isn't hard. Kids have been sleeping over forever. Nothing has happened this year that somehow makes this scary now.

He isn't obligated to meet the parents of everyone that goes to his kid's class.. he is obligated to question if they are a safe environment for his kids though.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I'm in the "no sleepovers" camp, as my kids are 4 and 7. The only places they're allowed to sleep over is their grandparents' house.

I also don't want to dump the responsibility of someone else taking care of my kids in addition to their own for a whole night and morning.

I have no problem with parents who choose to go the other way, though.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course yes! Sleepovers at friends at that age were the most amazing things. It's so cool to spend time like this with friends!

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
It's not a bad assumption - they were right.

So I have two kids and I can definitely understand where you are coming from. It's a unique experience for kids to go and play at another's house and not have to go back to your house that night. I know that there were certainly a couple of sleepovers that made me value my family situation. Releasing control of your kid(s) to another Parent is very much a leap of faith. Meeting the parents can be a big step towards mitigating that risk.

I remember having game nights at my friends' houses and them being some of the best nights I can remember, as I wasn't allowed to have a console. It is a valuable experience for the kid, and personally as a parent, I would have a hard time not giving that same experience to my children.

Edit: OP, I apologize if I came off harsh to you in my first post.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
I just assume most parents are going to be exactly the way I would be, which is to, at the very least, make sure they don't die. Maybe feed him?

I kid, but I do assume other parents are going to act like we would.

OP
OP

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
So I have two kids and I can definitely understand where you are coming from. It's a unique experience for kids to go and play at another's house and not have to go back to your house that night. I know that there were certainly a couple of sleepovers that made me value my family situation. Releasing control of your kid(s) to another Parent is very much a leap of faith. Meeting the parents can be a big step towards mitigating that risk.

I remember having game nights at my friends' houses and them being some of the best nights I can remember, as I wasn't allowed to have a console. It is a valuable experience for the kid, and personally as a parent, I would have a hard time not giving that same experience to my children.

Edit: OP, I apologize if I came off harsh to you in my first post.
I appreciate the insight (here and in the thread in general of the positive impact). And you didn't come off harshly at all, no worries.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
This is such a strange thread. If you trust the parents, great. If you don't, don't. Not all parents are universal, and it would be understandable that you would say "yes" to some parents and "no" to others, based on your comfort level. Personally, I find it hard to imagine raising a child for six years and never reaching comfortability with a single set of parents to watch them while they play and sleep. I think people's reasonable concerns about "What message are you sending your kid?" is that if you have a deeply conservative perspective on this, it's probably true elsewhere.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
That totally makes sense as an approach... I just can't bring myself to do it when it's much more clean cut to have a no sleepover policy unless we're hosting it. Some of my friends tell me I didn't have sleepovers when I was a kid because my parents were immigrants to the US and that's less common for first generation immigrants. Maybe that's it... the concept is not my norm, so I'd rather simply avoid it.

I mean if everyone had your logic of "no sleepover unless I'm the host", sleepovers wouldn't exist. I'm no parent myself but I don't see anything wrong with bringing your kid over to the house and sitting down for a cup of coffee, maybe even stay for dinner if that's a thing and then leave after. If your kid isn't showing any signs of distress, I wouldn't worry so much. Plus, you'll always have the parents number on hand, if not speed dial & im pretty sure it's the same way around.

I get that you're being protective but don't deprive your kid of fun because of your protectiveness. I didn't have my first sleepover til like 15.

& if you're that uncomfortable, then wait til the age where your kid will have a cellphone and you can check in.

Deleted member 5129

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're a helicopter parent in the making, it's sleepovers - what the hell. If the parents live in a decent house and not in a dump you can reasonably assume that they're just about as capable at watching kids as anyone else.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds like you've already made up your mind OP but I'll add in here:

From one parent to another, let the kids sleepover. The pros absolutely outweigh the cons and as others have pointed out in the thread its a great opportunity for kids to experience other lifestyles besides their own. You can even make it a monthly routine.

Hey "X's Parents" you wanna host the kids sleepover this November? Me and -insert partner here- are happy to watch yours in December if you're down!

It just makes your more friendly, sociable, and approachable from your kids view and other parents view.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
This seems to be a polarizing topic in my social circle, and I'm interested in what everyone thinks. :-)

I'm squarely in the "I don't trust you (the friend's parents) enough to allow it" camp.

How about you?

Don't have kids but have enough friends I grew up with to know I would never allow this with my children. Definitely no sleepovers. Eat candy till you're about to burst but I'm driving little Billy back to his casa come bedtime

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
He isn't obligated to meet the parents of everyone that goes to his kid's class.. he is obligated to question if they are a safe environment for his kids though.
How did the kid get there? There has obviously been some interaction or the kid wouldn't have gotten there. It's your job as the parent to assess.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
He already said that he doesn't believe he can judge a parent by just meeting them - since they will act differently in private.
That is just irrational. You can extend this to any sinfle person you have ever met. Pretty much can't leave a kid out of your watch if that is your outlook.

cHaotix

Oct 25, 2017
I was doing sleepovers at 1st and 2nd grade and still remember them vividly. Great experiences.

If the parents are trustworthy and the kids friends serve as a positive influence then I'm not quite sure what the problem would be. Let your kid have fun and experience life.

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
Going to sleepovers when I was 7 was a blast. Eating pizza. Staying up late watching movies and playing Nintendo. I couldn't imagine not having those experiences.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seeing adult posters mention being taken to play dates as kids is making me feel really old.

That is just irrational. You can extend this to any sinfle person you have ever met. Pretty much can't leave a kid out of your watch if that is your outlook.

Yep. I guess that poster can't send their kids to school, get a babysitter, or really anything else.

Kleefeld

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I had sleepovers at that age and they are some of my favourite memories. I grew up in a small village though so all parents knew each other pretty well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Sounds like you've already made up your mind OP but I'll add in here:

From one parent to another, let the kids sleepover. The pros absolutely outweigh the cons and as others have pointed out in the thread its a great opportunity for kids to experience other lifestyles besides their own. You can even make it a monthly routine.

Hey "X's Parents" you wanna host the kids sleepover this November? Me and -insert partner here- are happy to watch yours in December if you're down!

It just makes your more friendly, sociable, and approachable from your kids view and other parents view.
I've made up my mind that 6-7 is too young and I'd prefer, if it seems to be the norm for their friend group, for it to be when they're 8-9.

That said, when the time comes, your approach sounds good.

and at the same time, I'll always feel that it's a strange practice hehe.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I completely get where the OP is coming from. I too am very skeptic and distrusting as a general rule, and don't expect people to trust me without knowing me for a good period of time to build that trust. My daughter is 5 and she had a couple of sleepovers already with parents I trust, but it took me 2.5 years of constant connection with them for me to be comfortable enough to try.

I guess when she is older I will relax more, as I am relaxing more now than I was when she was 2, or 3. But the trust thing I think will always be my process, I would never let her go to a sleepover to a friends house that I have no relationship with the parents whatsoever. That seems weird to me.