• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
At least Corona sounds like a name. Covid, though? Good luck finding a nickname.
Exactly. Corona has a lot of meaning before the virus term.
Unfortunately, since the parents just happened to name their kids literally after the virus itself, it's beyond stupid.

EDIT: OK. Read the rest of the article. I get the reason now, and at least they acknowledge that they can always change the the names.
Still, though...

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I'm surprised this was in India and not in the US or UK.

Rajasthan has a bizarre fascination over naming children after current affairs in the news.

There's been children named after a goods and services tax: https://www.indiatoday.in/fyi/story...undhara-raje-narendra-modi-1022111-2017-07-03

And after a fighter plane: https://www.business-standard.com/a...born-on-day-of-iaf-strike-119022701222_1.html

It's worth noting in the cases of both this OP and the 'GST' naming that the parents expressed a desire to change the name later. It's not uncommon in India to give kids a nickname that's completely different than their real names.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there were plenty of Black Death Jones' and Bubonic Smiths in the second half of the 14tj century. You guys are just totally overreacting. 🤣

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Exhibit #50824973 of "parenting is the scariest shit people can do without a license".

"Indeed the virus is dangerous and life-threatening but its outbreak made people focus on sanitation, hygiene and inculcate other good habits," she said, offering some justification for the names.

"Tens of thousands of people have died, but those who survive are cleaner now, so *puts on sunglasses* it's a wash".

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
at least superman is cool this is just dumb

QDcErrK.jpg

Mar 10, 2018
My initial reaction was to lambast the parents, but I can understand how different cultures can perceive times of hardship differently. This seems to be more of a "seeing the beauty in the struggle" type thing than just choosing trollish names in order to elicit shocked reactions.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Covid/Corona: "Mom... we keep being bullied in school and being called 'The Virus Twins'!"

Mom: "Stop whining and think of the important thing: your dad and I actually made the news in 2020 for your names!"

😅

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Well not only would one be named after a virus type, they'd also be named after a beer brand.

Like stop.

Edit: Okay India. The beer thing might matter less but still stop.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Great job. Those kids are probably going to get bullied by someone who lost a close family member to the virus, then they'll wonder why their parents gave them names that remind people of a horrible global crisis.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Probably nobody will really care in a few years anyways

Corona is a fine name really. Covid... Maybe like Covida. Or Covidan. Needs a bit more

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
The teasing the kids will get makes me hope India has child protection services to punish these parents.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
At least the parents who were dumb enough to name their kids
Khaleesi
didn't see the twist coming.

Like, this virus is literally killing people right now, you dumbfucks. Don't do this to your children.

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
Regardless of how selfish this was of the parents, the thought process behind why even they would like it is mind boggling. Why would you want to think of the hardships you endured every time you say either of your children's names?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine there are already some Coronas out there because it's a common word.

But...... Covid..... Christ

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I can't help but be reminded of my 38 year old twin cousins, AIDS & HIV

Last edited:

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I think this is the perfect thread to tell you all that someone named their kid "Covid Bryant" here in the Philippines: