• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Finally a place I can post about this because I've been so excited.

For the last 3 months I've been working 3 jobs to save up for a Switch for my 10 year old son for Christmas. He primarily lives with his Mom, but he plays mine when he's over. He sees the Switch as "Dad's toy he lets me play" so I don't even think it's even remotely crossed his mind that he could actually own one for himself. His little head is going to explode when he realizes he has his own.

I finally put enough money away to walk into Best Buy and pick one up. I also got a hard shell case, a screen protector, Zelda + DLC, and Pokémon Let's Go: Eevee edition as digital download cards.

When I got home, I opened his Switch, put on the screen protector, redeemed, downloaded, and updated the games, and most importantly, transferred his Zelda save file from my Switch to his. Now come Christmas, he can open the box and immediately start playing Zelda from exactly where he left off on my system. He is going to freak out. I also set up parental controls, and my family online plan, etc.

A cool thing about this is that if I get him Mario Kart or something, we can totally play together online even though it's not my usual time with him, so you KNOW I added us as friends. That's so exciting.

For Christmas, I plan to wrap the (used) download cards separately, the case, and the switch itself all as separate gifts. The Switch stuff is just going to keep coming.

Sorry - I know I was a little off topic, but I also think I answered OP's question, somewhere in there. I was just so excited because I worked so hard for this. We're not a particularly wealthy family, so I'm just super proud to have been able to do this for him. Wanted to post about it somewhere. Haha.

Merry Christmas, Era!

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I think preinstalling everything is a great move.

I've bought 'myself' PSVR this year, and I know my partner will also play it, and my visiting family too. So I've bought and installed plenty of VR demos and games so we can play on Christmas Day without too much hassle.

I remember hooking up the Wii on launch day, with my friends all gathered around to see the new exciting thing. During setup I made the mistake of agreeing to update the firmware, as I thought it would be immediate. We were stuck there for what felt like forever and it really spoiled the moment. I felt pretty embarrassed and somewhat responsible for this crappy moment.

I agree that it's nice to open things, but I would have rather been able to play right then. The idea of servers being jammed on Christmas is terrible reason to have to wait until another day. Make sure you manage expectations!

One small nice thing gift givers can do is ensure there's a spare plug socket and generally ease the hassle of installation. Having a USB extension or power extension handy might help on the day.

An aside, buying a second controller is a great move. Controllers are something of a grudge purchase, but a great joy to have available. Make it easy for them to share their new thing, if it's possible.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Gotta make sure it works, test it out and make sure everything good to go.
I remember getting a new living room TV, and setting it up (with people gathered around)... only for it to be dead on arrival. I felt like I had done something wrong and I had to check error codes... urgh. We had to wait a week for the replacement.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018

For the last 3 months I've been working 3 jobs to save up for a Switch for my 10 year old son for Christmas. He primarily lives with his Mom, but he plays mine when he's over. He sees the Switch as "Dad's toy he lets me play" so I don't even think it's even remotely crossed his mind that he could actually own one for himself. His little head is going to explode when he realizes he has his own.

I finally put enough money away to walk into Best Buy and pick one up. I also got a hard shell case, a screen protector, Zelda + DLC, and Pokémon Let's Go: Eevee edition as digital download cards.

When I got home, I opened his Switch, put on the screen protector, redeemed, downloaded, and updated the games, and most importantly, transferred his Zelda save file from my Switch to his. Now come Christmas, he can open the box and immediately start playing Zelda from exactly where he left off on my system. He is going to freak out. I also set up parental controls, and my family online plan, etc.

A cool thing about this is that if I get him Mario Kart or something, we can totally play together online even though it's not my usual time with him, so you KNOW I added us as friends. That's so exciting.

For Christmas, I plan to wrap the (used) download cards separately, the case, and the switch itself all as separate gifts. The Switch stuff is just going to keep coming.

Sorry - I know I was a little off topic, but I also think I answered OP's question, somewhere in there. I was just so excited because I worked so hard for this. We're not a particularly wealthy family, so I'm just super proud to have been able to do this for him. Wanted to post about it somewhere. Haha.

Merry Christmas, Era!

Aw man, this post genuinely brought a tear to my eye. :') Hope you guys have a great Christmas (and everyone else on the forum too).

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A gift with thought behind it is much greater than a cash/card gift when you get older and have money. I was like you once.
So at some point at the end of Christmas Day, when everyone has passed money around to each other, you're all either slightly richer or slightly poorer and have nothing else to show for it? Sounds fun man...

In my case it's a cultural thing. My family is Chinese and they normally wouldn't celebrate Christmas, but all my relatives moved to Italiy 30 years ago (before I was born), so they have holidays during the Christmas period rather than Chinese New Year.

In the weeks leading up to Christmas, every uncle/aunt that I met would give me a Hong Bao with money in it and my parents did the same for my cousins. I only received gifts from our Italian neighbours/friends.

If I have to be 100% honest, I preferred getting money that I was able to spend on anything I wanted much more than getting Christmas sweaters, books and shampoo.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
My lads getting PSVR as one gift so I have already downloaded games into a VR folder.
Just got to keep him on his Xbox for a few days lol.
The headset is unopened and wrapped!

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
My lads getting PSVR as one gift so I have already downloaded games into a VR folder.
Just got to keep him on his Xbox for a few days lol.
The headset is unopened and wrapped!
I'd love to see a gift system that is a cross between Nintendo's "present" and the prorder timer while hiding the game info.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
every kid is different, and very young kids may not know how to do that stuff, but i wouldn't be happy if as a kid my parents robbed me from the joy of opening the wraps on everything and updating stuff myself.

Merry Christmas, Era!
this is so sweet

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

Merry Christmas, Era!
Super cool dad! =) I'm sure your kid will love it indeed. And even as a complete outsider I really want to say, that I also appreciate what you're doing and how hard you are working for the kid. Thanks for the Christmas spirits!

OP
OP
Chuck

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017

Merry Christmas, Era!

This is such a cute story 😭

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I don't think nostalgia for ripping some plastic is worth wasting 1-2 hours they could spend playing the game. I would double-wrap the game to compensate :)

Oct 27, 2017
Yep... My kids want smash.. but for certain characters.... Currently playing through the game to get the characters they want unlocked, but leaving the rest for them to unlock. Also made MII characters for all of them already.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
No.

It gives them time to participate in non-videogame family activities while the patches download.

Not really the reason, but no, I don't. My son is 13 and likes setting things up himself.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
I don't recall ever really caring if my presents had seals and plastic wrap or anything as a kid. I was pretty happy to be able to play as soon as everything was hooked up, though. So I'll probably update and try to preinstall.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I got my kids some digital games (they already have a Switch) and I dont like how they spread around their physical games. I found Mario Odyssey in the wrong case the other day. So I'm going to have megaman preloaded on their Switch. They already have Smash since I let them play it with me already

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I gave my 7.5 year old daughter (we selebrate winter solstice on the 21st) a labo variety kit among other things, it didn't require patching :)
The fishing pole is also made by her and her friend so it was really "plug and play".

Since she only has a switch, the patching is usually a non issue.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
My first kid is "still in the oven" so to speak, but once they're old enough for games, I'm not setting that stuff up in advance...

I remember being a kid and getting a new game for Christmas and running to my room immediately to play (which worked because this was before day one patches). This always lead to a fight where we'd have to go to my grandparents house and I didn't want to stop playing.

Nah.
I'm smart.
My kids won't be able to fight me going to their grandparents house over playing their new game because the day one patches won't have downloaded yet.

Brilliant!
Thanks internet and unfinished games getting mastered to disc.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry kids. It's the end of the month and we only have 60GB of available data remaining thanks to Comcast's data cap. Your copy of Fallout 76 needs 54 fucking gigs of Day 1 data to play. You'll have to wait until next week!

Oct 30, 2017
Patches don't take long to download maybe my internet connection isn't too bad. At most it would take 20 mins. Can have lunch while the patch downloads

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is something I was wondering now that game patches can take hours to finish. I imagine any savvy parent would think to open them up, patch and install them in the middle of the night, and have an early morning present opening go more smoothly. Of course, you would rob them of the joy of tearing open the plastic, but sadly in some regions it's hard to get them new and sealed anyway.

So, what do you do?
No. This is so stupid. The joy of tearing plastic?

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Family first. Just leave stuff downloading over night. Yes, my family are the Hispanic family that stays up until Christmas. lol.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
Bought my kid a ps4 as he desperately wants to play Fortnite.

I unboxed the console, updated the system, made a user and installed Fortnite.

Made sure everything was ready to go and neatly put everything back in the box and wrapped it.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda sad that this is almost required now. It's worse on XBO/PS4 I imagine, with having to install games from disc with the slow HDDs, plus the sheer size of day-1 patches.

Most games have super fast disc installs, at least on PS4. Downloading patches might take longer, but most games run without patches. If you buy "content download required" crap like Spyro Trilogy, that's on you.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
No kids yet, but this is the thought process on when I do/don't pre prep presents:

Does the pre prep lead into fun? : that small customization that leads into the actual product, maybe entering a few details then bam up and running and you can do cool stuff. I let whoever gets the present do that.

Is the pre prep boring?: Is pre prepping basically, download updates or once completed just complements yours life but doesn't bring joy (for some reason router is coming to mind). I would pre prep everything in this category so it's plug and play

Nov 8, 2017
I'm giving my nephew my PS3 so I made sure all the games are fully patched and set the display order of games in the order I think he should play from first to last.