• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm seeing many posts about people freaking out about covid-19, like really bad. But I guess I'm not as freaked out because I guess I am just so concerned about not letting the kids see me freaking out trying to make life a little normal for them in the chaos.

The 9 year old who is in school
Knows it's a serious situation, but we try to keep him busy and engaged (he's working on science projects and building Lego sets and getting into animal crossing.). The biggest thing he is concerned about is what is for dinner.

The four year old is in her world.

Just want to know how other parents are dealing with this with their kids.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
She's doing well. She's aware something's going on as there's no school. We're doing our best to keep her busy and teach her ourselves.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
We had to make the painful but necessary decision for my stepdaughter to stay at her biological father's for at least 2 weeks due to quarantine, where normally we'd be splitting custody. It's been hard on everyone, but we all seem to be getting by and adjusting as well as we can. The wifey and I video call her daily, which helps.

We've all talked to her about the sickness going around, and how it's affecting everyone (she just turned 5 this month), so she's aware but not frightened.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
My 2 year old just face planted on the ground after somersaulting across the bed. She's got a huge bruise on her forehead. And my wife and I almost had a heart attack.

Things are not going well.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Two kids, 6 and 8. They seem to be taking it pretty well so far. There's been rain most of the week so they've been stuck indoors a lot unfortunately. We started connecting to their friends on Facetime so they can see and talk to them. My oldest just held a sleepover last night with her BFF over Facetime which I thought was a bit creative. So they seem okay for the first week.

As for us, it's really been tricky with both of us having to work from home and the kids needing attention. Working from home hasn't been that productive with the constant interruptions and the need to attend to them. I'm not sure how this is going to last for another three weeks if not longer. School is finally sending at home learning which starts next week but going over what they've said so far, it only is an hour a day of school. So that's not very long at all. It's a bit stressful for me at least since I can't focus on them and I can't focus on work either.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a parent, but from what my sister has said about her kids, my oldest niece (14-15ish, forget how old) is more-or-less doing what she normally does (mostly spends time in her room, on the computer), so she's doing okay. My youngest niece, who's about 6-7, is a little bored and not completely grasping what's going on. She's okay though, despite that.

My sister and my brother in law are rotating back and forth on staying home (he can work from home as needed), from what I recall. So they're doing the best job they can.

Now, as for my OTHER sister, from what I was relayed to me and my mother, not... so great. Not sure how my nephew is doing, or my other brother in law, but hopefully okay.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
My daughter is 8, she has a pretty good understanding of what's going on and it saddens me that she does. She's in Connecticut with her mom, I usually bring her every other weekend to New York City, but since nyc is crazy right with the amount of coronavirus cases I thought it'll be best for her to stay with her mom. We video chat a lot, and I'm so glad animal crossing is out so we can play together.

It must be a little scary for older kids. But my daughter is taking it well, she's glad there's no school.

For myself I've been good. I live alone in NYC. I'm a therapist so I'll be conducting sessions via video chat soon. It's been a big adjustment. Being home hasn't been too bad, I meditate and catch up on my backlog of games. I do worry about going to the store. They're packed- I really don't want coronavirus. I have pretty bad asthma.

We had to make the painful but necessary decision for my stepdaughter to stay at her biological father's for at least 2 weeks due to quarantine, where normally we'd be splitting custody. It's been hard on everyone, but we all seem to be getting by and adjusting as well as we can. The wifey and I video call her daily, which helps.

thank goodness for video chat. It's definitely been helping me.

Last edited:

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
My 2 year old has been wanting to see his grandparents, and we keep explaining how they might be sick and have wait a while since they just flew back from Africa (they're self-quarantining). We Skype them a few times a week.

Thankfully his daycare is still open during the week (which is a godsend since both my wife and I still have to work and wouldn't have anyone to watch him) so he's under the assumption that things are still normal in his view.

Oct 25, 2017
3 year old is having a great time. Sleeping really well. Eating well. Busy all day.

My wife and I are exhausted, especially because we feel guilty going outside of walks or trips to the beach a few blocks away to get him out of the house (but at least we don't need to be within 20 feet of anyone nearly the entire time) but having him in a 700 sqft place all day is rough.

he misses his daycare friends, which is sad and wants to see his bff (and we want to see her parents as they're our bffs) so we've done some FaceTiming which helps.

we kinda caved today and watched a ton of TV. Still lots of art and play doh and dinosaurs and LEGO but lots of tv.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Mine are (tomorrow turning) 4 and 1. The older one knows COVID-19 is making people sick, so he's taking a break from school, but he's been lashing out and misbehaving from boredom, and he's pissed that the park is closed and that we can't go anywhere. The younger is happily oblivious.

Working from home with them is rough. Luckily, EA is being super understanding and flexible with me, but my wife's company isn't with her, so it's pretty much me trying to watch them while working most of the time.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
My wife and I are both working from home and trying to watch our 9, 6 and 3 year olds at the same time. Basically they are just watching themselves while we check in on them from time to time. We have them on a schedule which helps a little bit.

I have no clue what we will do if this goes on for months. One of us may need to quit to actually watch the kids and try and teach them all the things they should be learning. Crazy times.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Good days and bad. The kids are only a challenge in that they need to be constantly monitored and time-managed. My SO is being a huge help with that. My weekdays are mostly spent working-from-home, then I spend the late evening and night with the kids, while she Netflixs. Weekends are more balanced.

Give the kids lots of activities: coloring (water colors get messy but/therefore the kids love it), helping around the house/with cooking, reading, doing sums, board games, creative writing (my son wrote an essay on his favorite video game -- Forza Horizon 3, for e.g.).

Netflix/YouTube has some good content:

• Ask the Storybots - really great show that answers common questions (e.g. why is the sky blue, what happens when we flush the toilet, why should we brush our teeth)
  • The Magic School Bus - very nice show that explores scientific concepts in a fun way
  • Numberblocks - same as above, but for maths
  • Hey Duggee - good show that introduces concepts
  • Blippi - more for pre-primary students. Basics of shapes, colors, world around us, etc.
  • Puffin Rock - very nice chill show about two puffin siblings and their adventures
  • Peppa Pig - no intro needed
  • Ben & Holly - kinda like Peppa (seems to have overlapping voice talent too) but with wizards and elves
  • Pocoyo - really cool show. Narrated by Stephen Fry
  • Tayo the Little Bus - it's an acquired taste, which my kids have acquired
  • Oddbods - insanity
  • Captain Underpants - insanity
  • Booba - INSANITY
  • Masha and the Bear - slightly controlled insanity

Oh and directly COVID related: my elder one knows what's going on. We had to educate and correct him since he was angry at China when it all started. He also raised concerns over death, that we had to address. It's not easy, for sure.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
17-year-old daughter is bored and worried about school (not so much it being cancelled but if they freeze students' grades where they are now she would be in bad shape). She's not allowed to go to work (she works after-school daycare which is closed), but at least is still being paid. I went out and bought a Switch Lite so she has Animal Crossing to occupy her (and I have BOTW). I went to the store today but I want that to be the last time for a while. The wife misses going to Starbucks, but I'm in my happy place with avoiding people and staying in the basement.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
3.75 year old is now an expert on washing hands. Told her people are sick and can't touch things. Live in la and no back yard. Ex lives a block away (complicated) And has a tennis court in the building to run around in but trying to link screen time and get work done is hard.

wish she would eat more foods. Downs milk but want to severely limit grocery store runs.
Touched and outlet. Punched me in the face. Had to explain why you can't. Thought we were past that so not sure if it's the isolation.