• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
I couldn't believe it. 100% deserved, great film and I think it will actually age extremely well.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
So bummed that it seemed like Animation was getting more traction and more respect... but this year it was a joke. They treated the Animation award like trash

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
So what happened with the lights and the speech getting cut short? I understand they let Renee ramble on but they wanted to cut Bong short?
I think they just thought it was over and cut away early. Bong seemed to have no desire to give another speech; he was hiding behind Song Kang-ho.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
VF1320-Oscars-Special-cover-embed-03.png

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'd like to think this means we get more foreign films showing up in broader categories, but who am I kidding lol?

Regardless, super happy Parasite won this year.

What a career. Can't really remember a single performance from him I didn't think was good at worst. Even his fun ridiculous turns in stuff like The Good, The Bad, The Weird are so giddy and watchable, despite being so far from his usual MO.

tenor.gif
Ive seen so many of his films and every single one of them was enjoyable, he's so fun to watch, such a great actor

He really is the best. I need to start watching more movies again. I seen a lot his movies but there are so many more to enjoy.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
He produced. Honestly who was the little lady that spoke? I thought the first women was probably the other producer.

She was probably just the best English speaker of the group lol

She's Miky Lee. Apparently South Korean twitter is finding her giving a speech to accept for Parasite pretty hilarious and ironic because she's a part of one of the wealthiest dynasties in the country if I understand it correctly.

But according to the hollywood reporter she's also one of the main reasons American distributors started to look at and consider Korean cinema, so I guess weigh it.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I think they just thought it was over and cut away early. Bong seemed to have no desire to give another speech; he was hiding behind Song Kang-ho.
Bong had already delivered 3 speeches earlier in the night... and the 3rd was spent thanking everyone else that was nominated alongside him. Clearly he wanted to allow that moment for the others that worked on and starred in the film to celebrate and give thanks.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I remember that almost every year I was pissed off SK didn't get a single nomination. Burning getting shafted hurt my soul.

Parasite had to come out in a way that was so decisively good no one with good faith could pretend this movie wasn't the real deal. Good shit, get those awards, and screw the oscars

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I'm still so hyped that I can't fall asleep. This was the best film in the last 10 years (maybe 20? mane my entire lifetime?) so I'm glad it got recognized the way it did. Ever since I saw it about a month ago, I've not been able to stop thinking about it. It's such a fucking underrated film.

Oct 29, 2017
Bong had already delivered 3 speeches earlier in the night... and the 3rd was spent thanking everyone else that was nominated alongside him. Clearly he wanted to allow that moment for the others that worked on and starred in the film to celebrate and give thanks.
You have to be as cocky (in a good way) as Cuaron to have four different speeches prepared.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
She's Miky Lee. Apparently South Korean twitter is finding her giving a speech to accept for Parasite pretty hilarious and ironic because she's a part of one of the wealthiest dynasties in the country if I understand it correctly.

But according to the hollywood reporter she's also one of the main reasons American distributors started to look at and consider Korean cinema, so I guess weigh it.
Huh...no wonder the film basically explode in popularity everywhere. Must be quite the hustle.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
Still the happiest I've seen Bong is when his cast won the SAG award for ensemble.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I was afraid it was going to be too smart for the academy. I still don't think they get the message of the movie but whatever. A great movie transcends ignorance, I guess.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I remember that almost every year I was pissed off SK didn't get a single nomination. Burning getting shafted hurt my soul.

Parasite had to come out in a way that was so decisively good no one with good faith could pretend this movie wasn't the real deal. Good shit, get those awards, and screw the oscars
It is genuinely insane that this was the first time SK was even nominated for best foreign film (though a lot of that is down to their selection committee having a vendetta against a lot of their best filmmakers (list of their submissions here)).

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Huh...no wonder the film basically explode in popularity everywhere. Must be quite the hustle.

I mean, personally I think it did so well at least partially because it was easily the best film of last year.

But it was also picked up for distribution in America by Neon, the distribution company co-founded by the guy who owns Alamo Drafthouse, whose theaters obviously advertised and then played the film for a very long time. The business is still a business.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Really crazy stuff. So deserved.

I need to rewatch Memories of Murder, it's my favorite of his.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great awards. Feels so damn refreshing they actually gave out the main award to a foreign movie instead of whatever English-language Oscar bait was the big thing that year. Similar sentiments with the other statues they assigned: they managed to award a diverse set of qualities without ignoring some more mainstream entries or quality acting in imperfect movies. First time in a long time the awards seem to mirror the actual movies of the year instead of whatever movie's got the most well-timed social message.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I watched parasite before it got hyped and wasn't blown away. It was fine but it's way overhyped now. Out of the nominees I personally enjoyed jojo more but I think parasite is worthy of the award. Just happy garbage like joker or Hollywood didn't win.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Flabbergasted, really didn't expect this, but it's 100% deserved! I'm in shock it won lol.

Such a good film.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I funnily enough watched Parasite a few hours before it won the Oscar, finally got round to it

I went in blind as everyone said I should

It's a very well done movie in its simplicity. Powerful. I imagine there's many people wondering why such a movie deserves hype and praise and Oscars but having slept on it, I think the beauty of its simplicity is a celebration of cinema

Forget monster budgets and effects. You nail a good screenplay and get a good cast with an astute director, then cinema is universal. I forgot I was watching subs within 5minutes. It draws you in very quickly

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, I saw a clip of when they announced the winner and legit got goosebumps.
I've had that movie on my list ever since it got added to the Apple TV library and was just waiting for it to be available to rent.
Will definitely do that sometime this week.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Parasite won Best Original Screenplay, Best Director, and Best Picture. Just typing that out is wild. This rules.