• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Incredible moment. Really has been amazing to see Bong up there throughout the night. Amazing film.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Wow I just watched it a few days ago too!

Not as impactful for me as The Handmaiden or Poetry a few years ago (or Memories of Murder from the same director) but it was a fun watch.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Well, Parasite is very good film, but it is also an easy film anyone can enjoy. You can't really say the same about most of the other Bong or Park Chan Wook films. Parasite is much more universal in its themes, language and even look, and this are the films that tend to win this kind of awards and general audience favour.
I would also add that I don't think Snowpiercer is that good at all, which is probably his most accessible movie prior to this.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty ecstatic about this, this has been a huge deal to all my Asian American friends in the film industry
#AsianExcellence

Jul 4, 2018
HBO already got you covered.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Seen it 6 times at the cinema since it got released last year.

each time it's just magnificent to see the way it all pulls together.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
HELL YES. I was prepared for it to get snubbed for being a foreign film, and this ended up being so much better than expected.

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
Its just incredible how this small country entertainment industry has been dominating in the last couple of years. Kpop, k-drama, and now k-films

Rudr

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
This was definitely my favorite film of the year. Crazy to see Bong's progression from The Host to Parasite. Well deserved.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I literally jumped out of my seat and threw my hands in the air.

Here's the thing, the Oscars mean a lot to me in a really strange sort of way. I know its a cliche, but they're my Super Bowl, even as someone who likes sports. It isn't that I think they pick great films. They do at times, but they also pick a lot of sentimental crap which is solely designed to win awards and not to be enjoyed as a film. The Oscars were my introduction to film though. At 17 I picked up a book on the history of the Oscars and I used that as a spring board to research the entire history of cinema. I made it a goal to see every Oscar nominee in the major categories ever made. I'm not too far off today, 15 years later, though I still have a bit to go.

Part of learning the history of cinema through the Oscars however was learning how often they're wrong and how many blind spots they have. How many great films went unappreciated in their time. How many great artists were completely ignored because they weren't making films that fit the mold the Oscars were looking for. The more I saw, the less my tastes lined up with the Academy. I still followed the Oscars and the nominees, but it had less to do with enjoying the films and more to do with appreciating what they meant to me as a young film enthusiast. Without the Oscars, I might not have my love of cinema, which has seen me through more in life than most anything else. Once in awhile a great film would even be close enough to Oscar friendly to win, or at least be nominated. No Country For Old Men won after all.

Parasite is a film I would never have predicted to be nominated for an Oscar, let alone win. I've been a fan of Bong Joon-Ho for years. Memories of Murder I saw back in 06 or 07 and it blew me away. It's still one of my 10 or 20 favorite films of all time. I've followed his career since, watching other masterpieces like Mother and now Parasite, but there was always a separation between great cinema like this and what could show up at the Oscars. Having that line vanish, even if just for one night, was moving in a way I can't really describe. I hope it will lead to more truly great cinema which gets dismissed as not Oscar friendly to be considered, but more than anything I'm just glad that it will make more people see this phenomenal film.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Man racists are at full speed tonight

I really liked the film, but it is not like I saw a lot of films last year. Well deserves I guess

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why other international movies were never seriously considered for the oscars and parasite was? what happened

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really liked it... but I can't say I was as enthralled with it as others.
I even found its themes quite muddled and almost confused at times.

But happy that Bong took it nonetheless, he is very talented :)

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I literally jumped out of my seat and threw my hands in the air.

Here's the thing, the Oscars mean a lot to me in a really strange sort of way. I know its a cliche, but they're my Super Bowl, even as someone who likes sports. It isn't that I think they pick great films. They do at times, but they also pick a lot of sentimental crap which is solely designed to win awards and not to be enjoyed as a film. The Oscars were my introduction to film though. At 17 I picked up a book on the history of the Oscars and I used that as a spring board to research the entire history of cinema. I made it a goal to see every Oscar nominee in the major categories ever made. I'm not too far off today, 15 years later, though I still have a bit to go.

Part of learning the history of cinema through the Oscars however was learning how often they're wrong and how many blind spots they have. How many great films went unappreciated in their time. How many great artists were completely ignored because they weren't making films that fit the mold the Oscars were looking for. The more I saw, the less my tastes lined up with the Academy. I still followed the Oscars and the nominees, but it had less to do with enjoying the films and more to do with appreciating what they meant to me as a young film enthusiast.

Parasite is a film I would never have predicted to be nominated for an Oscar, let alone win. I've been a fan of Bong Joon-Ho for years. Memories of Murder I saw back in 06 or 07 and it blew me away. It's still one of my 10 or 20 favorite films of all time. I've followed his career since, watching other masterpieces like Mother and now Parasite, but there was always a separation between great cinema like this and what could show up at the Oscars. Having that line vanish, even if just for one night, was moving in a way I can't really describe. I hope it will lead to more truly great cinema which gets dismissed as not Oscar friendly to be considered, but more than anything I'm just glad that it will make more people see this phenomenal film.
Amazing post dude

🙏

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
A great fucking film happened. Also a modern rollout where it launched relatively quickly in the US market allowed it to be a major player in my opinion.
the word of mouth was also unlike anything i had seen for a foreign language film, at least not recently

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
why other international movies were never seriously considered for the oscars and parasite was? what happened
Roma being attached to Netflix last year hurt it pretty bad. Parasite hit in a year where the old voters were likely split (1917, Once Upon A Time, and Irishman) and there wasn't a clear front runner. Parasite is a crowd pleasing ass film and just exceptionally well made. I watched it and knew everyone in my life would love it if they caught it. The word of mouth just kept piling on over the months.

It wasn't my personal favorite but it's a great fucking movie and I'm happy it won.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I can't remember the last time I saw a film this smart, moving, and entertaining.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Roma being attached to Netflix last year hurt it pretty bad. Parasite hit in a year where the old voters were likely split (1917, Once Upon A Time, and Irishman) and there wasn't a clear front runner. Parasite is a crowd pleasing ass film and just exceptionally well made. I watched it and knew everyone in my life would love it if they caught it. The word of mouth just kept piling on over the months.

It wasn't my personal favorite but it's a great fucking movie and I'm happy it won.
Maybe the old timers will stop dragging Netflix now that they're the last ones who will give the likes of Scorsese an actual budget

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A great fucking film happened. Also a modern rollout where it launched relatively quickly in the US market allowed it to be a major player in my opinion.

lol, fellini or bergmans flicks were never serious considered for oscars if at all. its not about the quality, sorry

Probably because of the quick launch and the academy finally decided to give a fair share to international movies

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017

Parasite is definitely the right time, right place. The changes to the academy, each of the three other front runners listed have a major fall and splitting the same base, add in Parasite hitting the right social cues for the time

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deserved. From the ones that were nominated it was definitely the best, although, granted, I haven't seen 1917 yet. Absolutely loved Parasite.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
I don't think it's nearly as good as Parasite, but I think Okja is pretty accessible.
I would also add that I don't think Snowpiercer is that good at all, which is probably his most accessible movie prior to this.

I'd never say Okja or Snowpiercer are accessible, and they aren't better than Parasite neither, I agree on that, specially on Okja. But they have a quirkiness and crazyness that Parasite doesn't have (and that I missed so much in my first view btw - I need to watch it again with adjusted expectations), that I'm sure would turn a lot of people off even if the movies were better rounded. Parasite has that cleanness, that elegant flow that makes for an easier and more comfortable watch.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Honestly, didn't love this movie nearly as much as most of you did--these results are absolutely deserved though. Congrats to Mr. Bong Joon Ho and the cast/team!

Jul 4, 2018
lol, fellini or bergmans flicks were never serious considered for oscars if at all. its not about the quality, sorry

Probably because of the quick launch and the academy finally decided to give a fair share to international movies
I mean sure there is plenty of foreign filmmakers who should of won, including Kurosawa, Truffaut etc. But Parasite is a phenomenal film, maybe you didn't like it but critics and audience scores for it are through the roof.