• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017

This intro is so good and the game somewhat aged better than some of the other games. It also had a interesting art style balanced between body horror and some adult art themes. What I found the most interesting part of this game was the mix between turn based and action where you can dodge and move around to position along side the atb bar, where you stats and buff sped up how it worked and the upgrading of the weapons you can do, it was such a great game. It's such a shame that Square today will never revisit it or have the creativity to make something this different. Another awesome part of this game is it's holidays in New York City and it had some interesting land marks that I had actually seen in real life being a native and that spoke to me as well.

Now the story and the premise is that we are being undersiege by parasites within (Mitochondria which are little organelles within our cells that create ATP as the currency of energy for our cells which have their own DNA sequence due to being formerly independent organisms that were engulfed by a early eukaryote and adapted to create atp for it's host cell) that now gained sentience under the form of Eve where that mitochrondria took over her body and lead a new race to dominance. But her scheme is foiled when the main character Aya Brea, who's body somehow evolved the ablity to resist the mitochondria and use the mutation to force her self to evolve. (The game is kinda a transhumanist fantasy game where you are an evovled human being)

It also had the best boss music outside of Sega games with this banger:

When I first ran into that crazy ass gator the music hyped me up and I was ready to throw down and send his ass to hell.

Anybody here remember that game? If there was a game I'd like a remake of it's this. Take a retcon of third birthday and give us another sing.
Discuss:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I think I may in the minority here who preferred the second game over the first one.

Yes, it was a lot more action oriented and a lot less RPG, but I liked the atmosphere more.

Oct 27, 2017
I replayed it last year. It still holds up really well. That final part (you know the one) was legitimately creepy but intense to this day.

Only flaw I had is the slow walking speed.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've got super special memories of playing Parasite Eve when it launched.

I haven't actually touched it since then. It's one of those games that I'm worried to revisit in case it spoils my nostalgia.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite Square games of that generation, truly a unique experience and sadly we don't have anything like it in regards to gameplay and the sequels pale in comparison.

Oct 27, 2017
One day I hope we get a remake of the first game and the sequel (but removes the sequel's meh parts). They can pretend T3B doesn't exist.

Also I hope who ever wrote and directed T3B never touches the series again. It was so bad and trashy.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I never got too far in it, but yeah. Soundtrack and visual aesthetic are
600065479910096925.png

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting on a revival of either this or 2. Just letting the series die is one of the biggest mistakes Squenix made, IMO.

OP
OP
ShinMaruku

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
I think I may in the minority here who preferred the second game over the first one.

Yes, it was a lot more action oriented and a lot less RPG, but I liked the atmosphere more.
I did enjoy it for that too but 1 played soo differently than most rpgs I played it hits different
I've got super special memories of playing Parasite Eve when it launched.

I haven't actually touched it since then. It's one of those games that I'm worried to revisit in case it spoils my nostalgia.
I think it aged pretty well, I replay it every year.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I actually replayed PE a couple months ago. Mostly decent, but I was DEEPLY frustrated with a specific design choice at the end.
After a long sequence of unskippable cutscenes and a FOUR PHASE, relatively difficult final boss, the game forces you into a chase sequence, where being caught means instant death. After you enter the first door, you see a phone blinking: the game's universal symbol for "save point". If you attempt to use it, the game tells you that "the phones are down", and the delay means it becomes impossible to get to the next door on time, resulting in death and a rewind to before the cutscenes and fight.
I was so frustrated I quit right there, refusing to give it that time again. I watched the end on YouTube; a lukewarm ending to a decent game.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Still never played the first game but I still think people crap on 2 too much. Really wish this IP would go to someone of the author's approval and have it redone for newer systems.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I actually replayed PE a couple months ago. Mostly decent, but I was DEEPLY frustrated with a specific design choice at the end.
After a long sequence of unskippable cutscenes and a FOUR PHASE, relatively difficult final boss, the game forces you into a chase sequence, where being caught means instant death. After you enter the first door, you see a phone blinking: the game's universal symbol for "save point". If you attempt to use it, the game tells you that "the phones are down", and the delay means it becomes impossible to get to the next door on time, resulting in death and a rewind to before the cutscenes and fight.
I was so frustrated I quit right there, refusing to give it that time again. I watched the end on YouTube; a lukewarm ending to a decent game.
I think the save point was always meant as a red herring. And I know what do you mean. I had the same exact issue when I played it the first time. The last phase for this route was always an odd one.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
It's a masterclass in pacing. A breezy 15-ish hour experience with no padding, yet nothing feels rushed or underdeveloped.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
PE remains one of my favorite Squaresoft titles from this era. I haven't done it in a while, but it's something I like to play around Christmas time for obvious reasons. It also helps a lot that with a NG+ save you can blitz the game in less than 10 hours.

What I found the most interesting part of this game was the mix between turn based and action where you can dodge and move around to position along side the atb bar, where you stats and buff sped up how it worked and the upgrading of the weapons you can do, it was such a great game.

The combat in PE is an evolution on some of the concepts that Squaresoft had previously explored in Live A Live and Chrono Trigger. It's awesome.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Its not one of my favorites but Im still fond of PE, it did cool stuff with mixing genres and setting a cool atmosphere. Square was such a powerhouse back in the PS1/Snes days, they havent been the same since the merger (nor has enix).

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

I totally only play older games on emulators partly due to stuff like this not being that uncommon back then. Some save states would really help you there.

OP
OP
ShinMaruku

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
But Nomura was the one who came up with the clothing damage system!

A true team effort
If you see the art fo the game, Nomura was always on that train
Its not one of my favorites but Im still fond of PE, it did cool stuff with mixing genres and setting a cool atmosphere. Square was such a powerhouse back in the PS1/Snes days, they havent been the same since the merger (nor has enix).
I think the merger made the likelihood of things outside the mold less likely.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I totally only play older games on emulators partly due to stuff like this not being that uncommon back then. Some save states would really help you there.
Yeah, I went super old school and played my original PS1 disc. Huge mistake ; ;

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
If not a remake, I'd just take another story in the universe, ignoring 3rd Birthday. Even a reimagining of the story would work.

drtomoe123

Nov 1, 2017
the Bay Area
I happened to play through this game back around Christmas 2008 and was pleasantly surprised by both my timing and how awesome the game was. I really loved the approach and I thought it was an awesome horror RPG with tons of style. I appreciate that they made both PE2 and 3rd Birthday even though I only got about an hour or two into both of them (however some people in the OT on the old site convinced me that there was a lot to enjoy in 3rd Birthday regardless of the haters). I read through the Japanese novel a few years ago and really enjoyed that, as well.

Also, I can't pass up any excuse to post Out of Phase. What a OST...

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
I remember getting this game from my best friend and playing it on Christmas. I still have the case with the Final Fantasy demo.
i wish they would bring it to PSN. It had a fun battle system for the time and I thought the goo in the cgi looked amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
It's like the "Nightmare Before Christmas" of videogames in how it combines a wintery setting with horror. Normally I'm not into scary and gruesome games but the setting has a real vibe to it. Such a fun battle system too.

The Japanese commercials were interesting too, recreating the opening theater scene, or just people going out of their minds.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Parasite Eve is great, one of s series of pretty revolutionary japanese games that changed forever how storytelling in games is done, IMO (PE, MGS, FFVII, Vagrant Story). Nailed cinematic narrative in games.

I still love the weapon/armor modification system to this day. Ability to move perks around and build ultimate custom weapons is pretty underrated, and something I'd love to see more RPGs play with and build upon (together with VS weapon customization system). Creates a compelling reason to look for and keep even lower level loot around.

Remake with modern Action Adventure/RPG mechanics would be awesome. HZD ranged combat in a Spidey-like open world NYC. Damn.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
is it easy to emulate? always fancied playing it but never had the chance. Did nearly buy 3rd birthday though lol

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
having replayed this last year it is definitely still unique but showing it's age for sure, especially the clunky at times battle system and slow walking/running speed. the room for manouvre in battles for example dodging attacks isn't very elegant and feels kinda cumbersome. collision detection is questionable too. It could do with Trials of Mana style remake.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Another one that deserves a high end remaster aka upgraded 3d assets, a. I upscale background, completely revamp cgi cut scene.