• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which do you like more?

• Parasite Eve

Votes: 99 32.8%
  • Xenogears

Votes: 203 67.2%

• Total voters

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Xenogears

Still pray for a Nintendo/Square collab that'll allow Takahashi to finish it properly one day

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I haven't played Parasite Eve. From my understanding it's a contemporary setting RPG? I've greatly enjoyed what I've played of Xenogears so far. Just finished the Kislev section of the game and it seems like I can finally switch party members.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
I'll let the votes speak but I don't think there will be any contest here.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Love both, but for my personal taste I prefer Parasite Eve.
The protagonist, the overall feeling, etc...

Xenogears is definetly a masterpiece though... (PE is not, just a very good game)

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Parasite Eve for me, it was such a gem of a game. The setting and Aya make it such a treat. She's one of my favorite protagonists.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Parasite Eve was more fun and succeeded at what it tried to do, while Xenogears fells short of it's ambitions and was quite a slog. Gonna give it to Parasite Eve.

That said the epicness of Xenogears was really something.

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
Xenogears, Grandia, and Lunar Silverstar Story Complete are some of my most vivd gaming memories. I never played any of the Xeno "sequels," and frankly i'm not sure how any of the subsequent xeno games fit in (or even if they do). Would love a remake.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Both are personal favorites, but Xenogears remains the GOAT for me.
Xenogears, Grandia, and Lunar Silverstar Story Complete are some of my most vivd gaming memories. I never played any of the Xeno "sequels," and frankly i'm not sure how any of the subsequent xeno games fit in (or even if they do). Would love a remake.
Not sequels. Xenosaga and Xenoblade are two new IPs altogether by members of the same team, Xenosaga having been a failed attempt to tell a revised version of the six-episode Perfect Works chronology (having failed as a result of developer infighting around Episode II as well as a massive sales drop-off after Episode I).

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wish they would both get cleaned up a bit, not full remakes but maybe some sharpening, and a few updates to the main models.

But Xenogears.

Oct 25, 2017
Never played either, but I watched a LP of Parasite Eve and the game looked really fun. Also Parasite Eve has a BMTH song... so I guess Parasite Eve.

Nov 9, 2017
Xenogears story and music, at certain points, made me feel very strong emotions I haven't been able to duplicate in any game since I played it like 20 years ago. PE was a very cool concept that was fun to play. Too many gamers fetishized Aya Brea though for my liking.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I haven't finished Xenogears yet but comparing it to Xenosaga, they seem to share a lot of themes and elements. They have different approaches to narrative, characters, and exploration however.

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
Both are personal favorites, but Xenogears remains the GOAT for me.

Not sequels. Xenosaga and Xenoblade are two new IPs altogether by members of the same team, Xenosaga having been a failed attempt to tell a revised version of the six-episode Perfect Works chronology (having failed as a result of developer infighting around Episode II as well as a massive sales drop-off after Episode I).

Yeah, i got halway through that explanation and was reminded why i never fully understood how the games were related. Thanks for the info, though. Part of me is somewhat relieved they're not connected.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One of them is one of the best games of the time period. The other is Xenogears.

Parasite Eve all the way.

Xeno-V

Oct 30, 2017
Avatar/nickname should speak for themselves, but I need to say that I found Parasite Eve to be quite of a let down.
The combat system of Vagrant Story was infinitely better, and while the setting/atmosphere of PE were cool and very unusual for a JRPG back in the day, I found the plot to be largely underwhelming. In the end I would personally consider PE one of the weakest "big names" of Squaresoft in the PS1 era.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Objectively, Xenogears is the more ambitious, epic, and competently made game, even if it was a bit incomplete.

BUT... I bought a Playstation FOR Parasite Eve and I enjoyed my time with that game from start to finish and multiple playthroughs. It may not be as refined and many parts aged more poorly than others, but I just like it better.
tumblr_nhlzhmTrsE1roh6uro4_250.gifv

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Parasite Eve for me.
Xenogears is of course fantastic, but PE is way more interesting imo in trying new things and executing them well too.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't finished either one, but I really enjoyed what I've played of both so far.

I wish there were more RPGs with Parasite Eve's style. Turn based horror RPG with a contemporary setting. Aya seems to be a good character, and I like her kind of no time for bullshit way of doing things. I just wish she moved a bit faster in the game because it gets hard to dodge some attacks if only because she controls so sluggishly. Otherwise the setting and everything is super interesting and pretty refreshing especially for an RPG.

On the other hand Xenogears has mechs and the combat system has these amazing martial arts beatdowns which with the sprite work is just a treat to see. The moves tend to feel super heavy too so you feel like you are beating the shit out of these enemies.

It's tough to say, and to my surprise I think I'm leaning a bit more towards Parasite Eve, but I don't know.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Parasite Eve

Screw Xenogears in its overwrought, half-finished face. Only the music is worth salvaging and the music in PE is good anyway.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
The character combat in Xenogears is a visual treat. Unleashing max AP combos is super satisfying and I love it. Gear combat on the other hand is...why did they limit it to single two-button combos? Why didn't they just extrapolate the excellent AP combo system to Gears? It's not nearly as interesting.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The character combat in Xenogears is a visual treat. Unleashing max AP combos is super satisfying and I love it. Gear combat on the other hand is...why did they limit it to single two-button combos? Why didn't they just extrapolate the excellent AP combo system to Gears? It's not nearly as interesting.
Yeah but giant robots doing martial arts is super cool tho.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both had a big impact on me, but Xenogears definitely moreso. I'm more likely to replay Parasite Eve due to its short length, though.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Bought both as they came out. PE drove me bonkers doing the endgame. The running animation matched up with a slow movement speed, and that repeating Resident Evil style foot step noise.

Xenogears was more traditional, and it's a shame that Disc 2 is an unfinished trash heap of convoluted anime bullshit.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I haven't played Parasite Eve yet, so I didn't vote. I doubt I'd like Parasite Eve as much as Xenogears, but I am interested in checking out the former game.

May 17, 2020
I actually just finished Xenogears. Despite it being kind of dated, mainly in its 90s era JRPG combat and rushed translation, I found it an incredibly compelling game. You can really tell that the plotting and characters directly informed later Xeno games. I'd say Gears, despite its 2nd disk, does the themes of the series more justice then many of its successors.

Xenogears is the sort of game that desperately needs to be remade, ambitious story, interesting combat approach, decent sales and existing fandom, plus the increasing success of the successor Xenoblade series. SquareEnix has been more open to collaboration with Nintendo lately, i think now might be the perfect time for a remake.

Nov 9, 2017
Bought both as they came out. PE drove me bonkers doing the endgame. The running animation matched up with a slow movement speed, and that repeating Resident Evil style foot step noise.

Xenogears was more traditional, and it's a shame that Disc 2 is an unfinished trash heap of convoluted anime bullshit.

Nope, the Sophia - Lacan - Krelian love story/triangle is the best part of the game, sorry.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good Lord the questions some people ask