• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
There's too much other entertainment competing for my time. I don't like reading my way through a movie and not fully experiencing the visual storytelling. It diverts your attention, there's no way around it.
1963.jpg

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
what's crazy, though anecdotal, is most people I know or speak with say they also have subtitles on ALL THE TIME anyway on Netflix due to either bad mixing or they just have hard time hearing sometimes.

But still shy away from foreign films due to having to read

That's a bit different. Using subs/CC in your own language is much more passive.

Nov 1, 2017
Some people have dyslexia or other problems that make it harder to watch movies with subs. But from what I'm reading it it just seems like stubborn laziness for the most part... People do not like to read subtitles but will still look at their phone while watching a movie. Having to read some subtitles is small sacrifice to appreciate the world of foreign filmmaking, if that's asking too much then its probably just not that important to you, which is fine.

This is not really surprising when you consider how many people do not like to read books either.

Last edited:

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I have heard a lot of praise for this movie, and am curious to see it, but is this a horror movie? Not sure about wanting to see it if this is the case.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's right. Parasite is probably the best film I've seen this year.

My family and I are used to subtitles since English isn't our first language, so diving into these Korean films haven't been an issue.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great line. But it honestly didn't sound like shade at all to me. I didn't get the vibe that he's casting aspersions - I've never seen Bong Joon Ho give off what could be interprested as an arrogant energy.

What he said sounded more like a warm invitation, a coaxing.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Look, subtitles get in the way of appreciating the cinematography. They really do. The ideal course of action is watching something on its native tongue, but if that's not possible, I'd rather have a well acted dub.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
What are some other good international films that are available on BluRay or 4k? I already watched Train to Busan.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm baffled that adults who can read have problems with subtitles, or will straight up not watch a movie because of them. Is illiteracy so bad that people can't read 14 words on screen?
Lots of Germans complain when games aren't dubbed In German. Most movies are dubbed anyway, but I guess it's the same mindset. It's baffling, really.

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty pissed off that the movie only got released a week ago, and in a handful of cities here.
Have been waiting for half a year (avoiding spoilers and everything), and now I might not be able to watch it at cinema.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
There's too much other entertainment competing for my time. I don't like reading my way through a movie and not fully experiencing the visual storytelling. It diverts your attention, there's no way around it.

Depends on the person but I take them together and never really miss one element for the other. I even watch a lot of shows in English with subtitles if characters have hard to understand accents or the sound mix makes it hard to hear the dialogue. if anything I wish the use of subtitles was more nuanced and flexible with translations for newspaper, background signs and other things that rarely get a translation. Or worse they do but it interferes with the subs for the dialogue.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Tremendous movie and tremendous director.
Personally in my family we always have subtitles on because sometimes the mix has the characters talking really low and you miss out on what they said.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I wish Netflix still had a rating system. I cant tell which international movies are actually good and I dont wanna have to research everyone I come across.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Some people have dyslexia or other problems that make it harder to watch movies with subs. But from what I'm reading it it just seems like stubborn laziness for the most part... People do not like to read subtitles but will still look at their phone while watching a movie. Having to read some subtitles is small sacrifice to appreciate the world of foreign filmmaking, if that's asking too much then its probably just not that important to you, which is fine.

This is not really surprising when you consider how many people do not like to read books either.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the comment about the phones. I think a lot of people don't like dealing with subtitles because it prevents them from multi-tasking while watching a movie; you really need to devote all of your attention to the screen with subs.

On one hand that makes sense, if you do something like fold laundry or cook while watching. On the other, a lot of people literally never devote their full attention to one activity, and I think it could be a good exercise in patience and focus to sit down and watch a whole subtitled film.

(For me, Parasite was it's own reward. I was captivated from start to finish. Amazing performances.)

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Thank you Mr. Bong Joon Ho.

I've met a lot of people who dismiss foreign language films just because they have to keep reading the subtitles. Like... the hell...

Oct 27, 2017
The reality is that general movie-going audiences in America don't even have a lot of tolerance for English language movies that aren't major studio releases, so it shouldn't be surprising that they have even less patience for movies that require them to read while watching as well. The amount of Americans who would watch Parasite but for the language barrier is probably very small anyway. These people aren't rushing out to see The Lighthouse or Midsommar instead.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you have. It's impossible not to. You're looking at the bottom of the screen instead of the scene proper. In moments with a large amount of dialogue or exposition, you're reading the words instead of watching the subtleties of the actor's delivery. It's suboptimal, no way around it.

Not watching Tokyo Story is suboptimal.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
He's right.

Look, subtitles get in the way of appreciating the cinematography. They really do. The ideal course of action is watching something on its native tongue, but if that's not possible, I'd rather have a well acted dub.

not really. when you're used to subs, you can watch subs and still enjoy the cinematography. Like, i'm pretty sure majority of filmmaker or in film industry, aka peoples who care more about cinematography than most people, also consume their media with subs