• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Liked it except one point in the story which soured it a bit for me.
Why did they (Kim's) let themself get pressured /blackmailed by the former housmaid and her husband with the vid? They had dirt on the housmaid too, she had her husband living in the basement for 4 years and while they hadn't any videos of it, it would have been easy to proof this, since the basement is right there. Instead the were sitting there with their hands up like the former housmaid had a gun trained at their heads. As far as i see it, it was rather a stalemate situation.
Since since was a vital moment in the movie, i thought that this moment could have been written differentliy but with the same outcome of the rest of the movie.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Liked it except one point in the story which soured it a bit for me.
Why did they (Kim's) let themself get pressured /blackmailed by the former housmaid and her husband with the vid? They had dirt on the housmaid too, she had her husband living in the basement for 4 years and while they hadn't any videos of it, it would have been easy to proof this, since the basement is right there. Instead the were sitting there with their hands up like the former housmaid had a gun trained at their heads. As far as i see it, it was rather a stalemate situation.
Since since was a vital moment in the movie, i thought that this moment could have been written differentliy but with the same outcome of the rest of the movie.
That's simple. Because they were greedy and had much more to lose.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Went in blind and thought it was ok. Lots of great themes and storytelling was excellent, but that last half of the movie was just way too unrealistic for me. Overall it was good, nothing earth shattering.
This was my feeling after watching it last night. I felt like a better film would be them slowly but inexorably destroying the family through their actions and then at the end seeing a reflection of their craven striving in what they did with the detached cruelty of the family they were ostensibly serving. I feel like if you're going to take a swerve like that you need to really commit to it like Sorry To Bother You. Or, go full Murakami tone poem with magical surrealism and really wallow in the mood at the expense of plot. Great first 2/3, weak last 1/3.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
now wait a minute!

Barking Dogs Never Die is bad enough that Bong asks people to forget it exists. Its his first movie and he quickly followed it up with Memories of Murder, so its all good.

fair, I have not seen Barking Dogs and generally exclude it from my list. Although I have heard it's not as bad as all that.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think parasite stands a strong chance at both screenplay and editing. Couple that with widespread acting support indicted from that SAG win...IDK man keep hope alive that's all I'm saying.

kingkitty

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to see Parasite. Probably the best film I've seen this year. The entire cast was great to watch. Song Kang-ho is probably one of my favorite actors at this point. I don't know if it's Bong Joon-ho's absolute best work, The Host still has a special place in my heart. But it's certainly better than Okja and Snowpiercer (and those were good films).

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was my feeling after watching it last night. I felt like a better film would be them slowly but inexorably destroying the family through their actions and then at the end seeing a reflection of their craven striving in what they did with the detached cruelty of the family they were ostensibly serving. I feel like if you're going to take a swerve like that you need to really commit to it like Sorry To Bother You. Or, go full Murakami tone poem with magical surrealism and really wallow in the mood at the expense of plot. Great first 2/3, weak last 1/3.

I'm glad they didn't go this route as it was the predictable one and exactly what I was expecting for a good part of the film once I realized what the family was setting up. Its a little too easy going that direct route and the movie wanted a far more subtle and nuanced juxtaposition between the two families.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
Its a little too easy going that direct route and the movie wanted a far more subtle and nuanced juxtaposition between the two families.
Yeah, I don't disagree that the brief sketch I made is predictable in the large, but it would have enabled better performances and exploration of the issues. I don't see much value in the last 1/3 of the film--novelty for its own sake, a breakneck pace of "shocking actions" etc. Didn't move me at all or make me think harder about the underlying themes, just a distraction.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I watched The Host, Snowpiercer and Okja right after this and can consider myelf a fan of Bong. That said, I don't consider any of those films to be weak in any way, and I'm surprised at how little discussion there is around Okja in the first place. I guess people really, really like their burgers.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't disagree that the brief sketch I made is predictable in the large, but it would have enabled better performances and exploration of the issues. I don't see much value in the last 1/3 of the film--novelty for its own sake, a breakneck pace of "shocking actions" etc. Didn't move me at all or make me think harder about the underlying themes, just a distraction.

Not sure I really agree as the final act is directly the result of all the previous lies, growing tensions and actions of the characters prior. One of the film's strongest elements is that all those little asides, comments, reactions and so on through out the film help to inform or guide the audience even if you don't realize it at the time.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I watched The Host, Snowpiercer and Okja right after this and can consider myelf a fan of Bong. That said, I don't consider any of those films to be weak in any way, and I'm surprised at how little discussion there is around Okja in the first place. I guess people really, really like their burgers.
I enjoyed Okja but it doesn't have much nuance and depth in it's storytelling compared to Parasite. Everything was extremely black and white which is fine, but made the movie a bit predictable and doesn't leave much room for discussion.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Okja but it doesn't have much nuance and depth in it's storytelling compared to Parasite. Everything was extremely black and white which is fine, but made the movie a bit predictable and doesn't leave much room for discussion.
I personally like how uncompromising it is. It's ostensibly written like a children's movie about a girl and her pet but it grows into an unflinching critique of the meat industry and consumer approaches to animal rights. And by the time the tonal shift happens your emotional guards are already down so it hits you like a 4 ton hippo ramming against you.

Last edited:

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017

I had only seen, and really liked, Snowpiercer before Okja. Okja proved to me that Bong is a master of tone; I was totally into that super sweet early section with Okja and Mija, totally on-board with whatever the fuck manic menace Gyllenhaal was doing, then riveted and horrified at the inevitable. Seeing Okja relegated as second-rate by a lot of people (not saying you obviously) does a disservice to how well Bong constructed that film.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
It's a well crafted film. I think I enjoy the fact that this film exists more so than I actually like or enjoyed the film. There were a many moments in the film that made me think, and there were many scenes that evoked deep emotion. That said, I am very soured by the film because truth be told I don't like any of the characters, and I feel the movie goes on for too long.

My favorite movie last year was "Once Upon a Time...," however where I feel similar about both movies being well crafted, characters sucking as people, and the story going nowhere (really because the themes/message is about the journey made along the way, lol), I found myself actually liking brads character. although he was broken he wasn't a bad person and was still a major focal point in the story which is something I gravitate to. These movies are doing two different things though. Regardless, the message of parasite is much more inspired and moving in the broader sense, and both movies are well crafted, which is again, why I can still appreciate parasite.

Last edited:

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
So I didn't get to catch this in theaters and purchased it this weekend and was sort of let down. I feel like the US marketing made this out to be a thriller or horror movie, I really love The Host, and wasn't going to be surprised with a drama / horror mashup, coupled with this thread telling me to go in blind really set my expectations where they should not have been.

with that said it is ckearly really well made movie and I am going to watch it again with reset expectations. I would have preferred if I actually had not gone in mostly blind, because I would have been in a better headspace.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Good up until the reveal, then it got a bit far-fetched.

I would have sworn her sending over a copy of the deed and their citizenship ID's was the route the film was going down, slowly taking over facets of their lives.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Watched this today. I'd not been spoiled and really had no clue what to expect going in. Absolutely loved it. The theme of "parasite" is woven through everything. It really sets up and shows off the ecosystem of the division of class in a way I've not really seen before. The comedy gives way to tragedy in the end. For everyone, too.

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
Not saying that the director doesn't know the expression, but he is not primarily making his movies for an American audience, and while there are similar concepts in foreign cultures - they would not use the metaphor of 'trickle down' . They might in Korean - but I doubt it.
In any case, the descent from the house on the hill to the flat in the bowels of the city was more what he was going for I think (or is that too obvious)

In any case it's a good movie, I'm glad he reined in his goofiness a little bit - it spoiled Okja and especially Snowpiercer for me. Liked the nuanced depiction of the families , and the constant shift in style.

Totally agreed - I wondered if it might be unintentional/ a happy accident since the metaphor is kind of muddled in the movie. Either way, a fine addition to the film.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Definitely try to see Memories of Murder and Mother, they're fantastic and have a bit more in common tonally with Parasite. The Host, Snowpiercer, and Okja are his popcorn films.

I agree Okja's weirdly underrated, though.

Nov 20, 2017
Definitely try to see Memories of Murder and Mother, they're fantastic and have a bit more in common tonally with Parasite. The Host, Snowpiercer, and Okja are his popcorn films.

My hot take is that Netflix just isn't a good way to build buzz for movies (looking at the awards seasons track record and general hype/reviews for Netflix movies here).

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I agree.
I liked Snowpiercer and Okja.
I really really really liked The Host.
But Memories of Murder and Mother are masterpieces. Of the two, Memories of Murder has the edge imo, and it's playing for free on popcornflix - a legit streaming site.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
FINALLY. Watched this movie last night, and man... it's Joon-ho's best. Seen everything he's done, and this one just hits the line between artistic effortlessness and pulpy cinema better than his other stuff.

Can't stop thinking about it.

Oct 26, 2017
I had only seen, and really liked, Snowpiercer before Okja. Okja proved to me that Bong is a master of tone; I was totally into that super sweet early section with Okja and Mija, totally on-board with whatever the fuck manic menace Gyllenhaal was doing, then riveted and horrified at the inevitable. Seeing Okja relegated as second-rate by a lot of people (not saying you obviously) does a disservice to how well Bong constructed that film.
I'm still bitter there isn't a physical release for that film.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

high freaking five

I'm still bitter there isn't a physical release for that film.

This and Buster Scruggs are gaping holes in my collection.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018
Okja is bottom 3 of Bong films, along with Snowpiercer and Barking Dogs, but that being said it is still easily my favourite Netflix film and better than 99% of the films I've ever seen. Just goes to show how prolific Bong has been at putting out masterpieces like Mother, The Host, Memories of Murder and obviously Parasite.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
One of the best written, acted and directed films I've ever seen but I still absolutely hated the segment of the film when everything exploded into violence. I expected something "smarter" I guess? Hard to explain, though it recovers well enough even if the " happy" ending was basically 25th hour

Altrich

Apr 5, 2018
Five most fav movies this decade:
-Parasite
-Blue is warmest color
-Boyhood
-Mother!
-12 Years a Slave

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
The last time Era told me to go into a movie blind it was for that movie Serenity. Thank god, I didn't see this thread before I watched Parasite because I likely would have looked it up after that. Haha! (You guys are awful sometimes.)

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I showed this to my wife tonight-it was the first time she watched the film. I had seen it previously. My heart was pounding in the rain scene when the housekeeper returns because I knew what was going to happen and I couldn't wait to see her reaction. It was late and right before it, she looked at the time remaining and said "I can't stay up for another hour I have to go to bed."

Then the housekeeper rang the doorbell and everything snowballed. My wife was riveted for the rest of the movie and never mentioned going to bed again 😄

Jun 22, 2019
A theater near me is still playing this, and I haven't seen it yet.

I'm poor though and rarely go to theaters, but is it worth seeing this on the big screen rather than at home? Would you say the benefit of a big theater experience is worth it to somebody who is penny-pinching?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm poor though and rarely go to theaters, but is it worth seeing this on the big screen rather than at home? Would you say the benefit of a big theater experience is worth it to somebody who is penny-pinching?
At this point going to the movie is going to be cheaper than watching a digital download version. Unless you want to hold out for the movie to come to a streaming service months in the future you might as well see it on the big screen

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I watched this last night (thank you Cineworld advanced screening)

I thought it was a great and very entertaining film.
I'm not entirely sure it matches the crazy hype it seems to have, but it's still a lot of fun.

It wasn't as wild or bat shit crazy as I expected. Before going in I read all the stuff saying go in blind etc so I was expecting it to go bat-shit crazy or veer off into many different genres, but it was all kinda grounded.

It also reminded me a LOT of that episode of Bojack where everyone's hiding in Mr Peanut butter's house whilst he argues with Diane.

jml

Mar 9, 2018

I think you'll be fine watching it at home if the savings are significant enough to make a difference for you. The cinematography's good and obviously better on a big screen but there aren't that many flashy special effects etc. It's not the type of movie where I'd tell someone "you NEED to see this in a theater."

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched this last night (thank you Cineworld advanced screening)

I thought it was a great and very entertaining film.
I'm not entirely sure it matches the crazy hype it seems to have, but it's still a lot of fun.

It wasn't as wild or bat shit crazy as I expected. Before going in I read all the stuff saying go in blind etc so I was expecting it to go bat-shit crazy or veer off into many different genres, but it was all kinda grounded.

It also reminded me a LOT of that episode of Bojack where everyone's hiding in Mr Peanut butter's house whilst he argues with Diane.

I know when I say go in blind its not because I want you to avoid some crazy twist or plot swerve, though at times that could be part of it, but mostly it should be taken as a film that is best observed without a ton of preconceived notions and an open mind, basically a blank slate. Sadly this seems to have the opposite effect and people go crazy with their hype and imaginations and really overthink stuff, or worse are trying to out smart a piece of media before they even consume.