• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Paranormal_Horizontal_Main_RGB_EN-LQ.jpg

"It's not fair to strip the wind of its power to move the curtains, Or strip the rusty door hinges and the effort they make to squeak, and claim that a ghost closed the door." - Dr Refaat Ismail

First off, I absolutely hate the fact that Netflix named this show to a generic title "Paranormal". In Arabic, it's called "Ma Wa'ra Al Tabiaa", loosely translated to "What Lies Beyond Natural".

Secondly, the show is great! It is based on a series of novels written by famed Egyptian novelist Ahmed Khaled Tawfik (who sadly passed away in 2018). The star of these novels is, Dr. Refaat Ismail, a sarcastic, sardonic and cynical doctor who believes in science. He is a balding, middle-aged bachelor and a great admirer of Edward Murphy (yes, of Murphy's law). He is the anti-hero star of the show and frankly carries it.

The show is set in 1960's during the backdrop of Egypt Israel war. The show itself is about various mysterious happenings in Cairo, all threaded by a common backstory between Refaat, his brother and sister, and his romantic situation. There's also lot of dark humor throughout as well, as we get glimpses into Refaat's mind and what he's really thinking. Sometimes things can get a little wacky and you're left with more questions. The script is not as tight as I wanted. But this is a great addition to the horror mystery genre.

So, if you liked the Haunting series on Netflix, give this show a watch!

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I have yet to watch Blyat Manor and have heard real good things about it. From what I gather, it is on the darker, serious side. Is Ma Wa'ra Al Tabiaa on the same side of the spectrum?

Oct 27, 2017
Bly Manor was fantastic. I need to watch Hill House, but after that this sounds pretty interesting.
And yeah Paranormal is such a generic title.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Terrible title, but yeah, the setting sounds really interesting.

You can watch a trailer on Netflix, atleast until Youtube stops crapping out for everyone.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I have yet to watch Blyat Manor and have heard real good things about it. From what I gather, it is on the darker, serious side. Is Ma Wa'ra Al Tabiaa on the same side of the spectrum?
You mean the scare factor? Yes. When it gets tense its unnerving. The other "human" side, I found Ma Waraa Al Tabiaa to be lot more addictive. Just Refaat's absolutely acerbic personality makes it thoroughly enjoyable lol.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Cyka Blyat Manor.

Thanks for the thread, wouldn't have known about the show; going to check it out.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

Luvlaskan

Oct 31, 2017
Three episodes in and I really like it! I do find the show a bit hard to follow at times. They often like to jump between multiple scenes playing out at the same time and it's often edited in such a way where it's a bit hard to follow what's going on. Almost intentionally misleading at times?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Thank you for heads up OP, there are a bunch of good foreign television shows on Netflix that get the generic title treatment. Even when it basically translates to the same I am more interested to check it out if had it's original title because its foreign and fresh instead of the regular US show.

Will defintely check it out!

Last edited:

Deleted member 58141

user requested account closure
Banned
Jun 23, 2019
It was a fun ride. Episodes 2-3 were rough but it ended on a strong note. Episode 6 was especially great.

It's also more of a supernatural adventure series than a straight up horror show. It's probably the best season of Doctor Who we've gotten in a while. :p

Does it have mummies?

Episode 2 is about a mummy.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Imma check this out, love me some Arab horror ever since Under The Shadow.

It was a fun ride. Episodes 2-3 were rough but it ended on a strong note. Episode 6 was especially great.

It's also more of a supernatural adventure series than a straight up horror show. It's probably the best season of Doctor Who we've gotten in a while. :p
Is it comparable to Lovecraft Country?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Immediately added to watchlist. The Hill / Bly Manor comparisons have me raising an eyebrow but I'll try watching it without comparing it to them.

Bly Manor was fantastic. I need to watch Hill House, but after that this sounds pretty interesting.
And yeah Paranormal is such a generic title.

As incredibly good as Bly Manor is, and as surprisingly satisfying a sequel to Hill House it is, the latter remains on top for me. I was in withdrawal for like a year after I binged it! I'm guessing it's a case of liking more the one you watch first. 200% recommended, although keep in mind that the first two episodes are the weakest ones as they focus on the least interesting characters (and, well, actors). From episode 3 onwards it's such a ride. Also be advised Hill House is considerably scarier.

Also watch Marianne, it's the only show that touches Flanagan's work for me. Similarly character and setting-focused, with a very charismatic lead, and even scarier than Hill House.

Scythe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed this a lot. I hope a second season is in production because I'm craving more!

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
The
desert gorilla episode
was really terrible. Completely out of character for the series. But other than that, the show ends on a pretty high note. Its especially fun and unsettling when it's a lot more focused on the family.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter loved The X-Files and she's almost 13. Is this ok for her or is it more TV-MA?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It started out promising but just kept going downhill after that.

Can't see myself watching a season 2.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know it was supposed to be renewed. It felt perfect as a self-contained story.

That said I would very much love to see more of the same crew, perhaps in anthology format like The Haunting of.

The writer and the director already had a pitch for the second season.

Emma wouldn't be able to write anymore because Marianne was the real writer of her books. She would fall in love for an older woman among other things.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The writer and the director already had a pitch for the second season.

Emma wouldn't be able to write anymore because Marianne was the real writer of her books. She would fall in love for an older woman among other things.

Aw, that sounds pretty good. I also forgot the sequel hook with her being pregnant with the demon's baby.

komodothefist

Oct 30, 2017
I really liked this, I don't any experience with Egyptian media, so it felt super novel in that way. The first episode had such a creepy and unnerving atmosphere, so it's a shame the other episodes
had such tacky looking CGI monsters compared to Shiraz.
It made it a little difficult to take parts seriously I think. Even with that, I still really enjoyed it. I might go and read the novels now, if I can track down a translation of them.