• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Paranormal stuff isn't real but it's still fun. RIP

Some of y'all shouldn't be allowed on ghost tours or haunted mansion tours. If you can't play along without doing the Reddit Atheism thing, don't come.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
oh I am not winning any arguments against people who shit on the dead and are proud of it. it always come across as weird af to me. so yall do you.
That's not fair. She was a con artist. That's as close to a fact as I can get. If you want to hide behind some folksy you-do-you-isms to wiggle out of it, and make me look like I'm picking on any old random dead person, that's really on you more than it is me. Taking money from grieving people and lying to them isn't honorable. She was a charlatan. I feel comfortable in the truth of that.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy thread... well, I believe in Ghosts and Demons and I don't need treatment for my "mental health". What even is that? People are mentally ill because they believe in something that others proclaim doesn't exist at all?

Anyway, regardless of whether or not the stuff she and her husband investigated was legitimate or not...

Why doesn't it matter if she was a fraud?

Some of y'all shouldn't be allowed on ghost tours or haunted mansion tours. If you can't play along without doing the Reddit Atheism thing, don't come.

I'm not an atheist.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Meanwhile she died achieving something, everybody else here will die achieving nothing but shitting on others for what they did.

Yeah going to places and making up fucking stories about demons and ghosts while insisting you're a clairvoyant - what an achievement.

Crazy thread... well, I believe in Ghosts and Demons and I don't need treatment for my "mental health". What even is that? People are mentally ill because they believe in something that others proclaim doesn't exist at all?

I definitely object to the use of "mentally ill" because that should be reserved for people with clinical problems.

Your last sentence is weird though. When it comes to the paranormal it's not a matter of people proclaiming things don't exist, it's a matter of people proclaiming things do exist. Things that, by every objective measure, do not exist and cannot exist. And the weirdest thing is you don't approach daily life the way you approach believing in these things that have literally no evidence because if you did, you wouldn't survive. And yet you apply a different set of standards to this particular thing and continue to believe it.

Last edited:

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California

I have no problem leaving reality/logic at the door when doing those things.

Just like I suspend those when watching a Fast and Furious movie.

Tremis

Oct 29, 2017
Personally, I'm happy to answer any further ghost-related inquiries while we are on the topic.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

Why would I do that? It's clearly for entertainment/tourism purposes, and old houses are still cool. Doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a specific career con-woman anyway.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
But this logic is flawed. Someone can shit on the simple minded for 60+ years, but once they die, they can't be called out on the scamming ways.

No way.
Really weird thread to flex the "we should respect the dead" card.
So how long after they die can we start to shit on them again? Would you say it's still too soon for Paul Walker, or... ?
That's not fair. She was a con artist. That's as close to a fact as I can get. If you want to hide behind some folksy you-do-you-isms to wiggle out of it, and make me look like I'm picking on any old random dead person, that's really on you more than it is me. Taking money from grieving people and lying to them isn't honorable. She was a charlatan. I feel comfortable in the truth of that.

I agree with yall that she was a con, I am not here to say otherwise. I honestly shouldn't have even said anything because my issue is one of a personal view that to shit on the dead is a waste of energy. I get why people do it and it's not like it makes zero sense to me or that I find it appalling. I just have a hang up with it because if I am throwing shade part of the act is that someone receives it, and dead people can't lol

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Yeah going to places and making up fucking stories about demons and ghosts while insisting you're a clairvoyant - what an achievement.

I definitely object to the use of "mentally ill" because that should be reserved for people with clinical problems.

Your last sentence is weird though. When it comes to the paranormal it's not a matter of people proclaiming things don't exist, it's a matter of people proclaiming things do exist. Things that, by every objective measure, do not exist and cannot exist. And the weirdest thing is you don't approach daily life the way you approach believing in these things that have literally no evidence because if you did, you wouldn't survive. And yet you apply a different set of standards to this particular thing and continue to believe it.

I can't sit here and definitely prove that it exists at all. I can talk about my own personal experiences that has played a part in my believing in them, but I cannot prove it. I have no evidence. But, I'm also a very open minded individual. Even if I didn't believe on a personal level, I would be open to the possibility that ghosts and such exist. Just because something has never been recognizably or scientifically proven or whatever to exist, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist at all.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck is this bullshit? Seriously, what is wrong with you?
Did you not see the Notre dame thread? I think it's been cleaned up since, but as the building was burning live on TV there were posters in the thread making jokes and laughing at the burning church and people with faith....and same thing here, the Lady's been dead a few hours and the thread ghouls are having their fun at her expense.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
lorraine-warren-2.png

Her husband, Ed Warren died in 2006.

Famous cases include haunted doll Annabelle, and the Amityville house.

Their work and lives were chronicled in the 1980 book The Demonologist, which I highly recommend.

Up until recently, Lorraine Warren was still offering tours of their haunted collection, something I wished I had done.

Whatever you feel about the field of paranormal sciences, she was at the forefront and inspired a generation of ghost hunters.
She was a con artist

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Atheists running wild this week. 1st they get to revel in the destruction of a historical monument and now they get to dance on a womans grave.

As an atheist I take strong exception to both suggestions. No person who appreciates great architecture would celebrate the fire of Notre Dame.

Objecting to an attempt to celebrate the life of a notorious grifter isn't "dancing on her grave." She had a family and friends who loved her and will miss her, but don't expect me to start pretending she was something she was not.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Hold on.... the Amityville was a total hoax? I remember seeing the film as a kid, and that it was based on truth. But in reality, it was all made up?

Sounds like the Enfield Poltergeist here in the UK

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
RIP to her.
I don't believe in the same things as her, but after watching the Conjuring 1 i read some of Ed's stuff and it was fascinating. They believed in it for sure.

Atheists running wild this week. 1st they get to revel in the destruction of a historical monument and now they get to dance on a womans grave.
If anything it's religious people who should be even more upset at how she took advantage of their beliefs in order to peddle her bullshit.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
User Banned (1 Day): Personal attacks, hostility.
There are plenty of people who care about quacks of all stripes. We don't have to pretend to care and we can recognize the world is a better place without their influence.
FFS. It's still someone's Mother or Grandparent that's passed away.

Self righteous twat.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
You'd think the "Don't belittle my/other people's faith!" crowd wouldn't go to bat for a known and unapologetic con artist who only really benefited herself.

Oct 26, 2017
Whatever you feel about the field of paranormal sciences, she was at the forefront and inspired a generation of ghost hunters.

Lol, is that supposed to be a good or a bad thing? Because the way I see it, she just helped open up the field of pseudo-scientific bullshit which has now given way to shit like anti-vax and flat-earth.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

What its not even about that. They straight up had a reputation for not "helping" people, unless there was money to be made. Not just frauds, but scam artists.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Did you not see the Notre dame thread? I think it's been cleaned up since, but as the building was burning live on TV there were posters in the thread making jokes and laughing at the burning church and people with faith....and same thing here, the Lady's been dead a few hours and the thread ghouls are having their fun at her expense.
There were very very few people acting the way you describe.