• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ocean Panda

Banned
Oct 25, 2020
The original was lightning in a bottle. Cage and Travolta at the peak of their popularity, Woo in the middle of a career hot streak. To me that seems like exactly the kind of movie you shouldn't reboot, there's just no way to recapture that magic.

Hopefully they go in a radically different direction and do something unique with it.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
All these reboots of older films that have in time become cult classics i feel lose that cult pulp appeal. Like Look at something like Total Recall or Robocop.

Films that at the prime were probably not nearly as popular as they are today that also received reboots that lost much of the charm those films had
You can also look at Fargo or 12 Monkeys. These are not tarnished.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
I actually really like barrett and wingard so im willing to give it a shot, but yeah this is going to be a tough ass sell without cage

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
wish him luck, but face/off was by far the best thing Woo did in america, i guess the premise is still fun but Cage in his brief role as Troy is fucking amazeballs.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
unknown.png

IT'S A SEQUEL, NOT A REMAKE/RE-IMAGINING

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
This film was a product of its time and just like everyone else don't see the point in a remake.

The Woo + Cage + Travolta combo is what made this movie so special and still holds up as a very fun flick.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Oh ok, sequel. Thats a bit better. Probably a soft reboot though, doubt they would continue the Cage/Travolta narrative but only reference it with new characters

The original movie was so specific in its greatness that it would be impossible to reboot satisfactorily.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Castor Troy's kid is going to a part of the storyline. Sean Archer adopted the kid at the end of the movie.

IT'S A SEQUEL!!

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
This is very exciting!

deadline.com

‘Face/Off’ Facelift To Be Delivered By ‘Godzilla Vs Kong’ Director Adam Wingard At Paramount

Adam Wingard To Give Facelift To 'Face/Off' Remake At Paramount

Now if Cameron can get both of them to do a hard reboot of Terminator that's more in line with the original film's horror DNA, I'll be able to die happy.

Wingard has confirmed that it's a sequel, not a reboot/remake.

Could we get the thread title updated?

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Watch You're Next and The Guest. Having Adam Wingard as director to this movie makes me want to see it.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah the original is a muscular masterpiece of '90s action cinema. Outstanding filmmaking craft and performances elevating an absurd script.

I agree, the film is great 90s action. But like you said, the script was absurd, which was part of the fun.

I'm fully expecting Paramount to not realize this and go full dark and serious, kinda like that Robocop remake a few years back.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i think this is the nth time paramount tried to bring it back. skeptical this won't fall through either

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
well to be fair you can do about anything with the face swap concept, cast about any combination of two actors

lots of "potential" supposedly

I could understand back in the 90s when Star Power still got asses in seats. But banking on that again feels so outdated. Reminds me of Gemini Man from a couple years ago(which apparently had been pitched around since the 90s) . See an A list star fight their younger self! Then they cast Will Smith even though he is far past his prime and the film bombed.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Another pointless, creatively bankrupt reboot without any of the people who made the original entertaining.

EDIT: Sequel? Yeah, still no.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
big no to a reboot, mildly interested if it's a sequel

I mean, you really can't top the absurdity and over-the-top ridiculousness of the OG. It barely makes sense as a narrative and it's glorious because of that.

I COULD EAT A PEACH FOR HOURS.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a while since I've rewatched it, but I remember Cage doing an excellent job copying Travolta's mannerisms and cadence. Travolta doing Cage....not so much. Not terrible, but it was a big ask. Would be weird if they're both back.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
Actually, the best approach would be to take any two of Hollywood's many indistinguishable brown-haired white guys and just pretend that they've swapped faces without actually switching them around.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
"I want to remake Face/Off" I truly don't get how that line of thought can ever enter someone's head. Stupid.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't see how you do this, the original is what it is because of Woo, Travolta, Cage and cocaine. It wouldn't be very dissimilar to trying to "reboot" Con Air, it's a futile effort IMO.