• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is very exciting!

deadline.com

‘Face/Off’ Facelift To Be Delivered By ‘Godzilla Vs Kong’ Director Adam Wingard At Paramount

Adam Wingard To Give Facelift To 'Face/Off' Remake At Paramount
Paramount Pictures has chosen You're Next and Godzilla Vs. Kong director Adam Wingard to helm its re-imagining of Face/Off, the 1997 John Woo-directed action thriller that starred John Travolta and Nicolas Cage. Wingard will write the script with his scripting partner Simon Barrett and the studio will reboot the film, with new cast. Neal Moritz will produce and David Permut will be executive producer.

Oren Uziel had been part of the equation when Paramount set up the remake last fall, but the understanding is Wingard and Barrett are starting from scratch.

Now if Cameron can get both of them to do a hard reboot of Terminator that's more in line with the original film's horror DNA, I'll be able to die happy.

UPDATE:

IT'S A MOTHERFUCKING SEQUEL YALL

unknown.png

IT'S A SEQUEL, NOT A REMAKE/RE-IMAGINING

Last edited:

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Why would they want to remake this

they're never gonna be able to out nick cage nick cage

giphy.gif

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
All these reboots of older films that have in time become cult classics i feel lose that cult pulp appeal. Like Look at something like Total Recall or Robocop.

Films that at the prime were probably not nearly as popular as they are today that also received reboots that lost much of the charm those films had

May 19, 2020
All these reboots of older films that have in time become cult classics i feel lose that cult pulp appeal. Like Look at something like Total Recall or Robocop.

Films that at the prime were probably not nearly as popular as they are today that also received reboots that lost much of the charm those films had
those remakes were not only just missing charm they were also just bad movies not worthy of the names

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Why reboot Face/Off? I like the talent behind the reboot, but come on, make something new.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
i'd much rather see Cage and Travolta get another shot at this, with some cloning shenanigans to revive Castor Troy or something, i dunno

Forgrim

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I rewatched Face/Off because my girlfriend never watched it and...I have zero faith you can do a great remake because this movie is so ... special because of Nick Cage.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure Travolta and Cage will make appearances in some capacity. It's not like their contracts are so much that the people behind "The Fan" and that Five Nights at Freddy's knock-off were like "Too rich for my blood!".

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
what is the point of doing this without nicolas cage exactly
Why would they want to remake this

they're never gonna be able to out nick cage nick cage

giphy.gif
No Cage?
No Travolta?
No Woo?

No point.
I rewatched Face/Off because my girlfriend never watched it and...I have zero faith you can do a great remake because this movie is so ... special because of Nick Cage.
I think the way to do it is to write the characters in a way to differentiate them from the originals. There's no point in even trying to recreate Castor Troy in how Cage played him because you can't emulate Cage. The reboot's Castor Troy needs to be a different kind of sociopath.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I know little about the Death Note anime, but I genuinely enjoyed that Death Note movie (It is also very stupid).

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I like both the names attached, but have no interest in Face/Off. The only thing I remember from that flick is "I could eat a peach for hours."

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
This is going to be like dry toast compared to the absolute classic. Two stoic wooden white males battling it out. Nic Cage made Face Off.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I guess we're just going to be getting remakes and superhero/Star Wars movies forever now. It's part of why I barely watch movies anymore.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna have none of the weirdness or charm of the original. What made it so great is of course cage, but also all the Woo flourishes.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Why revive him when you can just have a new bad guy wearing his face?
a new bad guy wearing Cage's/Troy's face you mean? not sure i follow lol

i just thought the Travolta/Cage dynamic made the movie, so finding a way to revisit that 25 years later would be more fun than a reboot with new actors. Maybe not as financially compelling for the studio producing, but definitely more fun.

Jun 13, 2020
The concept can work just as well with different actors. They just have to find the right two actors. Anyway, good to see this writer and director working together again.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
a new bad guy wearing Cage's/Troy's face you mean? not sure i follow lol

i just thought the Travolta/Cage dynamic made the movie, so finding a way to revisit that 25 years later would be more fun than a reboot with new actors. Maybe not as financially compelling for the studio producing, but definitely more fun.
Yes. The new bad guy would be played by Nicolas Cage but isn't actually Castor Troy. Instead, it's someone else, wearing his face.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I am sad that these two are banished to working on other people's IP instead of original material, but they are a GREAT fit for Face/Off so this is good news to me.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yes. The new bad guy would be played by Nicolas Cage but isn't actually Castor Troy. Instead, it's someone else, wearing his face.
Yeah I mean that could work. I guess it's a more plausible revival, though it's missing the good guy-bad guy body swap gimmick. Unless they go multiple layers with the face swapping, which would be insanity lol

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I mean that could work. I guess it's a more plausible revival, though it's missing the good guy-bad guy body swap gimmick. Unless they go multiple layers with the face swapping, which would be insanity lol
Yes, of course. Sean Archer is still alive, so he'll have to swap faces with "Castor Troy" again to figure out who he actually is or some shit.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
Yeah, I feel like there's a lot of fun/ridiculous ways to go if you lean into it being a sequel and bring back Cage via shenanigans.

Like maybe Cage is some other schmuck who has been living undercover as Castor Troy, who the wider criminal universe thinks is still alive, in order to unravel international crime/terrorist rings or whatever. And then someone else shows up with the same face, claiming to be an undercover cop and that the real undercover cop has been the real Castor Troy the whole time.