• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018
Paramount+ kept hiking up the streaming mountain in the second quarter as some rivals have stumbled.

In announcing Q2 earnings, Paramount Global said its flagship Paramount+ service now has 43.3 million paid customers, a net add of 4.9 million for the June quarter.

The company's other streaming services, however, declined. Total streaming subscribers globally reached nearly 64 million in the second quarter, a gain of less than 2 million. Paramount does not break out the number of subscribers for Showtime or its other direct-to-consumer services, which include BET+ and Noggin.

The total streaming figure included the removal of 3.9 million Russia subscribers; the Q2 Paramount+ sub number included the drop of 1.2 million accounts in Russia, after Paramount Global exited the country because of the invasion of Ukraine.

The pickup for Paramount+ comes as growth for other streamers has been flat or down. Netflix shed nearly 1 million subs in Q2 (though that was fewer than expected), while paid customers for NBCUniversal's Peacock was flat for the period at 13 million and Peacock's overall active accounts dropped by 1 million. Warner Bros. Discovery, which owns HBO Max and Discovery+, reports Q2 earnings Thursday after market close, and Disney is set to release results Aug. 10.

Amid the fiercely competitive streaming wars, Paramount has assumed an aggressive posture. In February, the company (formerly known as ViacomCBS) raised its global streaming subscriber target for 2024 from from 65 million-75 million subs to more than 100 million. At the same time, it plans to boost spending on streaming content to more than $6 billion by 2024, versus $4 billion previously — fueling investor concerns over rising costs that will eat into profitability.

variety.com

Paramount+ Tops 43 Million Subscribers in Q2, Adding 3.7 Million in Quarter

Paramount Global's Paramount+ kept hiking up the streaming mountain in Q2 2022 as some rivals have stumbled.
variety.com

Streaming Investment Spurs Profit Drop in Paramount Global Q2

Paramount Global's continuing investment in streaming offset revenue gains in the company's second quarter

Last edited:

Zanosuke

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad their mobile app sucks (plz add a basic zoom/crop-option so we can watch shows without black bars) and their costumer service is non-existent.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Yeah, the app is garbage. Doesn't work on Android, iOS, or even the built in app on my TV. It'll either fail to load an ad and just get stuck on a black screen or it'll just not play the video and give me a refresh screen

It does work on my Xbox, but the subtitles are pure black small font that is very hard to read. Very frustrating.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
According to Wikipedia, that does put Paramount+ into the Top 10 of premium streaming services according to subscriber count, behind Hulu.

1) Netflix
2) Amazon
3) Disney+
4) Tencent
5) iQIYI
6) Youku
7) HBO Max
8) Youtube Premium
9) Hulu
10) Paramount+

Oct 25, 2017
Well if HBO gotta fuck up, at least Paramount+ saved 2 shows I absolutely love
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of them. Finally dove into watching Twin Peaks, the South Park Specials have been decent and bingeing 48 Hours has been a godsend when the menial parts of my production kick in as a podcast. Nostalgia access to all the classic Nickelodeon stuff is a great bonus too.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I've been enjoying it.

One gripe I have is that the Roku app freakin' sucks. MOST streaming app developers seem to have figured out that if you watch an episode to the end (like to the credits), and you want to watch it again later, they should make it start from the beginning. Nope, sometimes not the case here. I have noticed it specifically while bingeing Star Trek: Lower Decks, and I'm sure it occurs with other shows too. It starts you where you left off on the credits, and you have to rewind. WTF.

Edit: Oh, also, sometimes when I start a show/movie, it will show a trailer for another Paramount show before it starts.

I pay for the ad-free version. ...I call that an ad. Sure, it's only about 30 seconds, so not a real inconvenience, but it's still an ad.

Feed me Star Trek until I burst

Yeah, I've been catching up on YEARS of Star Trek that I missed out on. It has been a good ride.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Star Trek, all the Mission Impossibles, and quality original programming (Evil, 1883) make it a winner.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I got it for Dexter, then they offered me a year at a great price, so I kept it.

Players is probably my favorite show of theirs.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
My sub from tmobile ends in november i think. Doubt id stay subbed until halo season 2 at least

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
With HBO Max going down the wrong path, I'll likely get Paramount+ soon.

Yeah, if Max kicks the bucket Paramount will be where I go. I'd say I'll just do a month a year to catch up on Max exclusives (like I plan on doing later for Paramount) but I'm getting the impression Max exclusives might not actually be a thing anymore so…

LTG

Nov 4, 2017
An absolutely terrible service.
No 4K Streaming, No HDR, No Console app so can't imagine many of these new Subscribers are from the UK

May 14, 2021
How many are from people like me who signed up for 56 cents for two years via Sportsline? I would have paid regular price for one month to watch the Beavis and Butthead movie and new episodes though.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the app is garbage. Doesn't work on Android, iOS, or even the built in app on my TV. It'll either fail to load an ad and just get stuck on a black screen or it'll just not play the video and give me a refresh screen

It does work on my Xbox, but the subtitles are pure black small font that is very hard to read. Very frustrating.

The app works on iOS and my Apple TVs, but I pay for the tier that offers no commercials which may be the difference.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
How many are from people like me who signed up for 56 cents for two years via Sportsline? I would have paid regular price for one month to watch the Beavis and Butthead movie and new episodes though.

Yeah, I've only got it cause of the Sportsline deal.

It has good content but the app itself is a slog. There's no fast way to access a list of episodes for a show you've been watching; anytime I've fallen asleep while watching something and needed to go back an episode, I have to search for the program to pull up its episode page.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still on my one year free trial from T-Mobile but don't think I will renew.

I do like the service for the nostalgia of all the shows it has from my child hood.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing a good number of those subscribers are people like me who get it for free through 247sports

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
An absolutely terrible service.
No 4K Streaming, No HDR, No Console app so can't imagine many of these new Subscribers are from the UK

The app does support HDR, though not on every device that supports the app. It has HDR on my Shield TV. The app does need work though as it frequently hangs or has other weirdness, which seems to have gotten worse with the last few app updates for the Shield.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
I got an Apple TV 4K just to have a good app for the platform.

Huge Star Trek fan, so I watch a lot of Paramount+

My wife also loves that Evil show.

LTG

Nov 4, 2017
I watch on Series X. So there's definitely a console app. Not gonna blame CBS for the absolutely atrocious media app situation on PS.

The app does support HDR, though not on every device that supports the app. It has HDR on my Shield TV. The app does need work though as it frequently hangs or has other weirdness, which seems to have gotten worse with the last few app updates for the Shield.

Is this for the U.K? Last time I checked HDR, 4k and an Xbox app weren't available

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Paramount+ app on my Firestick 4K in Canada won't outout HDR or surround sound.

I had to watch Halo in stereo on my 7.2 setup.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
I've been enjoying it.

One gripe I have is that the Roku app freakin' sucks. MOST streaming app developers seem to have figured out that if you watch an episode to the end (like to the credits), and you want to watch it again later, they should make it start from the beginning. Nope, sometimes not the case here. I have noticed it specifically while bingeing Star Trek: Lower Decks, and I'm sure it occurs with other shows too. It starts you where you left off on the credits, and you have to rewind. WTF.

This happened to me a few nights ago with the Daily Show, not only did it start right at the end but it also would move on the next episode before I could rewind it, took me like 4 tries.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Right now it may as well be Star Trek+ for me, but i've heard good things about their other content that I need to check out

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I subbed last time when it was like $3 for 3 months when that shitty Halo show came out. I stayed subbed. It's good

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Nice! I really think Paramount Plus is going to have some of the better content for the next few years. That's usually how it goes with new services that are investing tons of money at the start, like Apple TV.

Personally, I subbed for Halo and remained subbed watching a few things here and there, even though in Canada the catalogue is a fair bit worse.

Players though, was really damn good, so I think I'll keep my sub for now as I look for more stuff to watch.

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't support HDR or UHD in the UK and Ireland. I got it for free with something else but I never use it due to the lack of UHD

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
This happened to me a few nights ago with the Daily Show, not only did it start right at the end but it also would move on the next episode before I could rewind it, took me like 4 tries.
Lol yep, it's a pain in the ass. What I did figure out though is that if you get stuck in that endless loop, just go back and play the episode BEFORE the one that you want to watch. Play it from the credits and let it end naturally, and then it will roll over to the beginning of the episode that you actually want.

...It really shouldn't be necessary to do this, but it does work.