• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

How do you not have the rights to a single episode of a show you own?

And this is a recent removal too. I watched it just a few weeks ago.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
VoXdwmy.png

who...

who has the rights?

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
DS9 is still on Netflix so the rights are likely still encumbered by some terms of that license.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I'm reminded of Paramount+ briefly having all of Australian Survivor and South African Survivor, including the newest airing season, and then they suddenly didn't. I think their rights guys might be incompetent.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
It's still on Netflix and seems to be on Amazon via Paramount Plus

Maybe the social media person running the twitter just gives out that generic answer for everything?

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Could be a song or something in the episode that a third party is disputing that they need to deal with.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Could be a song or something in the episode that a third party is disputing that they need to deal with.
Musics from the main composer for this episode.

The episode was written by interns and not so subtly based on Robert Shaw's work so perhaps there is/was a behind the scenes legal dispute that requires extra money or legal agreements to stream this particular episode (as any contract in 1993 wouldn't include streaming rights). Or maybe CBS lawyers are recommending to take it down temporarily while an unseen legal dispute is ongoing?

It's just weird that the episode is still up on Netflix & Amazon. Unless they simply haven't gotten the memo yet about taking it down

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I'd like to have all of Trek on Plex, but too much storage required.
Though not like DS9 is available in HD anyway 😭

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
The episode was written by interns
Pretty crazy that the interns of DS9 wrote better Star Trek than all of the current team...

Since I agree that this is a highlight episode of DS9, I hope that it will not be an issue for long. I do have all of DS9 on DVD, but it would be sad if the episode was to turn into a "lost episode".

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Thats really weird. I cant imagine why it would effect one episode.

But I've been watching DS9 to cleanse the brain of Picard. Really not looking forward to DS9 leaving Netflix

Jayde Six

Feb 2, 2019
Ohh did they not remaster it like TNG?

In addition to the reason that Wrexis gave there is also the fact that the cgi special effects shots were done at SDTV resolution so they'd either have to upscale everything that had cgi in it which would look bad next to the rest of the footage or they would have to re-render all of it, and thats even if they had all the original files still in a format that could be put through a modern rendering pipeline.

Oct 27, 2017
No matter the reason, this is too bad.

Hopefully it gets more people to watch the episode where it is available. It's my favourite episode, in spite of all the highs that come later in the series.

Harris Yulin kills it, as he always does.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
They pulled it because they're going to use that episode as a test for a DS9 remaster!

Jayde Six

Feb 2, 2019
Wow TNG file size is insane lol

I know right lol, it's the number of episodes 20 something per season and 7 seasons. Each episode would just fit on a dual layer dvd at around 7gb. For comparison a lossless backup of the 4K UHD Blurays of Game of Thrones clocks in at a only slightly larger 1.83 TB due to it having way shorter seasons. Even though in 4K it's around 25GB per episode.

OP
OP
DrForester

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
If they're not doing a remaster for Voyager, there's not a chance that DS9 gets one. They're pushing Voyager nostalgia big in new-Trek and doing nothing with DS9.

Jayde Six

Feb 2, 2019
Well DS9 is in SD and Discovery has way fewer seasons and way fewer episodes per season too. Just to add to those numbers, TOS is 618GB and Enterprise is 744GB ripped from BRs.

That Enterprise number kinda surprises me, sounds like they did right by them. With the way the studio seemed to just want to be done with it I would not have been surprised had those blurays been low bitrate, stuff as many on a disc as they could affairs.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
That Enterprise number kinda surprises me, sounds like they did right by them. With the way the studio seemed to just want to be done with it I would not have been surprised had those blurays been low bitrate, stuff as many on a disc as they could affairs.
Enterprise is HD. The earlier seasons were filmed wide-screen while the later seasons moved to HD (I believe the 4th season was even filmed digitally).

Also I believe Enterprise's original releases were garbage (at least in the US). Those numbers are probably from the higher quality (and more native) releases that came after

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Also I believe Enterprise's original releases were garbage (at least in the US). Those numbers are probably from the higher quality (and more native) releases that came after

Do you have a source for that? I don't recall hearing it got a rerelease with a higher quality encode.