• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
https://deadline.com/2022/02/star-t...-alex-kurtzman-strange-new-worlds-1234924194/

A new offshoot, Star Trek: Starfleet Academy, is in development at CBS Studios and Alex Kurtzman's studio-based Secret Hideout for the ViacomCBS streamer, sources said. Sharing a name with the late 1990s video game, the series is set among the college of cadets mentored for leadership roles in the United Federation of Planets space force.

We hear Absentia co-creator Gaia Violo is currently working on a take for the project. With the long-gestating Star Trek spinoff Section 31 starring Michelle Yeoh expected to get a pickup soon, Starfleet Academy is believed to be next in the Star Trek development pipeline behind it. It will be pitched to Paramount+ shortly, and the hope is to get it going in the next year, sources said.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Hopefully in the 32nd century as that gives a lot of opportunities for new stories.
Don't set it during the TOS era. ANYTHING but that.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
24/7 Trek. You could do a lot with the idea so curious what way they'll go.

Also good to see there's finally some movement on that Section 31 show.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Godamn. How many Trek shows will that make on Paramount + now? Just change the name to Trek + (some other shit no one cares about).
I do love Lower Decks. Don't watch anything else on Paramount +.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully in the 32nd century as that gives a lot of opportunities for new stories.
I'll gladly take TOS.... Movie era. My favorite designs in the franchise and criminally underused. The entire period from there through the start of TNG really isn't ever touched on at all.

But yeah, TOS era itself is overdone, especially since we're about to get Strange New Worlds there. But I do feel like this is more likely to land within the timeframe of another current Trek production for both production design simplicity and more shared universe potential.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Bryan Singer originally pitch this concept in the late 90s/early 2000s?

Nov 27, 2020
This was already mentioned by Kurtzman during the Star Trek day stream last year. Based on Disco S4, I'm guessing this is going to be 32nd century based, and I'm more than ok with that. We're getting plenty spread across three-ish time periods now, which is neat. I'd imagine that this will premiere after Picard S3 is over, and be that series' "replacement" in the year round Trek rotation.

But please…put that Section 31 series out of it's misery. It's a horribly misguided concept for a Trek series.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, but are they gonna go with it or are they gonna try to raise the stakes and have the Borg invade the Academy three times a season so the cadets have to do something real?

'Cause like, I'm all for some nice, comfy, low-stakes "we live in a utopia but aspire to do great things...eventually" kind of show. I'm just not sure whether the TV execs think audiences are ready for that or if they're going to insist on big conflict every season.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, at least we have a chance for some decent Trek.

Discovery is pretty shit. Lower Decks is decidedly average. Picard was a disaster. Strange New Worlds should be good. Section 31 could be solid. A Starfleet Academy series could be neat.

0/3 at the moment. Let's hope they hit on at least one of the new series.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
32nd century would be cool but please god let the art team take another pass at how all of the future architecture looks, I really don't want to spend several seasons watching kids run around yet more blue tinted Apple stores

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we've been hearing about the possibility of Starfleet Academy for a long time now so this isn't a huge surprise. For some reason though, the idea that it could be set in the 32nd century had not occurred to me but makes a lot of sense now.

Weird that the article namechecks the video game when it probably has nothing to do with the show besides the academy itself, which was mentioned in the franchise long before the game existed.

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least we have a chance for some decent Trek.

Discovery is pretty shit. Lower Decks is decidedly average. Picard was a disaster. Strange New Worlds should be good. Section 31 could be solid. A Starfleet Academy series could be neat.

0/3 at the moment. Let's hope they hit on at least one of the new series.

Wait, wasn't there four Paramount+ shows?

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
So they are really trying to make Star Trek the next Star Wars/ MCU huh...

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

I don't know if he did specifically, but I do remember there were various versions of this show attempted back then, I think the TNG episode with the Academy characters being in a fatal accident was either at some point an intended pilot or was going to be the inspiration for it.

So they are really trying to make Star Trek the next Star Wars/ MCU huh...

If you really think about it, it was kinda the first MCU. The 90s shows and movies all interconnected in a way the MCU is just beginning to.

Nov 27, 2020
If you really think about it, it was kinda the first MCU. The 90s shows and movies all interconnected in a way the MCU is just beginning to.
Trek is a huge inspiration to Kevin Feige. I'm certain that the signatures at the end of Endgame were directly inspired by the sign off from Star Trek VI. It's an interconnected universe spanning 55 years, and with the exception of the three Kevin films, all exist in one continuity. It's kind of remarkable.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
never in my life would i have thought i'd say "guys, there is way too much star trek on TV"

2022: the year that Boba Fett is maybe kinda lame, I'm tired of Star Trek, and i don't really want to watch any more Marvel movies. teenage me would look at adult me in absolute disgust

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I'm certain that the signatures at the end of Endgame were directly inspired by the sign off from Star Trek VI.

That wasn't Feige's idea but yes it was directly from ST6.

----------------------

I was linked this earlier, 2 hours of footage from the 1997 Star Fleet Academy game.
I had never seen this, it's a bit low budget and cringey sometimes but it's also fun to see the original cast again.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
A Starfleet series is the most obvious direction they could have gone in, marketwise. I called this a decade ago. CW-style YA drama would bring in numbers.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know to be delighted or absolutely horrified to have Discovery, Lower Decks, Prodigy, Strange New Worlds, the (probably dead) Section 31 series, and now Starfleet Academy, all running simultaneously.

That's six concurrent Star Trek series. That's as many as all other aired Star Trek TV series (to my knowledge) combined.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Trek is a huge inspiration to Kevin Feige. I'm certain that the signatures at the end of Endgame were directly inspired by the sign off from Star Trek VI. It's an interconnected universe spanning 55 years, and with the exception of the three Kevin films, all exist in one continuity. It's kind of remarkable.

Yeah, I think about how Trek has been doing this for 55 years sometimes when I'm wondering about how Star Wars or Marvel are going to deal with continuity stuff. Trek kinda has an easier job than Star Wars since I don't think anything but the shows/films is considered actual canon, but it's pretty on par with the MCU just having been on for longer. And they almost never get any props for it (possibly because besides for right now, there was only really two periods with multiple shows/films at once).

I knew that Endgame nod to Trek and loved seeing it. And supposedly the plot was based around "All Good Things" which was a brilliant idea. I wish more people pulled from what Trek did well, I feel like it often gets forgotten. Which is my way of saying I want more movie sequels to go "let's make out own The Voyage Home" instead of "let's make our own Empire Strikes Back."

Nov 27, 2020
Yeah, I think about how Trek has been doing this for 55 years sometimes when I'm wondering about how Star Wars or Marvel are going to deal with continuity stuff. Trek kinda has an easier job than Star Wars since I don't think anything but the shows/films is considered actual canon, but it's pretty on par with the MCU just having been on for longer. And they almost never get any props for it (possibly because besides for right now, there was only really two periods with multiple shows/films at once).
Part of what makes Trek work is the creators only really stick to "canon" in broad strokes, rather than exact details. Star Wars has managed to create a fairly consistent visual look since 1977, but that's mainly because that original movie was so well done it was effectively timeless. Plus it's in a "long time ago in a galaxy far, far away". Trek doesn't have that luxury because it's our future, and depends on extrapolating our current technology. So rather than slavish adherence to a visual continuity, Enterprise, Discovery, and now Strange New Worlds (and before those, TMP) keep the look modern, update things where needed, but keep the broad strokes of "canon" intact. There's no reason the adventures of Kirk on TOS didn't happen, but just imagine that they happened on modern looking Enterprise sets with current f/x. Even when they went back to that look on DS9 and ENT, they had the characters marveling over the "modern" technology they were seeing. It allows them to tell stories in those older settings and continue to expand the universe while keeping the overall story intact.

Some purists would dispute this, but I think overall Trek has done a really good job with that over all this time and different creatives.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017

Part of what makes Trek work is the creators only really stick to "canon" in broad strokes, rather than exact details. Star Wars has managed to create a fairly consistent visual look since 1977, but that's mainly because that original movie was so well done it was effectively timeless. Plus it's in a "long time ago in a galaxy far, far away". Trek doesn't have that luxury because it's our future, and depends on extrapolating our current technology. So rather than slavish adherence to a visual continuity, Enterprise, Discovery, and now Strange New Worlds (and before those, TMP) keep the look modern, update things where needed, but keep the broad strokes of "canon" intact. There's no reason the adventures of Kirk on TOS didn't happen, but just imagine that they happened on modern looking Enterprise sets with current f/x. Even when they went back to that look on DS9 and ENT, they had the characters marveling over the "modern" technology they were seeing. It allows them to tell stories in those older settings and continue to expand the universe while keeping the overall story intact.

Some purists would dispute this, but I think overall Trek has done a really good job with that over all this time and different creatives.
Genuinely I think the Trek approach to canon has resulted in one of the least psychotic fanbases of any major geek property by virtue of both its extreme simplicity (all movies and TV shows are canon, nothing else is) and the fact that its complete nonsense (Spock's Brain is just as much canon as The Inner Light is just as much canon as the 2009 reboot). To be a Star Trek fan is to be forced to deal with the fact that at least 30% of what you love is actually fairly bad and you are given no tools to try and disentangle the bad stuff and ignore it. No official novels that try to retcon stuff away, limited interest by the showrunners in really shoving stuff into a memory closet, at the end of the day the only thing that matters is what's on screen and you just cannot be too precious about the canon because Star Trek will resist every attempt you make to try and twist it into what you personally want. The only way to engage with that is at a bit of a distance, and honestly after seeing how other fanbases react when the creative teams behind their favorite work start trying to "clean things up" but don't do it "the right way", I think its the best approach

Nov 27, 2020
Genuinely I think the Trek approach to canon has resulted in one of the least psychotic fanbases of any major geek property by virtue of both its extreme simplicity (all movies and TV shows are canon, nothing else is) and the fact that its complete nonsense (Spock's Brain is just as much canon as The Inner Light is just as much canon as the 2009 reboot). To be a Star Trek fan is to be forced to deal with the fact that at least 30% of what you love is actually fairly bad and you are given no tools to try and disentangle the bad stuff and ignore it. No official novels that try to retcon stuff away, limited interest by the showrunners in really shoving stuff into a memory closet, at the end of the day the only thing that matters is what's on screen and you just cannot be too precious about the canon because Star Trek will resist every attempt you make to try and twist it into what you personally want. The only way to engage with that is at a bit of a distance, and honestly after seeing how other fanbases react when the creative teams behind their favorite work start trying to "clean things up" but don't do it "the right way", I think its the best approach
I've seen the Trek fanbase get plenty psychotic numerous times over the years. Most notably when TNG premiered, when ENT was revealed, and these days with the new series. I'm not sure it's any more or less psychotic than any other fanbase…but then again, I try not to engage with many other fans IRT things I like. It was wanting to talk Trek again (and other things I like) that prompted me to end my years of lurking here, where there is quite a bit more balance than on FB or YouTube, or even Trek dedicated forums.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

Starfleet Academy has been considered since Star Trek V bombed. There was a thought that doing a story about the TOS crew but younger, they could save money by not bringing back most of the actors. Nimoy worked his ass off to get a proper VI made.

Nov 27, 2020
Starfleet Academy has been considered since Star Trek V bombed. There was a thought that doing a story about the TOS crew but younger, they could save money by not bringing back most of the actors. Nimoy worked his ass off to get a proper VI made.
The premise of Harve Bennett's version was very close to what we eventually got in Trek 09 as well. Minus the time traveling Spock.