• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Wester: "To clarify I'm not taking about Steam."

Era: "Let's make this about Steam."

LOL.
I mean, Steam is a big factor in this, whether people like it or not. Paradox owes their success (and, quite likely, their continued existence) to the platform. As far as eight years ago, 90% of their sales were digital, with Steam of course being the major distributor. Without a solid distribution platform for their mostly-niche, mostly-PC catalog, they would not be anywhere near where they are today.

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing is cloud saves and multiplayer, two features I can't use on my PS4 because I don't give Sony more money for them.

And sure, you can argue that it's not the publisher's problem, and they should be able to opt out of those for a better cut, but surely it also makes the console cut even more of an issue since they're not even providing that, under the argument that those services cost money, so they need to charge users.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Paradox: Hey Tim Sweeney, please pay us a shit ton of money to become EGS exclusive and shit on all of our loyal Steam customers

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Oh great, like I needed ANOTHER reason to hate Paradox besides their overpriced DLC, their annoying tendency to change their games from patch to patch, their Alt-Right sympathies, their handling of the White Wolf debacle, and their CEO being a humongous prick.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
People absolutely think it costs effectively nothing to run a service like Steam. The tip off is that they simultaneously want great customer support, a client overhaul, tons of features, refunds, etc. while wanting the company to earn two thirds less revenue.

Meanwhile other stores that take as much while charging you for online play aren't subject to the same demands.
Yep. It makes it very hard to even reasonably discuss this subject.

Too many variables to input that we have little to no actual insight into, leading to a clear misunderstanding of how much things cost to run.

Like, how does anyone affirm or disagree with what a "fair" cut is if they have no insight into the actual numbers involved in determining the cut or the value the services in question provide?

Seems like a lot of gut feelings and not a lot of data...about a subject that is wholly WHOLLY dependent on what the data says. What is the point or value of a discussion where every aspect of it is wholly conjecture at best and baseless guesses more often than not?

Well anyway, I hope that it works out for everyone involved. More money for devs is a good thing when they actually see that additional money. If they can get more money without the difference being passed along to us consumers...cool.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I am not at all convinced the practice of trying to undercut the 70/30 split is viable in the long run.

I would want to see EPICs math here. And I want to see how much it's been leveraging the giant pile of cash that Fortnite gave them. I want to see their roadmap for making their platform more than a basic game downloader.

I want to see if they want to change the % cuts just as a way to undermine everyone else. I don;t believe for one second theres any altruism involved here - and no one should.

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
30% is too much. People list all the stuff that Steam offers, why is it worth 30% instead of 28? 25? 20?

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even like Valve or much care for Steam, but this is the reality, simply put:

2004-2016ish devs: hey Steam is great, finally PC is a viable platform and we're generally making money like nobody's business.

2016-present devs: there's too much quality competition, so when my lackluster derivative game fails i'll just blame Steam and ignore that their features need money to develop and maintain.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
They're connected. Their subordinate company doing a AMA on 8chan without anyone really reacting until Not-At-All-Surprising outrage, and them putting an edgelord in charge of somewhat progressive if at times tonally deaf rpg brand and letting their flagship books have dog-whistles and outright horrendous shit like the Chechnya part in it. Then you can just see what types of people turn up to defend those things and connect the dots.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
User banned (3 days): drive-by trolling
Steam is just a racket. I am all for other storefronts stealing its thunder

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Paradox: Hey Tim Sweeney, please pay us a shit ton of money to become EGS exclusive and shit on all of our loyal Steam customers

x5vkYmx.jpg

Steam hosts close to 5 thousand unique mods for EU4 alone.

They also seamlessly auto-update the ones you're subscribed to the moment the creator uploads revised content.

Yeah, Paradox would do just great on EGS. :p

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
An unspoken aspect of the debate is who publishers are paying 30% to. Publishers increasingly see themselves as a platform. They think they can distribute games to players directly, and they don't like giving money to entities they view as competition.

We're not seeing the negotiations w/ Stadia, but probably a lot of the big publishers envision a future where they stream games to players with no middle man. Obviously they don't have the infrastructure to do that, so long-term, the cost associated with a service like Stadia need to take the form of cloud service fees rather than a typical store revenue %.

We could have a future where Amazon/AWS is effectively a platform holder, but end-users only see the branding of EA/Activision/Bethesda.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
They're connected. Their subordinate company doing a AMA on 8chan without anyone really reacting until Not-At-All-Surprising outrage, and them putting an edgelord in charge of somewhat progressive if at times tonally deaf rpg brand and letting their flagship books have dog-whistles and outright horrendous shit like the Chechnya part in it. Then you can just see what types of people turn up to defend those things and connect the dots.
The AMA was THQ-Nordic, not related with Paradox in anything.

The White Wolf was acting semi-independently until that happened when Paradox fired the guys responsible and took full editorial control...

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
x5vkYmx.jpg

They also seamlessly auto-update the ones you're subscribed to the moment the creator uploads revised content.

They don't care. They just want more money. I'm sure the next Paradox game will be EGS exclusive. Fuck Tim Sweeney and his POS store

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Don't buy the DLC then? DLC keeps their games supported and updated over many years instead of being dropped quickly after release. The base games are feature complete.
I love their games but how can you say this without dying of laughter after they just released imperator?

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to know if people would still rally for a higher dev cut if that means passing that cost to the consumer. Because companies surely wont eat that extra cost lol

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
The AMA was THQ-Nordic, not related with Paradox in anything.

The White Wolf was acting semi-independently intil that happened when Paradox fired the guys responsible and took full editorial control...
...You're right there. I actually have no goddam idea why I mixed those up.
I'm bit of an idiot today.

Yeah, the full editorial control came after ANOTHER set of outrage and I talked to a freelancer working for them at the time who said it was basically bullshit. They moved people from the limelight at first, having no intentions of doing anything once the furor died down. THen just deciding to grab control because it had turned out to be more of a mess than expected, with a LOT of former writers for WW in the shape of Onyx Path outraged as well.
Then there's their handling of the Zak Sabbath thing which would be enough for me to hate them. "Oh, yeah we know we have gotten hard proof this person harassed people, enabled doxxers and named a manhating psycho transgender massmurder vampire after a trans woman who he had a beef with...But I don't see the issue?"

boi

Nov 1, 2017
I think the outrage is because of moneyhatting by Epic, not because of the split. How someone can argue against the Epic Store revenue share ratio is beyond my understanding.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't really been following the story too heavily, is there a link to where Epic said their split isn't sustainable?
This is just one example for the many misleading things in these threads to defend the holy cow (aka Steam).
Depending on the payment method you choose you might have to pay a payment processing fee:

Btw: I can choose from 8 different payment methods in their store and only one adds an extra fee (Germany).

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
30% is too much. People list all the stuff that Steam offers, why is it worth 30% instead of 28? 25? 20?

That overall percent cut for Steam can be reduced by the percentage of games redeemed as Steam keys, which devs can generate for free and sell elsewhere. There was a thread a while back that showed some games on Steam could be near ~50% redeemed as keys bought from elsewhere. So for all those copies sold, Valve only actually got ~15%.

Someone correct me if that's wrong though.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question: What do you think is the cut for retail copies for the publisher ?

As for the rest: Did I say they should stop charging royalty fees ? No.
What I'm saying though: Saying that "They deserve their 30% more than Valve because they sell hardware" is silly to say the least. Why do you charge ? Because you provide a service. Either to the customer or the developper. Selling a hardware at a profit in the long run isn't a service. It is one for Sony/MS/Nintendo indeed. But they're not handing consoles for free. Establishing a userbase has nothing to do with the cut you take from each sales, it's ridiculous.
read your post again and tell me that you arent arguing against royalty fees. Sony charging 30% makes sense because they include the royalty cut in there. if they were asking for a 10-20% royalty cut after the 30% digital sale cut then im with you.

sorry but what you are saying is making no sense to me

I read several estimates last gen, and this is typically how each sale breaks down:

20% retailer cut
10% platform royalty cut
5% Distribution and packaging

Pachter said something about returns but i dont think that applies anymore because retailers simply sell the games at reduced pries.

What Sony and MS are doing is that they are merging together the retailer cut and the platform royalty cut. i am not discussing why royalty cuts are a thing. just trying to make sense of your post is giving me a headache. so lets just get past that. i think 20% cut for ANY digital store is hilariously high because their operating costs are much lower when compared to gamestop which has to have brick and mortar stores everywhere. 10% makes more sense to me, but i dont know what their operating costs are for hosting servers and paying network engineers who cost more than your average gamestop employee. though i highly doubt they have tens of thousands of engineers dedicated to the digital store.

Epic has shown that they can make a profit with just a 12% cut and i believe them. I know Sony has said that they dont want to undercut the retailers at launch so as to not steal any sales from them. i wouldnt be surprised if they are sticking with 20% digital cut and 10% royalty fee to keep retailers happy for now. i think in a digital only future, they will do a 20% cut and call it a day.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
I think the outrage is because of moneyhatting by Epic, not because of the split. How someone can argue against the Epic Store revenuenshare ratio is beyond my understanding.
Uh, easy?
Maybe some indy devs gets more money from such a share and will thus be able to do more games/make a living out of it...But if any bigger dev/publisher gets more money that is just more money for the shareholders/wealthy People at the top.
Or shall we start discussing a theoretical value of services? Because if that's the case a lot of professions should earn more than peddlers of entertainment.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
read your post again and tell me that you arent arguing against royalty fees. Sony charging 30% makes sense because they include the royalty cut in there. if they were asking for a 10-20% royalty cut after the 30% digital sale cut then im with you.

I read several estimates last gen, and this is typically how each sale breaks down:

20% retailer cut
10% platform royalty cut

Pachter said something about returns but i dont think that applies anymore because retailers simply sell the games at reduced pries.

What Sony and MS are doing is that they are merging together the retailer cut and the platform royalty cut. i am not discussing why royalty cuts are a thing. just trying to make sense of your post is giving me a headache. so lets just get past that. i think 20% cut for ANY digital store is hilariously high because their operating costs are much lower when compared to gamestop which has to have brick and mortar stores everywhere. 10% makes more sense to me, but i dont know what their operating costs are for hosting servers and paying network engineers who cost more than your average gamestop employee. though i highly doubt they have tens of thousands of engineers dedicated to the digital store.

Epic has shown that they can make a profit with just a 12% cut and i believe them. I know Sony has said that they dont want to undercut the retailers at launch so as to not steal any sales from them. i wouldnt be surprised if they are sticking with 20% digital cut and 10% royalty fee to keep retailers happy for now. i think in a digital only future, they will do a 20% cut and call it a day.
Wrong, from Ubisoft

ubi-3.png

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Post #6 clarifies the original tweet was not about Steam specifically.

Cue most of the thread talking about Steam.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

20% retailer cut
10% platform royalty cut

How has Epic shown 12% is sustainable when they can't even pay all their payment processor fees and passes many of them off to consumers?

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I think eventually Steam may capitulate a bit and go to a 25 or 20 percent share, but I worry what kind of knock on effect that could have on the huge number of smaller stores.

They did make the change to improve revenue share for very successful games which drive traffic to the store, but what I'd really like to see is something that made a very small cut for the first $100,000 or $200,000 dollars earned. Something like 10 or 5 percent or maybe less if it's not your first game or something. A low cut at this amount of revenue would affect a huge number of devs of the smallest experiences. I wish I knew the breakdown of what percentage of revenue Steam gets from games that gross less than $250,000 to see if this kind of plan would even heavily effect their overall revenue. It would certainly be felt by hundreds of little devs.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
30%, the bigger you get, the less you pay, down to 20%.
Was changed to this around the time the Epic store was announced.
That's all backwards, PC gaming will be ruined, no wonder we're seeing Shenmue 3 etc as EGS exclusives. The big devs is getting a better deal and will stay for awhile until they want even more Ferraris or until they launch their own store front, while the smaller devs get forced to starve or crawl to EGS and piss off the few fans they have.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
Uh, easy?
Maybe some indy devs gets more money from such a share and will thus be able to do more games/make a living out of it...But if any bigger dev/publisher gets more money that is just more money for the shareholders/wealthy People at the top.
Or shall we start discussing a theoretical value of services? Because if that's the case a lot of professions should earn more than peddlers of entertainment.
I don't get your argument. Its either the money goes to the service provider (Epic or Valve) or to the publisher which in both cases are large corporations with shareholders (even if they are privately owned). Both are in it for the hard money.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

20% retailer cut
10% platform royalty cut

I readed my post. I stand by what I said: Justifying a digital cut with "selling hardware" isn't making any slight of sense.

Also your data is wrong:
www.resetera.com

Ubisioft: Retail game margins are 55% (vs 70% digital), Sony/MS/Nintendo take $12 in COGS per game

25% is the retailer's margin ($15 at $60, $5 at $20). 20% is the licensing fee + cost of goods from Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo for making a retail game ($12, and from previous conversations with industry figures, this is static regardless what you're charging). By comparison, it's a flat 30% with...

That's 25% for the distribution and 20% for the platform holder.
45% in total.

Also, I'll explain to you why you're being clueless about how storefront cuts work.
First of all, you're wrong on one thing:
"Epic has shown they can make a profit with just a 12% cut".
With their 12% cut, Epic has demonstrated two things:
- It's not enough to the point if a payment processor is a bit too high (7%) they have to charge the customer for it.
- It's the reason why Epic Store is lacking a lot of features, because they run on razor thin margins.
- It's working so well for Epic that for an entire month, they took a 10 dollars hit for every sale because they cant get customers.

How much do you think operating servers cost ? How much do you think operating dedicated multiplayer servers costs ? How much do you think developping and maintaining an SDK API for an entire ecosystem costs ? Are digital stores making a profit ? Sure they do. But that's how you grow a platform. With profits. If you want them to run on razor thin margins, that means the customer will pay the price and you'll see no features.

As for 30% being too high, I'll let you read this:

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not at all convinced the practice of trying to undercut the 70/30 split is viable in the long run.

I would want to see EPICs math here. And I want to see how much it's been leveraging the giant pile of cash that Fortnite gave them. I want to see their roadmap for making their platform more than a basic game downloader.

I want to see if they want to change the % cuts just as a way to undermine everyone else. I don;t believe for one second theres any altruism involved here - and no one should.

It's not a true 70/30, esp for Paradox given how many other places they sell their stuff and the fact their games usually hit the lower share threshhold.

I'm guessing for Paradox it's more like 21-22%.

The revenue split doesn't matter to me as a consumer though- that's between Valve and publishers. If the publishers go to Epic, I can just ignore them- I got enough backlog and games I like that I don't need to go to Epic.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
x5vkYmx.jpg

Theoretically their next generation of games could use Paradox's infrastructure for mod hosting.

That would solve "the white supremacist problem" they ran into with Stellaris (and everything else) because they now have even more control over the mods and can implement better automated curation rather than having to deal with reactive modding through Steam's laissez faire policies.

Similarly, it would actually make any other platform viable. I am sure lots of us would love to grab it on GoG so it is "drm free" but would not do that because of a complete lack of mods. If the mods are decoupled from the storefront then you can buy it wherever you want.

Obviously the risk is that it would be like Bethesda's mod service and completely suck. But my limited exposure to the Paradox launcher/store seems "okay". Nothing great, but also not a tire fire.

Similarly, this could potentially lead to more support for Nexus and other similar sites. I am less keen on that, but decoupling mods from stores in general is a really good thing (that can go really wrong)

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
70/30 is huge, but at the same time you're getting access to tons of functionality on Steam.
for something like PSN or XBL to take a the same cut for less than half the amount of features? THAT'S a ripoff. PSN and XBL have absolutely no reason to follow the 70/30 rule (and NSO for that matter now). console space should follow the 88/12 cut, Steam should go 80/20. That way everyone is happy.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, the guy i was replying to mentioned that already. For digital, Sony, Nintendo and MS dont seem to charge royalty fees and and add it to their 30% cut which is exactly what i said.

The distributor margin total also adds up to what i thought. 20% retailer cut and 5% distribution costs. I had no idea they were charging ubisoft 20% fees on retail sales. thats a huge scam.

Anyway, i found my original source. this wasnt the only one. it could just be OnLive fudging the numbers (retailer margin is way too high) but i remember reading several estimates that came to a similar conclusion. Pachter had them at 10% and i vaguely recall reading a gamespot article back in the day that had similar breakdowns.

18j3z1b9en48ajpg.jpg

latimesblogs.latimes.com

Anatomy of a $60 video game

This article was originally on a blog post platform and may be missing photos, graphics or links.