• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell yes. I'm sure this won't have long legs (I'd be surprised if it received even as much support as Imperator) but it'll be interesting for sure. Hopefully they can figure out a way to make it less railroaded than the first two games, though the compressed timeline will always make that difficult.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Soviet focused HoI IV DLC and Vicky 3.

tenor.gif

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
It's amusing the thing he said he wasn't working on (going so far as to cook up a visual novel) turned out to be the thing he was working on. I eagerly look forward to seeing what ~2 years of work by Wiz and his team will result in.

Mr.Arrow

Dec 6, 2018
Victoria 3 Q&A from the Discord

Question by @2Hats: What was it like watching people beg for Victoria 3 when you were already working on it?

Answered by @Mario (MrNibbles) Lasan: Very exciting - and naturally pressure to live up to the expectations

Question by @KingWashingtonII: Is it possible to turn the USA into an imperial monarchy in Victoria 3?

Answered by @Ofaloaf: Any country can be turned around politically- I'm quite proud of what monarchist America appears as on the map, personally.

Question by @A_Spec: how extensive are the production chains compared to V2? Are there more steps/intermediate products or does the process work differently all together?

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward: I would say the production chains are a step up from V2 in terms of complexity with the addition of Production Methods - won't be giving too much detail on that for now though, but of course there will be a dev diary on it at some point!

Question by @Trenek: What day of the week will we be getting Dev Diaries?

Answered by @Daniel "StarNaN" Olsson: For now we can't promise a specific day, but they will be released on a weekly basis.

Question by @IxarOfTheBargains: Will there be mission trees for nations in Victoria III? And if so, which nations can we expect to have a tree at the start?

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward: No mission trees or focus trees as the society building aspect of the game means that we don't want there to be a handful of 'correct' paths to take a nation, there will be mechanics to encourage (but not railroad) historical nation formations though

Question by @Nicolas: I personally enjoyed playing Victoria 2 multiplayer even if I had to use third-party tools to make it possible. But will the multiplayer experience be made more approachable and stable in Victoria 3?

Answered by @Johan "KaiserJohan" Jons: It is based on the same multiplayer tech as Imperator and Crusader Kings 3 so yes!

Question by @jr8825: will there be economic crashes?

Answered by @Paul "PDJR_Alastorn" Depre: Yes and sometimes they will not be just because of player mismanagement. 🙂 They supply and demand within markets and the results chosen by the player and ai nations can see economic crisis form on a national and international level.

Question by @General_WCJ: us Vicky 3 the prject you are most proud of working on?

Answered by @Mario (MrNibbles) Lasan: Yes, and I've been part of all the PDS games sicne 8 years back

Question by @DanielSVT: what are the dots in the sea on the sreenshots? are they trade routes? can we raid/blockade a country economy in war?

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward: They are shipping routes - we're not ready to talk more about that yet though

Question by @Lagoshao: Will the game be more approachable, as someone who has not played the previous instalments in the trilogy?

Answered by @Daniel "StarNaN" Olsson: The intent is that the game should be more approachable without losing the depth that previous installments have.

Question by @TrainMaster_123: will vic 3 have multiple start dates?

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward: No additional start dates, wouldn't completely rule out adding earlier dates like 1821 or 1822 after release but we want to focus on the "core century" of 1836-1936

Question by @Grimn: Will each market have its own prices?

Answered by @Paul "PDJR_Alastorn" Depre: Each market will have its own price for the goods bought and sold on them, this is set on a basic level by supply and demand within the market. You may find that goods in your domestic national market are more expensive than those abroad, and seek trade to take advantage of this. We go into this in a broader scope in the Vickynomics Panel.

Question by @Pizza: How will anarchism work?

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward: We don't want to go too much more into detail on this right now but the Anarchism we're aiming to simulate is something akin to a confederation of self-governing communities with extensive local rule and weaker central power

Question by @Scotty vi Britannia: Will we get formable nations? like imperial Federation for example

Answered by @Daniel "StarNaN" Olsson: There will be formable nations, but we will not go into any details for now

Question by @Taaviest: What is the hardest thing to program in Victoria 3

Answered by @Johan "KaiserJohan" Jons: Not sure about hardest but one of the most time-consuming is for example Markets/Economy or just general UX

Question by @Edwardtheking555: So I haven't played Vic2, but I am interested in Vic3. So how detailed will the tutorial be and have you already picked a starting nation? Will there be tool tips like in CK3 where there is an in game wiki and you can just search up things you wish to know more about? I really liked that feature in CK3 and it helped me quite a bit in learning the new mechanics and what certain things meant. Also when will the Zeppelin link work?

Answered by @Mikael Andersson: Tutorial is for obvious reasons worked on very late in development so I can't give you details here, but our intent is that the tutorial should be flexible enough to accommodate several different suggested countries, from small to medium-sized. The tutorial should be enough to teach you all the basics you need to know to start to play, but more advanced understanding about the game is something you're intended to be able to arrive at through your own by exploring tooltips, "Vickypedia" articles, and just seeing the consequences of your actions. As for the Zeppelin newsletter sign-up bonus, it's a technical problem that's being worked on but will probably take until tomorrow to resolve!

Question by @Lazdona: Do you use any history books in your research? Which ones?

Answered by @Ofaloaf: I brought a small library to Stockholm when I moved here, built it up even further after moving here, and I've been referencing so many of them for different things. There's no single book that was referenced more than others. At various times, I've gone through books like Barricades: The War of the Streets in Revolutionary Paris, 1830-1848 by Jill Harsin, The Victorian Econony by François Crouzet, The Baldwin Locomotive Works, 1831-1915 by John Brown, Demanding the Impossible: A History of Anarchism by Peter Marshall, and... gosh, the full list would take up far too much space.

Question by @zagreus (old acct): How extensive is the cultural "traits" system? Is it just relevant to laws/assimilation?

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward: Yeah, cultural traits only have an effect in terms of discrimination laws, there aren't cultural buffs or debuffs or anything like that.

Question by @Toofpasste: First of all, do you guys have any limits on what you can answer, or is it anything goes where we can ask anything? And for my main question, what time period will the game span over? Vic2 goes from 1836-1936. Will Vic3 cover the same or be different?

Answered by @Johan "KaiserJohan" Jons: Yes some things we cannot talk about yet but you can certainly try ask! 😄 and yes the time period is 1836 - 1936

Question by @Flo - Free Caribou: What about the flag? Do we will have specific flag when a type of policic is in power?

Answered by @Paul "PDJR_Alastorn" Depre: There's quite a neat system about this that goes further than Vicky2. Your flag can change to reflect not only your system of government but others factors such who is your overlord, etc.

Question by @Aretaxios: In the economy panel today, it was mentioned that river systems contribute to infrastructure. Will navies be able to navigate and blockade rivers?

Answered by @Mikael Andersson: No brown-water navies I'm afraid, but we do intend for navies to have a potentially strong impact on trade.

Question by @CT: how/has immediate fan reactions affected any plans for the game going forward?

Answered by @hagerhink: Yes, absolutely! Feedback from the community is very important to the team in general, and to me as a UX Designer specifically. I already have a pretty chunky laundry list of things I want to take a closer look at based on the things people have discussed this weekend.

Question by @Craig: Hi, very excited to learn more about the game! Will there be a good variety of formable and releasable nations, to ensure we have a lovely fleshed out map?

Answered by @Johan "KaiserJohan" Jons: Yes there will be formables and releaseables! 😄

Question by @obob: How will the great power rankings be decided?

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward: Countries have prestige which is basically a sum of all their power/glory (economic might, military might etc), each rank like Major Power and Great Power requires a certain amount of prestige based on the global average, so there isn't a limit on number of Great Powers for example.

Question by @General_WCJ: how do you sift through the flood of community feedback to get to useful feedback?

Answered by @Johan "KaiserJohan" Jons: Lots of coffee and evenings browsing forums! And awesome colleagues to compile it for us 🙂

Question by @SolarCola: Will there be mechanics for exploration, such as the discovery of the source of the Nile?

Answered by @Paul "PDJR_Alastorn" Depre: The search for the source of the Nile is one of the expeditions (among various others) that you can do in the game.

Question by @General_WCJ: what is your favorite part on working on this project

Answered by @Johan "KaiserJohan" Jons: The awesome team we have and the passionate fanbase!

Question by @blockmario02: Will nations have unique "ideas" or anything else to tell them apart?

Answered by @Mikael Andersson: Nations will play very differently and will require different playstyles, but since the whole point of a "society builder" is to shape a country into what you want to see, we want to be careful about the extent by which we hardcode playstyles into certain counties. One thing that can be different between countries is the specific nature of the Interest Groups, for example the ideologies of their state church.

Question by @Daishi: Has everyone on the Vic3 dev team bought/created their own Victorian Era clothes to dress in?

Answered by @Paul "PDJR_Alastorn" Depre: Bought sort of implies that we are finished, this is a continual effort by a few of us and we enjoy dressing up in the period getup as you can see from the panel. Some of us have been trying to style period appropriate hairstyles as well, to varying degrees of success.

Question by @Roshindow: Buildings have been mentioned for economy material production, will artisans be in the game as well?

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward: There isn't artisans per se but early methods of producing manufactured goods are guild-based instead of capitalist-based and use less complex production chains

Question by @Oisín: Would you say this is the most difficult and/ or complex game you've worked on so far at paradox?

Answered by @hagerhink: Yes, definitely the most complex in most aspects. Also, the most rewarding to work on!

Question by @2Hats: How are you doing today :)

Answered by @Johan "KaiserJohan" Jons: AWESOME! And I hope you are too! 😄

Question by @Jansay: What's the game aspect you guys are most excited about? Economy? Warfare? Other? Or a specific feature?

Answered by @Daniel "StarNaN" Olsson: Definitely economy for me

Question by @cybrxkhan: I know they're not going to be playable yet, but can you give us some of the names of the decentralized factions that we might interact with? I heard there will be some native American tribes and Amazonian tribes for example.

Answered by @Ofaloaf: We've got decentralized nations across the map! There's the Noongar in Australia, the Nez Perce in the Pacific Northwest, and the Azande along the northern reaches of the Congo, among others.

Question by @KnutKnatterton: will there be some porcelain production in Europe like the famous ones in Meißen or KPM in Prussia?

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward: Yes, porcelain is a luxury trade good that can theoretically be produced anywhere

Question by @Oisín: Was there any moment where you almost accidentally revealed you were working on Vicky 3, or have you all been tight lipped the entire time?

Answered by @Mario (MrNibbles) Lasan: Nope, quite tightlipped - even when people tried to get my drunk last PDXCon

Question by @crazyconzie: What will the map be like? So, would it be CK3-style where it's a paper map (obviously 19th century looking) until you zoom in, or something like hoi4?

Answered by @David Karlstrand: As you said, There will be a CK3 style map with a paper map until you zoom in.

Question by @Flo - Free Caribou: How are you dear dev team? I hope you are fine

Answered by @Daniel "StarNaN" Olsson: I think I can speak for everyone on the team that announcing the game has given us all a big morale and energy boost 🙂 Seeing all the reactions have been fantastic.

Question by @Momo Chan: can i pick a nation to play as ?

Answered by @Paul "PDJR_Alastorn" Depre: Yes, you will be able to choose what nation you play as!

Question by @2Hats: Why the switch from roman numerals to arabic numerals in the title?

Answered by @Paul "PDJR_Alastorn" Depre: Because if it leaked, no one would believe it 😉

Question by @dead97531: Since there are 4 ticks per day does that mean that we will get money every tick or just daily?

Answered by @Johan "KaiserJohan" Jons: Money gets deposited in your treasury at the end of the week

Question by @RockerGamer10: will infamy work like in Vic 2? Or it's going to be reworked?

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward: Instead of V2 infamy we have Threat, which is more akin to Aggressive Expansion in that it is not global but based on the area where you're threatening, who cares about it, whether you're taking land from a recognized or unrecognized nation, etc

Question by @AdamMocha: Can revolutions of rising expectations occur? AKA will a slow down in economic growth lead to wealthy pops growing discontent

Answered by @Paul "PDJR_Alastorn" Depre: If pops suffer economic decline and a drop in their standard of living, they can radicalize and if you are not careful it can lead to revolution.

Question by @jespertjee: are transport costs incorperated into the price of goods? i.e. buying goods that are nearer is cheaper than buying them from far away

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward: There are mechanics and costs for the transportation of goods, such as needing infrastructure and/or a merchant marine to bring them to market, but not going into more detail on that right now

Question by @obob: What map modes are currently planned? Will we see more or less?

Answered by @hagerhink: One of the main goals of the UX for Victoria 3 is to tie information more tightly to the map, so yes, you will see more map modes than what we have presented so far!

Question by @gunthergun: Why would your recommend this game to someone who never played Vic2

Answered by @Mario (MrNibbles) Lasan: I would recommend it as a country builder game on it's own merit - rather than having someone need to play Vic 2

Question by @FridayMyDude: Will countries try to go into debt in vic 2? Like in the real world to try to move money in their economy?

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward: Yes, and deficit spending is meant to be a very valid strategy in V3

Question by @FiveColor: As a fan of the Revolutions of 1848, are there any plans to model them? Would they be specifically modeled, or would they be the emergent result of the game's other systems? Thank you

Answered by @Mikael Andersson: In general our approach is to model these types of things as emergent mechanics, and revolutions is definitely not going to be driven exclusively by historical events. Having said that, many major historical events will be triggered by the emergent game state but manifest as events or event chains that you'll be able to recognize from history. But historical events might not occur in the same place and time as they did irl.

Question by @CT: Of the things you are allowed to talk about, what do you think is the biggest and most fundamental change in gameplay, style or focus from vic2?

Answered by @hagerhink: That you'll hopefully be able to sit down and enjoy the game without having to watch an 18 episode Youtube tutorial series.

Question by @InTheZone: will it be possible to stay an absolute monarchy to the end of the game without suffering from major instability

Answered by @Paul "PDJR_Alastorn" Depre: It will have challenges, but if you keep your people happy anything is possible.

Question by @Greguisition: What is the difference between constitutional and regular laws?

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward: They're the same thing, you have Laws and Institutions basically

Question by @FridayMyDude: Favorite nation so far?

Answered by @Johan "KaiserJohan" Jons: Sweden or Greece is my goto nations! Although there is a new exciting releaseable... somewhere in Britain... but wont talk about that 😄

Question by @thanos is mom: is the combat system going to be modeled more on the Vicky 2 combat system or will it be different

Answered by @Daniel "StarNaN" Olsson: As there have been a few questions regarding wars & combat in Vic 3, this will be a quite general answer for all of them. We will be talking about wars & combat in a future dev diary and will not be answering questions regarding it for now. As I have seen comments over the last two days that there might not even be wars in Victoria 3, I will say that there are and will be wars in the game.

Question by @KingWashingtonII: On the Vickynomics panel, one screenshot showed that it takes a certain amount of time to enact a change. Can you try to enact multiple changes at the same time?

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward: No, you can only enact a single law at a time, so if you want to reform rapidly it'll be important to get a strong government that backs your agenda - though it can be a valid strategy to reform more slowly to avoid revolution

Question by @Adam32: Am I gonna be able to observe?

Answered by @Johan "KaiserJohan" Jons: Yes!

Question by @RockerGamer10: political personalities are going to be thing? Like Bismarck, or famous generals, intellectuals, etc

Answered by @Ofaloaf: We have historical figures scripted at game start across the globe, and we're still looking at who can fit in well further into players' games.

Question by @Arcady: Is weather purely visual or does it affect gameplay?

Answered by @David Karlstrand: Regular weather will not affect gameplay

Question by @Duke_Countu: States are the main thing we interact with for politics/economics, yet we can also split provinces from states via stuff like treaty ports, what determines which and how many pops end up inside the treaty port and which stay in the rest of the state?

Answered by @Mikael Andersson: If a state splits, or a province shifts from one part of the state to another, we determine what resources and pops move between them using semi-proportional math to make the final split make sense.

Question by @KMO: will the dismantle empire CB make somewhat of a comeback? it was a huge core of the late game great wars

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward: There is a special diplomatic play to cut a highly threatening nation down to size which forces them to give up everything they have recently conquered/subjugated. We might also have some sort of late game wargoal similar to dismantle empire, but not locked down at this point.

Question by @Alexandrian_Codex: When designing 'Decentralized Countries', have you consulted with members/descendants of those communities/cultures?

Answered by @Ofaloaf: Yes, we've made efforts there, and we've already had some very good feedback and ongoing conversations.

Question by @outinslava: can Mario lasan expand on his role, what "production director" means?

Answered by @Mario (MrNibbles) Lasan: So, my role as a Production Director besides being the manager of all the Producers in Studio Red, is that I am also the one that signs of on all the Production Plans for both CK3 and Vic3. In other words, if @Martin "Wiz" Anward is the king, I am the power behind the throne making things actually happen 😄

Question by @Red2D2: do you consider adding (in dlc maybe?) currency's for different countries/markets?

Answered by @Paul "PDJR_Alastorn" Depre: I cannot speak for future, DLC as its not my place. The current situation is an abstraction similar to how economics is usually talked about: each nation does have its own currency and its value but its abstracted to the value relative to international currency of the time.

Question by @Oisín: What feature/system would you say that you're most proud of in Vicky 3?

Answered by @Johan "KaiserJohan" Jons: That's a hard one to answer! One thing that's a significant improvement from our previous titles is to enable treasury predictions to update whenever any action is taken so you get immediate feedback rather than waiting end-of-week to see how it plays out

Question by @vladi: I'm just wondering, to what extent I would be able to interact with pops in this game? Rate from "Stellaris" to "Crusader Kings 3"

Answered by @Mikael Andersson: There is no direct interaction with Pops in V3 - it's just not scaleable, it would either make playing small countries boring or large countries overwhelming. Instead the player interacts with the Pops economically through Buildings (e.g. industries, barracks, etc) and politically through Interest Groups. And of course everything the player does affect the Pops in an indirect manner!

Question by @Eetu: How are the colours for the political map chosen?

Answered by @Ofaloaf: It's been a mix of approaches for country colors! Sometimes we've tried to use similar colors used by the same countries in our other games, just to keep the same vibes, and other times we've picked colors that just seemed more aesthetically pleasing with the map as it looks right now. Sometimes, occasionally, we pick something new just for the glory of chaos.

Question by @Mannock: Can you tell us more about culture, as in the finer arts like theatre, opera, great thinkers and the like. Can you focus on that as a nation, to earn prestige and so forth?

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward:Yes, investing in culture and arts is a way to gain prestige

Question by @aalgus: Will finance and stock markets be somehow modelled?

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward: Trade Centers/Financial Districts is a type of building, but won't go into details on that now

Question by @xamxam: in ck3 you can click tab to open up the little thing that gives you suggestions about what you should do, I found this to be very useful, will vic3 have something similar?

Answered by @hagerhink: Yes, we'll have a Current Situation system similar, but not identical, to the one in CK3.

Question by @Qavumm'n Chai: do I need a degree in economics to understand how economy functions in this game?

Answered by @Paul "PDJR_Alastorn" Depre: Hopefully not, but it has certainly helped me in QA'ing it! 🙂

Question by @BlastingAwsome: Will historical figures pop up in certain areas, such as certain people lead focus groups, or being the spearhead of certain revolutions?

Answered by @Mario (MrNibbles) Lasan: No Occult/Spiritual movements etc, but I will fight to make a version of Sunset Invasion for Vic3, but more Lovecraftian in nature 😛

Question by @steveh11: I don't know if this came up yet: Will canals be a 'thing' before railroads make them obsolete?

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward: Given how close railroads are to the start of the game (some countries already have the tech) we didn't really find a useful niche for smaller canals, though of course we have the big canal projects Suez/Panama, and rivers are important for pre-railroad infrastructure

Question by @Mr BingBong: How big of a role will alternate history play or will the game follow a more historical path?

Answered by @Mikael Andersson: Giving the player the power to change history is crucial to this game, and occasionally the AI will deviate quite substantially as well. But our goal is that you should never feel like the game is just random. If the AI is doing something uncharacteristic or deeply ahistorical it should be for a very good reason, and you the player should be able to discern what their reason was.

Question by @Valkling: Will there be any representation for the various occult/spiritual and religious ideological movements that occurred during the period and will they impact cultural power?

Answered by @Mario (MrNibbles) Lasan: No Occult/Spiritual movements, but that does want me to fight for a Sunset Invasion expansion for Vic3, but more Lovecraftian in nature 😄

Question by @CT: we've seen a few new pop types in what's been revealed so far. Should we expect to see more of that in the coming dev diaries?

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward: Our very first dev diary (after the vision one) will be about Pops and there will certainly be more coming in terms of showing off pop types and their niche

Question by @AttilaThePun: Will there be different levels of subject states? We've heard about adding nations to your market, but are there "tiers" of subjects such as vassal, protectorate, etc.?

Answered by @Martin "Wiz" Anward: Yes, for example a Puppet is a less autonomous version of a Protectorate

Question by @ZeroTrips: How much will we be able to influence the cultural makeup of our empire? Will we be able to select specific accepted culture on top of the primary culture?

Answered by @Mikael Andersson: Primary culture is intrinsically linked to country "tag", while what cultures are discriminated against are based on your Laws in relation to those primary cultures. For example, if your country discriminates on a racial basis, cultures that does not share your primary's Heritage trait is discriminated against, while in a nationally supremacist country all non-primary cultures are discriminated.

Mr.Arrow

Dec 6, 2018
Paradox posted the slides here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/vickynomics-panel.1475691/

Scale
  • 1 billion people at game start, whereof 800 million in subsistence economy
  • 750+ state belonging to 140+ markets
  • £500 million GDP at game start, most of it in the private sector
  • ~50 building types
  • ~50 goods types
  • Updated all the time

Production and Consumption
  • Buildings such as Textile Mills and Wheat Farms produce (and often use) various goods
  • States are limited in what types of Resource industries they support
  • Pops consume goods to maintain their Wealth
  • Government Buildings like Barracks consume goods like Ammunition

Infrastructure
  • Infrastructure from rivers, ports, and railways bring the world closer together improving access to goods and movement of people
  • Markets are regions in which goods are freely traded, one or several countries under a single market owner

Pricing
  • Every goods has a market price based on supply and demand
  • States with poor market access due to underdeveloped infrastructure suffer adverse local prices
  • Price is everything
  • Underproduced goods are expensive and make you reliant on imports
  • Overproduced goods are cheap to buy but unprofitable to make

Pop Needs
  • Needs can be fulfilled by a variety of goods
  • After needs are fulfilled any leftover money builds Wealth and Standard of Living
  • Improving Standard of Living leads to increased population growth and turns pops into Loyalists
  • Worsening conditions turn pops into Radicals

Wages
  • Privately owned buildings have full control over their wages and try to maximize their profits
  • Countries control Government and Military Wages which benefit different parts of their society
  • Government subsidies guarantees a good wage to keep production high

Taxes
  • Tax your economy to various ways to make money for the treasury
    • Income Taxes deducted from wages paid
    • Poll Taxes per head
    • Consumption Taxes on goods bought
    • Dividend Taxes on profits made
  • Who is taxed / how much depends on your Laws

Trade
  • Use your trading fleet to import and export goods with allies and rivals alike
  • Export goods you have a competitive advantage to manufacture
  • Import resources you lack or manufactured goods your people need
  • Trade routes can be mutually beneficial or aggressive

Economic System
  • As one of many types of Laws you can change, the country's economic system drastically changes your playstyle
  • Imports are penalized under Mercantilism
  • Isolationist countries aim for self-sufficiency
  • Under Free Trade pop investments are plentiful but subsidies are limited

Conclusion
  • Your economy is not only your country's engine but also shapes your population
  • Access to cheap resources and captive markets influence diplomacy
  • All actions reverberate through the economy creating new economic and political challenges

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
God, Vicky looks... way, way more complex than any of the other PDX games I've played, lol

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the diplomatic AI in HOI4 so dumb? I played a game as Romania and Great Britain was guaranteeing both Bulgaria and Hungary up until they both joined the Axis. Why?

Also, you can no longer influence the politics of other countries? That was like the only way that I could avoid being surrounded by enemies.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Why is the diplomatic AI in HOI4 so dumb? I played a game as Romania and Great Britain was guaranteeing both Bulgaria and Hungary up until they both joined the Axis. Why?

Also, you can no longer influence the politics of other countries? That was like the only way that I could avoid being surrounded by enemies.
1) i don't know. Maybe Uk was on the fascist path? or hungary and bulgaria were on the democratic path? or maybe just a bad decision on the AI. As you say the AI isn't really too intelligent.

2) you need to create a spy academy and recruit an operative. There is an operation that influences ideology. TBF it is much harder to do in SP, specially as a minor nation which usually means less operatives.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
1) i don't know. Maybe Uk was on the fascist path? or hungary and bulgaria were on the democratic path? or maybe just a bad decision on the AI. As you say the AI isn't really too intelligent.

2) you need to create a spy academy and recruit an operative. There is an operation that influences ideology. TBF it is much harder to do in SP, specially as a minor nation which usually means less operatives.

1) Bulgaria was non-aligned but still joined the Axis instantly. Hungary was on a fascist path. Maybe because I had a communist government, but it was annoying af knowing they will both join the Axis and I couldn't do anything to avoid being 2/3 surrounded by enemies (because Yugoslavia is conquered almost immediately).

2) I guessed it could be through the agency but didn't see the ideology operation. I will look again. The agency is a pain in the ass for a small nation, it eats a lot of factories.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
1) Bulgaria was non-aligned but still joined the Axis instantly. Hungary was on a fascist path. Maybe because I had a communist government, but it was annoying af knowing they will both join the Axis and I couldn't do anything to avoid being 2/3 surrounded by enemies (because Yugoslavia is conquered almost immediately).

2) I guessed it could be through the agency but didn't see the ideology operation. I will look again. The agency is a pain in the ass for a small nation, it eats a lot of factories.

1)If i rememebr correctly there is a focus for an axys power to auto add both of those the axys (generally the AI won't refuse unless they are aligned with other ideologies) For hungary it is the fucking nazis. Bulgary i think it is Italy but i am not 100% sure; i think italy has albania, part of yuguslavia and bulgaria.

2) It is very painful and i'm not sure if it is worthwhile for most minors. I think you need the academy + X% of intelligence network on the target country.

Personally i think the key for this to not usually happen is to set in the game definitions a random path for each faction instead of the default. By default the game tries to keep major powers balanced which usually leads to weird alliances. It also tries to keep major powers from joining the player. For example as a Nazi germany i never had the Uk under my faction despite Uk following the fascist path or as democratic Japan never had the USA as part of my own democratic faction and had the USA joined the fascist Uk against me.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Origins is out today, huzzah.

As is traditional, the first bugs are being reported now. Looks like AE for PU wars is off the charts, Austria PUing Bohemia leads to 109 AE. Which is going to lead to a bit of a problem there.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
I am not sure if this is a bug, but dev cost increases with army tradition. I don't even have much army tradition, buts its already +100%, which makes deving pointless.

Edit: Apparently this only happens, if you don't own Conquest of Paradise.

Last edited:

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
And here I am still on 1.30.6

I don't like a lot of the features added in leviathan like monuments and concentrate development. And 1.30.6 was EU4 at its peak imo.

Am I being an idiot?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

Origins is out today, huzzah.

As is traditional, the first bugs are being reported now. Looks like AE for PU wars is off the charts, Austria PUing Bohemia leads to 109 AE. Which is going to lead to a bit of a problem there.

Yeah, and this is why I am going to stay at 1.31.5 still (.6 gave me bunch of issues) for another month at least, maybe more.

PU bug looks to be not just for the Players either, AI is getting coalitioned to hell as well :).

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Not quite a "Grand Strategy" game I guess but I think this is the most fitting place to ask...

I've been thinking about giving Cities Skyline another try lately... I haven't played it in years.... Looking at the DLC on Steam... I only currently have 2 out of the 33 packs available (After Dark and SnowFall).

Are there any of the other DLCs that people generally consider to be "must haves"? Like most Paradox games, I expect a lot of them to be mostly fillers but I'm curious.

Same question but for mods too I guess.

Thanks!

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Not quite a "Grand Strategy" game I guess but I think this is the most fitting place to ask...

I've been thinking about giving Cities Skyline another try lately... I haven't played it in years.... Looking at the DLC on Steam... I only currently have 2 out of the 33 packs available (After Dark and SnowFall).

Are there any of the other DLCs that people generally consider to be "must haves"? Like most Paradox games, I expect a lot of them to be mostly fillers but I'm curious.

Same question but for mods too I guess.

Thanks!
Personaly natural disasters and industries are really good. Both heavily change how you do cities.
Natural disasters means you need to have redudant services and access so you balance eficience with protection from disasters
Industries allows you to build your own stuff. It is a bit of a cheat code has they are very profitable ; but cna allow for much more industry focus cities

Campus and park are good if you want a university or zoo. They basically allow you to heavily costumize your uni or Zoo. It is great.

mass transit, green cites and harbour are average. they basically add quite a few things but are relatively specific and mostly to give variety. I'll be blunt and say that i really like these DLC
Mass transit gives blimps and cable cars which I really like
Green cities allows for cities that are more in tuned with nature, moving closer to many european cities
harbor adds more water focused stuff so maps that have considerable ammount of water no longer feel as empty.

That said i can see if people play a certain style that those DLC feel useless/expensive.

Concert DLC Is interesing because it tests yoru city for heavy trafic/flow of people. That said it is super expensive for such "simple" DLC from the costumer PoV.

I think all the rest DLCs are either music or visual stuff. The importance of which is up to you.

That is my opinion on DLC

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Personaly natural disasters and industries are really good. Both heavily change how you do cities.
Natural disasters means you need to have redudant services and access so you balance eficience with protection from disasters
Industries allows you to build your own stuff. It is a bit of a cheat code has they are very profitable ; but cna allow for much more industry focus cities

Campus and park are good if you want a university or zoo. They basically allow you to heavily costumize your uni or Zoo. It is great.

mass transit, green cites and harbour are average. they basically add quite a few things but are relatively specific and mostly to give variety. I'll be blunt and say that i really like these DLC
Mass transit gives blimps and cable cars which I really like
Green cities allows for cities that are more in tuned with nature, moving closer to many european cities
harbor adds more water focused stuff so maps that have considerable ammount of water no longer feel as empty.

That said i can see if people play a certain style that those DLC feel useless/expensive.

Concert DLC Is interesing because it tests yoru city for heavy trafic/flow of people. That said it is super expensive for such "simple" DLC from the costumer PoV.

I think all the rest DLCs are either music or visual stuff. The importance of which is up to you.

That is my opinion on DLC
Cool, thanks for the info!

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Similar question than my previous post but for HOI4...

Any recommendations for the available DLCs?

(Eventually I will finally find a grand strategy game that clicks for me haha)

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Similar question than my previous post but for HOI4...

Any recommendations for the available DLCs?
(Eventually I will finally find a grand strategy game that clicks for me haha)
I am not an expert in HOI IV despite having 100 of hours I still can only win with major powers.

I will preface that the best mechanic changes have been free.
The DLC are divided in 2 types:
1) cosmetic - > add new music, models etc that make the game more inmersive and less repetitive.

2) content - > usually add new content either by expanding national focus of major powers or/and add new focus tree for minor countries.
These dlc are divided into 2 groups. Cheaper DLC focus on minors only. More expensive DLC focus on adding content to major and add a few minor focus tree

Personally I feel like every dlc that is adding content so I would give the game 2 or 3 runs before buying anything. The added content is mostly focus tree. There are 2 cool parts for the new focus trees. They add alternate paths alongside the historical focus and they add unique mechanics to that country.

I would only buy cosmetic If you really want that content.

The content packs are only worth it if:
1) you want to expand the focus tree for majors, thus you pick a more expensive DLC

2) you want to play in a certain part of the map or a certain minor than buy the DLC for that part

If you play with historical mode off and money isn't an issue

3) Minor countries with DLC can have vastly different approaches making each campaign more diverse. For example as Russia I had the luck of Portugal being communist and helping Spain Civil War. Add that with communist China controlling the east Asia plus India rebelled against the UK and was communist and the comitern was HUGE.
The DLC make the AI much more variable than when it is using the Standard focus tree

All this said my DLC preferences
- waking the tiger - >China is a very unique campaign. Makes east Asia a lot of fun
- LA resistance - > more France stuff, Spanish Civil War and Portugal. All great countries to change the destiny of europe
- dishonor -> balkans are a it of fun to play. Some can even jump around in the several alliances!

The other 2 DLC didnt have the same impact.
Together for victory - > with the exception of India most other counties are too small to win wars so if you okay SP like me you are very dependent on the major faction not doing a mistake.
Man the guns - > USA is cool but most ahistorical path are really hard and thus make me rather disappointed. Mexico is a bit boring by being one of the few American unique. Netherlands can be cool but if Germany takes you early on can make for a boring SP campaign.
Battle for bosphorus - > with the exception of turkey most countries are very vulnerable at the start so you can have a small campaign if you are attacked early on. Turkey is super cool, I would wait for a discount.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I am not an expert in HOI IV despite having 100 of hours I still can only win with major powers.

I will preface that the best mechanic changes have been free.
The DLC are divided in 2 types:
1) cosmetic - > add new music, models etc that make the game more inmersive and less repetitive.

2) content - > usually add new content either by expanding national focus of major powers or/and add new focus tree for minor countries.
These dlc are divided into 2 groups. Cheaper DLC focus on minors only. More expensive DLC focus on adding content to major and add a few minor focus tree

Personally I feel like every dlc that is adding content so I would give the game 2 or 3 runs before buying anything. The added content is mostly focus tree. There are 2 cool parts for the new focus trees. They add alternate paths alongside the historical focus and they add unique mechanics to that country.

I would only buy cosmetic If you really want that content.

The content packs are only worth it if:
1) you want to expand the focus tree for majors, thus you pick a more expensive DLC

2) you want to play in a certain part of the map or a certain minor than buy the DLC for that part

If you play with historical mode off and money isn't an issue

3) Minor countries with DLC can have vastly different approaches making each campaign more diverse. For example as Russia I had the luck of Portugal being communist and helping Spain Civil War. Add that with communist China controlling the east Asia plus India rebelled against the UK and was communist and the comitern was HUGE.
The DLC make the AI much more variable than when it is using the Standard focus tree

All this said my DLC preferences
- waking the tiger - >China is a very unique campaign. Makes east Asia a lot of fun
- LA resistance - > more France stuff, Spanish Civil War and Portugal. All great countries to change the destiny of europe
- dishonor -> balkans are a it of fun to play. Some can even jump around in the several alliances!

The other 2 DLC didnt have the same impact.
Together for victory - > with the exception of India most other counties are too small to win wars so if you okay SP like me you are very dependent on the major faction not doing a mistake.
Man the guns - > USA is cool but most ahistorical path are really hard and thus make me rather disappointed. Mexico is a bit boring by being one of the few American unique. Netherlands can be cool but if Germany takes you early on can make for a boring SP campaign.
Battle for bosphorus - > with the exception of turkey most countries are very vulnerable at the start so you can have a small campaign if you are attacked early on. Turkey is super cool, I would wait for a discount.
Cool! Thanks for all the info!

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
World conquest attempt number 554322 in EU IV.

1637, am Yuan, ruling from Poland to Japan, Siberia to northern India. Have 3.8k dev. Russia crushed, Ottomans hemmed in. It's going well but I feel always that the crunch is coming c.1700 and I'll just lose the will to live again.

That said, Horde is fun. Raze mechanics are brutally effective for expansion, and my CCR is insane, and my Morale, Discipline and Manpower are good.

Only problem is Spain has gone absolutely ham. Never seen it like this. Absorbed Aragon and Portugal, and has conquered North and West Africa. Britain and Burgundy ate France, but they'll be OK to take down. Think at some point there will be an absolutely massive Yuan-Spain war that i will have to truce break repeatedly to crush them enough to steal their colonies via making them a vassal. Gonna be painful.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
You'll be amazed how quickly you gobble up the Americas in a late game war. You can also use truce shortening by attacking a ally of the spanish and white peacing them. If you do it quickly enough you can reduce the truce timer by 7 years. For reference during my Ryukyu horde run I needed all of the Americas and Europe by 1720. I still made it.

Do you have a screenshot?

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
You'll be amazed how quickly you gobble up the Americas in a late game war. You can also use truce shortening by attacking a ally of the spanish and white peacing them. If you do it quickly enough you can reduce the truce timer by 7 years. For reference during my Ryukyu horde run I needed all of the Americas and Europe by 1720. I still made it.

Do you have a screenshot?

I can post one later. 1694 now and got Western Europe, the Americas and Africa to go. Africa should be fairly easy. The real surprise, however, is Spain has already imploded. Leon has been released. More interestingly/problematically, its South American colonies are independent. I figure that will take a lot more effort to control, now.

I have had a lot of economic and rebel problems that have held me back though, I think I played it badly. Never lost land or lost chances to expand, but definitely not running fully optimised.

Last edited:

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah that's definitely doable, 120 year of endgame gives you a lot of time.

The economic and rebel problems are a bummer, do you have trade and humanism? Really suggested to have those in a Horde WC run. What other idea groups did you take?

And the independent colonies might make it easier. It mean you don't have to fight them as a completely united front and have multiple wars quickly to take everything.

But yeah, it's a mental thing now. You need to become an efficient warring and coring machine now. Just think of that pop-up at the end of the run. World Conqueror baby!

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I have Humanism, but not Trade. I kinda foolishly assumed that if I conquered loads of land, the trade takes care of itself, given provincial trade power + absence of competition. But given I am expanding towards the end nodes (Venice could probably be reached in two wars) trade would be a good idea.

Ideas (not in this order): Admin, Diplo, Horde, Humanist, Quantity (wanted Levee en Masse for the sheer amount of wars being fought), Influence. Approaching 7th group, which was gonna be Economic but given the trade bounties/your comment, Trade seems like a good idea.

Last edited:

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
I mean basically with a world conquest you'd be right, you don't need trade, but it helps. Especially as a horde with quantity, running a lot of cav, razing everything and low cornwlands and autonomy. That all usually translates in not that good of an economy. But if you make Persia your main node and steer everything into that, you should be making buckets of ducats. Also Trade + Quantity has one of the strongest policies with +20% goods produced.

Are you running the -5 years separatism policy? Because that should reduce the risk of rebellion a lot as well.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Time for a bit of bragging!

rprBwcL.png

A pretty stable True Heir of Timur. Just a very small coalition, no loans, happy subjects. It took eleven restarts though...

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, pretty proud of it!

just Eat Your Greens to go now for the 'impossible' achievements. that seems like an absolute nightmare though.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Ooof, grats! That's an achieve I just cba to even try to get. Eat Your Greens even more so, yikes...

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What's folks' most-wanted Stellaris systems upgrade? I'm messing around with NSCN right now, and while it does some cool stuff for combat systems, I'm noticing that government and research are still extremely barebones.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I just want exploration to be an all-game system rather than petering out so quickly. Excavation was a good first step but I want much more. Also I want Guilli's Planet Modifiers made official and greatly expanded. After that I'd like to see factions spruced up.

I don't really know that I need any new systems, though. In my perfect world they'd just focus on story packs and species packs going forward while shipping systems updates in the free patches. The one exception might be a religion system of some sort.

That said I'm currently 70 years into a game and having a great time. The game is probably the best it's ever been right now.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I just want exploration to be an all-game system rather than petering out so quickly. Excavation was a good first step but I want much more. Also I want Guilli's Planet Modifiers made official and greatly expanded. After that I'd like to see factions spruced up.

I don't really know that I need any new systems, though. In my perfect world they'd just focus on story packs and species packs going forward while shipping systems updates in the free patches. The one exception might be a religion system of some sort.

That said I'm currently 70 years into a game and having a great time. The game is probably the best it's ever been right now.
I feel like first contact did a solid job of dragging out the "exploration" process. Until the Galactic Community forms, and even a good while after, the galaxy is mostly blank space. It's a pretty cool setup.

Agreed on more worlds being nice. Love Guilli's.

And idk, I think that there's some systems that really need some love. Right now, internal factions don't really do anything. Civics are similarly extremely barebones. Internal government really needs an overhaul. So do sectors, for that matter, and they should be tied into any kind of internal politics revamp.

As for research, it's... okay, I guess, but I wish that it was more Swords of the Stars. Less "oh I'm just going to end up rushing every tech in the game eventually."

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Oh yeah plenty of systems could use a good makeover I just don't want many new ones. Like I enjoy espionage more than most people I think but I don't know that it was wholly necessary to the game.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Oh yeah plenty of systems could use a good makeover I just don't want many new ones. Like I enjoy espionage more than most people I think but I don't know that it was wholly necessary to the game.
Personally espionage made a great difference in the way I play. I usually keep my military at the same level of my neighbors. With spy being rather limited means that I have to decide between military resources and focus on other options without 100% guarantee that I am keeping up with militarily.
I also find espionage events fun reading so that is a big plus too

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Mostly I want 2 things from Espionage: more options, and a way to run multiple operations at once. Like, rather than 'gather intel,' lemme get specific. Lemme see enemy ship designs and what they're researching, and if I don't really care about their relationships with their neighbors or even with me, let me neglect those.

There's sot of a fine line between "new systems" and "completely pulling out and replacing old systems," but the latter is what I was getting at with the initial question.

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, Leviathan is now "Overwhelmingly Negative" on Steam. Is it really that bad? I've been away from EU4 for a while.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017