• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That all looks super good. New first contact decisions are great, and I'm happy to see they're taking another pass at planetary development and sector automation - gets very fiddly late-game.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I feel the fear of supply line micromanagement but honestly I think all PDX games need something like this. Adding supply lines would solve the death blob issues in Stellaris and CK3 too - suddenly, maintaining an army of 40000 people in the 1200s gets a lot less viable when you have to figure out how to feed all those fuckers, and if you were worried about your singular fleet of megadreadnaughts getting cut off from ammo and rations, you'd probably be a lot less eager to put all your eggs in one basket.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Eh idk that I want the supply management in CK3 to be that much more mechanically complex than it is. It probably needs plenty of further changes and refining though, number changes. Just the MAA time change from 1.3 did a pretty good job of changing warfare at certain points though.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So i started CK3 for the first time, read some tutorials but...what i should do in this game?
Conquer the map? Doing relationships?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
So i started CK3 for the first time, read some tutorials but...what i should do in this game?
Conquer the map? Doing relationships?

Character/dynasty/eugenic stuff is way more interesting than map painting to me. Start small, build relationships, roleplay your characters traits. Building a kingdom only to have it fracture when you die and take over as one of too many sons is the most fun part of game imo. If you get too big/get bored just go to the options menu and character switch to someone else.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Eh idk that I want the supply management in CK3 to be that much more mechanically complex than it is. It probably needs plenty of further changes and refining though, number changes. Just the MAA time change from 1.3 did a pretty good job of changing warfare at certain points though.
It doesn't have to be hugely more complex. Just 2, 3 things: armies have a supply total and a supplies/soldier bandwidth; territories also have a supply total. If you have more soldiers than you have bandwidth, you suffer attrition until you don't. If your army depletes both their carried and local supplies, they suffer attrition until they're gone or you move them to somewhere that lets them restock. Depleting local supplies pisses off anybody who hasn't given your people permission to travel through their lands. Easy enough.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
CK3 doesn't need involved mechanics for managing supply, it just needs harsh penalties to discourage huge stacks that could never live off the land and that no feudal entity of the time would even have together like that.

Though you'd run into the problem that sets back the game all over the place, the AI likely couldn't manage it.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
CK3 doesn't need involved mechanics for managing supply, it just needs harsh penalties to discourage huge stacks that could never live off the land and that no feudal entity of the time would even have together like that.

Though you'd run into the problem that sets back the game all over the place, the AI likely couldn't manage it.
This is the problem pretty much every paradox strategy game runs into at some point. Because the AI doesn't continue to evolve with the features implemented most of the time there comes a point where the player just abuses the AIs faulty logic.

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I thought any sort of supply system was just too expensive in processing terms; PDX games already suffer terrible performance in late-game.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I thought any sort of supply system was just too expensive in processing terms; PDX games already suffer terrible performance in late-game.

It was never about Performance, it was about design problems.

The people behind Vic2 and HoI3's economics and logistics systems turned-over at some point, and their existing system design wasn't easily adaptable onto the more streamlined approach of the PDX titles that followed in the run-up to and aftermath of their IPO.

Things changed after Imperator's less than stellar launch as a result of EU4's Original Sin finally reaching Critical Mass.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
1617718895551.png

New achievements for EU4 for the upcoming expansion.

Honestly they're pretty bad. The Britney one has also already been removed due to how distasteful it is.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I don't play EU4 but I've been surprised to see how overwhelmingly negative the response to the newest DLC is. That's Leviathan.

In the user reviews, there's talk about how it has blatantly unfinished/placeholder icons and stuff which sounds wild.

Is it as bad as it sounds?

Edit: Forgot that this ties into a broader trend with Paradox releases. Stellaris: Nemesis released earlier this month and its companion patch had a broken mechanic at the forefront, with its population changes (levelling pop growth between small and large empires). The DLC itself was good, but the response to that change was so relentlessly negative that Paradox released a post-DLC address about it:
store.steampowered.com

Stellaris - Stellaris Dev Diary #210: A post-Nemesis Address - Steam News

Hello everyone! We hope that you’ve all had a chance to enjoy the 3.0 ‘Dick’ Update and Nemesis. We’ve had a lot fun making it, and it's been really fun to see your reactions to all the new stuff! We appreciate all the feedback and bug reports you have submitted, as it really helps us improve...

The upcoming changes all sound great to me, but I don't understand how they thought the pop changes would fly to begin with. You would get glacial pop growth if you expanded beyond a couple planets and no one empire could ever hope to fill more than three or four planets over the entire game. Any empire that expanded beyond that would devastate their growth across the board.

Last edited:

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah they could wind up with back-to-back Mostly Negative reviewed DLCs, which seems...bad. Especially kinda sucks for Stellaris because I actually really like the game as a whole right now and think it's a lot better, but the pop changes weren't the best.

At least Northern Lords is good/reviewed well.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh the pop changes aren't as bad as all that, really. The limit is high enough that it only really becomes an issue in the late game.

I'd be happy to see it gone, but on the whole, the dlc is extremely slick. Love the new first contact rules.

Steam reviews kinda just suck.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah the pop changes are overblown in importance to a normal game. They do kind of suck systematically though, and incentivize some dumb/illogical behavior. I get why people would want them changed but I'd never leave a negative review over it.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
My introduction to the pop changes was as a devouring swarm where it seemed a lot more extreme. Went in thinking the changes were sensible, but dang did it destroy that playstyle.

But that upcoming patch should fix it all so I can't stay mad at them.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I do like is the per-planet pop limits. That's good and fluffy. Limit goes up as you build housing and add jobs, encourages people to move to freshly-settled planets... all godd stuff. It's the empire-wide one that's a bit of a headscratcher. If it scaled with admin capacity or something then that'd be fine, but a hard limit? Weird.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Well it seems like my latest save on the leviathan patch has been corrupted for some reason. When I try to load it, it says Pegu doesn't exist.

I like the buggy shit that makes Austria OP as hell, not the ones that seemingly corrupt save files.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
kotaku.com

New Expansion Is Steam's Worst-Rated Launch Ever

Leviathan, the latest expansion for classic strategy game Europa Universalis IV, has had a rocky launch. So rocky that, uh, it has become the worst-rated product available on Steam.

I expected nothing less from Johan. This guy had the balls to mock Imperator Rome a few months ago in a dev diary. The same game he botched and another director (who actually gives a shit about the era) actually fixed into decent shape.

TiredGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope Wiz's new game turns out good because right now it feels like PDS is whatever Johan & Henrik run plus skeletal crews for the games they abandoned. I appreciate their past works but I want to see what fresh minds can produce.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wiz put a lot of time into revamping Stellaris. I know they weren't all universally popular decisions but I can respect the ambition.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Wiz made some super bold, and needed, changes to Stellaris. I have great faith in his next project.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Imperator: Rome - Status Update (Apr 2021)

Hey, We would like to give you an update on where we are at with Imperator: Rome, since the 2.0 Update and Heirs of Alexander. Earlier this year we did some reorganization work within PDS, you can read the full details in this thread - link. I...

Imperator Rome is not currently being worked on.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Arheo will forever have my respect for how he turned that game around and addressed every complaint I had with it. I don't even mind the lack of work on it going forward, it means they won't break it with patches anytime soon!

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Imperator Rome is in a good place now after they salvaged Johan's mess

imagine if the game launched like that

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Imperator 2.0 would have been a great building foundation of the game. Basically made it something unique.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I should revisit Imperator at some point, when I've got my strategy mojo back. I played it a bit at launch and never touched it again.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
So, seems like none of the updates moved the needle on Imperator sales, with the initial rep of the game permanently weighing it down?

Real shame, but I guess not everything can have an NMS Redemption no matter how hard the devs try.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I should revisit Imperator at some point, when I've got my strategy mojo back. I played it a bit at launch and never touched it again.

www.pcgamesn.com

Imperator: Rome’s 2.0 update is the closest we’ve come to Victoria 3

Imperator has firmly found its footing with the arrival of the 2.0 'Marius' patch, although there's still plenty left to be fixed

It's much better and I think it is worth a revisit if you haven't played since launch.

Personally, I'm mostly excited for the Barbarossa DLC for HoI IV.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Johan has done so much damage to Paradox the last couple of years.

I won't buy anything that he's the lead on after the last few debacles.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Johan has done so much damage to Paradox the last couple of years.

I won't buy anything that he's the lead on after the last few debacles.
Yeah, Johan needs to be moved away from game director and just be put in general management. It seems there is a clear difference between his understanding of Grand Strategy and how the genre has moved ahead in the last decade.
In general, it is quite sad that most of the "new" game directors of the past gen of games (CK2 -> HoI4/Stellaris) including internal changes on teams seems to have left Paradox due to a glass ceiling (with the company mostly still being managed and directed by Swedes).

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
forum.paradoxplaza.com

Update of the organization at PDS

Hey everyone, As we’re gearing for PDXCON, I wanted to share with the community some (cool) changes that have been happening at PDS in the past year. As the studio is now 150+ developers strong, and each game team has its own challenges and...

Internall reorganization in Paradox Studios (Sweden) too:

PDS Green is in charge of the development of Stellaris. Rikard Åslund (Zoft), a veteran from the Stellaris team, has taken the lead as studio manager. PDS Green also works with the support of Paradox Arctic, our studio in Umeå.

PDS Red is in charge of the development of Crusader Kings III. They are also working closely with Paradox Thalassic in Malmö. The studio is led by Johanna Uddståhl Friberg (JohannaUF), another veteran of Paradox who you might not know, but who has been Studio Manager for Arctic and has worked on the coordination between all Paradox studios previously.

PDS Gold is in charge of Hearts of Iron IV. The lead of this studio is Thomas Johansson (Besuchov), having been a part of the PDS journey from small to not so small studio and more recently working together with Johanna on studio organizational topics, he's been delighted to be back working closer to the games he loves.

EU4 is at hands (lol) of Johan and Paradox Tinto.

Surprised they didnt say there was another internal studio, as they did say they was gonna be a new PDS game announcement in PDXCon. I guess they didnt want to say who was the game director.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I think there's just three studios and one of them will have two games under it. Probably all three eventually.

It seems like a reasonable move if it cuts back in people being moved around all the time. It was always kinda weird seeing people moved from Stellaris to HOI then back to Stellaris a year later or whatever.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
New CK3 DLC announced, Royal Court.

CK3: The Royal Court - The Vision

Greetings! What’s the most symbolic image of a medieval ruler you can think of? Maybe they’re riding a horse through a village, maybe they’re perched at the top of a tower overlooking their realm, or maybe they’re leading troops in battle… those...