• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
New Hearts of Iron IV DLC, Battle for the Bosporus.

Cheers for the heads up eonden

Not sold on this DLC. Turkey, greece and bulgaria don't seem fun to play to me.
Turkey is have the soviet union on one side and the axis on another.
greece seems to be too weak to mount any sort of defense agaisnt any major power unless they don't prioritize you
Bulgaria is usually anexed/dominated by the axis.

While it might add for variety for the region I think they won't matter much. I'll still buy it when it is on sale but at full price i don't think i will have fun with them.

The new stelalris DLC however... that has my curiosity.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like Paradox Barcelona(EU4 team) is starting to take shape

EU4 - Development Diary - 29th of September 2020

Hello everyone and welcome to another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. I’m not sure how many times I’ve written these exact words in the last 8 years, but this time it is a special one. It may not be to announce an unprecedented new...

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I really thought Emperor meant the EU4 was close to end of life and EU5 was around the corner. Guess not?

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I really thought Emperor meant the EU4 was close to end of life and EU5 was around the corner. Guess not?
I don't think PDS currently has manpower to work on a completely new game that quickly.
We had CK3 and impertor rome a shot time ago.

That said, instead of EU V i'd prefer if PDS made a fantasy game. Stellaris, IMO, is a very good representation of most SCI-FI empires that exist. I'd love if PDS could do something similar but for fantasy races.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think PDS currently has manpower to work on a completely new game that quickly.
We had CK3 and impertor rome a shot time ago.

That said, instead of EU V i'd prefer if PDS made a fantasy game. Stellaris, IMO, is a very good representation of most SCI-FI empires that exist. I'd love if PDS could do something similar but for fantasy races.

That would be a lot of fun. Only downside is that it would probably have symmetrical starts, which is one of the least interesting things about Stellaris imo.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
That would be a lot of fun. Only downside is that it would probably have symmetrical starts, which is one of the least interesting things about Stellaris imo.
Depends on how PDS do it. IF they do random generated land then chances are it will be symetrical.
But they can also go with a defined map that simulates "historic" titles then slowly feel the world with different "cultures/races". maybe even do different "eras" so they can add vastly different starts.

Personally i'm fine with either. As long as it is fun i'm in. I just think that EU IV is still fine. at least for me it is still fun despite being old.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
For those that follow HOI IV DLC i was wodnering if there was patch notes or some information if there is "free" stuff coming? I'm thinking of doing a HOi IV campaign and was wondering if i should wait for the patch.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
For those that follow HOI IV DLC i was wodnering if there was patch notes or some information if there is "free" stuff coming? I'm thinking of doing a HOi IV campaign and was wondering if i should wait for the patch.

There's a new patch coming up in just over a week on October 15th (link here).

They've not really talked about free updates and general patch details (they should be available in the patch notes which will be released the day before in the Dev Diary update on the 14th). Generally speaking, don't expect too much to change as this update is really just some additional Focus Trees for the Balkan nations (Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey) and some updated focus trees (Romania and Yugoslavia).

I think it's confirmed that if you have the Death Or Dishonour DLC then you'll automatically get the Romania and Yugoslavia updates whilst the others are purely through the new DLC.

I would probably say if you want a quick game you can get through one before the DLC drops but if you intend to play any of the above nations I'd wait a week and get the new focus trees to try them out!

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Finally got a good Byzantine start. Weirdly wasn't that hard. Got Serbia, Albania and Hungary as allies, Epirus as vassal. Clobbered them, though there was a dicey battle at Edirne, the second, that almost went the Ottoman way. Hungarian reinforcements saved me.

Little do they know that sealed their fate, 150 years or so hence...

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
I have two questions about trade in EU4.

Say that Portugal sets up their historical trade empire in Asia during the early 1500s, steering trade back to Sevilla. Is it correct that this will benefit Castille/Spain just as much as Portugal, unless Potugal start conquering Spain? And vice versa with a spanish colonial empire in the Americas?

Second, lets say Portugal create this trade empire, steering the trade back to Sevilla. Is it correct that another power, lets say the Netherlands, can basically conquer a few provinces in the Ivory Coast region, fill up with trade ships, and divert a ton of this to the English Channel, making the portuguese asian trade empire just as beneficial to another european power as for Portugal? And would be there be another "answer" for this as Portugal, then to try to gobble up as much as possible of Ivory Coast, fill it with trade ships itself, and thus diverting resources away from Asia.

If I am correct, I feel this is a pretty big flaw in the trade system design, as playing "historically" and creating the asian trade empire, will with decent opponents benefit them just as much as you. Or have I misunderstood something?

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
I have two questions about trade in EU4.

Say that Portugal sets up their historical trade empire in Asia during the early 1500s, steering trade back to Sevilla. Is it correct that this will benefit Castille/Spain just as much as Portugal, unless Potugal start conquering Spain? And vice versa with a spanish colonial empire in the Americas?

Second, lets say Portugal create this trade empire, steering the trade back to Sevilla. Is it correct that another power, lets say the Netherlands, can basically conquer a few provinces in the Ivory Coast region, fill up with trade ships, and divert a ton of this to the English Channel, making the portuguese asian trade empire just as beneficial to another european power as for Portugal? And would be there be another "answer" for this as Portugal, then to try to gobble up as much as possible of Ivory Coast, fill it with trade ships itself, and thus diverting resources away from Asia.

If I am correct, I feel this is a pretty big flaw in the trade system design, as playing "historically" and creating the asian trade empire, will with decent opponents benefit them just as much as you. Or have I misunderstood something?

Your basically spot on everywhere here.

Yeah, it is a bad system which can be 'gamed' quite easily. I think Paradox know this however, it's one of the few systems which is the same now as it was on launch of EU4.

It's either not as big of a priority for Paradox to update or it's simply too hard to fix and they are waiting for EU5 to make an update to that.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Your basically spot on everywhere here.

Yeah, it is a bad system which can be 'gamed' quite easily. I think Paradox know this however, it's one of the few systems which is the same now as it was on launch of EU4.

It's either not as big of a priority for Paradox to update or it's simply too hard to fix and they are waiting for EU5 to make an update to that.

Alright, sad to hear I was correct in my assumption. Yeah, its a bad system then. But just something as easy as having trade power also flow downstream would help it a bit I feel. So if Portugal had strong trade in asia, and steered to Ivory Coast, that would automatically give them some hefty trade power bonuses in Ivory Coast as well. Basically making it equally important to control upstream as downstream, as upstream power would "trickle down".

Anyways, thanks for responding!

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Not Paradox per se related but it is Grand Strategy:

Alliance of the Sacred Sun (CK in Space) got a kickstarter, so linking if anyone is interested:

www.kickstarter.com

Alliance of the Sacred Suns (Canceled)

Alliance of the Sacred Suns is a 4x/Grand Strategy game that places you on the dangerous throne of a far future empire.

Alliance of the Sacred Suns is a deep and complex character-driven strategy game, inspired by games such as Crusader Kings II, Dwarf Fortress, Distant Worlds, and Nikhil Murthy's indie classic The Quiet Sleep. As the newly-crowned ruler of a crumbling empire in the 31st century, thousands of light-years from Earth, you must face the return of the alien menace that haunts its nightmares. Navigate the cutthroat politics of its Great Houses as they jockey for power and threaten your grip on the throne. Manipulate characters who actively pursue their own dynamic agendas, in accordance with a personality system designed with a novelist's eye for character. And struggle with your own character's conscience as the demands of imperial rule clash with the values they hold most dear.

Power is everything
In Alliance as in real-world politics, the perception of power is power itself. Inspired by Dune, Game of Thrones, and Boardwalk Empire, maintaining power and the appearance of power is the heart of the game. Challenge stronger characters, undermine your enemies, and make powerful friends, and your rise may be meteoric - but even the appearance of weakness can send you plummeting back into the depths.

A living universe
The Celestial Empire is a vibrant place that goes about its business with or without your intervention. Civilian ships ply the space-lanes between worlds, carrying goods and migrants in a dynamically-simulated economy. Characters intrigue against one another and plot to increase their power, aid their allies and Houses, and undermine their enemies. Over 200 written events with multiple possible outcomes augment the world's rich systems, evoking the unique techno-baroque world of Alliance, and providing even more ways for you to shape it through your choices.

A vod of it:

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Not Paradox per se related but it is Grand Strategy:

Alliance of the Sacred Sun (CK in Space) got a kickstarter, so linking if anyone is interested:

www.kickstarter.com

Alliance of the Sacred Suns (Canceled)

Alliance of the Sacred Suns is a 4x/Grand Strategy game that places you on the dangerous throne of a far future empire.

A vod of it:

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.
Looks interesting, but this:

No more micromanagement hell
Where many strategy games that promise deep and complex gameplay descend into a morass of fiddly micromanagement, Alliance of the Sacred Suns combines complex simulation with approachable gameplay through our revolutionary, board-game-inspired Action Points system. You're not an omnipotent hivemind controlling every detail of your empire, you're one person, and you can only do a limited number of things each turn. As a result, every turn is a tight series of decisions. Where should your attention fall? Whose call is worth your time? Which is the best move to make in your pursuit of power?

Is worrying. It suggests that their approach to limiting micromanagement is just to cut off the number of things you can micromanage in a turn rather than reducing the actual need for micromanagement, which could potentially be hugely frustrating.

--

Speaking of other studios' grand strategy efforts, Terra Invicta got funded. That one looks interesting, though I can't say I love the look of the tactical combat. Needlessly fiddly, IMO.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't played HOIV in a while, so I decided to jump back in. Removing army restrictions from Bulgaria was a pain. UK wouldn't remove it, so I decided to just go with Germany. However, I had a civil war and the faction joins the Axis, so UK offers me a place with the Allies. So I ended up going with the UK anyways. Germany is pretty fucked, Czechoslovakia joined the Allies when Germany attacked them, so it is literally just everyone against Germany because Italy did their own faction. Good thing I didn't go Axis. lol

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone wants to organize a MP game? Preferably with stable cable internet connection. I have only wifi so I cant :(

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just hoping there are some variants to the crises you become.

I need full support for my Devouring Swarm ways.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Seems Imperator 2.0 might be good?

Gave it another shot a while ago, bounced off pretty hard. Maybe I just gotta finally break down and watch some tutorials or something. Was never a thing for me with EU4 or CK... ah well.

As long as I'm in the thread, I did start messing around with Stellaris again recently. Finally got Federations and got a game far enough that the galactic community formed. Part of the issue that I'm running into is that almost everybody is broadly in favor of almost everything because the AI doesn't really prioritize well. There's also almost no way to move people from one a yes vote to a no or vice versa. So gaming the system seems to be about having as huge an economy as possible and just buying so many favors that you can forcibly take over the vote, but this only works on issues that come up for a vote, meaning you can get stuck in decades of self-canceling proposals that are just broadly popular enough to get voted on.

Feels like it'd be a lot cooler with other players, is what I'm trying to say.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Gave it another shot a while ago, bounced off pretty hard. Maybe I just gotta finally break down and watch some tutorials or something. Was never a thing for me with EU4 or CK... ah well.

As long as I'm in the thread, I did start messing around with Stellaris again recently. Finally got Federations and got a game far enough that the galactic community formed. Part of the issue that I'm running into is that almost everybody is broadly in favor of almost everything because the AI doesn't really prioritize well. There's also almost no way to move people from one a yes vote to a no or vice versa. So gaming the system seems to be about having as huge an economy as possible and just buying so many favors that you can forcibly take over the vote, but this only works on issues that come up for a vote, meaning you can get stuck in decades of self-canceling proposals that are just broadly popular enough to get voted on.

Feels like it'd be a lot cooler with other players, is what I'm trying to say.
there are other ways to heavily influence the galatic comunity. I haven't played in a while so sorry if i'm misremembering.
  • Being the leader of a powerful federation gives you quite a bit of power
  • There are ways to make an emergency vote
  • Having happy pops can also increase your diplo power
  • being part of the galatic council also increases your diplomatic power.
My experience is that early game galatic comunity is very hard to manipulate but ahs the game progresses usually you can either heavily influence it or being heavily screwed by it.
One of the cool parts is when they get the vote to take the fight into the crysis. It really feels like the galaxy is starting to come together!

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Played a bit of Imperator. Gotta give it to it now. Imperator no longer feels like a weird Europe Universalis game.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Started playing HoI4 again but i noticed they still haven't reworked the soviet union focus tree. Apparently that is the next DLC but devs have been radio silent on new DLC so far.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
The Russian winter.
(Tho in general the HoI4 team has always been the slowest one of all of them, I still remember the Man the Guns time to release)
This time feels longer than the other DLCs. My guess is the soviet and supply rework have made them completely OP and they have no idea how to balance it with the broken AI.

Well atleast Stellaris looks good.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
This time feels longer than the other DLCs. My guess is the soviet and supply rework have made them completely OP and they have no idea how to balance it with the broken AI.

Well atleast Stellaris looks good.
Looking at releases dates (with italics for flavour packs)

HoI4: 2016/06/06
Together for Victory: 2016/12/15
Death or Dishonor: 2017/06/14
Waking the Tiger: 2018/03/08
Man the Guns: 2019/02/28
La Resistance: 2020/02/25
Battle for the Bosporus: 2020/10/15

Huh, Seems the longer time between new things was Man the Guns -> La Resistance, but now the time between La Resistance and the next "major DLC / not flavour" is larger.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Nemesis is gonna be SO DOPE

And I know that Vicky folks are crossing all their fingers and toes but I really really really want it to be fantasy because Stellaris is so perfect at capturing the wide world of sci-fi and I want to see them take on fantasy.

I'd agree that a fixed map would be better than purely procedural, but if they could somehow do some kind of historical simulation to create a *new* fully populated map on demand, that'd be dope.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Nemesis is gonna be SO DOPE

And I know that Vicky folks are crossing all their fingers and toes but I really really really want it to be fantasy because Stellaris is so perfect at capturing the wide world of sci-fi and I want to see them take on fantasy.

I'd agree that a fixed map would be better than purely procedural, but if they could somehow do some kind of historical simulation to create a *new* fully populated map on demand, that'd be dope.
Dwarf Fortress map generation please

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Wiz did an incredible job with Stellaris, I have high hopes for his game. He did a lot of bold, foundational reworks that made Stellaris an even better game, leaning more into its RPG and simulation aspects.