• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Man I feel like I'll be a full noob at the game again after this update. I was thinking of doing a Third Way/Unlikely Candidate run soon-ish. Might need to rollback to the current version for that (although the QoL improvements like troopcount in Diplo screens will be great to have).

Uzzy Will we start another MP game when the update's out?

I am planning on it yep, gonna post a new thread to gauge interest next week.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I've got a WC save on the go as Mughals. It's 1701 and I am utterly dominant but there's a lot of busywork to get through. I'm not going to be arsed before 9/6. I wonder if WC will be easier/harder afterwards. Can always roll back.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
I've got a WC save on the go as Mughals. It's 1701 and I am utterly dominant but there's a lot of busywork to get through. I'm not going to be arsed before 9/6. I wonder if WC will be easier/harder afterwards. Can always roll back.

Be aware that your save will probably not work on the new patch.

But yeah, WC is more a mental battle than actually difficult. Especially with the Mughals.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Be aware that your save will probably not work on the new patch.

But yeah, WC is more a mental battle than actually difficult. Especially with the Mughals.
Thats why he said he can always roll back (to a previous patch). All previous patches for Paradox Games are available through the Beta tab in the Properties menu (when you right click on the game in Steam Library).

I think GOG also has a similar thing where you can choose which version to download, but I dont use GOG for Paradox games so I cannot tell you.

Well, not all previous patches as they had to cut older ones due to GDPR compliance, but those are available through Paradox own website.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Thats why he said he can always roll back (to a previous patch). All previous patches for Paradox Games are available through the Beta tab in the Properties menu (when you right click on the game in Steam Library).

I think GOG also has a similar thing where you can choose which version to download, but I dont use GOG for Paradox games so I cannot tell you.

Well, not all previous patches as they had to cut older ones due to GDPR compliance, but those are available through Paradox own website.

Yeah I know (I mentioned this 5 posts back ;) ), but I read RedSparrows post as that he might not know that updating would invalidate running games. I he did know, ignore me!

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

It should be easier with some of the changes coming (Corruption from territories gone, everywhere can be made trade company land now, hegemons being added) but you'll still have the same mental battle to complete it.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
It should be easier with some of the changes coming (Corruption from territories gone, everywhere can be made trade company land now, hegemons being added) but you'll still have the same mental battle to complete it.

Aye, i'm not sure I'll ever actually finish one.

That said, corruption from territories going would be a BIG THING for my current Mughals game if it were in the Emp patch! Plus Hegemonic power bonuses would easily be mine.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Some fascinating new nations there. Orleans getting Female Generals and +10% Morale of Armies is delightful.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The EU update is live and I'm downloading now. Reading through the changes am i wrong in thinking that this is completely new game now in Europe? I guess I will see later.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

Rule_Britannia.png

You, and I have to emphasise the absolutely part here, love to see it.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
www.resetera.com

Europa Universalis IV ERA - Multiplayer Sign Up 2 - Death to the False Emperor

SIGNUPS STILL WELCOME GAME STARTS SUNDAY 21ST JUNE, 20:00 BST ---- We want players for another session of the finest map painter around, Europa Universalis IV, now that the Emperor DLC has finally launched. Please post in this thread if you would be interested in joining in. Once we have a...

It's time to dueeeel

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
rMZrkJE.jpg

Help, I inherited all my PUs and had to spend all my reform progress and get governing capacity from the estates and now I can't expand anymore without penalty :(

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
rMZrkJE.jpg

Help, I inherited all my PUs and had to spend all my reform progress and get governing capacity from the estates and now I can't expand anymore without penalty :(

My only lesson here is that for any large empire, Admin ideas are essential - 25% reduced coring cost aye, but the group completion bonus is +25% to Governing Capacity, which is HOOGE. My current Mughal WC run (I started again to shave off some time) has a far greater capacity than that and I am about the same time as you. But that's cos I was aiming for WC from 1444.

But I don't tend to get into the weeds of things the real pros do: religious bonuses, culture bonuses etc.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
New Dev Diary, this time on the new stress system.

It's all very Darkest Dungeon. Idk, looks cool, but I could see them having to tone it down a lot. People like stacking positive traits on their dudes, and while making Diligent and Ambitious carry actual costs is interesting from a gameplay perspective, it's probably gonna rub some folks the wrong way. I'm just glad that the old progression of adopt business focus -> get stressed -> die immediately won't kick off lol

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Regarding governing capacity, I haven't completely figured it out yet but it seems that it's actually more of a limiter than the old corruption system. In the end, all that cost you was a sizable chunk of your money and really only caused problems for me around 1600.

I revoked the privilegia with an HRE spanning almost the entirety of Europe and was 1000 over capacity. But, building state houses in every province brought that down to the point where I could state provinces again. I also forgot about courthouses helping, so that should help for the bigger provinces as well. I also didn't have that many trade companies so I'll have to play a full game where I focus on the mechanics to be sure.

But, I'm honestly glad I did all the World Conquest achievements already.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I have been playing some Vicky 2 mods lately and man, I really like the game. But HOLY FUCK IS WAR IN VICKY 2 FUCKING ANNOYING. It really puts me off whenever I have to declare a war with some far away country and it takes so long to do anything.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Doing my first full Emperor play-through with Prussia and the new mission trees, revolution system, etc. are a lot of fun.

Last big EU4 bucket list item before I can just go back to "having fun" (lol) is a WC. I'm at 5k development or something with 60 or 70 years left. Grrr.... don't think I'll be able to manage it on this one, but we'll see.

I have been playing some Vicky 2 mods lately and man, I really like the game. But HOLY FUCK IS WAR IN VICKY 2 FUCKING ANNOYING. It really puts me off whenever I have to declare a war with some far away country and it takes so long to do anything.

I don't hate it because it reminds me of an HOI2 with trench warfare, but yeah it is really tedious. It really doesn't help that it has to straddle the two eras of warfare with one system and does neither particularly well.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Also Prussia, already one of the most fun countries in the game imo, is even more wildly fun and interesting to play in 1.30. Permanent militarization, steep governing capacity penalties, way better mission tree.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Okay finished up my first 1.30 playthrough. Lots of thoughts on the new Governing Capacity mechanic, which as a whole I like (along with the patch in totality:
really like the direction that Paradox went with this patch with the renewed emphasis on missions supplementing national ideas/traditions, the big changes to revolutionary governments so that "Spread the Revolution" is only mildly absurdly overpowered, buffs to republics, etc.)

I understand (and appreciate!) the fact that you can spam courthouses in TCs to negate governing capacity penalties, but that just means that the optimal endgame meta is spamming courthouses everywhere, which is incredibly tedious particularly when the AI makes consistently horrible building choices (they never build furnaces, always build churches, always build , etc. etc.). Granted, the GC mechanic is uniquely highlighted when you play as Prussia due to its steep GC penalties, but I'm fairly certain you can still state just about all of the Western Europe superregion w/ Prussia (every non-TC). So it just needs to be easier to do it, then.

Now that Courthouses have gone from being the worst building in the game to the most important, I would love to see them make them a free building slot like Universities. I understand the balance concerns (and it is nice to have to make difficult choices when constructing buildings) but micromanaging is by far the least fun part of EU4.

Paradox already made the choice to let players min-max the system and do something historically impossible: conquer the world. Therefore, the costs (in money) should be balance enough -- not unlike previous patches with steep corruption penalties. The penalty shouldn't be: player, do a bunch of horrible micromanaging in the game's least fun component. Plus, TC investments exist (in their own awful UI), universities exist, etc. so it's not like Paradox hasn't done something like this before.

That, or let us spend admin points to boost GC or something. Any time you can't convert one of the game's many currencies into another, you intuitively know the game is intentionally bottlenecking you. And half the fun of Paradox games is figuring out how to circumvent the game's many soft bottlenecks (no money, no monarch points, coalitions, etc.) and get ahead of the curve.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Who needs CK3 when CK2 has this?

www.moddb.com

Faerun - Forgotten Realms for CK2 mod for Crusader Kings II

This is a total conversion mod for Crusader Kings 2 aiming to bring the Forgotten Realms RPG setting to the game. While we have striven to be faithful to the setting, some things had to be changed in order to work properly with Crusader Kings 2's mechanics...

faerun.PNG

What a beauty that map is.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
This really looks good. It hopefully isn't too bare bones when it releases, but I like everything I have seen and read so far. Now I also want an animated portrait
for my ruler in EU5.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Finished watching it a bit earlier, really liking what I see. Wish they would go a bit longer than an hour on these streams.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
The UI in particular is just massively improved over anything Paradox has offered before imo. Hopefully this kind of UI/tooltip language starts making it into all of their new games.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I have to say that hour was really good. I can't believe CK3 is starting with so many stuff from ck2. I expected much less mechanics.
I still think that title inheritance should be clearly. Even ck devs had a hard time explaining the inheritance shenanigans that were happening.
Also how come the UI is now easy to use? Get those devs to rework the UI of stellaris and eu IV please!

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I need to find time to read up or watch the previews. Is everything done by election in some way, even gavelkind?
I mean in CK3:
www.crusaderkings.com

Crusader Kings III – An Heir is Born

Prepare yourself to secure the throne.

There are many types of succession and you can always chose to change if you haave the tech, years of rule, and whatever extra they ask for in CK3.

I was just refering to CK3 North Korea run where there are no vassals, and you control absolutely everything.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I've spent about a dozen hours revisiting HOI4 recently, and I've been reminded why it's my least played HOI game. Planning for wars is more fun than actually fighting them because you spend most of the actual war struggling with the battle planner and naval task UI instead of the actual enemy. Modern HOI just has an awkward place in Paradox's library, a game with an insane amount of micromanagement potential even compared to their other grand strategy games, but they can't design a UI to make it fun to handle. Like I don't even know how someone new to the series or WW2 strategy games could even start with this title.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Made a thread for CK3.

www.resetera.com

Crusader Kings III |OT| Long Live The King OT

Release Date: 1st September 2020 Developer: Paradox Development Studio Platforms: Steam, Microsoft Store (also available at launch on Xbox Game Pass for PC), Paradox Store (Steam Key, but 100% goes to Paradox) Pricing: $49.99, €49.99, £41.99 Genre: Freeform Grand Strategy/Role Playing Game...