• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
Finished late last night. On the one hand, really fun exploration game that I couldn't put down with great music and visuals. On the other hand, a lackluster detective game that hands you too much information just by exploring and clicking on available dialogue. Very little deduction required making for a dull final trial. Danganronpa or Ace Attorney this is not.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Finished late last night. On the one hand, really fun exploration game that I couldn't put down with great music and visuals. On the other hand, a lackluster detective game that hands you too much information just by exploring and clicking on available dialogue. Very little deduction required making for a dull final trial. Danganronpa or Ace Attorney this is not.
I would argue that the main difference is that Ace Attorney and Danganronpa both deliberately withhold information until the trials so that you can't really solve cases until major revelations happen in those segments. Paradise Killer is more like a typical detective story where the detective has already gathered all the evidence and figured everything out going into the trial where they lay out the case beat by beat, except YOU'RE the detective instead of a passive reader.

Lucael

Oct 3, 2018

I agree with you but I think that JaredG got a point as well. The main problem for me is that having a single, huge, big case to solve weakens the investigation part. Sometimes you find a huge evidence or an alibi breaker and this doesn't have any impact on the dialogues. Lady Love Dies doesn't push enough on the suspects and instead having a clear answer, most time, you get an unsatisfactory reaction. If this has a logic of sort for the inner structure of the game, in those moments the game falls flat. Honestly the episodic structure in this kind of games have a reason, for pacing mostly, but I must admit that would conflict with the open world design.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
20200906205904_1.jpg

Anyone know how to get there? I'm stumped on this collectible

edit: NVM got it by brute forcing my way up

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
I would argue that the main difference is that Ace Attorney and Danganronpa both deliberately withhold information until the trials so that you can't really solve cases until major revelations happen in those segments. Paradise Killer is more like a typical detective story where the detective has already gathered all the evidence and figured everything out going into the trial where they lay out the case beat by beat, except YOU'RE the detective instead of a passive reader.

I'd agree except that Ace Attorney and DR both require the player to make some deductive leaps during the course of the trials (or guess/fail a lot until they get it right). I never felt in TPK like I had to make any deductive leaps- even during the investigation.

I agree with you but I think that JaredG got a point as well. The main problem for me is that having a single, huge, big case to solve weakens the investigation part. Sometimes you find a huge evidence or an alibi breaker and this doesn't have any impact on the dialogues. Lady Love Dies doesn't push enough on the suspects and instead having a clear answer, most time, you get an unsatisfactory reaction. If this has a logic of sort for the inner structure of the game, in those moments the game falls flat. Honestly the episodic structure in this kind of games have a reason, for pacing mostly, but I must admit that would conflict with the open world design.

There's something to this. The game, IMO, that best succeeds at the specific structure TPK attempts (emphasis on investigation over trial) is Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments. Those cases are shorter, allowing for tight bite-sized puzzles that players can deduce their way through at the end.

On the other hand, I suspect that it's still possible to have a case of this length with depth in the deduction. It's just really hard to write/implement. But I look at Agatha Christie/Ellery Queen/John Dickson Carr books. Many of those have fairly deducible but ingenious endings that unfold over 200 pages. Adapting one of those (as has been done a few times) results in a game that probably approaches the gameplay time here. But I'd make the case that all three authors listed above were literally geniuses.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Are there only
two footbaths or am I missing one or more? I got double jump and meditation, explored the entire island and can't find a third one.

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
The third
footbath
is somewhere in the upper class resident district, if I remember correctly

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I finished the game. It was awesome as all hell. It's my GOTY, easily. Loved everything about it. The universe was especially so fascinating. I really hope the game is a success and they manage to make another game because there is so much more to explore.

I made a review on steam, would appreciate it if you put a thumbs up if you find it helpful. I put some time to explain why I like it so much.

steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: Dream :: Review for Paradise Killer

This game is tremendous and you are doing yourself a disservice not trying this out. While it is very inspired by Suda51's classics when it comes to style, the game is more akin to the masterpiece that was Outer Wilds than anything else, and this is a really good thing. Paradise Killer thrusts...

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Currently have three notes that I'm kind of at a loss for.
- Did Sam steal a blood sample from Doom Jazz?
- Doom Jazz had a sample of Kafka's blood, but it's gone missing.
- Why did Kafka enter the Council Penthouse a few days before the rest of the Council?

I checked Doom Jazz's main office, rear entrance, and boat, nothing. Checked around Sam's place, nothing. Checked around the Council Penthouse and the third seal, nothing. Currently no exclamation marks over anybody, and I'm pretty sure I have most of the rest of the evidence.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Currently have three notes that I'm kind of at a loss for.
- Did Sam steal a blood sample from Doom Jazz?
- Doom Jazz had a sample of Kafka's blood, but it's gone missing.
- Why did Kafka enter the Council Penthouse a few days before the rest of the Council?

I checked Doom Jazz's main office, rear entrance, and boat, nothing. Checked around Sam's place, nothing. Checked around the Council Penthouse and the third seal, nothing. Currently no exclamation marks over anybody, and I'm pretty sure I have most of the rest of the evidence.
Did you really check around Sam's place hard enough?

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I finished the game. It was awesome as all hell. It's my GOTY, easily. Loved everything about it. The universe was especially so fascinating. I really hope the game is a success and they manage to make another game because there is so much more to explore.

I made a review on steam, would appreciate it if you put a thumbs up if you find it helpful. I put some time to explain why I like it so much.

steamcommunity.com

This game is tremendous and you are doing yourself a disservice not trying this out. While it is very inspired by Suda51's classics when it comes to style, the game is more akin to the masterpiece that was Outer Wilds than anything else, and this is a really good thing. Paradise Killer thrusts...
Been eyeing this game for a minute, and your review sold me. Nice writeup. Will thumbs it up when I get home :)

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
For the Marshall barracks
can someone point me in the general direction of where I should be looking to get them to leave? I'm walking around the perimeter of the barracks but I'm not seeing anything so guessing it's somewhere else[\spoiler]

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
For the Marshall barracks
can someone point me in the general direction of where I should be looking to get them to leave? I'm walking around the perimeter of the barracks but I'm not seeing anything so guessing it's somewhere else[\spoiler]
You would need to create a situation to push Marshalls to leave the place. Have you tried checking if you can use your computer somewhere that would make them sound the alarm, preferably a dangerous area that would force them to fulfill their duties as Marshalls?
The rooftop of the Dead Zone is what you want to look at.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

steamcommunity.com

Great review, your thoughts mirror my own, and it's also my GOTY \o/

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played much but this soundtrack is hot.

Also, LOL @ the intro text. Throws you right into the deep end from minute one. (I didn't really read anything about the game. Just heard that it has INVESTIGATIONS and the reviews were pretty good)

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
For the broken vending machine
i bought a drink somewhere and talked to deep nebula. He seemed to hint that I need to keep buying drinks and then I'll be able to access what's in that vending machine. Is that correct?

Just wondering because I've been doing that and feel like I'm wasting blood crystals[\spoiler]

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
For the broken vending machine
i bought a drink somewhere and talked to deep nebula. He seemed to hint that I need to keep buying drinks and then I'll be able to access what's in that vending machine. Is that correct?

Just wondering because I've been doing that and feel like I'm wasting blood crystals[\spoiler]
Yes

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ENDING TALK, BEWARE

So what was your judgment on the case? I uncovered two distinct conspiracies, one where Witness enlisted the help of Sam and Lydia, and another one where the Architect enlisted the help of Yuri and Akiko. Seemed like Doom Jazz, Crimson Acid, One Last Kiss and Henry weren't guilty of anything, though I might have missed something. I did clear all notes and leads in the laptop, though.

One thing that still keeps bugging me is the megaphone sphere - it doesn't fit into any of the conspiracies, so I wonder who placed it and for what purpose.
This was the same ending I got. I really get the feeling there's more to it, some hidden puzzle or series of choices/accusations that ends with something completely nuts. The game's too open for there not to be.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Well just finished

So, Carmelina and Witness had two competing conpiracies, Carmelina had Akiko and Yuri aiding her with all the setup, while Witness had Lydia and Sam doing his dirty work, but also keeping them in the dark on what exactly was in that box they delivered to the penthouse. Henry was just a poor schmup who was easily manipulated by everyone else for the last decade of his life, One Last Kiss was just a ghost wanting to learn who actually killed her, Crimson provided the remote access key to the computer for the second seal, though she didn't really know it would lead to this and Doctor Doom Jazz... he's just fucking horny. So, for me, Witness, Carmelina, Sam, Lydia, Yuri and Akiko were all executed, kind of wish there were some diverging punishments instead of all death at the trial, would have advocated for exile for Sam and Lydia, didn't really know I'd be allowed to clean up loose ends post-trial. Though, post-trial handlings seemed kind of whacky, you can have heart-to-heart talks with everyone and then just execute/exile them for no reason, lmao.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
This was the same ending I got. I really get the feeling there's more to it, some hidden puzzle or series of choices/accusations that ends with something completely nuts. The game's too open for there not to be.
Is the Architect conspiracy the one with her son?

What happened as I understand is that: Carmelina is the chief conspirator and used her son with the help of Yuri to try and exterminate the council, but it seems like her son only managed to kill Monserrat because he got shot but remained alive.

Witness had his own plans to exterminate the council with a Killer Demon. It seems the Killer Demon did the council in except Monserrat because he got shot clean to the head. So there were two killers at the council who cleaned them out.

These things happened around the same time.

Sam and Lydia wanted to escape their life of immortality, they did some work bringing the case to the penthouse but didn't know what was happening exactly.

I pinned the crimes on Akiko, Yuri, Witness, Carmelina as the alive suspects. I spared Sam and Lydia in the courtroom because they didn't seem me to be criminals, and I just dodged the topic of who put the case in the council room.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Is this a visual novel type game? And is it worth playing for the plot?
Hey, I put a review there if you want more detail

steamcommunity.com

As a TL;DR, it's a murder mystery in an open world. It's not a visual novel because the meat of the gameplay is to find evidence and talk to suspects in a 3D space. You do not do as much talking as you do investigating. Have you ever played Outer Wilds? It is similar to some degree. The game is also not linear in the pursuit of the truth, you can approach any lead in the way you want to, and there are different ways to approach them. Hope it helps!

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Did you really check around Sam's place hard enough?
Can I get a more explicit hint on this from anybody? I have *definitely* wandered around this area for thirty straight minutes and found nothing.

Edit: Never mind

Last edited:

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried to see what happens when

you go for a Kill-Em-All route for the Syndicate? I figure you probably can't kill everyone but you could probably get everyone but Henry and One Last Kiss, both of whom are already gonna die/are dead regardless.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone tried to see what happens when

you go for a Kill-Em-All route for the Syndicate? I figure you probably can't kill everyone but you could probably get everyone but Henry and One Last Kiss, both of whom are already gonna die/are dead regardless.

I didn't try everything but I exiled Lydia and then Sam was nowhere to be found in the map and I got this screen after the ending.
1160220_2020090703452qpk1w.png

You can decide to execute Henry without repercussions. One Last Kiss can't be executed post-trial, she just disappears I think.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My last note is
Akiko said Lydia and Sam have been meeting in secret at the farm. Why? Maybe they're just enjoying the beach?

I've already found the tablet, decoded it, and talked to Lydia about it. I'm not sure what I'm missing?

Ahhh I just want to go to trial and flay these fools

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't try everything but I exiled Lydia and then Sam was nowhere to be found in the map and I got this screen after the ending.

You can decide to execute Henry without repercussions. One Last Kiss can't be executed post-trial, she just disappears I think.
I meant more in the trial, I'm pretty sure the game doesn't actually give a shit what you do in the epilogue, honestly one of the few negative points I have to the game. I hope if we ever get Paradise Killer 2, they let our decisions have a bit more weight on the world after it ends.

My last note is
Akiko said Lydia and Sam have been meeting in secret at the farm. Why? Maybe they're just enjoying the beach?

I've already found the tablet, decoded it, and talked to Lydia about it. I'm not sure what I'm missing?

As long as you can string together a mildly convincing story, the Judge doesn't give a single fuck who you pick, she's just "this bitch guilty YEEET"

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
My last note is

There is an object you have yet to find that is in a beach around the farm
It's the beach to the left of the farm where you'll find an object. It's just below the bridge that leads to the reality folding drive

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
ENDING TALK, BEWARE

So what was your judgment on the case? I uncovered two distinct conspiracies, one where Witness enlisted the help of Sam and Lydia, and another one where the Architect enlisted the help of Yuri and Akiko. Seemed like Doom Jazz, Crimson Acid, One Last Kiss and Henry weren't guilty of anything, though I might have missed something. I did clear all notes and leads in the laptop, though.

One thing that still keeps bugging me is the megaphone sphere - it doesn't fit into any of the conspiracies, so I wonder who placed it and for what purpose.

I couldn't find hard evidence of it but Sam and Lydia were the only ones on the gate island and the device used brain signals recorded from the witness as per doom jazz. It was used to agitate Henry so he would overpower his sedation and escape. I think the architect and the witness's conspiracies are tied. A device using recordings of the witness's brain activity, placed by Sam and Lydia, that triggers the Henry + Akiko conspiracy.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018

I also got this image when I executed them both during the trial. It disappeared after I went back and spared them both. Dunno what that's about. If it's trying to suggest they survive regardless that makes literally no sense lol.

I couldn't find hard evidence of it but Sam and Lydia were the only ones on the gate island and the device used brain signals recorded from the witness as per doom jazz. It was used to agitate Henry so he would overpower his sedation and escape. I think the architect and the witness's conspiracies are tied. A device using recordings of the witness's brain activity, placed by Sam and Lydia, that triggers the Henry + Akiko conspiracy.
The death scream device didn't actually do anything. Witness did try to use it to unleash Henry's demon so that he would escape prior to being executed, but it didn't work. Witness's goal wasn't really to kill the council but to cause enough demonic chaos to scare people into joining his religious zealotry (and if the council died in the chaos, so be it). Henry's demon was suppressed with inhibitors the whole night and all of his "actions" were fabricated by Akiko. The two conspiracies weren't linked and neither group knew what the other was up to.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ending Spoilers

It's hilarious that when Witness went outside to trigger his remote demon box, Carmelina used that time to teleport in her son. Both literally took those five minutes to set their individual plans in motion, presumably without any knowledge of what the other was doing.

I didn't sentence Crimson Acid to death during the trial, because it seemed more prudent to sentence Yuri during the K HX section, but later I executed her; she was responsible for feeding the second Holy Seal code to Witness and allow his plan to succeed.

Doctor Doom Jazz is like the only (not dead) person who was completely innocent. Bless the horny.

Anyway, super cool game. I really enjoyed it! The trial was a *touch* underwhelming, I would have preferred a more Ace Attorney/DanganRonpa "put it together as you go", thing, but the investigation (normally those games' weaknesses) was wonderful. I do wonder if there's some mid point where both are really engaging.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Where's a comms tower so I can
check yuri's phone

Also I have the

"where did the swapped bodies come from" still in my notes even though I got in the barracks and saw that two prisoners were released so not sure what else I need to do

Once I do these though think I'm done with my investigation

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My game bugged out and I'm just flying infinitely way beyond the idle lands unable to respawn because I guess you can't do that in midair? Bout to lose a lot of progress since no autosave but it kind of hurts to pull the trigger. This blows lol

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Note that there's a 20% launch discount that drops the price to $15.99/€15.99/£12.39, at least on Nintendo store. Presumably that'll apply to the PC stores too.

Also check out the sound of the summer.

Not sure if I want the game considering my back log and some middling reviews from a few posts in this thread. However, after that sampler I certainly want the OST.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Where's a comms tower so I can
check yuri's phone

Also I have the

"where did the swapped bodies come from" still in my notes even though I got in the barracks and saw that two prisoners were released so not sure what else I need to do

Once I do these though think I'm done with my investigation
Comms tower is near the power plant/reality folding drive. There's another phone to check besides Yuri's though. As for the bodies, look around for a nightmare computer near the footbath at syndicate HQ.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Comms tower is near the power plant/reality folding drive. There's another phone to check besides Yuri's though. As for the bodies, look around for a nightmare computer near the footbath at syndicate HQ.

Thanks!

Also where's
the farm[\spoiler]? I'm guessing it's on or near the. beach but I combed everywhere and couldn't find it.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can anybody share some advice on finding
the tool to smash the ground near the graveyard?

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

Also where's
the farm[\spoiler]? I'm guessing it's on or near the. beach but I combed everywhere and couldn't find it.
Basically, drop off the side of the bridge to the Reality Folding Plant. It's got all the planty plants!
Can anybody share some advice on finding
the tool to smash the ground near the graveyard?
Mmm, someone might have it near their person. Someone who maybe has a history of dirty jobs getting done...click below for more direct hint!

Inspect the scene behind Sam's bar. You'll need a Nightmare upgrade or two to open the safe and get the tool.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh you mean the fields? I was already there and got
lydias tablet
but it's still showing in my notes about the farm. Is it an error?
No, I had this problem, too...
If it's about the "Sam and Lydia go to the farm sometimes", you need to jump under the bridge and look for a piece of evidence about lyrics or something. It's technically "outside" the farm boundaries.