• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
www.pcgamer.com

Best Adventure Game 2020: Paradise Killer

State your truth in Kaizen's stylish whodunnit.

dxGsgov6p8cjAn77NZfZRe-970-80.jpg.webp

Andy Kelly: Paradise Killer came outta nowhere and single-handedly reinvented the detective genre. The first project from indie studio Kaizen Gameworks, this is a detective game that lets you actually detect. You're presented with a crime, a densely detailed island full of clues and suspects, and you can go to court and present your case whenever you like. This freeform structure is bold, but it pays off. A single, well-hidden clue can completely transform the version of events you've built up in your head, and it's even possible to pin the crime on the wrong person if you missed something. The game won't even tell you if you got it wrong; you just have to live with it, like a real detective would.

As well as being a great detective game, Paradise Killer is also an audio/visual feast. The vivid art style, outlandish character designs, idiosyncratic writing, and superb soundtrack—inspired by '90s videogames and Japanese city pop—combine to create one of the most visually and aurally stimulating games I've played in years. It's also deeply, deeply weird. This is a mythical fantasy world of gods and demons, but also blandly contemporary, with convenience stores and apartment blocks sitting alongside immense crystal statues of goat-headed deities. Like the soundtrack, it's a dazzling fusion of styles that gives the game a completely unique—and impossibly cool—identity.

Well deserved. Should be soundtrack of the year too

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
It's an excellent detective game with a rather underwhelming climax that felt a bit hollow to me. The positives far outweigh the negatives, though and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes mysteries. The setting and world building are stellar.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
This game is fantastic, check it out. I know it's also on Switch, as that is where I played it.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Was interested in the game, but change my mind reading this. Will skip, and will warn others as well
I mean I did say myself that it's hardly a deal breaker but alright lol. To be clear, the ending of this game is not the reveal of the scheme and solving the mystery like in a typical detective story. You figure the scheme out and piece it all together yourself while playing. The detective is you, so the ending is basically a long sequence where you present all your evidence and lay out what happened for everyone else. There's not much left to discover at that point and it feels like it's going through the motions which is why I felt it was underwhelming. Solving the mystery is still a very good time.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I did say myself that it's hardly a deal breaker but alright lol. To be clear, the ending of this game is not the reveal of the scheme and solving the mystery like in a typical detective story. You figure the scheme out and piece it all together yourself while playing. The detective is you, so the ending is basically a long sequence where you present all your evidence and lay out what happened for everyone else. There's not much left to discover at that point and it feels like it's going through the motions which is why I felt it was underwhelming. Solving the mystery is still a very good time.
Oh, ok

That Guy

Nov 13, 2017
I'm sold on a well made detective game with an Island setting. It's on sale on Switch at the moment.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I picked it up for Switch at launch but haven't gotten around to playing it yet 'cause my girlfriend is deep into Fire Emblem: Three Houses right now so my Switch has been pretty unavailable

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I played the first 30 minutes a few nights ago to just dip my toes in and it just oozes style. The setup seems a little complicated to understand so I hope it is just something you have to adjust to or figure out through osmosis.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
My personal GOTY. A fantastic game that doesn't overstay its welcome. And yeah, the music is awesome, the story intriguing and the characters delightfully weird. But the real star is the island itself. It's so intricately but expertly designed that it's a joy to navigate. So much, that they've overlayed and excellent collectathon platformer on top of the detective game. Fantastic stuff.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I played the first 30 minutes a few nights ago to just dip my toes in and it just oozes style. The setup seems a little complicated to understand so I hope it is just something you have to adjust to or figure out through osmosis.
Yeah it's a bit overwhelming at first and feels almost like they're just throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall to make everything as weird as possible but by the end it felt like a very believable and well-realized world. I was actually impressed how much sense it all made and how consistent the lore was when it came across as so utterly ridiculous early on lol. It's one of the most interesting universes I've ever seen in a game and I'd like to see them explore it further someday.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Well deserved, fantastic game and one of 2020's biggest positive surprises.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 4 hours in (just got into the council room). This is real good folks. It combines a lot of my favorite genres into one game: detective games, visual novels, and 3D collectathon platformers. Great music and ambiance.

For flaws, I wish the map was a bit more detailed and the world-building/design takes a second to click. I think I have my head partially wrapped around it at this point but it is making me feel a bit dense at times.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Warning friend! I heard this game has an underwhelming climax!

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
Game is great, it also has one of the best OSTs for the year. Don't agree with the actual text of the article though, it's not really particularly impressive as a detective game, especially near the end of the game where you're wandering between characters to trigger dialogue options.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Game is great, it also has one of the best OSTs for the year. Don't agree with the actual text of the article though, it's not really particularly impressive as a detective game, especially near the end of the game where you're wandering between characters to trigger dialogue options.

I liked the detective aspect a lot. There is very little hand-holding in it, other than that one point near the end.

Personally I would have preferred a more ambiguous ending, and think it would have gone along with theme of "take the facts and make your own truth" that the game was trying to push.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Stunned really. I have it on Switch and did enjoy what I played so far. Congrats to that dev team.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Looks boring as hell.
Must be difficult to play videogames without eyes.

As for underwhelming climax, it really doesn't, unless you need everything tied up in a neat little package. You get to decide how you feel and think about what you've discovered (or didn't) and ultimately that's one of the game's overarching themes; the ambiguity of "truth". Frankly they beat it into you a little too often.

Well deserved. Should be soundtrack of the year too
If this doesn't place Top 3 in best soundtrack on this forum they should shut this place the fuck down.

Nice. I think this will probably be the last 2020 game I get a chance to play before GOTY voting ends. It doesn't sound like it's too long, which is exactly what I'm looking for right now, and hearing comparisons to the Ace Attorney games piqued my interest.
It's probably about 12-14 hours if you only investigate the main mysteries.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Nice. I think this will probably be the last 2020 game I get a chance to play before GOTY voting ends. It doesn't sound like it's too long, which is exactly what I'm looking for right now, and hearing comparisons to the Ace Attorney games piqued my interest.

Feb 29, 2020

As for underwhelming climax, it really doesn't, unless you need everything tied up in a neat little package. You get to decide how you feel and think about what you've discovered (or didn't) and ultimately that's one of the game's overarching themes; the ambiguity of "truth". Frankly they beat it into you a little too often.

If this doesn't place Top 3 in best soundtrack on this forum they should shut this place the fuck down.
OMFG I'm so sorry, I just checked some gameplay but I didn't know it was for blind ppl...

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand people finding the ending anti-climactic. If you are going into the trial expecting something with twists and turns a la Danganronpa or Ace Attorney, you will be disappointed. The investigation is really the climax of the game, not the trial. And depending on the order you find things, you may hit the high point of the investigation a long time before you actually go to trial, which throws off the pacing of the story.

As for underwhelming climax, it really doesn't, unless you need everything tied up in a neat little package.

You get to decide how you feel and think about what you've discovered (or didn't) and ultimately that's one of the game's overarching themes; the ambiguity of "truth". Frankly they beat it into you a little too often.

I would have agreed with this up until
you find Dainonigate. Not only does he confess, but you get incontrovertible evidence that he did it. That really eliminated all the ambiguity.
Like I said earlier, I would have preferred more ambiguity to fit the game's theme. For a while I was hoping that the game would be set up such that you could make a reasonable hypothesis for any of the characters being guilty.

I think the court case is still interesting because the player may be tempted to
cover up Witness's conspiracy to protect the Daybreaks.
That was the one area where I could see an argument for differentiating between facts and truths.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The open world thing kinda ruined it for me, I would have prefered if it were more like AA where you just skip between locations.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA

It's probably about 12-14 hours if you only investigate the main mysteries.

Yeah I think I'd consider anything I can finish in under 20 hours to be short these days.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Looks boring as hell.
Its a visual novel/adventure style game
If those are up your alley, I'd say it's worth a look.
I was glued to this game until I finished it.
I actually think the open world traversal is fun and I wish Cyberpunk had the movement options you get in this game

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Finished it the other day and had a really good time. Completely fucked up world but hey, at least the island plays some total bangers.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Hard disagree on this, because the trial does actually tie everything up in a neat little package so long as you actually arrive at the truth, and if you did actually solve the case then that truth would've already been undeniable before the trial so it's just tying it up even tighter. The main theme about ambiguity of truth only really works if you fail to solve it and accuse people without conclusive evidence or if you just deliberately go for false convictions for the hell of it.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I would have agreed with this up until
you find Dainonigate. Not only does he confess, but you get incontrovertible evidence that he did it. That really eliminated all the ambiguity.
Like I said earlier, I would have preferred more ambiguity to fit the game's theme. For a while I was hoping that the game would be set up such that you could make a reasonable hypothesis for any of the characters being guilty.

I think the court case is still interesting because the player may be tempted to
cover up Witness's conspiracy to protect the Daybreaks.
That was the one area where I could see an argument for differentiating between facts and truths.
Hard disagree on this, because the trial does actually tie everything up in a neat little package so long as you actually arrive at the truth, and if you did actually solve the case then that truth would've already been undeniable before the trial so it's just tying it up even tighter. The main theme about ambiguity of truth only really works if you fail to solve it and accuse people without conclusive evidence or if you just deliberately go for false convictions for the hell of it.
I guess my point was more that the game does not actually give you an explicit "Yes, that was correct" response to any of your assertions/accusations/presentations. The end goes the way it goes because, as far as you know, it could not be any other way, but leaves just enough possibility that more information was out there that you missed (even if you didn't) that could have changed things. It doesn't actually hard confirm a great detail of the information you find.

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
Loved the game, but I didn't like the collectibles and was underwhelmed by the fact that you know a crime isn't solved because it's still in your open cases.

Hiding that information and maybe preventing you from getting some clues based on your choices would have enhanced what they went for, that is you don't know the truth.
But with the system in place, and if you're a completionist, then the truth isnt ambiguous imo and it made the trial a little dull for me

The music, the design and the lore however are top notch. I'm still impressed that a game of this caliber has so much world building