• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 23, 2017
Games come and go over time, that's nothing new, but there is one game that I thought was interesting enough to bring up again.

This was during a time when a lot of people, myself included, would go to places like Nexon, Ijji, GamersFirst, AeriaGames, Gpotato, etc to play games on PC and Free-To-Play shooters were releasing left and right.

Developed by Acony, this game was hosted over at GamersFirst.

parabellum-aim.jpg

parabellum-pc-019.jpg

parabellum-city.jpg

parabellum-map.jpg

It was in a Closed Beta state for a very long time, featuring 3 or 4 maps, customizable weapons, and apparel for your character.

I played this closed beta to death because I enjoyed the level design very much. The game play and the customization was just icing on the cake.

Unfortunately, this game never came out of Closed Beta.

It had a big enough player base to get some matches in at certain times of the day but over time its player base dwindled and development was eventually cancelled.

I don't know if enough people had strong enough computers at the time which may have been another reason which lead to its closure. I think it used Unreal Engine 3.

Anyway, the assets got re-purposed for a new game, a game called Hedone TV.

I think some people might actually remember this game.

I never got to play it because my graphics card died at the time so I had to watch this game pretty much pass me by, but the concept was interesting.

To my surprise, Hedone TV got shut down too. I never found out the reason but if I had to guess, I don't think it got enough attention either.

However, the game got revamped and renamed to Bullet Run, thanks to a contract with Sony.

www.engadget.com

SOE announces free-to-play Bullet Run, a revamped Hedone from Acony Games

Acony Games, a German developer, has been working on an online first-person shooter called Hedone, about contestants fighting to win a deadly reality show. Sony Online Entertainment today announced that it is publishing a game by Acony called Bullet Run, and as far as we can tell it's Hedone...

That contract, sadly, was short lived.

www.polygon.com

Acony Games closes after Sony Online ends development on Bullet Run

Acony Games, developer of the free-to-play first-person shooter MMO Bullet Run, is closing now that publisher Sony Online Entertainment has decided to end development on the game, the studio...

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I was ready to come in here and wax poetic about Combat Arms (another free to play shooter from over a decade ago), but it's apparently still running. Somehow. Huh.

It was revolutionary to me, as the first shooter (I played) where footsteps and sound played a large role. I still vividly remember typing up a big beta feedback field saying as much.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh, sounds like a game that died for a reason.

The real "What Happened?" is Huxley.

Massive Hype-Campaign for the announcement, a DVD of the Trailer packed in with HDTVs being sold in 2006 - Then delays, reductions in the scope of the game's ambitions, more delays - Until finally it launched in Closed Beta.

...And then after about a year or so of Closed Beta, the game's servers just randomly shut down with no warning or announcement whatsoever, and the developer and their publishing partners completely shoved the game down the Memory Hole, scrubbing all official references to the game on their sites as if it never existed.

Released, but cancelled before it could actually be monetized in any capacity. I really do want to know what the hell was going on behind Huxley. And of course the studio behind it still exists but has produced nothing but flaming hot mediocrity at best since if Steam reviews are anything to go by.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
I was ready to come in here and wax poetic about Combat Arms (another free to play shooter from over a decade ago), but it's apparently still running. Somehow. Huh.

It was revolutionary to me, as the first shooter (I played) where footsteps and sound played a large role. I still vividly remember typing up a big beta feedback field saying as much.

Yeah, somehow that game is still alive. It evolved quite a bit since then.

I was there when Combat Arms first launched, so I got to play the beta of that.

At the time I was playing Parabellum, since Combat Arms released around 2008 If I remember right.

Ehhh, sounds like a game that died for a reason.

The real "What Happened?" is Huxley.

Massive Hype-Campaign for the announcement, a DVD of the Trailer packed in with HDTVs being sold in 2006 - Then delays, reductions in the scope of the game's ambitions, more delays - Until finally it launched in Closed Beta.

...And then after about a year or so of Closed Beta, the game's servers just randomly shut down with no warning or announcement whatsoever, and the developer and their publishing partners completely shoved the game down the Memory Hole, scrubbing all official references to the game on their sites as if it never existed.

Were you there when I made my Huxley thread? I'm still waiting for Huxley, even after all these years. :P

Joking aside, that game straight up vanished after the closed beta.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Thanks for the writeup OP. Pretty sad chain of missed opportunities there. Parabellum looks like it offered some novel ideas for the time, and it was free to boot, too bad how things turned out.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Were you there when I made my Huxley thread? I'm still waiting for Huxley, even after all these years. :P

Joking aside, that game straight up vanished after the closed beta.

Honestly Huxley is probably one of the most bizarre stories in all of gaming.

How it went from being the thing everyone was talking about after its announcement trailer and lofty stated ambitions, to finally releasing a massively pared-down Closed Beta after the hype had already sorta faded away - To suddenly disappearing and every party involved acting as if it never existed at all.

This is the one game I desperately want to know about what happened behind the scenes.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Honestly Huxley is probably one of the most bizarre stories in all of gaming.

How it went from being the thing everyone was talking about after its announcement trailer and lofty stated ambitions, to finally releasing a massively pared-down Closed Beta after the hype had already sorta faded away - To suddenly disappearing and every party involved acting as if it never existed at all.

This is the one game I desperately want to know about what happened behind the scenes.

I found my thread from 2018, check it out if you have the time, might learn some interesting info. :)

www.resetera.com

What F2P MMO's did you sign up for, that later shutdown or mysteriously vanished?

I signed up for quite a few betas back in the day, some of which never saw an official release, and some shutdown shortly after release. I wanted to mention a few of them for the sake of conversation, and hopefully some of you remember these games. :) First up, a game that I was lucky enough to...

EDIT: Haha, you did post in there!

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Great write-up OP, never heard of this game!

Anyone know what happened to Project Offset?

Nvm GVMERS did a video on it!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to talk cancelled niche games, nothing beats Tatsumaki: Land at War. It was going to be a hybrid free-to-play/paid MMO set in historical feudal Japan, with crafting and all sorts of gameplay options. Its official site had regular updates, and you always saw it listed on upcoming MMO sites (useful for tracking free MMOs back in the day).

And it just... never came out. After some years of radio silence I guess it finally got cancelled officially--I had long given up hope by that point.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Will read thru this more later
But i did not onow about this game.til now so thanks for the thread mate :3

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Hell I remember this game.

not sure if anyone got to play it but gamers first had worked on a game called W.A.R. and it never actually got released but had a short lived beta as it was a carbon clone of battlefield and it has me wonder what happened to it or if anyone actually played it.