• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Y'all I just remembered a conversation my sibling and cousin and I had with my mom years ago, before Sticker Star came out

We were talking about bosses and villains in paper Mario games, like what they should do next.

My mom literally said "what about scissors? I mean they cut paper" or something along those lines. She didn't know what the games were, we were just talking about it in the car and she felt like contributing I guess. She even came up with an OC name for it, like Scissorati or something lol.

We laughed so hard and she thought it was funny that we thought it was funny. And explained to her that (at the time) the series wasn't really emphasizing paper beyond a few little jokes. It's been an inside joke ever since.

I can't believe she fucking nailed the concept all those years ago lmfao. Especially if there is a scissor boss, I can't wait to tell her.

LOL. Never doubt the insight of moms

Aug 12, 2019
I do. I bought a ps4, which has trophies, in 2016. It helps. Makes me feel better as I progress. Makes me feel invested in that ecosystem. The only platform where I don't feel like i care is EGS because all the games I have there are free. I want achievements badly there too because I have like 50 games there too

This is actually one of the reasons I love the Switch, because it specifically doesn't have achievements tied to every single game constantly popping up. I used to more obsessively achievement/trophy hunt, but then I kind of realized they distracted me from playing the game and setting my own goals and ideas.

There's just always been something for me so refreshing about the Switch just playing games and doing that one thing very well without any intrusions. I prefer the in game achievement systems that give you tangible rewards in game if any system is implemented.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
This is actually one of the reasons I love the Switch, because it specifically doesn't have achievements tied to every single game constantly popping up. I used to more obsessively achievement/trophy hunt, but then I kind of realized they distracted me from playing the game and setting my own goals and ideas.

There's just always been something for me so refreshing about the Switch just playing games and doing that one thing very well without any intrusions. I prefer the in game achievement systems that give you tangible rewards in game if any system is implemented.
I'm not distracted and I don't actively seek the achievements in any game. I just like seeing the progression

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I am pretty hyped for this. It looks like the ultimate chill summer game.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
This game won't end up doing as good as I was hoping for. Not sure if it'll be the best selling Paper Mario game anymore. I think it will slightly become the best selling by just being on Switch.

What new announcements or personal feelings have led you to that conclusion? I'm curious to hear. I feel like with a low-mid-80s MC score, Origami King will do great.

Also, to anyone who's watched the gamexplain 2 hour deep dive: is it super spoilery? Should I stay away?

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
it was a mistake watching gamexplain's analysis of the the new trailer. They're too good at their job I feel like I just had the whole game spoiled

1*QEU5vXgJkv8bCX-mdd3ilQ.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all I just remembered a conversation my sibling and cousin and I had with my mom years ago, before Sticker Star came out

We were talking about bosses and villains in paper Mario games, like what they should do next.

My mom literally said "what about scissors? I mean they cut paper" or something along those lines. She didn't know what the games were, we were just talking about it in the car and she felt like contributing I guess. She even came up with an OC name for it, like Scissorati or something lol.

We laughed so hard and she thought it was funny that we thought it was funny. And explained to her that (at the time) the series wasn't really emphasizing paper beyond a few little jokes. It's been an inside joke ever since.

I can't believe she fucking nailed the concept all those years ago lmfao. Especially if there is a scissor boss, I can't wait to tell her.
I just want to say that your mom is rad.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
So how many chapters/acts do we think this will have? 5 streamers + intro chapter + final chapter for 7 total?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So how many chapters/acts do we think this will have? 5 streamers + intro chapter + final chapter for 7 total?
Kinda think we'll get a side chapter connected to bowser and his army that might be seperate from the main ribbon plot line perhaps involving his castle or base being attacked and having the airships. Plus maybe interludes.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
There are three ways I could see Luigi's quest to "find the keys to Peach's Castle" going:
  • It all happens off-screen and we don't see or hear about any of it.
  • It happens off-screen, but you can encounter Luigi throughout the game and he'll recount what he went through (like TTYD).
  • Full Luigi interludes where we play as him for a short time.
Option 1 would suck, Option 2 is decent, but I just want interludes back. It'd be neat if Luigi and Bowser both had separate interludes, keeping up with both between each chapter.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Honestly, the more I dwell on it the more I'm looking forward to this game. Regardless of battle system concerns, I'm all for a chill summer game like this with a truckload of charm.

My biggest concern is the length, with there only being five streamers to undo + Peach's Castle. I kinda hope that they'll be one more area after that, like an Origami Realm and/or the place where the thing bosses come from, but I really doubt they'd go for that.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Well, preordered.
I wish Nintendo would put some more VC services on the Switch. I'd love to play TTYD again.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest concern is the length, with there only being five streamers to undo + Peach's Castle. I kinda hope that they'll be one more area after that, like an Origami Realm and/or the place where the thing bosses come from, but I really doubt they'd go for that.
Color Splash only had the 5 big paint stars + Bowser's Castle and I wouldn't call that too short. I wouldn't be too concerned that the game will be too short.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody's been talking about the return to form in an area that truly matters...

paper_mario_the_origami_king_screenshot_32.jpg

Shops display available items out on tables! Now that's truly an important feature of 64/TTYD worth bringing back.
wow that place looks really cool.

where are all these new images coming from?
They're showing way too much imo.
Why are those mache goombas "good" and not attacking you? Are they bowser's or something.

But the MP in Final Fantasy makes fights shorter and allows for easier grinding of EXP, which leads to better abilities and to be able to defeat the bosses so you can progress into the story. This game doesn't have EXP (that we know of) so using the better weapons will make fights shorter but just will make the weapons unusable, and the shortest way of finishing a battle is not engaging into one, just avoiding the enemies in the overworld.

They have to address that issue, it was the single most glaring flaw of the two latest games.
that's a good summary of it. And what they have to address.

You can also add that: the boss fights also appear to use different mechanics which devalues the objective of regular battles being used to gain abilities to fight the bosses even further, if the bosses have mechanics that regular battles don't address in some capacity.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Truth to be told, at first glance I really like the idea of an adventure game where the fights are puzzles with a new combat system.

It might not be what I hoped for, but it doesn't look bad at all to me. Companions have names, writing could be funny, the world looks gorgeous and at first glance the fights look nice too!
If the game isn't stretched out too much and hover around 15 hours or so, it might be perfect for me.

I understand everyone longing for a classical Paper Mario though. At least Nintendo didn't remake these games yet, so they aren't stuck on the 3DS.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
This game definitely seems deceptive in length. A Prologue + six Chapters (the last of which being questionable, since we don't know how long it'll be) seems short at first glance, but the variety in areas within those chapters seems great. Interludes might help out too.

Since we're on the topic of locations though, i'll try my best at translating the ones mentioned on the Japanese site (the localised names will definitely be different though):
  • Prologue:
    • Deku Mountain (デクの山)
  • Chapter 1: ... doesn't mention any location here besides
    • Toad Town (キノピオタウン)
  • Chapter 2:
    • Maple Mountain (モミジ山)
    • OEDO Land (OEDOランド)
    • Drama Castle (劇城)
  • Chapter 3: I need help with both of these, lol
    • ムーチョサンドリア (well, Mucho = Snifit, but I dunno about the rest. Sand Rear?)
    • ヤケスナ大さばく (no clue)
  • Chapter 4:
    • Open Ocean (大海原)
  • Chapter 5:
    • Jungle Hot Spring (ジャングルおんせん)

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not anticipating more than 6 chapters considering we've seen that the fast travel hub has 6 pipes, but that doesn't mean I expect the game to be short. Color Splash was almost 4 years ago, I'd assume this game has been in the oven for a while.

TOM 2

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost Planet Spaceship
I'd prefer it if the paper aesthetics weren't so in-your-face after this entry. Some of it is fine, but some of it just doesn't gel well with some of the objects. It's like there's clashing with artistic directions or something.

I'm still going to enjoy this one though.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
We can't use number areas as length, many of TTYD's chapters did a lot with a small space.

And at least in terms of structure, this compares more to that than CS given that it's ditched the world map with segmented levels for one explorable area per chapter. And even then it seems a lot more open than TTYD.

Though I don't know what that means in terms of backtracking lol.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Though I don't know what that means in terms of backtracking lol.
I have a feeling that the jungle chapter might have some heavy backtracking. From the trailer, the order of events seem to be: meeting Kamek in the cloud city after being knocked out of Bowser's airship, going down into the jungle to find and rescue Bowser Jr., then returning to the cloud city to clean Junior in the hot spring.

Hope i'm wrong though, lol.

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
Just another reminder of something most of us knew. Soundtrack's gonna be goooood.

More of the main theme:

Last edited:

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I should never have allowed myself to be excited for a new paper Mario game.

-Drawn out battles with no experience
-Temporary Partners lol
-Cringe amount of fourth wall breaking and boss designs
-The Sticker outlines are as hideous as ever

This looks genuinely terrible.
Oh well, at least Bug Fables exists thankfully.

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019
Just another reminder of something most of us knew. Soundtrack's gonna be goooood.

More of the main theme:

No lie. While I feel the games have gotten worse from a gameplay perspective, they have gotten much better from a musical perspective. Listening to the new trailer with headphones was a great experience.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can't not think of the origami killer when I see posts about this. Game looks good though.

Although I will say I don't think the paper aesthetic is as well realised as tearaway. That had so many nice little touches with its animations and physics.

The bosses are a bit... unimpressive too imo. Like, fighting a roll of tape and a box of pencils just feels like they ran out of ideas. The rubber band thing at least has some character.

Last edited:

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Wait... do we have confirmation about EXP points yet?

Arlo's video had me genuinely worried about something that I assumed would be in the game. I also agree with Arlo that not having XP or any equivalent will ruin and stain all of the good will that the game has earned thus far.

Seeing a lot of mixed reactions on this subject which leads me to believe that we still don't know?

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This game seems like it's gonna be hella long considering how much they're showing.
I need something to tide me over through most of july and august and this just might last me.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Arlo's video had me genuinely worried about something that I assumed would be in the game. I also agree with Arlo that not having XP or any equivalent will ruin and stain all of the good will that the game has earned thus far.

Seeing a lot of mixed reactions on this subject which leads me to believe that we still don't know?
That seems like an overreaction.

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019

We can't say for certain either way but I think it's reasonable to assume that this will not have EXP points. It is yet to be seen how progression will occur in this game.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
We're really downplaying the idea of removing experience points from the Paper Mario franchise huh?

Well here's my main issue- removing experience points or an equivalent system eliminates the reward of doing enemy battles and robs the player of the sense of character progression that was present in PM64 and TTYD. No matter how "interesting" the new battle system is, players would be incentivized to avoid battles rather than participate in them. This was a massive point of contention with the previous two Paper Mario games.

It's a valid concern.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
We're really downplaying the idea of removing experience points from the Paper Mario franchise huh?

Well here's my main issue- removing experience points or an equivalent system eliminates the reward of doing random battles and robs the player of the sense of character progression that was present in PM64 and TTYD. This was a massive point of contention with the previous two Paper Mario games.

It's a valid concern.
An experience point system isn't a requirement for battles to have meaning. And sure, if you're constantly getting pulled into random battles, you want those battles to provide some measure of reward, but but it doesn't necessarily have to be experience poins.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 3: I need help with both of these, lol
  • ムーチョサンドリア (well, Mucho = Snifit, but I dunno about the rest. Sand Rear?)
  • ヤケスナ大さばく (no clue)
I'm not sure what サンドリア is, it could just be an attempt to make a place name with sand in it, like "Sandoria" or something. Maybe there is a pun in there that I am not recognizing.

For the second one, さばくis desert and 大 is just big. ヤケスナ looks like a combination of やけ meaning burnt/hot and すな meaning sand, I wonder if this is also some kind of pun.

Also by the way, I think OEDO is referring to Edo, which is the old name for Tokyo (this must be the old Japanese style town we see in the trailer). The O in front is just the honorable prefix that is added to important words sometimes. I'm not sure why they wrote it out as "OEDO" though, maybe this one also has some double meaning. Like maybe the O also means origami or something?

Nice job on these translations by the way! It's great that you are learning, I am studying Japanese myself, too!

Last edited:

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

Well here's my main issue- removing experience points or an equivalent system eliminates the reward of doing enemy battles and robs the player of the sense of character progression that was present in PM64 and TTYD. No matter how "interesting" the new battle system is, players would be incentivized to avoid battles rather than participate in them. This was a massive point of contention with the previous two Paper Mario games.

It's a valid concern.
As somebody who loves paper Mario 64 and thinks TTYD is a good game. I actively avoided battles in both games because they became annoying after around chapter 3. It wasn't really rewarding so much as it was me playing catch up so I can beat the bosses.

Experience points isn't necessary if progression is tied to other areas.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm not sure what サンドリア is, it could just be an attempt to make a place name with sand in it, like "Sandoria" or something. Maybe there is a pun in there that I am not recognizing.

For the second one, さばくis desert and 大 is just big. ヤケスナ looks like a combination of やけ meaning burnt/hot and すな meaning sand, I wonder if this is also some kind of pun.

Also by the way, I think OEDO is referring to Edo, which is the old name for Tokyo (this must be the old Japanese style town we see in the trailer). The O in front is just the honorable prefix that is added to important words sometimes. I'm not sure why they wrote it out as "OEDO" though, maybe this one also has some double meaning. Like maybe the O also means origami or something?

Nice job on these translations by the way! It's great that you are learning, I am studying Japanese myself, too!
Ha, thanks. I've been slowly piecing together a really basic understanding of Japanese; mostly thanks to my brother giving me some lessons to test his own knowledge.

The main desert one really stumped me, yeah. I picked up on burnt, sand and big individually, but I couldn't tell what they were going for with it, or how to type it out naturally in English. I'm assuming the localised name won't be anything close to that.

Also yep, OEDO is the Japanese village (the name is mentioned at least three times on the site, so it's hard to miss).