• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 25 1.5%
  • 90-94

Votes: 50 3.0%
  • 85-89

Votes: 310 18.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 730 44.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 420 25.5%
  • 70-74

Votes: 82 5.0%
  • under 70

Votes: 31 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Doesn't sound as bad as expected but everyone seems to agree the battles get boring quick. Having most of the gameplay be focused on finding Toads and confetti spots on top of that just sounds like a tedious 25ish hours... I'll definitely be reading player impressions though to see if it's worth picking up later at a lower price tag.

Do partners at least have field abilities? I still can't get over the fact they added Kamek and the Bowsers as partners in a game where they don't really add anything.

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019
I mean it's no more rare than any other Nintendo franchise, which usually only gets one game per generation.

I think it's pretty safe to assume we won't be seeing another Paper Mario until the Switch 2.
I hope a real turn based Mario RPG has a chance on this system but I think it's time to give up the ghost in that one.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Any word on performance yet?

Want to make sure it's solid before ordering as I've been burned a few too many times with Ninty's more recent first-party output.

lol well if we can reference the controversy then I'd suggest:

Paper Mario: The Origami King |OT| No Experience Required

This has my vote.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Looks like a hard pass for me. Color Splash's battle mechanic was so bad that I couldn't finish it (despite other aspects of the game being great). Looks to be the same here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Same concept isn't it? A fun game riddled with a bad mechanic throughout. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love to get this game if this isn't the case.
Actually it's pretty avoidable, there's only a handful of forced ones and it's still fast, otherwise you can avoid it(and when your health gets high enough you auto defeat the weaker ones)

Plus boss fights and mini bosses(paper mach) have different and good fights

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Lol.

EDIT: and this reply is amazing

This would be so goddamn awful, lol. I'm annoyed just looking at this concept. Your rewards are for maybe if you have trouble in the fights but you'd actively not want to engage in them in the first place, so the rwards in retrospect are just awful.

Edit: Hm, Andre's response doesn't make sense to me, like its not really a perception issue. Imagining them as these optional puzzles doesn't really fix the core issue of it. The question is why would you want to engage in the regular puzzles obstacles over the span of a 30 hour playthrough? It almost feels like an element from a game that AVGN would review, like something that's extra annoying that's added to the obstacles in the game thats just bad game design.

Last edited:

Darrilium

Jan 3, 2020
I honestly feel like the whole puzzle/strategy combat in TOK sounds 100x more fun than "go through the list of stickers or cards you have and choose the appropriate one to deal the most damage to this enemy" or "go through the list of real world objects and find the good one to insta-kill that boss", but maybe that's just me?

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Bug Fables received very good reviews. For those having doubts about this game, I'd recommend checking that out.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
They added partners because people complained, but the lead team on this are so stubborn they did the bare minimum on it.

I respect people saying the ending is good, but for me

it's a very lazy rehash of the last two games' endings. And your final phase of your final boss being quicktime events makes me wince

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
They added partners because people complained, but the lead team on this are so stubborn they did the bare minimum on it.

I respect people saying the ending is good, but for me

it's a very lazy rehash of the last two games' endings. And your final phase of your final boss being quicktime events is... what?
Come on now. You're assuming too much here.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
You're calling the dev team stubborn because...why? They didn't fulfill your personal desires?
they reuse the same concepts over and over in these last three installments, making just minor token changes in response to complaints.

Rock paper scissors is back in one boss fight. Enough! They think they are way more clever than they are with this paper meta everywhere.

all the power to you if you enjoy the series still. I'm out and not looking back until there's major shakeup at the top of IS

hsojlightfoot

Apr 6, 2020
Just ordered on Amazon and says July 21st delivery. Just a heads up those wanting to play day one. Maybe its just my area. I don't care really. I will be playing Ghost of Tsushima first.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
they reuse the same concepts over and over in these last three installments, making just minor token changes in response to complaints.

all the power to you if you enjoy the series still. I'm out and not looking back until there's major shakeup at the top of IS
I am not reading your spoiler. And none of what you've said justifies calling them "stubborn."

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
Combat isn't pointless because combat in this game isn't a series of midless turn based encounters, they are PUZZLES.

They get harder with each enemy type introduced. It shouldn't be that hard to understand.

Battle system in this game is not bad. In fact it's far from bad, it is an enjoyable system which especially shines in boss battles.

Also, combat in this game does not just consist of wave encounters. You can defeat enemies with real time combat. Mario can even one shot Goombas when he gets strong enough. So tweet in the post above makes absolutely zero sense.

BTW there is progression in the game. More you progress, stronger Mario becomes.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Just ordered on Amazon and says July 21st delivery. Just a heads up those wanting to play day one. Maybe its just my area. I don't care really. I will be playing Ghost of Tsushima first.
Mine hasn't been delayed yet but if it doesn't ship tomorrow morning I'll cancel it as I have to go to Walmart Friday anyways

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
Lol.

[tweet removed, included in reply below]

EDIT: and this reply is amazing

In an average 2D Mario level you face approximately 20 enemies. Levels take like 10 minutes to complete. That 2 enemies per minute.

In Paper Mario: TOK you face a combat encounter in like every 5 minutes. Also, you do not just press some buttons, attack and win.
Each combat encounter is a puzzle and they get gradually harder.
So, this is nohing more than replying a joke tweet with such a wrong take .

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
In an average 2D Mario level you face approximately 20 enemies. Levels take like 10 minutes to complete. That 2 enemies per minute.

In Paper Mario: TOK you face a combat encounter in like every 5 minutes. Also, you do not just press some buttons, attack and win.
Each combat encounter is a puzzle and they get gradually harder.
So, this is nohing more than replying a joke tweet with such a wrong take .

Agreed! Just thought it was funny. Andre's initial tweet is clearly sarcasm and the reply took the bait.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Game sounds great! I don't need Paper Mario to be a strict RPG. I just need it to be fun.

It's about the complete package for me. The last games were not fun on any level on top of having pointless combat.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Combat isn't pointless because combat in this game isn't a series of midless turn based encounters, they are PUZZLES.

They get harder with each enemy type introduced. It shouldn't be that hard to understand.

Battle system in this game is not bad. In fact it's far from bad, it is an enjoyable system which especially shines in boss battles.

Also, combat in this game does not just consist of wave encounters. You can defeat enemies with real time combat. Mario can even one shot Goombas when he gets strong enough. So tweet in the post above makes absolutely zero sense.

BTW there is progression in the game. More you progress, stronger Mario becomes.
What would be the material difference to the game if, instead of being on the over world, they stored these puzzles in a minigame shack in each chaper?

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I'm kind of glad I never played any of the previous Paper Mario games, so I'll be able to get into this without any pre-conceived ideas or expectations clouding my ability to enjoy the game for what it is. Any hey, if it sucks, I can always try on the original games for the first time. Win-win!

Apr 30, 2019
Such a shame. The first two Paper Marios are my favorite Nintendo games. I never fully expected a true return to form, but early on this game looked promising to me.