• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 25 1.5%
  • 90-94

Votes: 50 3.0%
  • 85-89

Votes: 310 18.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 730 44.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 420 25.5%
  • 70-74

Votes: 82 5.0%
  • under 70

Votes: 31 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I wholeheartedly sympathize with the people who want a return to the classic Paper Mario roots, I truly do. But the fact that the fan base has pretty deviously perpetuated this "Miyamoto Myth" for 8 years despite it being easy to fact check his actual comments about the game and the way IS chose to interpret them makes it hard for me not to consider that large swathes of this series' fan base are pretty irrational to a fault.

(Disclaimer: This obviously shouldn't have to be said but if you are someone who dislikes the current direction without having to make conspiracy theories about Miyamoto then this doesn't apply to you)
It's especially funny because the same interview that's the primary source for most of the hate has Miyamoto as thinking Sticker Star's mechanics were conceptually boring and IS going with them anyway.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah I'm not satisfied with where the series is but I will never understand the people who peddle this Miyamoto conspiracy.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same argument applies to the other side. I sited some sources actually, I've yet to see a quality source to the other side. Either way I'm not looking to change anyone's mind because it's a futile effort, believe what you will.
You cited something and then completely got what it said wrong or shit that was just straight up wrong, good job

. And don't spin this "believe what you will" horseshit. You don't get to play centrist while trying to character assassinate someone.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Ec-gAJHUEAEAjCE

Imagine if it said "a traditional RPG"

I wouldn't want to be on Era/Twitter

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a fun game as long as you're expecting more of an adventure/puzzle game than a hardcore JRPG.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I blew my last voucher on this because it expired and Nintendo was nice enough to grant a 7 day extension. Looks like it will not be wasted! Not what I wanted, but if it has the charm of color splash and better, it'll be worth it.

MagnesD3

May 28, 2020
User Banned (3 months): trolling, junior account
You cited something and then completely got what it said wrong or shit that was just straight up wrong, good job

. And don't spin this "believe what you will" horseshit. You don't get to play centrist while trying to character assassinate someone.
Lol didn't character assassinate anything unless you have somewhere where I stayed this as fact. I said there's a pattern that I see and it points in a certain direction. Also if you don't like my sources that's fine, at least I provided em, you can do the rest of the research on your own if you really wanna understand my view, I'm not obligated to provide more.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not satisfied with where the series is but I will never understand the people who peddle this Miyamoto conspiracy.
It's easier for people to think that one person ruined the thing they liked and that the real developers are just waiting for the opportunity to go back to the one true game, instead of the reality that the team just moved on to other ideas.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
That screenshot has the same energy as (dialogue spoiler)-
A character ranting about how much he hates Toads and says how once you've seen one you've seen them all.

MagnesD3

May 28, 2020
It's easier for people to think that one person ruined the thing they liked and that the real developers are just waiting for the opportunity to go back to the one true game, instead of the reality that the team just moved on to other ideas.
It's more likely a combination of things, I'm not foolish enough to believe it's just one thing, life's never that simple.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol didn't character assassinate anything unless you have somewhere where I stayed this as fact. I said there's a pattern that I see and it points in a certain direction. Also if you don't like my sources that's fine, at least I provided em, you can do the rest of the research on your own if you really wanna understand my view, I'm not obligated to provide more.
Once more, what fucking pattern? The only shit you've talked about is stuff that's been disproved. Either site an actual source to back up your garbage or shut up.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me it would be that once you've played the first 20 hours or so, you've done it all. It becomes pretty rote at that point, although I really enjoyed it for 20-25 hours. Very good game, a bit overrated.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean let's be real here, all the sales and high praise Twilight Princess got back in 2006 was because everyone was still hyped to hell on that game.

Since then, its reputation has only dissipated.

I swear this is part of the Zelda cycle somehow, heard the exact same things said about OoT, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker as well.

The same will probably happen to BoTW as well in a few years. And I say that as someone that doesn't like BoTW now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IGN Italia (8.7/10, review in Italian):
Long, extremely entertaining and winking as a story, pleasant to play. Even if the double structure of the fights in the long run is a bit boring, especially when you are facing yet another semi-random clash in a row.

IGN Spain (8.5/10, review in Spanish):
New first-party from Nintendo, new great game for Switch. Despite the fact that being announced just two months ago, the new installment of Mario's RPG saga is brilliant, even if its combat puzzles mechanics end up getting too repetitive.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I swear this is part of the Zelda cycle somehow, heard the exact same things said about OoT, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker as well.

The same will probably happen to BoTW as well in a few years. And I say that as someone that doesn't like BoTW now.
The Zelda Cycle isn't real, it was invented to deflect criticism from that time Nintendo released three lacking 3D Zeldas in a row

It has only ever been applied to Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword, and none of the other 14 mainline Zelda games.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
The Zelda Cycle isn't real, it was invented to deflect criticism from that time Nintendo released three lacking 3D Zeldas in a row

It has only ever been applied to Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword, and none of the other 14 mainline Zelda games.

"Lacking" isn't the word one would use to describe these games.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm sorry are you calling WW "lacking?"

time-space

Oct 27, 2017
Sony and Nintendo are absolutely crashing it with their games output. I'll have to pick this up alongside ghost this Friday. My first paper Mario game.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017

Majora's Mask was absolutely a part of it.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So from video footage it looks like hitting blocks and filling in holes net you consumable attacks, just like the cards from Color Splash. The main thing people were saying about the economy is that you'd want to battle for money as you needed it for both attack and accessories, but it looks like the only things worth buying in the game period are healing items (which are dirt cheap) and accessories. You'll surely have more than enough for everything you need without fighting a single battle.

Why even have regular combat at all?

monali

Mar 8, 2020

Yeah, Majora's Mask has never been a controversial game, right?
Why even have regular combat at all?
The same question I ask whenever I play any Zelda, Metroid, or 3d/2d Mario game really.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Majora's Mask was absolutely a part of it.
The Zelda cycle was specifically that people would dislike a game when it first came out, and then praise it once the sequel released and move on to bashing the sequel. I don't think that describes Majora, Majora is just kind of a weird game so it has a lot of fanatics that love it and people that it didn't quite work for — not that necessarily opinions have changed over time.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my original post. I didn't mean to imply it was bad. It certainly wasn't similar to OoT, though.

I remember when Twilight Princess came out, it was exactly what I wanted as a successor to OoT.

I would argue it's the closest 3D game to OoT since it came out. Yea the dungeons aren't as intertwined as OoT, but as individual pieces they are solid. And the rest of the game basically builds upon everything that made Ocarina the GOAT.

I would even say, what BOTW does so well is build upon the exploration aspects of Wind Waker and SS. The next step for BOTW 2, should be to build upon the story/enemies/dungeons of twilight/OOT

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like some WalMarts are stocking this in display units? A friend of mine said he saw it in the case at our local WalMart.

I've been digital since COVID, not changing for this.