• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 25 1.5%
  • 90-94

Votes: 50 3.0%
  • 85-89

Votes: 310 18.8%
  • 80-84

Votes: 730 44.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 420 25.5%
  • 70-74

Votes: 82 5.0%
  • under 70

Votes: 31 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Somebody help me decide what's sillier:

Getting bent out of shape that one reviewer at one website rating one game gave it a score that angers this person
or
Thinking that anybody else would be "pissed off today" by having that review brought to their attention

Oh, I agree that both are silly. But as we have seen in the previous Paper Mario threads, Paper Mario fans tend to have unified beliefs, namely TTYD is an all-time classic that is beyond reproach, and Sticker Star is an abomination.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I'll go with an 85, better story than Color Splash, same amazing visuals, good writing, and the combat system is what drags it down.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if most reviewers will review it based on what it is, and not what they believe it should be.
I don't think it's quite that simple. At the end of the day, whatever the specific aspects of the game are, it's got to come together to be a compelling a well designed experience. If it's not, then it doesn't matter whether the game is an RPG or not, it'll still be a lacking experience.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks to all for the answers. I appreciate it. I understand a lot better after reading through the comments.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Oh, I agree that both are silly. But as we have seen in the previous Paper Mario threads, Paper Mario fans tend to have unified beliefs, namely TTYD is an all-time classic that is beyond reproach, and Sticker Star is an abomination.
Haha fair enough. I'm more of a neutral observer for Paper Mario games. I've never really been too hot or cold on them ... basically I've just always wanted more SMRPG in my life.

Jan 11, 2018
Genuine question, not playing stupid or anything, but do people really not think their isn't a Nintendo bias in media or in general? Its honestly pretty flamboyant in my opinion. A lot of their games are generally rated higher then what they should be if it wasn't their IP. I hope Paper Mario does well as I love Nintendo games and have two Switches, but the extra love Nintendo gets is obvious.

Their average metascore is a 76. You're seeing things that aren't there.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I see some people are already at the "Nintendo bias" stage to explain why the game might rate higher than what they want despite not playing it themselves.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the only Paper Mario game I didn't enjoy was Sticker Star, so I'm pretty excited for this one!

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Given I love Color Splash, for me it's gonna be higher, but I think Metascore will be 81-82.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I was not absolutely sure I'd get it but was expecting last week's stream to fully convince me I wanted this. After watching it, my opinion actually changed for the worse, but if reviews are good and impressions are generally very positive, I might still get it down the line. I haven't played a Paper Mario in ages, but that boss fight was very boring to watch, I don't think playing it would make it that much better.
I hope the thread doesn't turn into a shitshow.....
You have too much faith my friend, some people seem like they can only explain their points of view in absolute extremes, nothing in between.

Oct 25, 2017
Genuine question, not playing stupid or anything, but do people really not think their isn't a Nintendo bias in media or in general? Its honestly pretty flamboyant in my opinion. A lot of their games are generally rated higher then what they should be if it wasn't their IP. I hope Paper Mario does well as I love Nintendo games and have two Switches, but the extra love Nintendo gets is obvious.

Dude

honestly

just fuckin stop

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
83 is my guess, significant improvement over the last two games and a good game on its own, but still not quite where the series once was.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don't think it's quite that simple. At the end of the day, whatever the specific aspects of the game are, it's got to come together to be a compelling a well designed experience. If it's not, then it doesn't matter whether the game is an RPG or not, it'll still be a lacking experience.
But how you judge a game depends on the genre.

If for example I'm playing Uncharted 4 I can't say "It has little variety of builds available" or "Poor implementation of player decisions in the story".

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

If for example I'm playing Uncharted 4 I can't say "It has little variety of builds available" or "Poor implementation of player decisions in the story".
The game has combat. It's fully fair to criticize that combat for failing to incentivize the player to take part in it.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017

Sure, I don't disagree. Like I said, the specifics of the game are going to be different from game to game, but regardless of what those are, those specific components have to work together to form a unified, well-designed experience. I think we'd agree that you can have a unified, well-designed experience with or without a "variety of builds" or "player decisions in the story".

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
I think somewhere in the 70s, which is perfectly fine. It's a nice little comfort food game.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
That 8-8.4 boundary is going to be telling for me. Whether or not it sits with the first 3 or the latter 3 games.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Sure, I don't disagree. Like I said, the specifics of the game are going to be different from game to game, but regardless of what those are, those specific components have to work together to form a unified, well-designed experience. I think we'd agree that you can have a unified, well-designed experience with or without a "variety of builds" or "player decisions in the story".
Yes, but if you were convinced that Uncharted 4 should be a looter shooter (for some reason) and played Uncharted 4, you would be unable to see the great game that is because you would always be thinking "Where's my legendary shotgun?".

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Uhh, what the hell is this lmao. There's not such thing as a review bias unless it's from a fan site, and most of the time not even then.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017

I'm not sure if this will be a day-one purchase for me, but it's definitely something I'm eager to play once I get gifted an eshop gift card, or if it goes on sale in the future.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but if you were convinced that Uncharted 4 should be a looter shooter (for some reason) and played Uncharted 4, you would be unable to see the great game that is because you would always be thinking "Where's my legendary shotgun?".
Now that I don't agree with.

A large part of the audience's role in art (regardless of the medium - games, movies, books, etc.) is their understanding of the work. And the thing about bold and original art is that it challenges the audience's understanding, it makes them confront their understand and force them to learn and expand their understanding of what the art is. That dramatic experience of coming to understand a work is a large part of what makes it so compelling.

Now, for this specific example, if someone were to go into this game understanding it to be an RPG (because maybe they haven't played a Paper Mario game since TTYD, and maybe they've avoided all the marketing or reviews for this game), and then this game isn't an RPG, then the game has to try to make its case for why it's not an RPG. Why did the devs think that the game would be better without RPG elements? And even then, maybe the audience walks away from the game without a satisfying answer to that, without understanding why this game is the way it is and not the way they expected it to be , at which point the audience might just chalk it up to well, the artist (in this case the devs) are bad, or the game is just bad, etc. Imo that's sort of just like the nature of the whole art-artist-audience relationship though.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking 86. Previews appear to be glowing outside of the criticisms around combat. I think it'll be higher than most believe.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Never played a Paper Mario game before but absolutely love everything I've seen and heard about Origami King so far. Used my last eShop-voucher for this and can't wait to jump in on Friday. Prediction: 84.

Chuck795

May 7, 2020
Man this is probably gonna be seen as controversial, but after Bug Fables I'm looking forward to a nice little romp with a cool world and some good dialogue. Bug fables is a good game, but the writing never connected with me. The world was cool, but never reached Paper Mario heights. I did like the combat system, but it got pretty repetitive. For an indie, the game is fantastic. However, im looking forward to quick fights with the new puzzle system and to just soak in a Paper Mario world.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
This is the game I'm most interested to see reviews for. Does anyone know if the writing in this one is a step up from Color Splash? The main thing I loved TTYD and SPM for were the writing not the RPG mechanics or the gameplay. I still think about this joke from SPM all the time, and it gets me every time:

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Instead of dogpiling you, I'm gonna ask you a question- which of their games do you believe are rated higher than what they should be?