• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tinarg

Jan 13, 2020

Here's mario getting over a thousand coins for doing almost nothing. Battling isn't the most efficient way to farm for money.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
If Intelligent Systems doesn't want to make this a RPG series anymore i really wish they would just give it to a different developer then that would.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What if I told you that minus the mandatory fights I played all three Metroid Prime avoiding all possible fights running from one room to the next?
I'd say that was probably more frustrating than it's worth seeing as the games do a pretty good job of placing enemies in positions that make engaging with them far more preferable to trying to dodge them. The exception to this being the Chozo ghosts of MP1... but they lock you in the room.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the last two games offered coins as an incentive and I didn't care about battling in those...I guess if it's easy to skip them it's no deal breaker.

But at this point I wish they'd just drop the turn based battles and do something else...Super Paper Mario combat? No combat and go full on adventure game?

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Wonder how soon you can get that item that just lets you defeat regular enemies in the overworld, cause I wouldn't mind using it from the get go at this point. :P

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It sucks because I always thought Sticker Star would've been super interesting if it took more from Baten Kaitos and resource management of the stickers was more of a thing.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico

Here's mario getting over a thousand coins for doing almost nothing. Battling isn't the most efficient way to farm for money.

That is nice but there can be repeatable battles that give you 10,000 coins and give you more. Furthermore is it known if those coins on the overworld can respawn? This doesn't proves anything until people have the final game.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
If you do the math he got only 40 and we know upgrades cost up to 2000+ coins.

You all do too much.

Furthermore is it known if those coins on the overworld can respawn? This doesn't proves anything until people have the final game.
Is the same system as Color Splash. If you clear the area with paint/confetti you get some coins but they don't respawn. Little enviromental objects do respawn coins but usually 3 or 4 for piece.

Tinarg

Jan 13, 2020
CMhCxjw.jpg

Mario is seen with tens of thousands of coins in the trailer and yet the shop prices are so comparatively low. It doesn't look like coins carry much value at all, so the 200-1000 you get from one battle is paltry.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If people can keep telling us how they could run through so many other games without facing enemies then I'm sure you can avoid all battles, get the coins you need from the world to beat the game

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
But you only need coins for things you use in battle. Which you won't need as many of as long as you avoid battling. We've seen this problem play out already.

You could use hundreds of coins but if the battle gives thousands of coins it would be a net gain. The curve could also change from early to late game.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Looks to be another good, but not great, Nintendo game that I'll play then just end up dropping for no particular reason. Also, Nintendo sure struggles with that arts and crafts visual style starting with like Yoshi last year. So disjointed (but still cool) looking.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
And the combat in a game like Zelda is fun and quick and you get a satisfying feeling hitting an enemy. In this game you get slow turn based battles

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Not only do the battles seem pointless from a progression standpoing but they're also quite gimmicky from what we've seen so far... SO I'm not sure how this game will hold up after a few hours of playing.

Tinarg

Jan 13, 2020
UTyxqtA.png

Here's mario getting another 210 coins in the area directly adjacent to the 1000-coin item box. This is still very early on (tutorial battles still taking place) and mario's got 5500 coins already.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
You could use hundreds of coins but if the battle gives thousands of coins it would be a net gain. The curve could also change from early to late game.
Or you could save those hundreds of coins, use them only for the battles you're required to do, and reap the thousands of coins from that to use for the next required battle.

Moreover, we've seen that you get thousands of coins on the overworld.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
At this rate I just wish they'd use the original formula in a brand-new IP. Bug Fables is nice but it doesn't really meet that level of polish you can expect from most Nintendo games.

All these previews do is make me want to go back and do another run in BF's. Sure it'll be a good adventure game, but lousy rpg

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to see a begrudgingly-done any% speedrun where someone skips every battle in the game while mumbling *What's the point?* :v

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I wish someone would develop another real rpg game especially with Mario and Luigi dead. This sounds like it will be a fun time though

Tinarg

Jan 13, 2020
The thing is the previews tell you this.

I know. Some people were making the argument that coins could work as de facto EXP.
Even still, there's only 18 accessories in the game and they can be switched out during battle, so there's not really any system to make different mario "builds" like in the originals.

I dunno man, I'm just so bummed out about all of this. The game looked like it had an enormous amount of potential from the trailers.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I'm having a hard time understanding the criticism of "Its not The Thousand Year Door part 2" when TTYD came out 16 years ago. 16 years! Paper Mario hasn't been in the vein of that game in literally more than half it's life. The 3 games that followed TTYD were barely RPGs in their own way. The series clearly doesn't want to be like TTYD and if you can't accept that after 16 years, I really don't know what to tell you. It's a shame that the games haven't been to your liking, but it's not like there wasn't a huge Mario RPG presence on the DS and 3DS that we're in ways much, much better than Paper Mario was. At this point it's clear that you come to Paper Mario for the writing and not the battles.

It's okay to let a series go if it goes in a direction that you're no longer interested. Just move on.
This wouldn't be much of an issue if the games in the new direction are well-executed. Just look at the reception for Fire Emblem: Three Houses compared to that Awakening and Fates, despite all of these games sharing roughly the same new direction (i.e. a greater focus on character-building).

The problem is that Sticker Star and Color Splash are badly-designed games in addition to abandoning the old design philosophy which has worked in the past.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Here's a feature from the USgamer preview that I don't think I've seen other previews bring up:
A magnanimous Toad might even throw you a weapon upgrade as you fight, which exemplifies the thing I like most about The Origami King's battle system: the ability to bribe Toads to do your heavy lifting. When a fight starts, you can throw coins onto the battlefield. Eager Toads collect the coins and perform a kind action according to how much you gifted them. They might re-arrange the enemies for you so that solving the ring-puzzle becomes easier. They might throw objects that are good for a few hits on a foe. They might restore some of Mario's health, and as already discussed, they might throw you a weapon upgrade.

What makes Toad-bribing especially fun is how more and more Toads watch your fights as you progress further into the game. King Olly's invasion caused Toads to scatter everywhere (and I mean everywhere) and rescuing the fun guys gradually restores life to the depleted Kingdom. Some rescued Toads fill the abandoned towns, some sell you goods, and some become part of your audience—and your patrons if you show them the gold.

You earn a lot of gold in The Origami King, but you also spend a lot. The badges from The Thousand Year Door don't make a return, but there are purchasable accessories that boost your defense, give you more time to "solve" a battlefield puzzle before you fight, and more. Weapon and boot items gobble up a lot of your dosh as well. But my absolute favorite activity is to siphon hundreds of coins from Mario's pocket, fling them onto the battlefield, and watch the Toads spring for them like dogs after bones. All games should have such an entertaining "Easy Mode."
You can win battles just by throwing money at them, which is kinda funny.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These arent random encounters though. You can dodge enemies here just as you can dodge their shots and barrel through rooms in MP.
If enemies were something meant to be dodged then they should forgo the elaborate battle setup and lengthy screen transitions and just dock health of I run into them. Which, strangely enough, they have that with the giant paper Goomba, and I don't see anyone complaining about that.

Shooting in a shooting game is like jumping on an enemy in Mario. Just really simple combat where you get out what you put in. I doubt anyone making these "well what's your reward for shooting in X shooting game" posts are being genuine though.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
How far are these people into Origami King? Just because you get a lot of coins easily in the beginning doesn't mean the whole game's balanced that way.

The biggest incentive of battles in the beginning will be to learn the basic systems. I haven't watched a lot of videos but I haven't seen anybody who's farther than several hours. Let me know if there are any people who have gotten far.

Tinarg

Jan 13, 2020
This wouldn't be much of an issue if the games in the new direction are well-executed. Just look at the reception for Fire Emblem: Three Houses compared to that Awakening and Fates, despite all of these games sharing roughly the same new direction (i.e. a greater focus on character-building).

The problem is that Sticker Star and Color Splash are badly-designed games in addition to abandoning the old design philosophy which has worked in the past.

This is exactly it. I wouldn't be upset at all if Sticker Star and Color Splash were still amazing games in their own right, but they both have so many poor design choices that just completely ruin the experience. It looks like Origami King is falling for a lot of the same pitfalls as those two.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not nearly as disconcerted about the prospect of skipping battles (as I've always subscribed to the enemies-as-obstacles model anyway and thought that was the point of JRPGs introducing avoidable enemy placements on the map) as I am about the prospect of another generation's worth of insufferable whining from the zealots who hate "pointless" battles and haven't had anything original to say about them since 2012. Yawn.

I see this has already been the focus of this thread before the game has even arrived, and that regardless of how well the game turns out, there just won't be any conversation worth having. (My main problem with the SS/CS duo, meanwhile, was always the insipid inventory-check bosses all built around hard-counter Things.)

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing about frame rate and resolution, which didn't use to matter to me but does now for the sake of video capture. I only came in here to ask if anything on that score has been confirmed.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I know. Some people were making the argument that coins could work as de facto EXP.
Even still, there's only 18 accessories in the game and they can be switched out during battle, so there's not really any system to make different mario "builds" like in the originals.

I dunno man, I'm just so bummed out about all of this. The game looked like it had an enormous amount of potential from the trailers.
Maybe you're spending too much time analyzing it in an echo chamber then? Perhaps wait and see what you think when you play the actual game

Also I love puzzles so that alone could make the battles worth playing for me

Tinarg

Jan 13, 2020
How far are these people into Origami King? Just because you get a lot of coins easily in the beginning doesn't mean the whole game's balanced that way.

The biggest incentive of battles in the beginning will be to learn the basic systems. I haven't watched a lot of videos but I haven't seen anybody who's farther than several hours. Let me know if there are any people who have gotten far.

Over at Gamexplain, Xander's already beaten it and Andre is purportedly super close. Both said they avoided battles for almost the entire game to little consequence.

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
This game was never going to be difficult so the criticisms don't really hurt my interest. I understand the thought process behind the frustration but don't share it.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
But I am not going to say that Metroid Prime is a bad game because its combat system is "useless".
You're participating in the combat, you're simply doing so passively. That is not the case in this game.
Just like when I'm playing any pre-BOTW Zelda I get nothing for facing enemies
You get resources that can be used for more than the combat. Moreover, again, you face them because they will hit you if you do not.

Tinarg

Jan 13, 2020
Maybe you're spending too much time analyzing it in an echo chamber then? Perhaps wait and see what you think when you play the actual game

Also I love puzzles so that alone could make the battles worth playing for me

My favorite aspects of the originals were the combat system, resource management and sandbox-y progression trees with the badge system. I'm almost certain at this point that Origami King isn't offering anything like that.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

All of the previews only describe the game up until the second world

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
You're participating in the combat, you're simply doing so passively. That is not the case in this game.

You get resources that can be used for more than the combat. Moreover, again, you face them because they will hit you if you do not.
You get a lot more rupees in Zelda by exploring the scenarios than in combat, the same thing being criticized here. And most of the time rupees are pretty useless anyway.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game will definitely review better than Color Splash on the merit alone of it being a better world and more open connected design. Everything else seems similar or a little bit better than CS.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You get a lot more rupees in Zelda by exploring the scenarios than in combat, the same thing being criticized here. And most of the time rupees are pretty useless anyway.
In Zelda you're not participating in combat for the rupee reward. You're participating in it due to the enemy placements making it more trouble than it's worth to avoid them, plus the fact that the best way to refill your health mid dungeon dungeon is by heart drops off enemies.

These aren't the gotchas that you think they are.