• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the final location right now and this game is so delightfully odd. The scenarios are wildly divergent and the dialogue made me laugh out loud way too many times. Also gets surprisingly creepy! There's on mini-boss that was basically like a Paper Mario creepypasta come to life.

Definitely strange contrasting people saying Nintendo is playing it safe w/r/t unique characters but then you have just absolutely bonkers scenarios that a safe game probably wouldn't explore. Really happy I played it.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh god. Okay. At first it was cute and really fucking neat and a great way to introduce something new to the gameplay, but now I'm spending WAY too much time going around in circles in
the open ocean trying to figure out this pink streamer thing. I have a diamond key, and found the tower, but the tower needs some circle things, and supposedly there's ELEVEN islands, but I only found fucking nine and can't seem to find anything else...

WTF?!

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god. Okay. At first it was cute and really fucking neat and a great way to introduce something new to the gameplay, but now I'm spending WAY too much time going around in circles in
the open ocean trying to figure out this pink streamer thing. I have a diamond key, and found the tower, but the tower needs some circle things, and supposedly there's ELEVEN islands, but I only found fucking nine and can't seem to find anything else...

WTF?!
Check that statues on the card suit islands.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Haha, I got the Quiz Show trophy!

I resorted to taking videos on my phone so I could go through the harder ones frame by frame, but it was still stressful lol

BobLablow

Apr 18, 2018
Forgot I still had part of an Amazon gift card I hadn't used from Christmas, so I couldn't resist the temptation anymore, so bought this. Received it today and put about 3 hours in so far. Love the battles (I love puzzles so it's up my alley) and the soundtrack is maybe the best Nintendo soundtrack in awhile. Cat wait to play some more.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017

WTF?!
Double hint:

The Notes Livia takes should tell you where the island is. You probably won't see it, but don't forget you can dive.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
I wonder if all the Toads work like this, or if some of them are just pretending to fold up properly?

That would be a lot of work to have every Toad in the game fold properly into actual origami
If you frame by frame the moment it unfolds in the game clip (period and common on youtube vid) you can see that it just switches the model from the origami to the same canned animation of a told unfolding. clearly it would be way too much work to have unique animations for every unfolding told, but them doing these "irl" for marketing is pretty cool.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I finished the game today. I might write more about my thoughts on the game as a whole, but that'll be another time. One thing I will say is that the reward for every chapter completion was incredibly lame. In TTYD you got new, unique special moves. In TOK you get...more confetti? And I honestly don't think I noticed the increased capacity.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if all the Toads work like this, or if some of them are just pretending to fold up properly?

That would be a lot of work to have every Toad in the game fold properly into actual origami
Looking at some of the concept art I bet most of them, barring the most extreme ones like the monkey which just don't make sense due to the size of the Toad, are feasible. They figured out how to make every part of the little stove in the cabin in the woods out of believable pieces of paper, so if they were willing to do that for such a minor detail that's only used once in the game, surely they were applying a similar level of accuracy to the dozens of toads. Though of course I'm sure the unfolding animations are relatively canned and not accurate to actually unfolding them.

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
I beat the game earlier. The 1st and 3rd phase of the final boss were a bit tricker than the second phase for me and they took awhile for me to figure out. I will try to go for 100% next but I expect that river and that quiz show to drive me crazy. Last few bosses in the game were pretty easy.

Last edited:

Zookfoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game, I thought it was pretty good. I would have liked to see the badge system flushed out more, and make weapon variety more of a thing (i.e. more than just ice/fire themed weapons), but overall I had a great time. I may or may not end up going for 100%

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah I forgot to mention how utterly creepy and bizarre that one section is the green streamer was. Those who've played it know what I'm talking about.

I was playing it in bed half asleep and for a few minutes I was pretty sure I had fallen asleep and was having a very trippy nightmare.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Made it to Autumn Mountain. My thoughts so far:

1. I loathe the main combat system so far. Took no time at all for me to start actively avoiding fights whenever possible.

2. Boss fights are alright I guess, not really in love with them so far though, but I hear it gets better past the red streamer?

3. The only stuff I can come across being random Toads and collectibles is quite the bummer.

4. The track playing at Autumn Mountain is extremely good.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So I'm at the... guess I'll just spoiler this part now.
The desert part. The boot is cool. The oasis city is cool. The dialog continues to be great. And I'm enjoing looking for secrets and collectibles. It really feels like a Zelda game at times. Also, I have far too much money and nothing to spend it on by this point in the game.
The Fire Vellumental was quite a bit trickier than the previous Vellumental boss, I thought. It took me about 3 tries because you have to do the fight in a very specific way.
Also, hidden block bell is the most essential. I finally went back and found those 2 incredibly unobvious hidden blocks in the first area and the first Vellumental area. The two in that pushing block area... what were they thinking?
Made it to Autumn Mountain. My thoughts so far:

1. I loathe the main combat system so far. Took no time at all for me to start actively avoiding fights whenever possible.

2. Boss fights are alright I guess, not really in love with them so far though, but I hear it gets better past the red streamer?

3. The only stuff I can come across being random Toads and collectibles is quite the bummer.

4. The track playing at Autumn Mountain is extremely good.
No, don't hate the combat yet. I think after you beat the first boss in the mountain is when the combat should finally click. You begin to see the patterns and common solutions. Yeah, it's still better to not fight if you don't have to, especially later on, but it's still an essential skill that should be getting refined the more you play. Remember if you do a crowd cheer that's at least 100 coins, they'll solve the first move for you, so it's a useful handicap at the start that should help you see solutions better.
Boss fights can be a bit of a power trip. Try doing them again in the battle lab VR thingy. I realized I beat the Colored Pencils boss not as efficiently as I could have because there were more gimmicks to take advantage of.

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
Finally finished the game today.

I really enjoyed it, the story, world, writing ... a step up from previous entries (never played TYOD though).
I also loved the action and platform segments (
Paper Macho enemies, Blooper Boss, Paper Craft shooting, peach Castle, ...
), wish there were more of them.

BUT there are a few things that really bothered me.
The combat imho is terrible. Lining up the enemies gets very repetitive fast and there were alot of times where I didn't see the solution (but that's probably just me). I also evaded as much enemies as possible, because what's the point of battling. You get enough coins in the overworld and in the mandatory battles anyways. The animations at the start of each battle take too long too, it becomes a drag.

Boss battles were great but I hated the hint envelope which basically tells you how to defeat the boss. It takes away the joy of finding the weak spot or tactic that is needed to defeat the boss. After the first two bosses, I just looked away whenever I walked by one (in most cases, you can't avoid them too in the ring).

And lastly, I'm disappointed that you need a perfect score in the
game show
to achieve 100% including the secret ending.
I'm not even going to try because I know it will be frustrating as hell.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm a fair bit past this part now but is there a general consensus that the Fire Vellumental is the most punishing boss in the history of this series? Since defeating it, I haven't seen another boss in the two chapters since that comes close to the level of trial and error associated with it. The timing for when to use 1000 Arms is vague and whiffing the final move results in the boss regenerating 😾.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Finally finished the game today.

I really enjoyed it, the story, world, writing ... a step up from previous entries (never played TYOD though).
I also loved the action and platform segments (
Paper Macho enemies, Blooper Boss, Paper Craft shooting, peach Castle, ...
), wish there were more of them.

BUT there are a few things that really bothered me.
The combat imho is terrible. Lining up the enemies gets very repetitive fast and there were alot of times where I didn't see the solution (but that's probably just me). I also evaded as much enemies as possible, because what's the point of battling. You get enough coins in the overworld and in the mandatory battles anyways. The animations at the start of each battle take too long too, it becomes a drag.

Boss battles were great but I hated the hint envelope which basically tells you how to defeat the boss. It takes away the joy of finding the weak spot or tactic that is needed to defeat the boss. After the first two bosses, I just looked away whenever I walked by one (in most cases, you can't avoid them too in the ring).

And lastly, I'm disappointed that you need a perfect score in the
game show
to achieve 100% including the secret ending.
I'm not even going to try because I know it will be frustrating as hell.
I knew it. A pointless battle system in a Paper Mario game is a crime against video game culture.. 😔

Starvald

Mar 24, 2020
This is my first Paper Mario, I really enjoyed this game. My favourite bits were the exploration, set pieces, situations, and the different gameplay segments.
I think battling was fine, I usually averse to JRPGs battle as they bore me so quick and it happened here too but some segments are so light on battles that its fine.
By the green streamer onwards I think the game becomes a bit weaker. It's just almost battle after battle.
The Shangri Spa area is a bit smaller without much to do/explore and you get into more mandatory fights and less set pieces like the stuff you had in the Shogun Studios.

I also enjoyed collecting toads and was bit disappointed to find out that the last areas were barren of them.

Overall I would rank the streamers:

1.Blue Streamer (Shogun)

2.Purple Streamer (Great Sea)

3.Red Streamer (Picnic Mountain)

4.Yellow Streamer (Desert)

5.Green Streamer (Shangri-Spa)

Feb 8, 2020
After getting to 100%, I can say that I enjoyed this game a lot. I adored a lot of the areas with my favorite probably being the purple streamer. Blue is pretty close, though. The writing was great, and I feel this game could lay a good foundation for future Paper Mario games if they continue.

I loved the battle system and having to figure out the correct lineup. It's a huge step up from Color Splash, where the battle system was my biggest problem with the game. Because of that, I'd say I like this one even more than Color Splash, though I honestly feel that I like some of the areas in Color Splash more. It's been nearly four years at this point, though, so who knows what I may be forgetting that I did/didn't like.

This is certainly a game I'd return to if I decided to go through the Paper Mario games again. This doesn't outdo the likes of Super or TTYD for me. Probably not 64 either. I still love so much about this game, though.

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
Well that was quite the finale, and now I shoot for 100%. Lovely, lovely game. Choked up twice, you rarely expect that to happen once in a Mario title.

Personal ranking after replaying all (but Sticker Star):

1. Paper Mario
2. The Origami King
3. The Thousand Year Door
4. Color Splash
5. Super
6. Sticker Star

Series' future seems pretty bright in my eyes.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
After getting to 100%, I can say that I enjoyed this game a lot. I adored a lot of the areas with my favorite probably being the purple streamer. Blue is pretty close, though. The writing was great, and I feel this game could lay a good foundation for future Paper Mario games if they continue.

I loved the battle system and having to figure out the correct lineup. It's a huge step up from Color Splash, where the battle system was my biggest problem with the game. Because of that, I'd say I like this one even more than Color Splash, though I honestly feel that I like some of the areas in Color Splash more. It's been nearly four years at this point, though, so who knows what I may be forgetting that I did/didn't like.

This is certainly a game I'd return to if I decided to go through the Paper Mario games again. This doesn't outdo the likes of Super or TTYD for me. Probably not 64 either. I still love so much about this game, though.

I think Colour Splash still deserves some credit for unique locations, yeah, I'm not sure this game had something quite as out of nowhere as the inside-the-video-game section and the whole runaway train and circus sections were super fresh.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well that was quite the finale, and now I shoot for 100%. Lovely, lovely game. Choked up twice, you rarely expect that to happen once in a Mario title.

1. Paper Mario
2. The Origami King
4. Color Splash
5. Super
6. Sticker Star

Probably my own ranking too, even though I haven't played SS and CS yet.

Brainiac 8

Oct 27, 2017

1. Paper Mario
2. The Origami King
4. Color Splash
5. Super
6. Sticker Star

I am in love with Origami King and it is now my favorite of the series:

1. Origami King
2.The Thousand Year Door
3. Color Splash
4. Paper Mario
5. Super
6. Sticker Star

Color Splash had an annoying battle gimmick with the touch controls, but the writing was so good that it beat out the original for me.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
All Toads collected. No desire to do some of the stuff to get all the trophies so I think my time with the game is done, a little over 30 hours. Absolutely loved it.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Finished the game earlier. Loved the writing, world and story, but I still couldn't get past the idea that it would have been SO much better with diverse characters, and I never really got over fighting office utensils as the bad guys.

It's weird, because the Legion of Stationary and their individual reign over certain parts of the Mario world and their extremely unique personalities all reminded me a lot of Super Mario RPG's Smithy Gang, except the major difference is that the LoS were all generic office supplies and the Smithy Gang were all uniquely designed characters. I would have much preferred if we got the same personalities with "real" bad guys instead of, like, tape and colored pencils. Even if they just had legs and arms and eyes! Like a scissor-man and not a pair of scissors!

The scissors were my favorite. Legitimately cool character, personality wise.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FInished it yesterday and absolutely loved it. I don't mind if they make more like that, and adds new ideas to the combat system to make the normal ones more interesting over the course of the game (boss fights were great).
Before this one I only played Paper Mario 64, but also Super Mario RPG, Superstar Saga and Partners in Time. PM64 remains my favorite but Origami King comes second I think. Not sure, but in the top three at least. The ending really made me emotional. I'm just bummed I didn't get the secret ending even though I spent time gettin 100% of stuff everywhere, and the only things I don't have are the trophies for the river minigame and the quizz marathon... Just not interested in those. From what I've read the secret ending is neat but really short, so it should have been awarded for completing the museum except the trophies imo, and give maybe another little bonus for doing that like alternate costume for Mario and Olivia, I don't know.

Anyway, since I wanted more Paper Mario I've started TTYD today! On Dolphin with HD texture patch and Widescreen hack, this looks just as beautiful as a modern game (I know it still looks great even without all this fluff :)
I'm pleasantly surprised that playing TTYD now doesn't change my feelings towards TOK. The fact that TOK still oozes so much charm and personality despite the character designs restrictions is a testament to the art team's talent and the creativity of the writers.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just in case anyone missed it, Tetris 99 is doing a Paper Mario event, which is live now

DoctorDake

Development Director
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Finished the game tonight....overall I really enjoyed it! The combat was repetitive but forgiving enough that nothing really mattered, so it didn't annoy or frustrate me. Since coins were never really an issue either it was easy enough to just pay the Toads to solve puzzles for me if I couldn't wrap my head around a configuration.

Loved the final battles and the ending was cute. I'm tempted to get 100% but got too many other things to try out. Overall better than I expected though!

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus fucking christ i cant beat the water vallumental, im not great at puzzle games so im having a really tough time with these harder fights

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game. What a ride. I honestly really had fun with the game, felt a bit sad when it ended due to how much I was enjoying this game's charm.

By the way, for anyone playing, I ended the game with over 80k coins with all accessories and extra stuff purchased, so don't feel bad about getting some help from toads if you think you need it.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
So I'm pretty sure no one else is enough of a dumbass like I am, but turn off the motion controls, or else you'll send your system flying like I did when i was trying to use my thousand fold arm during a boss fight while my controller was plugged in and charging lol.

Jesus fucking christ i cant beat the water vallumental, im not great at puzzle games so im having a really tough time with these harder fights
I think this is the hardest boss in the game so far (I'm three chapters done). Just power through it, and play conservatively

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. The Water Velleumental was super frustrating. Took me the ENTIRE battle to realize how to use the "Go" panels properly, but by then it didn't matter. I just raged through it, wondering "why are you putting the Go panels in a place where I can't activate them and use them in the same turn???" When I figured it out, I thought it was pretty clever. But man, when a key attack is seemingly unavailable because of what appears to be bad RNG placement...? It was not pretty.

But, that water sure is pretty though.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just got a massive spoiler from the comments section of a Lego Mario review...

Would people say the game's story is still worth experiencing even if you know about
Bobby's sacrifice
?

Thanks in advance :)