• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jedi79

Oct 27, 2017
I don't appreciate all the good impressions I'm reading from you guys. I'm trying to go through Ghost ( which I'm loving but still )

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's like a Best of Mario: The Meme Show, and I honestly never laughed this much with a Nintendo game in a long time. Maybe I'm just too easy lol but it really works for me.

The graphics and music are top notch as well, that helps.

Luckily, wasn't dissappointed in no XP battles since ERA covered it a long time ago heh. I just play the battles for a fun little mind game.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if the training lab (somehow this game manages to make you laugh with music there too lol) has all possible stage formations you may encounter? There's a certain 8 enemy type I can never seem to line up with only 2 moves.

Shambles

Oct 25, 2017
I'm disappointed the battle lab isn't called Battletoads (unless they can't use it for copyright reasons)

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I defenitely would love to have a better progression system (even with no XP you can do much more) and for chests to offer more useful rewards, but otherwise I am having a great time and the game is the best in the series since The Thousand Year Door.

Was coming with tempered expectations but I am having a good time with it.

psp12345

Oct 27, 2017
This game looks fun but I've heard that the boss fights can be really frustrating.
I'm looking for something simple and easy to play at the moment. Perhaps I should look for something else?

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
This game looks fun but I've heard that the boss fights can be really frustrating.
I'm looking for something simple and easy to play at the moment. Perhaps I should look for something else?
I've only struggled a good bit with one of 5 bosses so far. The game isn't always easy, but depending on the type of engagement you're looking for from a video game, I think it's worth it

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I started this with my 3.5 year old the other day, but we don't really let him watch many games so it is going to be incredibly slow going....so slow that last night I started a second save just for myself so I could just play the game at my own pace. lol.

My wife doesn't care about games at all but even she stopped and said, "oh wow, that actually is very pretty" - I'd tried showing her a video earlier and she didn't care enough to look at the screen. Then I read all the dialogue to my kid as I played and he was enthralled. My wife looked up multiple times to mock me for inserting jokes only to realize I was reading the actual dialogue. On our second round playing both my wife and mother-in-law were in the room and my mother-in-law was going to mock me too only for my wife to jump in, "no, no, that's actually what it is says in the game".

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean like the fax travel through the Sensor Lab, the museum warp pipes, and the other forms of travel like the railcar and the river boat? Seems like there's quite a few shortcuts around the world.
I mean from the map menu

i don't know I'm still on the red strand area but I wanted to go back to the wood area to get some forgotten things and it's so long to walk

Last edited:

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Diving back into this thread to feel some joy after that direct, lol.

This game is so damn great but I don't want it to end! I'm taking my sweet time with it and am glad there are plenty of collectibles / side activities to do.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm going to go to bat for the battle system (and even the boss battles which are frustrating in a GOOD way).

I think it'd be boring if the game didn't have battles. They are evenly spaced out, never unfair, and offer LOTS of help/tips/handicaps if you want to utilize your coins.

This has what is probably the best use of coins in a PM game since PM64. You are always given TONS of coins as a reward, and you can always choose to spend TONS of coins to help you in battle (or buy items). You are tasked with finding folded Toads throughout the world. The more you find, the more you get added to your "cheering section" in battles. Then you can "make it rain" and shower your Toads with coins, paying them to aid you in battle. This is huge for me because it helps you with one of the more challenging aspects of the boss fights. You can also pay to add to your battle timer with coins.

The game is truly inventive in how it gives you reasons to want to experiment with the battle system and solve the puzzles they throw at you. I think they're fun and engaging and give you lots of ways to interact with the systems and get help when you need it. The boss battles are only frustrating if you don't like experimenting with different approaches and trying out ways to exploit their weaknesses. Some of the things I ended up doing had me saying "Oh, clever!" out loud.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to go to bat for the battle system (and even the boss battles which are frustrating in a GOOD way).

I think it'd be boring if the game didn't have battles. They are evenly spaced out, never unfair, and offer LOTS of help/tips/handicaps if you want to utilize your coins.

This has what is probably the best use of coins in a PM game since PM64. You are always given TONS of coins as a reward, and you can always choose to spend TONS of coins to help you in battle (or buy items). You are tasked with finding folded Toads throughout the world. The more you find, the more you get added to your "cheering section" in battles. Then you can "make it rain" and shower your Toads with coins, paying them to aid you in battle. This is huge for me because it helps you with one of the more challenging aspects of the boss fights. You can also pay to add to your battle timer with coins.

The game is truly inventive in how it gives you reasons to want to experiment with the battle system and solve the puzzles they throw at you. I think they're fun and engaging and give you lots of ways to interact with the systems and get help when you need it. The boss battles are only frustrating if you don't like experimenting with different approaches and trying out ways to exploit their weaknesses. Some of the things I ended up doing had me saying "Oh, clever!" out loud.
I'm still very early on, but I like how you defeat enemies and they don't seem to reappear. Is this consistent throughout? It certainly makes the whole "battles are boring" a little different since it's not like other RPGs where you have to keep getting sucked into the same battles for retreading an area.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago

I fully agree with you. I think the true genius of this system is that it allows the different systems to support one another. I don't think a traditional XP/leveling system would have fit the tone/structure of the game. Plus, things like hunting for toads and exploring can act to strengthen you (via increased crowds, HP up, etc), and battles give you cash to buy accessories too.

I'm still early, so maybe this all shits the bed and I'll get to a point where I'm swimming in excess once again. But, as of now I say it's a very smart design that keeps variety up and has me more engaged than a typical RPG might have.

I'm still very early on, but I like how you defeat enemies and they don't seem to reappear. Is this consistent throughout? It certainly makes the whole "battles are boring" a little different since it's not like other RPGs where you have to keep getting sucked into the same battles for retreading an area.

I thought this was the case, but after completing the Earth Temple enemies definitely respawned for me. Can anyone further in clear up if that was just due to the map "changing" since the temple was cleared? Or do enemies respawn when you leave an area?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I fully agree with you. I think the true genius of this system is that it allows the different systems to support one another. I don't think a traditional XP/leveling system would have fit the tone/structure of the game. Plus, things like hunting for toads and exploring can act to strengthen you (via increased crowds, HP up, etc), and battles give you cash to buy accessories too.

I'm still early, so maybe this all shits the bed and I'll get to a point where I'm swimming in excess once again. But, as of now I say it's a very smart design that keeps variety up and has me more engaged than a typical RPG might have.

I thought this was the case, but after completing the Earth Temple enemies definitely respawned for me. Can anyone further in clear up if that was just due to the map "changing" since the temple was cleared? Or do enemies respawn when you leave an area?
I definitely left the sewer and came right back to get a missing hole and all the enemies were still gone. Maybe I needed to wait X amount of time or go to two screens or something, but is anybody later in the game able to chime in?

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
As you get stronger you can 1-hit kill enemies while exploring by jumping or hammering them, instead of going into the turn based battle screen.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
So then they do reappear but you get stronger weapons to optionally ignore them?
Mario's innate strength is tied to his HP, so as you get permanent increases to that he'll be able to destroy weaker enemies with overworld attacks.

You do get weapons but those are consumable and don't factor into anything outside of battles.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Mario's innate strength is tied to his HP, so as you get permanent increases to that he'll be able to destroy weaker enemies with overworld attacks.

You do get weapons but those are consumable and don't factor into anything outside of battles.
Ok, but my original question was about clearing an area of enemies and then whether or not they return later or if once you've fought them they're gone.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Is the toad at the Shogun Studios entrance after blue streamer an Eric Andre meme?? Lmao

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

When you revisit a previous area they respawn, but as you get more powerful they become a non-issue because you can just jump/hammer on them and they instantly burst into a coin/confetti without going into an active battle.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
Im so stupid. I just now on the fire boss finally realized you can slide the track as well as rotate. I dont know why i didnt think of it as its pretty obviously a mechanic in hindsight but yeah im stupid.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
This game gives me so much anxiety in the battles lol. Patrick Kelpek wrote a good piece about how is brain doesn't operate the way the battle system wants it to, and I'm feeling the same way: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/jgxdyy/paper-mario-the-origami-king-has-exposed-my-broken-brain (I'm sure this was already shared in this thread).

Interestingly enough, the Chu Chu Rocket style boss battles come much more naturally to me. But I find myself totally flubbing the regular battles all the time.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I've reached the point now where during pretty much every regular battle, I'll get the Toads to show me the first move. It makes the battling a lot more tolerable and less mind boggling. (Unless some of them are blatantly obvious)

I'm not even ashamed to do so because I have so many coins!

GoGoDezmo

Nov 8, 2019
If you're having trouble figuring out the ring puzzles during regular enemy encounters, then I strongly suggest visiting the Battle Lab in Toad Town. Not only will you get an accessory that'll show you were the enemies are supposed to end up, but you can practice the puzzles using the arcade machine there in a safe, no risk environment. The puzzles really started to click in place once I got some practice in, let me tell ya.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
On the 5th Streamer area now. The ninja's (same as blue streamer) fights here are wracking my brain! It's only a 3 move but I can not wrap my head around it, i took a screenshot for further analysis and still a mystery. The toads will solve two parts of the puzzle for you at 500 coins and you don't get the solve puzzle bonus coin when you do the rest. Has anyone spend enough to know how much for them to do all 3 moves, is it possible?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, but my original question was about clearing an area of enemies and then whether or not they return later or if once you've fought them they're gone.

As long as you stay in the "main area" they won't return. However later on there will be certain enemies you can't kill (but these are like Dry Bones which have always done this" and they are usually spread so far out that you can ignore them. If you stay on the same screen, they won't respawn. In addition, many areas lose their enemies in later events.

Honestly I have not had a problem with any of the enemies and I've been going for 100%. If there is an enemy, it usually means there is a secret near them or as a response to you finding a secret. Enemies are obstacles and hints and as such I don't have a problem with them.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
So I just started the game last night. Olivia is definitely annoying, but so far that is my complaint. I haven't gotten tired of the battles yet.

The collectibles will trap me into this game. Also the urge to get 100% in every area, which screw the devs for putting in the pause menu. Really making sure I don't drop this game now lmao.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
If you're having trouble figuring out the ring puzzles during regular enemy encounters, then I strongly suggest visiting the Battle Lab in Toad Town. Not only will you get an accessory that'll show you were the enemies are supposed to end up, but you can practice the puzzles using the arcade machine there in a safe, no risk environment. The puzzles really started to click in place once I got some practice in, let me tell ya.
Will definitely do this tonight. Thanks for the suggestion. When I first encountered the lab I was breezing through battles, then I hit the blue streamer world and oof..

I respect the decision and actually am enjoying the battles, but it's still bizarre to me that Nintendo went this route. For those that have completed the game, is there ever any in-game explanation as to why battles are organized this way?

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
The intro suffers thanks to Olivia hopping in every couple minutes to explain something... But once that slows down, damn. This game is a banger. I went in super cautious thanks to the discourse on the internet leading up to release, and I'm so happy I bit the bullet on buying this. Paper Mario is back!

(Yes, battles are the weakest part. I don't love em but I don't hate em. I guess I never felt too strongly about the combat in the older games either though. Paper Mario's always been about the wacky charm for me, and this delivers big time.)

julian

Oct 27, 2017
As long as you stay in the "main area" they won't return. However later on there will be certain enemies you can't kill (but these are like Dry Bones which have always done this" and they are usually spread so far out that you can ignore them. If you stay on the same screen, they won't respawn. In addition, many areas lose their enemies in later events.

Honestly I have not had a problem with any of the enemies and I've been going for 100%. If there is an enemy, it usually means there is a secret near them or as a response to you finding a secret. Enemies are obstacles and hints and as such I don't have a problem with them.
I don't dislike the battles I just think they're the least entertaining part for my kid cause they're too advanced and the timer makes it tough for him to contribute. Somebody earlier mentioned pressing X to pause the battle so I might try that out and see if he gets it.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Is it just me or does the game feel...Japanese inspired? Like yes it's made by a Japanese company but the locations and temples give off a Shinto vibe, even before reaching to the Ninja town.

It's a thing with Mario games recently though, not just loose cultural references anymore but there being more japanese themed stuff, it sort of began in 3D World.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't dislike the battles I just think they're the least entertaining part for my kid cause they're too advanced and the timer makes it tough for him to contribute. Somebody earlier mentioned pressing X to pause the battle so I might try that out and see if he gets it.

You can also try the battle lab. If you can master the courses there it can help for later battles.

If it also helps it seems to further you go into the game the less turned based enemies appear. Those enemies seem to only pop up when hunting for secrets and most can be avoided. I just finished the 3rd Vellumental Temple and I think there are only 5 grand total of traditional turn based battles in that game and all are easy to avoid if you don't want to fight them and only one is necessarily mandatory if you want to go for 100%. Instead the later you go the more often it appears you fight battle in the overworld instead.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
So what's the consensus on using the Puzzle Solver? Is it cheating? Does it become necessary?
It's a crutch of sorts for sure, but it doesn't really change how you solve the puzzles, just shows you what the end goal is.

Never necessary, but if you're really having trouble figuring out what to do in the standard battles it's one more tool to help.

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
I heard people say coins are more than plenty, and now I can't afford trinkets at the Oasis
I don't even use coins in battle or puzzels lol.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
So then they do reappear but you get stronger weapons to optionally ignore them?
I don't know for sure about the respawn. Sometimes the area stays clear, other times I see them again. As you increase your hearts you will be able to hit or jump on an enemy and kill them in one hit. But if they touch you or charge you and you don't get off a hit then it's a regular battle screen fight.

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
I've been taking it slowly and steadily. I think I'm nearing the end of the first "world." Having a lot of fun so far. The worries over the battle system were overblown, at least for me.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Was in the middle of Color Splash, disc stopped working, told Gamefly to send me another copy and they're sending Origami King instead.

MZfjsYN.gif

Alright, that works.

Apr 9, 2019
Any Dutch people in here that can comment on the Dutch translation? Would mainly play this with my kid and would love to

1. not have to translate English on-the-fly myself, and
2. not have the feeling I'm missing out on quality writing because of a mediocre translation =) .

A good translation seems to be especially crucial for a game like this!

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
3rd streamer taken care of. Once again, it was a good combination of being hard, but figuring out what I was suppose to do & being able to execute it.

It's kind of amazing how much better it is when you battle the things as bosses compared to using the things to battle bosses.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
I'm finally stuck for the first time in this game during the Yellow Streamer dungeon, I could use some advice as I'm too stubborn to directly look up a walkthrough, lol:

I can't figure out what to do next in the Shroom Ruins dungeon, specifically in the room with the columns and rows of coffins. Those scratch marks are on the floor to the right, and I clearly see that there's a new room beyond the wall as well as a conspicuous-looking blank square on the floor where a ? block would normally be. However, I've tried hammering and jumping to no avail, and I can't push the coffins because Mario isn't strong enough. Any vague hints would be greatly appreciated, but a direct answer is fine too

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Few updated impressions:
  • The boss battles are delightful; really having fun with those
  • The game does such a great job of incentivizing exploration. The whole world is full of little nooks and crannies, and things that seem out of place, and interacting with it all is always a delight and well rewarded. It's a lot like BOTW/SMO/LM3 on that front
  • The story is actually surprisingly intriguing
I really hope people jilted over the new direction can bring themselves to give this a chance, it's not TTYD, but it's really very good in a different way.