• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Starvald

Mar 24, 2020
I think I just got spoiled by the moment everyone is talking about. I just went to YouTube to look up for paper reviews, I searched for "Paper Mario" and the second video in the list (Profasia Gaming channel) literally spoils that one moment in the title.

Tan

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a good balance in the puzzle parts and the "enjoy your reward" part of choosing attacks. How are you getting punished? Keep a few POW blocks and flowers for when you're in a pinch and mess up your line ups. Don't forget it's a family game for all ages so it's prob why they didn't go hardcore turn-based system.
After never getting hit for like the first 2 hours of the game, I couldn't figure out how to line up the enemies in time and took 40 damage. Like, I'd actually describe the game as extremely difficult because it feels like it's wanting me to play perfectly. That being said I have 20k coins so I could buy mushrooms and "solve" the difficulty that way, but it just feels like I'm buying band-aids to survive a very punishing game.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
After never getting hit for like the first 2 hours of the game, I couldn't figure out how to line up the enemies in time and took 40 damage. Like, I'd actually describe the game as extremely difficult because it feels like it's wanting me to play perfectly. That being said I have 20k coins so I could buy mushrooms and "solve" the difficulty that way, but it just feels like I'm buying band-aids to survive a very punishing game.
I recommend bribing Toads, they rearrange the puzzles to make them easier.

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
I think I just got spoiled by the moment everyone is talking about. I just went to YouTube to look up for paper reviews, I searched for "Paper Mario" and the second video in the list (Profasia Gaming channel) literally spoils that one moment in the title.
Ugh, seriously can't stand Prosafia and his bs. If you have Chrome or Firefox, I'd recommend getting the Video Blocker extension. It lets you block entire channels from appearing in your feed.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if there are other switch games that does this but this is the first Switch game I played that actually goes into the game before having you select your user account.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
Screw that, that's so awful. I'm sorry if you did indeed have that big moment spoiled.
I don't know if there are other switch games that does this but this is the first Switch game I played that actually goes into the game before having you select your user account.
Ring Fit Adventure does the same, and I think Luigi's Mansion 3 might have as well! But yeah it's always an interesting distinction

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm honestly regretting not getting this alongside Tsushima. Sounds like it very much covers the areas that game falters in, with this being focused more on story and fun than Tsushima's focus on gameplay and combat.

Amazon's still doing the Origami sheets with it so, hey, might as well pick it up. At least before I get spoiled.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly feel like the show puzzle solutions should have been available from the start. I just got to the Shogun Studios and it's not like the items tells you how to slide the rings, just what the final formation should be. I almost never use accessibility options but I might keep this one on.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im 3h in. It's really a so-so game with a Nintendo quality painting over it that make it better than the game itself. Graphics and mood is superb. But sometimes it's a bit boring

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
This is my first Paper Mario game I've ever played and I'm loving it so far. The battle system, music and overall lighthearted tone are a joy. Now I want to go back and play the older titles hope they get ported.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I honestly feel like the show puzzle solutions should have been available from the start. I just got to the Shogun Studios and it's not like the items tells you how to slide the rings, just what the final formation should be. I almost never use accessibility options but I might keep this one on.

Agreed. Before clearing the first stream, the enemies are already lined up but then they jump around the board. And then they stopped that in the second streamer for some reason lol.

Does anyone know the point in giving toad's more than 100 coins? At 100 they solve the first ring puzzle or show the path you'll take in boss battles. Anything over 100 doesn't seem as significant.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Agreed. Before clearing the first stream, the enemies are already lined up but then they jump around the board. And then they stopped that in the second streamer for some reason lol.

Does anyone know the point in giving toad's more than 100 coins? At 100 they solve the first ring puzzle or show the path you'll take in boss battles. Anything over 100 doesn't seem as significant.
They'll heal you more and do more damage to enemies if you pay them more.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Hitting the enemies on the world map seems so pointless if you're going into battles. The initial damage is too low for any significance lol

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh....if it's not an RPG, how would you describe it?
At this point, it's a Paper Mario point and click adventure. You still have direct control over Mario and he handles like you'd expect in a Paper Mario game. But there is a lot of pixel hunting, a glut of environmental puzzles that have a bit of adventure game logic to them occasionally, and when the puzzle goes awry, the usual solution is to exhaustingly creep over the scene for any tiny detail and smash the shit out of everything with your hammer until something happens.

/It's actually pretty great so far and I'm getting a real nostalgic rush out of it.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
The writing is too real

EdRNB6aVAAEepcf

EdRNB6WVAAAw6JH

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Profasia is just the worst, he literally spoils everything 1 or 2 days before release and they love putting spoilers in the thumbnails

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I wasn't expecting more towns outside of Toad Town!

I loved how the area outside the earth temple came back to life after beating it.

Also, holy shit this toad tracker is always going off! And contrary to previous word in this thread, enemies unfortunately do respawn after you've cleared them out.

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know what the 100% reward is yet?

I'm having a blast swatting toads and filling in holes, but if you don't get anything significant for 100%'ing each area/the entire game, I'll probably spend more time focusing on the story.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Do we know what the 100% reward is yet?

I'm having a blast swatting toads and filling in holes, but if you don't get anything significant for 100%'ing each area/the entire game, I'll probably spend more time focusing on the story.

Hoping to not have it spoiled, but tbh Nintendo's 100% rewards tend to be jokes (eg BOTW) since at that point you've already seen all there is to do in the game.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
I hope the ost doesn't skip any tracks, I need them all. Guess this would be a spoiler? so just to be safe.
The tune that plays in the cafe when Goomba and Shy guy are chatting you up is just so relaxing. I've also dug pianos growing up so it's a perfect fit for the setting.

+Starting to feel like I was the only who played with these slide puzzles growing up. I did them over and over until I developed some method that worked for me, probably similar to this video but unknowingly at the time.

Last edited:

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Just wrapped my first stationary boss. Enjoyed the elemental one, but this was on a whole other level. Insanely fun and clever.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Spent entirely too much time figuring out the second puzzle for the water vellumental.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the % of players who turned the motion controls off is. There is even an IGN guide for turning them off asap lol

I was middle of chapter 1 before I gave in,

Watta92

Nov 8, 2019
Question! I haven't gotten the game yet but there are a lot of puns in the screenshots.

is that a localization only thing or does the japanese version does the same kind of thing?

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
It's in the boating part of the purple streamer area. When you first gain control outside of town just head left and then up. It's a giant square island.
Thanks! I'll have to check it out
I wonder what the % of players who turned the motion controls off is. There is even an IGN guide for turning them off asap lol

I was middle of chapter 1 before I gave in,
I find the motion controls non-invasive so I've actually kept them on except for when I play handheld

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Playing with the pro controller and I actually like the motion controls. Works really well so idk what the big deal is

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
GameStop online came through with the silly but appreciated preorder pins, hooray. Can't wait to start the game.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I enjoy the motion controls. 1000 Arm Fold is much more fun to control with them on.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Got a question about a reference.

I sensed that too, either that or something else about seperating art from the artist.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
In previous games Shogun Studios would have been it's own chapter like damn. This might be my favorite area in the series.

spunodi

Oct 27, 2017
Got a question about a reference.

I sensed that too, either that or something else about seperating art from the artist.

My immediate thoughts were Michael Jackson. It's a pretty broadly applicable reference that could probably get a lot of play in EtcetEra threads.