• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Played about an hour so far it seems very charming and I feel like the puzzle combat system has potential to be really satisfying it definitely feels more like a puzzle/adventure game than an RPG to me. But I have two very surface level complaints.

1.) The text often scrolls too slowly for my tastes especially when the princess is talking, and there doesn't seem to be a way to speed it up or skip the animation?
2.) Lots of dead silent times with no music or goofy noises, which feels really awkward and muted for a game that is as vibrant and nice looking as this. When the music is playing it is good, but it is quiet so often that it makes it feel like it's lacking some character.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Played about an hour so far it seems very charming and I feel like the puzzle combat system has potential to be really satisfying it definitely feels more like a puzzle/adventure game than an RPG to me. But I have two very surface level complaints.

1.) The text often scrolls too slowly for my tastes especially when the princess is talking, and there doesn't seem to be a way to speed it up or skip the animation?
2.) Lots of dead silent times with no music or goofy noises, which feels really awkward and muted for a game that is as vibrant and nice looking as this. When the music is playing it is good, but it is quiet so often that it makes it feel like it's lacking some character.
To 1
I had the same issue, you cannot even change it in the settings menu. I adapted to the speed though. But that is a valid complaint.
To 2
The beginning is really silent and there is not a lot of music going on. It changes later though. I am at the water temple and there is cheerful music playing along the way. I was asking myself in the beginning of I had sound on lol.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
Played a few hours, got to the blue ribbon area and stopped for tonight.

I'm enjoying my time to be fair, but I think the most annoying thing about the game is the sensation of wasted potential while playing.
- I miss the chapter structure. I feel like they could've kept it, and used the pause between chapters to show more of the villain, what luigi is doing, peach etc. As it is, the pacing is not great.
- the battle system per se is ok, although it's more fun when you mess up than when everything goes smoothly. I feel like this would have worked much better with party members, mps and spells to manipulate the board though..As it is, it is getting a bit repetitive...
- boss battles are cool, although there seems to only be one board for each phase? I ended up repeating the same strategy multiple times.
- music is pretty good and it's getting stuck in my head already
- the sense of progression, despite the lack of xp, is there. Wouldn't have minded this progression tied to story if the rest of the setup had more rpg elements.
- Man this game must have some of the worst collectables ever. Wtf are those trophies of signs, rocks and piles of leaves?
- Graphically, it is all Paper Mario should be and some. Environments are really great.
- I honestly wouldn't mind the issue with characters being standard Mario "races" if we got actual party members. Bobbie's intro cracked me up.
- writing is alright to great. Laughed out loud a couple times so far, some stuff made me grin, the rest is serviceable.

Can't help but feel this would have been a great game if they kept the basic setup from either ttyd or super, and just switched up the battle system as they've done here. The actual production is great, but I don't get why they keep on trying to hybridize a very light base of rpg elements with other stuff. It's also weird that the overarching story is so light, but then you get dialogue all the time. Like, make up your mind and either make an rpg or don't, IS 😅

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
To 1
I had the same issue, you cannot even change it in the settings menu. I adapted to the speed though. But that is a valid complaint.
To 2
The beginning is really silent and there is not a lot of music going on. It changes later though. I am at the water temple and there is cheerful music playing along the way. I was asking myself in the beginning of I had sound on lol.

Yeah #1 is annoying, but I'm sure I'll get used to it as I play. Good to hear that the music is more present as the game progresses, as I really like what little I'm hearing so far.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Yeah #1 is annoying, but I'm sure I'll get used to it as I play. Good to hear that the music is more present as the game progresses, as I really like what little I'm hearing so far.
I think there is no option to make the text faster because the characters all talk differently. I think it was the same in the TTYD? The music is pretty nice especially in the 2nd world. It has a Japanese sound touch.

brucekane

Apr 19, 2020
Someone on reddit posted a screenshot from a battle and I had quite the fun trying to solve the alignment puzzle on pen and paper alone.

I think I definitevely prefer puzzle battles than traditional menu battles if the puzzle is cool.

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
User warned: ableist slur
Please tell me Olivia isn't holding my hand the whole game? Only near the beginning and she won't shut up...
Why do they have to do that every single game? We're not retarded or babies.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Amazon delivered the game before I thought, so I have already started it. Visuals are amazing, and I am loving the humour (Bowser's humour is fantastic!).
About the battles, am I the only one who would love to invert the up/down when rotating a ring? In four battles, every time I moved the stick in the opposite direction I wanted.

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
i suck at the battles so far, but i
Amazon delivered the game before I thought, so I have already started it. Visuals are amazing, and I am loving the humour (Bowser's humour is fantastic!).
About the battles, am I the only one who would love to invert the up/down when rotating a ring? In four battles, every time I moved the stick in the opposite direction I wanted.
Yeah. I have done that multiple times while trying to rotate enemies into their proper position. I also have a tendency to overthink were I should rotate or slide enemies

Peekles

Jun 18, 2020
If my favourite Paper Mario game is Super Paper Mario, do people who have played it think I will enjoy this one?

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Played for about 3 hours tonight. So far, I love the aesthetic and the humor. So many genuinely funny lines. My biggest gripe so far is that Mario's movement speed is a little too slow. Combat seems to be all about quick puzzle solving and rhythm. Trying out the Battle Lab really helped me understand what the combat system is going for.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I love this game a lot. The level design is excellent and toads may be the best collectible ever. The reward being funny dialogue is a surprisingly effective motivator.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Please tell me Olivia isn't holding my hand the whole game? Only near the beginning and she won't shut up...
Why do they have to do that every single game? We're not retarded or babies.

The hand holding is sadly a typical thing with Nintendo and Mario games. I am at the 2nd temple and she still gives clues or help. So yeah maybe in World 4 she will stop giving hints.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really liking the game so far, just played about a hour and a half. Don't really like the origami setting, the pacing has been abysmal so far, I almost feel asleep twice while playing, the characters are really not that interesting so far (that can change tho, I'm still in the beginning). The combat is ok, not really a fan of the puzzle-solving, I vastly prefer the traditional RPG thing we got with 64 and TTYD but this is also fine, worried that it's just going to become a puzzle-solving game as battles get more complex later on.

About the world, there was a poster in another thread that really put my nitpicky thoughts into words. I liked alot more when the paper aspect of the game was something normal for the world, as in, these people are paper and don't really care since it's how the world has been forever like PM64 and TTYD, not something that they are aware and make jokes with in the last few games. The charm about it kinda goes away.

Will try giving it a couple more tries, but I'm not sure if it's for me.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about an hour and a half in. Really enjoying it so far. Great sense of humor and surprisingly dark. This will be a fun time.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
The hand holding is sadly a typical thing with Nintendo and Mario games. I am at the 2nd temple and she still gives clues or help. So yeah maybe in World 4 she will stop giving hints.
One thing I dislike is the obligatory comment she makes anytime you reach a new area.
"Hey look, a mountain! What's on top? Maybe we should go there"
Please let me be curious, it's not like kids need these type of help.
I'm enjoying the game anyway.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
One thing I dislike is the obligatory comment she makes anytime you reach a new area.
"Hey look, a mountain! What's on top? Maybe we should go there"
Please let me be curious, it's not like kids need these type of help.
I'm enjoying the game anyway.
Haha exactly. I felt the same. She does not need to comment everything especially when I am visiting this place anyway.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Bah, 3.5 hours until GS opens & I can grab my copy & the pins.

....actually, now that I think about it, this is the first game I'll be getting at launch while on a normal sleep schedule after like 5 years of 3rd shift & just waking up to either find the game at my door step or just head on over to GS since it'd be like 2 p.m.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Halfway through Chapter 2 and while there are some things I like, over all this just feels like a giant waste of potential.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
A couple hours in im enjoying it but the text moves to slow and so does Mario. The battle system seems fine i like exploring the world but i wish mario was faster the espresso speed should be a permanent run option. Music and visuals are great. I like it its nothing great but i like the writing and overall world of the game.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
If there's one issue they've never addressed is Mario's Speed. Still slower then I would like. Yoshi in TTYD was okay, but needing to switch or get off to do stuff got really annoying, just make him faster.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
If there's one issue they've never addressed is Mario's Speed. Still slower then I would like. Yoshi in TTYD was okay, but needing to switch or get off to do stuff got really annoying, just make him faster.
see we could do that

or we could make a run button unlockable around the midpoint of the game behind a challenge most players won't complete

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Why they never brought back the spin dash when it was super helpful in the first game, I'll never know.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't planning on getting this Day 1 but I saw some gameplay and it looks fun and charming. I may consider it.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I'm really enjoying this so far, love finding the Toads in the little areas and the soundtrack is a banger so far. The battles would be better if they didn't show you the solution first...

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
first game i bought this year lol, really enjoyed Color Splash's writing and creative level design.
even got the origami sheets

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
Does the game has any endgame challenge? Like a boss rush or something (like in Mario & Luigi Dream Team)