• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
As one of the veteran fans of the series, I'm excited to play this just for the light hearted moments, writing, characters and just the whole adventure.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
God I can't decide between this or ghosts. I've never played a paper Mario.
Has anyone said how long this one is?

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Quick tip: If you are using a wired controller, set the Motion Controls in the settings menu to off. Otherwise, you will not be able to use the 1000 arms mechanic.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Leave it to Paper Mario to have those smart and witty type of funny writing. Having a blast. Literally LOLing at the characters and dialogue.

The combat is a breath of fresh air, the floor panels that you can move adds a nice layer to the rest of the Paper Mario type action/turn based system. I did a few bosses and they were fun as heck, you have to use your head and work the floor system.

Loving the locations too. Very colourful and cleverly designed. I'm really impressed how IS is using the camera as part of gameplay and level design. Makes you pay keen attention to the angles used so you can navigate to hidden areas. And I was just able to sail on a boat out in the sea, kinda Wind Walker style!! So far loving it. Music also doesn't disappoint. And there's this really funny scene at a hidden cafe at one of the dungeons, jazz music and all.

oh yeah, great game to play with kids too!

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
There seems to be 12 different accesory slots so I can see that their simply replaced the experience/ level system with that form of progression. I don't have an issue with that tbh.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Thats great to hear. Kinda wish I'd went in more blind. Those Origami bosses would have been a nice surprise but its cool lol
Oh I'm in totally blind. I only watched the initial trailer. Oh man I came across this small grassy section (samurai themed with music and all) and it was so well done in the Paper Mario art. Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

Oct 31, 2017
Leave it to Paper Mario to have those smart and witty type of funny writing. Having a blast. Literally LOLing at the characters and dialogue.

The combat is a breath of fresh air, the floor panels that you can move adds a nice layer to the rest of the Paper Mario type action/turn based system. I did a few bosses and they were fun as heck, you have to use your head and work the floor system.

Loving the locations too. Very colourful and cleverly designed. I'm really impressed how IS is using the camera as part of gameplay and level design. Makes you pay keen attention to the angles used so you can navigate to hidden areas. And I was just able to sail on a boat out in the sea, kinda Wind Walker style!! So far loving it. Music also doesn't disappoint. And there's this really funny scene at a hidden cafe at one of the dungeons, jazz music and all.

oh yeah, great game to play with kids too!

awww happy to hear!!

honestly I took a closer look at the battle system footage and it seems really interesting/fun, even with a lack of progression-related rewards.

Seems like a genuinely great game.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
This still looks like a really fun game regardless of what it lacks compared to the earlier entries. Looking forward to trying it out eventually.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The charm is off the charts like from the very beginning.

Edit: Luigi so cheap

Last edited:

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I'm only less than 30 mins in so far, but loving the game. You really want to turn motion controls off if you are playing with controller, though. Also I keep pressing Y to open item screen when I want to attack with hammer. I hope I will be be able to change some controls later on.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Less than an hr already have 1800 coins lol.
At least we can spam confetti a bit quicker. Makes a nice sound too. You can keep whacking trees for an endless supply too so i dont see the point of having a bag not being infinite yet.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Just beat the first chapter.

I'm liking everything but the combat against regular enemies, which I think is already starting to get old.

With regards to the combat, it's getting old as I feel that most enemies aren't using the core concept of the ring in an interesting manner at all.

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
Just got passed the
dancing/singing tree segment
and I don't want to leave this area. This music is too good, what is this game so far lol?!

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
i gotta say this game has thoroughly charmed the pants off me already

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm really enjoying this game.

I love the OT and the title too, great work. If I could only add one thing to the title lol
Paper Mario: The Origami King |OT| The Origami Thriller : A David Page Game

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
OST is amazing
writing is fun
good graphics, boring villain set up
confetti is whatever and the game designer in me says bad mechanic,
disbaled motion controls before I even met Bowser (phew),
& I already never want to do another battle if I had the choice

....so basically exactly what I expected lol

SpookyTango

Mar 1, 2020
Played about three hours so far and I'm really enjoying it.

It's not until I got to the sewer area that you get a sense of what the combat is really going for- fast paced puzzle solving. The mixing and matching of enemy types within a single battle was cool and the way the enemies come in waves works with the quick pace. Fighting just the goombas early on is overly simple, but at the same time, they're goombas, so it makes thematic sense that they don't put up much of a challenge.

You're not going to get satisfying RPG mechanics out of the combat, that's not what it's going for at all. Whether they can continue to introduce interesting enemy types and puzzle variations throughout, we'll see, but the little sewer segment showed a lot of potential, especially for someone like me who has never been a huge fan of turn-based combat.