• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Calling entire swaths of players entitled over the direction of a video game will never not be the shittiest take imaginable.
I obviously don't mean *all* fans, because I'm one of them. Just the familiar names who show up after every update, every video, every teaser, every leak, every launch -- just to complain about the same shit.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand it doesn't sound like what I want out of a Paper Mario game, particularly with the death of the M&L RPG series, but on the flip side this does sound more interesting than the last couple.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
I'm really excited for this! Looks super fun, and yet another new type of RPG battle system always enthralls me!

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
On one hand it doesn't sound like what I want out of a Paper Mario game, particularly with the death of the M&L RPG series, but on the flip side this does sound more interesting than the last couple.

I don't get why people say M&L is dead only because AlphaDream died, it isn't like anybody else couldn't do it if they wanted a new M&L game.

Jan 2, 2018
Man, the game looks truly great! I can't wait for my first experience with the Paper Mario series. Reading some reactions in this and other threads, it's probably good that I'll play this from the perspective of a new player and not one that really wants another TTYD.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I'm down for this. I've been made peace with this not being TTYD and I'm excited to jump into the world

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
Man... I wish I could get a candid answer from Tanabe on this followup question: "I get that you want to make new experiences, but what if they are just... not as good as the tried-and-true experiences?"

I find it really jarring that they keep trying to distance themselves from the original systems. I was watching a Japanese video about Paper Mario's history and Japanese players were commenting on how they would love a return to form. So... what's up with that balony "new and different things are better hurrr" crap...

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people say M&L is dead only because AlphaDream died, it isn't like anybody else couldn't do it if they wanted a new M&L game.
Well my thought is that if Nintendo really wanted to continue the series, they probably would have absorbed AlphaDream or bailed them out. Additionally we haven't had a new one in 5 years, and the last entry was a mashup with Paper Mario, so it kind of seems like series is at a dead end. Who is going to champion the series at Nintendo at this point?

I'm more inclined to think they would just revive the Super Mario RPG branding if they wanted to get back into making Mario RPGs. Who knows if that's the case now though, I wonder if they see their RPG portfolio as being fully served by Monolith.

Jan 2, 2018
This is exactly how I feel and probably should be looked at by folks. As big of a fan I was of the first 3 games - it's very clear they aren't doing anything ever game in the vein of the first 2. And the majority of people enjoying these games are okay with that, and that's who Nintendo is making the game for since Sticker Star.

How many times are you gonna go "Welp they aren't going back to classic paper mario.." before realizing this?

Yeah, it's like my stance with Final Fantasy. Square Enix isn't making entries in the vein of X anymore, so I need to move on with it, as sad as it is.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Well my thought is that if Nintendo really wanted to continue the series, they probably would have absorbed AlphaDream or bailed them out. Additionally we haven't had a new one in 5 years, and the last entry was a mashup with Paper Mario, so it kind of seems like series is at a dead end. Who is going to champion the series at Nintendo at this point?

I'm more inclined to think they would just revive the Super Mario RPG branding if they wanted to get back into making Mario RPGs. Who knows if that's the case now though, I wonder if they see their RPG portfolio as being fully served by Monolith.

There were two remakes, one came out last year. Not all-new series entries, but not a five-year absence like this post implies (and the Nintendo producer in an interview for the BIS remake certainly didn't act like they wanted nothing more to do with the series, at least at that juncture.) Frankly, there's a lack of curiosity about what happened to the developers from many enthusiasts, combined with a callous and presumptive celebration that the lack of a M&L series would somehow change the direction of Paper Mario games. To some, Nintendo's cruelty turned them out into the cold; to others, they possibly found work at other Nintendo/Nintendo-affiliated studios, neither position has a lot of research to go on.

And again, the M&L developers were many of the same creative forces from SMRPG, if Nintendo wanted a game with just the Mario RPG branding, they would have insisted upon it, as opposed to Mario & Luigi RPG, as the games are known in Japan.

Last edited:

Christo750

May 10, 2018
We're probably not getting a classic Paper Mario again, but at least this looks like an actual take on the series rather than the nonsense of Sticker Star and Color Splash. After reading those excerpts from Tanabe I'm really excited to try this out.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
So, this game is much more ambitious than the videos have shown. Nintendo marketing is flopping. This interview was more important to me than all those traillers.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok Paper Mario being open world does sound very interesting.

Problem is whether the non-mandatory battles matter or not.

He hasn't answered that yet. When do previews usually start trickling in?

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Yeah, we're never getting a classic Paper Mario game again.

pensive-face_1f614.png

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Having big maps to explore sounds amazing

So much better than Color Splash's linear, individual levels. I can't wait for this game

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
"When continuing a game series, it's much easier to carry over the basics from an existing game system rather than building new systems for each new installment," says Kensuke Tanabe, producer at Nintendo. "But that's not how you create new experiences or unexpected surprises. As a game designer, I want to deliver new experiences and surprises to our fans, so I always challenge myself to create something new. To be sure, I will sometimes use the same system in a subsequent game to further develop that system until I feel it has reached its full potential. But my goal is to continue to tackle new challenges as much as possible."

That's the key here. I miss the old Paper Mario formula, but to be honest, if every game in the series used that formula I would likely be bored with it by now. I'll take failed experimentation over sameness any day of the week.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's the key here. I miss the old Paper Mario formula, but to be honest, if every game in the series used that formula I would likely be bored with it by now. I'll take failed experimentation over sameness any day of the week.
Oh for sure. I think what stings the most is the fact that they never reached the peak of what the OG formula could do and the two most recent games just aren't good.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
Oh for sure. I think what stings the most is the fact that they never reached the peak of what the OG formula could do and the two most recent games just aren't good.

Look at the Mario & Luigi series as a case study in formulaic game design. Bowser's Inside Story is phenomenal, but it's been diminishing returns since then.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man... I wish I could get a candid answer from Tanabe on this followup question: "I get that you want to make new experiences, but what if they are just... not as good as the tried-and-true experiences?"

I find it really jarring that they keep trying to distance themselves from the original systems. I was watching a Japanese video about Paper Mario's history and Japanese players were commenting on how they would love a return to form. So... what's up with that balony "new and different things are better hurrr" crap...
That is what makes Nintendo Nintendo, though. They're always trying new things for new experiences. They say this all the time - and it's true. If they kept the same battle system and formula as the original, it would be terribly stale and old by now. Sure, you can keep on iterating on that battle system, but at one point you'll reach where it can go and will need to create something new.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017

Could be the publisher asking them to pitch something else, or the creators wanting to do something else, it could be any number of things really.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would've liked a "Paper Mario 3" as well, but I'm also glad they're taking risks and experimenting. The opposite extreme is what became of Mario & Luigi where the series got so stale and by the numbers that the games started blending together. I fell off hard on it with the games that came after Bowser's Inside Story.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Open world, huh? Does that mean you can do each "chapter" (i'm still calling them that for convenience, because the game itself numbers each area anyway) out of order, or is the level design just more open and connective? It's hard to tell based on the interview; they could just be calling it open world in comparison to the previous three games for all we know.

Last edited:

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
This game will easily sell 4 million or more, and be critically well received. The people who like the older Paper Mario games more will be a clear minority within the greater audience of this game. I have come to accept this fate and hope that one day that the older Mario RPGs will be playable on Switch at some point.

Oh well. I think it looks like a good game otherwise.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Showing Bobby in another location that seemingly isn't part of Autumn Mountain, Shogun Studios or the boat (where we've seen him before) only makes me want more answers on how exactly the partners work.

We've seen two of them in battle, and one using a field ability, but we don't really know the full extent of either aspect. The game supposedly being open world only makes me further question if partners stick around or just leave as certain descriptions indicate.

I just need this to come out already, lol; only two weeks away I guess!

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Showing Bobby in another location that seemingly isn't part of Autumn Mountain, Shogun Studios or the boat (where we've seen him before) only makes me want more answers on how exactly the partners work.

We've seen two of them in battle, and one using a field ability, but we don't really know the full extent of either aspect. The game supposedly being open world only makes me further question if partners stick around or just leave as certain descriptions indicate.

I just need this to come out already, lol; only two weeks away I guess!

My guess is the partner's stick to "their chapter" only, so if Mario leaves the autumn area Bobby won't come with him, but will be there if Mario goes back?

I'm also feeling like since they're temporary, they may be AI controlled in battle rather than players selecting commands for them.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
I hate SS and CS but I think I will dig this. It seems to go back to some mechanics and the battle system doesn't seem superfluous like the previous games. There's some elements lacking I would like to return but with the accessories, normal + degrading special weapons and partners (sort of) It's winning me over.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I would've liked a "Paper Mario 3" as well, but I'm also glad they're taking risks and experimenting. The opposite extreme is what became of Mario & Luigi where the series got so stale and by the numbers that the games started blending together. I fell off hard on it with the games that came after Bowser's Inside Story.
I thought Dream Team was very creative and had a beautiful new artstyle to go along with it, but it was severely bogged down pacing issues due to the seemingly endless stream of tutorials.

If it wasn't for that I'd legitimately rank it as high as BIS, but as it is now I can only put it above PiT and PJ.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
My guess is the partner's stick to "their chapter" only, so if Mario leaves the autumn area Bobby won't come with him, but will be there if Mario goes back?

I'm also feeling like since they're temporary, they may be AI controlled in battle rather than players selecting commands for them.
I really need to see how they handle this; because based on everything we've seen, it almost feels like it would've been easier to just have them permanently "join" Mario's party, but only have them come out in the overworld in their specific areas, or for story events. Then in battles, they'd only appear in the ring when Mario specifically selects one of their moves.

That still isn't what I personally want out of partners, but we'll see what they do here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Well it's been 16 years since the last Paper Mario in that style. Asking for a "back to basics" approach after several experimental titles with mixed reception isn't the same as a series growing stale. It's the fact that they won't even humor the notion that is so baffling to me.

OK looks good on paper (heh) but it will be frustrating to see disappointed people brushed aside as irrelevant when the game sells well, as if a more traditional game would have bombed or something.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Dream Team was very creative and had a beautiful new artstyle to go along with it, but it was severely bogged down pacing issues due to the seemingly endless stream of tutorials.

If it wasn't for that I'd legitimately rank it as high as BIS, but as it is now I can only put it above PiT and PJ.

I think the thing that disappoints me about DT and PJ is just that they add a 3rd party member (Dream Luigi and Paper Mario) but the battle system looks relatively the same? That each game is just "Mario Bros. + guest star". So it felt like they weren't pushing hard enough for new changes.

With Bowser the battle system for him was completely different that he didn't just feel like a 3rd wheel. (or 4th I guess if we count the Baby Bros.)

I really need to see how they handle this; because based on everything we've seen, it almost feels like it would've been easier to just have them permanently "join" Mario's party, but only have them come out in the overworld in their specific areas, or for story events. Then in battles, they'd only appear in the ring when Mario specifically selects one of their moves.

That still isn't what I personally want out of partners, but we'll see what they do here.

Yeah I much rather wouldve had them stay permanent for at least further depth in the battle system. Paper Mario and TTYD both were guilty of sidelining their partners in the story after their respective intro chapter was done. So the partners having limited story roles wouldn't have bothered me.

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
It's a little disheartening to hear that bringing back partners wasn't even an active decision to please fans from the start. The "party-based system" is a defining aspect of the first two games, but you don't need to erase it to do something new.

Yeah I much rather wouldve had them stay permanent for at least further depth in the battle system. Paper Mario and TTYD both were guilty of sidelining their partners in the story after their respective intro chapter was done. So the partners having limited story roles wouldn't have bothered me.
Yeah; if they really want to give each partner their own individual focus and story, going so far as to lock you to only using one per area on the field, I would've accepted that if they at least stuck around for the sake of adding more depth to battles.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
This definitely seems like it's going to be better than the past couple of games, but yeah, it's really baffling to me that they're apparently totally unwilling to even consider making another "traditional" RPG in this series. Especially so with the Mario & Luigi series at bare minimum being on hiatus and at worst being de facto canceled. I don't want to think that Nintendo is just going to kill off Mario RPGs entirely, but that really is the logical conclusion of all of this, if they don't have someone else develop M&L games, no matter how good Origami King and subsequent Paper Marios are.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
This definitely seems like it's going to be better than the past couple of games, but yeah, it's really baffling to me that they're apparently totally unwilling to even consider making another "traditional" RPG in this series. Especially so with the Mario & Luigi series at bare minimum being on hiatus and at worst being de facto canceled. I don't want to think that Nintendo is just going to kill off Mario RPGs entirely, but that really is the logical conclusion of all of this, if they don't have someone else develop M&L games, no matter how good Origami King and subsequent Paper Marios are.
I mean, there's nothing that baffling about their clear lack of interest. If they really wanted to, they could. They just don't want to.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I mean, there's nothing that baffling about their clear lack of interest. If they really wanted to, they could. They just don't want to.
True enough, considering these games still sell well within expectations. There's not really any substantive pushback against this direction for the series, and there would need to be quite a lot to supersede their apparent interest in experimenting.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's been 16 years since the last Paper Mario in that style. Asking for a "back to basics" approach after several experimental titles with mixed reception isn't the same as a series growing stale. It's the fact that they won't even humor the notion that is so baffling to me.

OK looks good on paper (heh) but it will be frustrating to see disappointed people brushed aside as irrelevant when the game sells well, as if a more traditional game would have bombed or something.

By "Paper Mario 3" I was thinking of an experience near identical to 64 and TTYD. Like game design copied to the letter. I would be really happy to see some elements of those two games brought back like partners and unique NPC designs. But I wouldn't want a complete copy of them to be just what the series becomes since I do like elements of what I'm seeing in TOK like the ring based battle system.

I don't think there is a Paper Mario fan alive that liked all 5 of the games, so I do understand the wish for something more traditional or consistent in quality. (I really disliked SPM and SS)

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Very nice, I hope the open approach will help making it feel like an adventure.
The process behind the battle system doesn't look great though. Reminds me when I try a random idea and stick to it without a clear reason. It's just a concern but they fucked up 2 times in a row for this reason, so I really look forward to reviews.