• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017

Really impressive so far, I would think.

For retrospect, Paper Mario: Color Splash announcement trailer only has 567k views

Last edited:

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I think the trailer did a much better job at trying to sell the tone of the game. It actually looks like there's real stakes. As opposed to Color Splash's trailer which was just underwhelming by comparison.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
People are fucking thirstyyyyy. I see this doing really well depending on how things go in the world come July.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I think Switch has a locked in audience now that will check out trailers for major Switch games.

Oct 29, 2017
Purely because it's on Switch instead of Wii U, and because there isn't an overarching "Cheap Spinoff" negative narrative this time; like the one that absolutely plagued Nintendo's E3 2016 show.

Color Splash got done proper dirty by the media and everyone here.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Color Splash's initial trailer immediately gave off a Sticker Star 2.0 vibes. They smartly his just enough of this trailer to not immediately turn off fans who want a return of PM64 and TTYD's gameplay.

Wow Nintendo should just move all their videos from youtube to facebook.

Facebook is known for fudging engagement numbers.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The game looks great and people are talking. I can see this being the best selling Paper Mario, continuing that Switch trend of best selling games in a series.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
lol that's not even CS's announcement trailer.
It was announced in march 2016.

It never received an official upload. Whether straight from the direct or from an actual cut trailer
The closet to an "official" upload is Gamexplain in poor streaming quality.
The game was a joke from day one and seemingly treated as one from Nintendo

Surprised no one else mentioned this.
History lesson ended and I don't even like CS

edit: reveal trailer from the direct on GX channel : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2175ZyWwCzw
150k views.
+ the original LQ version on GX channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkRU-O6URC8
240k views

It's also worth noting Nintendo gets much more youtube views in general now than they did a few years ago.
Look at their most popular video. Outside of the ones used for ads, they all trend newer.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
lol that's not even CS's announcement trailer.
It was announced in march 2016.

It never received an official upload. Whether straight from the direct or from an actual cut trailer
The closet to an "official" upload is Gamexplain in poor streaming quality.
The game was a joke from day one and treated as one from Nintendo

Surprised no one else mentioned this.
History lesson ended and I don't even like CS

edit: reveal trailer from the direct on GX channel : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2175ZyWwCzw
150k views.
+ the original LQ version on GX channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkRU-O6URC8
240k views

It's also worth noting Nintendo gets much more youtube views in general now than they did a few years ago.
Look at their most popular video. Outside of the ones used for ads, they all trend newer.
The marketing was so bad for the Wii U. Did they hire anyone new? It's been a complete turnaround. Whether that's due to a change in strategy or more investment, it's been completely different since the Switch reveal trailer. Everything Wii U and 3DS was marketed in a boring way--partially due to the products being less interesting, of course.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
The marketing was so bad for the Wii U. Did they hire anyone new? It's been a complete turnaround. Whether that's due to a change in strategy or more investment, it's been completely different since the Switch reveal trailer. Everything Wii U and 3DS was marketed in a boring way--partially due to the products being less interesting, of course.
Yeah, lot of trailers back then weren't great.

Their youtube presence has grown in general.
Random game trailers pull can pull 500k somewhat frequently
new announcements or "notable" trailers can pull over a million, like NMH3 at The game awards
directs always do a few million now

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Hope it's good and it looks like alot of other people are also hoping the same. I won't be duped, waiting for reviews from people I trust before giving these jokers my money.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
Nintendo continues to prove that they don't need Nintendo directs for some of their games to gain attention on social media/internet.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
People were thirsty for Nintendo to announce a new game!

I'll be very surprised if this doesn't sell the most out of the PM series.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Well it was an amazing trailer. Can't wait to see more of the game. Maybe we might even get a demo, would be swell.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It was a great trailer. Showed the expansive scope of the game compared to previous entries and conveyed the wacky tone with hints of darkness

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
It's going to be the best selling paper mario due to 3 factors

1: It's on a great selling console, unlike where the TTYD was on
2: It doesn't look as bad as Color Splash or Sticker Star, looks about Super Paper Mario level
3: People are thirsty for some Paper Mario

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Is it really fair to compare to Color Splash's view count? I believe that game was revealed in a Nintendo Direct. I doubt most people who watch those would go on to watch individual trailers of the games shown in it.

Neifirst

Oct 27, 2017
The announcement was actually a leading story on CNN's Business website Thursday - I couldn't believe it. Voucher already redeemed as it looks great!