• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How are feeling about TOK?

• I need this game NOW. Day 1.

• The game looks great, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

• I am mostly worried and not impressed. Will wait for reviews.

• This is not what I wanted. I'm not getting this game.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
How in the hell are people legitimately acting like character design is meaningless and doesn't add to the characterization of a character in this thread? Some of y'all are nuts.

Pyroblazer

Oct 30, 2017
Out of nowhere :o

A bit mixed on this one. It looks good, it looks fun, it doesn't look like SS/CS but it isn't really the rumoured return to form either from what we saw in the trailer. The ring-based system looks interesting, but seeme like there is no exp meter and no partners? Or the cover suggests partners but still with the generic designs from the last games. Story with the Origami Killer gives me a bit of hope, but could just end up beeing the same characters like always just in Origami form, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam did the same with paper characters.

So will be interesting I guess. I liked Super Paper Mario and Color Splash is a good game too, I only really dislike Sticker Star. But man a Paper Mario 3 would have been a megaton announcement for me, I really love the first 2 games. And with AlphaDream and maybe Mario & Luigi dead, this would have been a perfect time to return to the roots. If this turns out to be a fine game, but again no RPG, I hope they give us at least a Paper Mario 2 remaster.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
People gave two chances before. Three strikes and you're out. People said this exact same thing about color splash.
Exactly. A lot of people here confused by the reaction should understand this has happened twice before. Literally down to the responses of "we haven't seen much wait for more". The same warning signs are there, which is why people are already...sceptical.

Personally I do hope when this game releases that it turns out to be genuinely good, but any Paper Mario fan knows at this stage not to hold their breath anymore.

Hot take. Origami King seems more like a spiritual successor to Super Paper Mario than the other Paper Marios
That is quite the hot take. I've been playing through Super Paper Mario the past few days for the very first time and I don't see the comparison at all.

Super Paper Mario has a boatload of original character designs and unusual settings, for a start. And no turn-based battles. And even less paper references than TTYD. Plus the whole 2D-3D flip mechanic (which Color Splash has funnily enough).

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's really sad that Paper Mario is no longer allowed to have unique characters other than the obligatory villain and sidekick. THAT'S IT. THAT'S ALL YOU GET.

Their landscapes and artstyles are always so good but the characters are so stupid now.
To be fair, SS and CS didn't even have a new villain. I'm already really happy this aspect was changed for TOK. Especially since his sister is your sidekick. Could be an interesting story to tell there.

May 25, 2019
London
One of my biggest issues with Sticker Star and Color Splash that people aren't really talking about was the strategy for boss fights. Those games had key "stickers "or "objects" that were needed for boss fights. Without them, the fights were mostly unwinnable. With them, the fights were cakewalks. Really ruined a core part of the game's challenge.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If I record two seperate playthroughs of sicker star to prove that the combat isn't pointless, will the internet finally believe me, or will I continue to be the planet's sole bearer of this forbidden fact

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Rpg paper Mario in 2020, probably in my top 2 games this year easily

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely do not want another Sticker Star, but I refuse to be pessimistic about this. This could very well be a new and exciting addition to the franchise and be just as good as TTYD without looking like a clone of it. But we're in the Schrodinger's Cat phase of the game. It could be anything. So we all need to take a chill pill and see how it plays out before writing it off so easily.

I mean, Color Splash did not sell well and the vitriol against Sticker Star is well known. I seriously doubt they'll make pains to recreate aspects of those games again. Just my hunch.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Remember folks, this is the last Nintendo first-party title that your Nintendo Switch Online vouchers can be used on.

Please spend your last few vouchers before the end of July 2020!

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Majority, not all. And they weren't pretending that the average Squire was an interesting character worth remembering.

I don't know. I personally found a lot of generic NPCs in my RPGs more interesting than my unique looking party members.

And making generic NPC characters interesting is part of what I like about MMOs.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For those bummed about the partner designs, would it be an acceptable compromise if it turned out that you can dress the up or customize them?
While unique designs go a long way in establishing character (and I would prefer them), I would at least compromise with the partners having a name and great, unique personality represented in thier dialogue to set them apart.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
One of my biggest issues with Sticker Star and Color Splash that people aren't really talking about was the strategy for boss fights. Those games had key "stickers "or "objects" that were needed for boss fights. Without them, the fights were mostly unwinnable. With them, the fights were cakewalks. Really ruined a core part of the game's challenge.
Agreed on that. I wasn't a fan of those items.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Did the mods changed the title? Were has it been confirmed the game has rpg battles, because that trailer still looks very bad in that regard.

Im waiting for the reviews on this one, fool me twice... fuck color splash.

Better?
1589467827343.jpg
You joke buy its sad that it clearly is better, and those changes are super simple.

Now i want to play with a top hat koopa that is call Mistah Koop or something.

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Things that catch a persons eye when that trailer launched;
  • Momentum airplane platforming?!
  • The combat is just like the first Paper Mario but with more pizazz!
  • There's so many things on the screen, how did they pull this off?!
  • Look at all these weird-looking new characters, I wonder what stories they'll have!
  • A ghost with boobs?! BOObs?!
  • There's 2D SMB levels but you get to play as BOWSER?!?
Things that are catching peoples eye in Origami King;
  • The graphics look pretty and the style is a lot like Color Splash.
  • There's a seemingly new 360 rotation battle system that the trailer didn't explain much about.
  • Whoa, partners are back! They seem generic, but at least they're there!
  • The antagonists appear to be our friends but they're simpler design and folded.
It just doesn't fit the bill of being exciting or having elements expected of an RPG.
Um, I'm being kinda conservative on this game too, but there's a lot of things in Origami King that's being glossed over here. Not interested in the juxtaposition of paper style and origami style? It looks like some Bowser minions have turned and some have not. There are also some unique NPCs as well. There's ship sailing with sea chart, fighter paper airplanes, giant paper mache Goombas, and driving around in a boot dune buggy type vehicle.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to remain uncautiously pessimistic. Paper Mario ain't shit these days. Kind of like the opposite of a :podcast game'. I could maybe see myself playing Color Splash for the music and humor but only if I'm also playing a game that's actually fun and interesting to play, at the same time

Oct 25, 2017
I actually broke down laughing, like how is the below better at all? This is the "get excited and consume" meme at its worst.
To be fair, the majority of people attacking people who are not into this game are kind of like that. Like, why defend a corporate entity supergiant like Nintendo? The fact that people enjoy it is fine, but when they attack people are are criticizing or not feeling the direction the games are taking, that's just a big problem.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I'm hoping largely changes. You didn't have progression systems that refined skills for boss fights. Instead, you had to obtain a McGuffin item to defeat a boss.
It was largely unsatisfying in execution.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How in the hell are people legitimately acting like character design is meaningless and doesn't add to the characterization of a character in this thread? Some of y'all are nuts.
No no, you see, when I think about a seasoned admiral bob omb I think of this

35c48dd5831913490762ea5d7d9387e9.png

You know, not this one

Totally the same thing to me. Absolutely meaningless distinction. No character design needed.

Lol.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
OP says RPG battles confirmed. I don't really see that. We still can't see what the enemy HP is. I don't see partners in battle.

The jury's still out on a lot of this.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, the majority of people attacking people who are not into this game are kind of like that. Like, why defend a corporate entity supergiant like Nintendo? The fact that people enjoy it is fine, but when they attack people are are criticizing or not feeling the direction the games are taking, that's just a big problem.
Yea the irony is hilarious.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having mulled it over a bit, as long as attacks aren't an expendable resource (and don't design bosses around one-use battle items) then I can't say I entirely dislike the potentiality of a lack in traditional leveling system or a more minimal incentive to doing battles. The problem with the previous games wasn't so much that there was no point in doing the battles, as much as you were actively discouraged from doing the battles as they're a total resource drain. If a battle system is fun enough then there's something to be said about doing the battles just because the systems are enjoyable and fun to do. I dunno how they're treating those power ups yet, but the key here is to make battles not only fun but also not something that you're worse off for engaging in. Not to invite any direct comparisons as I haven't played the game but I've been told that Chrono Cross was a game that didn't feature a traditional leveling system and it handle it pretty well for the most of the part.

I'm not particularly married to the old-school Paper Mario's combat systems because most of the fun I derived from those games was from gaming the badge system and doing the boss battles. In most of every scenario though I can't say the battles themselves were ever my favorite part of the games with the exception of Glitzville, which even that was down purely to the framing and story of the chapter. A lot of battles in Paper Mario quickly got rather tedious and most of the fun about the combat was the overhead stuff you did outside of the action (multiple chapters like TTYD chapter 4 were just terrible about combat encounters).

I think the combat system they have here has the potential to do well, especially since the battlefield rotation adds a strategic layer, especially if enemies and bosses have unique attacks or gimmicks. There's a lot of potential here to make interesting mechanics that don't revolve around one-use item like the limited scope of Color Splash/Sticker Star was.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The partners being generic members of their species design wise does suck, and I'm not gonna get super excited about the battle system until we see EXP and some sort of badge like system, but how can I not be excited for the game as a whole when we're teaming up with Bowser and his minions? And after Color Splash I'm sure the level design and scenarios you are put in will be great. I can't wait to see what that snifit town is all about.