• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How are feeling about TOK?

• I need this game NOW. Day 1.

• The game looks great, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

• I am mostly worried and not impressed. Will wait for reviews.

• This is not what I wanted. I'm not getting this game.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
What does the title mean by "RPG battles confirmed"? Is it confirmed you get experience and can level up your party? That's kind of my definition.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Better?
1589467827343.jpg
thatsgoodrealgood.gif

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to quote everyone who responded unironically positively to that joke character design edit but there were just too many

But man, Paper Mario fans are the weirdest. Slap a top hat and monocle on a Koopa and suddenly bad thing good
Character design goes a long way in telling a character's story.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I don't 100% disagree with this, but how are you old that you're talking about people who were in their teens when the original couple PM games came out like that?

If you were 13 when Paper Mario: TTYD came out then you'd be 29 now. I know that's still 'relatively' young in the grand scheme of things but I'd definitely say that's "well into adulthood." Especially when we're talking about a game in a franchise literally aimed at children and young teens above all other age groups.

I'm probably gonna buy this and play it day 1, so no, I'm not treating it as a "complete write-off". As I just said, it looks cool - something Sticker Star didn't -, even though it's not what I wanted.

There's nothing wrong with viewing it as a complete write-off, though, if you came in expecting A and ended up getting B. That's each person's prerogative.

Not one person who disliked the announcement in this thread is attempting to shame those who liked it. The opposite is not true.

Viewing it as a complete write-off when it's not exactly what you wanted is wrong to me, because it doesn't give the game a chance. You don't have to buy it, of course, but

As for whether people are attempting to shame others, I think that is a matter of perspective. As someone who is looking forward to this it's definitely disheartening feeling like I'm looking forward to a 'trash' game simply because other people's expectations weren't 100% met. Whilst of course "trash" is subjective many people definitely do move into 'this is objectively bad' territory which directly implies that people who like it, or even people who are open it, are 'liking' trash. There's also the feeling that the only "true fans" of Paper Mario are people who want 64 and TTYD (that's explicit in a few posts), and I think the issue with that is obvious. Whilst neither of those are explicit 'shaming', I think that since you're not coming from a position of being one who 'likes it' I don't think you're in a position to say that "not one person" is attempting to shame others

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I'll die on the hill that Color Splash is a flawed but still very enjoyable game. The individual scenario writing and humor is on par with TTYD or SPM (the dimension jumping pirate adventure and groundhogs day loop haunted mansion being standouts), and Huey was a great partner character. As a package it's not the pure brilliance of the first three, but I still had a really good time with it.
Well said. I agree. It was incredibly enjoyable and imaginative. Great OST, too.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
look how bare bones this so called battle is:

q2AvQpm.jpg

you have coins, (preposterously high) HP, maybe crowds, and a selected move indicator and that's it...

all the warning signs are there that I'm not gonna like this thing and this time around i will heed those warning signs.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to quote everyone who responded unironically positively to that joke character design edit but there were just too many

But man, Paper Mario fans are the weirdest. Slap a top hat and monocle on a Koopa and suddenly bad thing good

It's not like they're all winners, but if you don't understand how having distinct looking partners is better than them being generic mobs idk what to say

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Lmao.

If nothing else this sort of points out how people are getting really upset over something really superficial.
It's not superficial when there's actual individualities and characterizations that go along with them. That's why we love the old crews and not Goomba #1,345,652.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It can definitely be good.
The trailer was a great trailer.

The issue is this isn't a new IP. We've done this before.

in 2012, we saw more pre-release footage of Sticker Star and our eyebrows got crooked. The previews showed consumable items, no partners, Bowser wasn't talking for some reason, people posed questions about what the point of battles were, THING cards, etc. But other people said not to complain before the game is out, it's an RPG after SPM, it looks great, etc. Well, we were right.

We did it in 2016, we saw early footage, no damage numbers, no exp shown, no badges, THING cards, still no partners, weird paint system, Level Select menu. People said not to condemn a game before it's out and we don't know everything yet. it was said has great music, presentation, battle card system looks interesting this time, etc. But we were right again

in 2020, this new game looks good, seems to fix a few things. But even from a 2 minute trailer and PR there are warning signs in regards to battles, characters, and story. Already.

The could be good, but my personal guess is that it'll be somewhat above mediocre. And that the franchise veteran's initial concerns will turn out to be true again, as it has in the past. shrug, we'll see.
Yeah I don't agree.

The battle system looks new and pretty cool, we've seen nothing about the characters other than what some of them look like (oh no the Shy Guy isn't purple with cool glasses so he must be a shit/unoriginal character), and what about the story did that trailer tell us?
It's not superficial when there's actual individualities and characterizations that go along with them. That's why we love the old crews and not Goomba #1,345,652.
Right, because that trailer was long enough to display the fact that none of the new characters have individuality and good characterization. Fuck, it didn't even show us all the new characters - it was 2 minutes long.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Having more unique character designs helps separate personalities and make characters stand out. That's not a bad thing. I like koopa with hat :P

But yes, Paper Mario fans are mad weird, no lie there.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I never know that folks were so hung up on the side characters with this series.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
What bad signs are there about the story?
eh, the PR plot summary isn't very interesting. Seems enemy comes and does thing the World/Peach, and you have to fix it with help of special ally.
At least Bowser isn't the badguy....(although if written well and actually interacting with the story and not being ignored until the end game, Bowser being the badguy isn't that bad lol)

but the plots of mario games usually aren't great outside of SPM, so that's not a huge issue for origami king
It's the character interactions and worlds along the way that make the "plots" good.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I see we've reached the point where we're not understanding why someone would prefer a character like Goombario or Goombella over a generic Goomba, or Bobbery or Bombette over a generic Bob-omb.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Really, the smart thing to do if they don't want to slap a hat on a goomba and call it a day, they should maybe just have Mario start teaming up with existing unique characters like bosses and mini-bosses.

At least this game makes it seem like Bowser and Bowser Jr. might be partners.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Generic Mario enemies being your partners would be like Captain Phasma in Star Wars wearing generic Stormtrooper armor or the likes of the Deku Princess, Darmani, and Zora band in Majora's Mask sharing the exact same character models as the rest of their respective species. Except worse because these dudes are in your RPG party. A better example would be a generic SOLDIER joining your party in FFVII and his name is just SOLDIER (I mean I guess that's technically true for 5 minutes but still).

For what it's worth though they can make it work in Origami King if they really lean into the weird alien invasion/body snatcher angle. In that case it's beneficial to have the characters resemble their creepy counterparts.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Hope they've got the same composer team as last time, Colour Splash Colour SLAPS

a372d7c8d2f462eaef57590e1dbdb22b.gif

In fact I still remember not having this game on my radar at all until Nabbit shared a pre-release drop of Sunglow Ridge's music on me

Yesssss hopefully Nintendo pulls a Color Splash and does an accidental early unlock again. I was just thinking about Sunglow Ridge a few mins ago and now I'm thinking of the great tunes for Cherry Lake and Vortex Island. I gotta listen to the whole OST again. And the OST for Sticker Star with its sublime jazziness.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Weird way to announce it. Considering it's a Mario game, I didn't expect to find out about it via an email from Nintendo.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
What does the title mean by "RPG battles confirmed"? Is it confirmed you get experience and can level up your party? That's kind of my definition.

The title is a bit misleading and maybe should get a mod edit. It seems like most agree that the modern card-and-coin based combat with no FP is still the situation based on this clip:

At best, it is still up in the air, but it really looks like its confirmed to be the SS/CS style

learning

Jan 4, 2019
I don't think the title means anything. Experience/levels are not confirmed as far as I can tell. Looks like your HP changes throughout the game, potentially?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
This looks amazing. I'm in.
Color splash ultimately turned out to be more of a chore for me towards the end. Gave up at the final boss because it just wasn't fun anymore.
Didn't like the fact that attacks were usable cards that could run out so I'm hoping this is more ability focused.

Kuma

alt account
Banned
Apr 15, 2020
Media Molecule was onto something with Tearaway on the vita. I'm glad it lives on through another series. PM is the perfect series for origami.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I see we've reached the point where we're not understanding why someone would prefer a character like Goombario or Goombella over a generic Goomba, or Bobbery or Bombette over a generic Bob-omb.
Yeah, it really sucks that they don't do fun stuff like that anymore. My only deal is that it's silly to singularly blame Miyamoto for it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The title is a bit misleading and maybe should get a mod edit. It seems like most agree that the modern card-and-coin based combat with no FP is still the M.O. based on this clip. At best, it is still up in the air.

The translation of the battle UI screenshot suggests the exact opposite, that Mario has a set of defined "weapons" that are in a separate tab from "items". So card/sticker combat is gone.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
So who was the joker who was spreading the "return to its roots" rumor? I wanna slap 'em.

Basically all we got is:

-Bowser isn't the villain
-some (seemingly temporary) generic enemy partners follow you on the overworld only, are not present in battles.

...and that's it?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

To be honest, I didn't like half the partners in Paper Mario. Outside of some of their design, they were pretty forgettable.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna need to see a lot more about the combat before I'm convinced. Nothing here indicates RPG combat in terms of XP & leveling so not sure about the title. There's increased HP over time looks like but not seeing much else about how you actually progress & get stronger over time.

Anything that indicates battles aren't near-pointless to get tied up in would be nice to see.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Generic Mario enemies being your partners would be like Captain Phasma in Star Wars wearing generic Stormtrooper armor or the likes of the Deku Princess, Darmani, and Zora band in Majora's Mask sharing the exact same character models as the rest of their respective species. Except worse because these dudes are in your RPG party. A better example would be a generic SOLDIER joining your party in FFVII and his name is just SOLDIER (I mean I guess that's technically true for 5 minutes but still).

For what it's worth though they can make it work in Origami King if they really lean into the weird alien invasion/body snatcher angle. In that case it's beneficial to have the characters resemble their creepy counterparts.
Is that a fair comparison when we've seen the entirety of what Majora's Mask has to offer while we've only seen 2 minutes of what this game has to offer?