• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How are feeling about TOK?

• I need this game NOW. Day 1.

• The game looks great, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

• I am mostly worried and not impressed. Will wait for reviews.

• This is not what I wanted. I'm not getting this game.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Better?
1589467827343.jpg
LMAO!!!!!!!!
Yes. Honestly yes.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has no skin in the game(I don't care for the franchise)... you don't have to automatically like the game but maybe give it a chance first?

What's the point in whinging?

Just because it's not TTYD2 doesn't mean it can't be good.
It can definitely be good.
The trailer was a great trailer.

The issue is this isn't a new IP. We've done this before.

in 2012, we saw more pre-release footage of Sticker Star and our eyebrows got crooked. The previews showed consumable items, no partners, Bowser wasn't talking for some reason, people posed questions about what the point of battles were, THING cards, etc. But other people said not to complain before the game is out, it's an RPG after SPM, it looks great, etc. Well, we were right.

We did it in 2016, we saw early footage, no damage numbers, no exp shown, no badges, THING cards, still no partners, weird paint system, Level Select menu. People said not to condemn a game before it's out and we don't know everything yet. it was said has great music, presentation, battle card system looks interesting this time, etc. But we were right again

in 2020, this new game looks good, seems to fix a few things. But even from a 2 minute trailer and PR there are warning signs in regards to battles, characters, and story. Already.

The could be good, but my personal guess is that it'll be somewhat above mediocre. And that the franchise veteran's initial concerns will turn out to be true again, as it has in the past. shrug, we'll see.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Out of curiosity what were your feeling on people upset by....well anything really, in Pokemon SWSH?
I was upset by a lot of the decisions made around Pokémon SwSh, even though I ultimately liked the game.

Are people bothered that you're not happy about the announcement or is it because of the dismissive notion that 'just because' it doesn't 100% fit into your expectations that the game is a complete write-off? Nobody is saying that you can't be disappointed, but frankly there is a certain air of "this is objectively bad," coming from people who are disappointed.
I'm probably gonna buy this and play it day 1, so no, I'm not treating it as a "complete write-off". As I just said, it looks cool - something Sticker Star didn't -, even though it's not what I wanted.

There's nothing wrong with viewing it as a complete write-off, though, if you came in expecting A and ended up getting B. That's each person's prerogative.

Not one person who disliked the announcement in this thread is attempting to shame those who liked it. The opposite is not true.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
It doesn't look great?... I loved thousand year door and would like a remaster of it. Didnt like the artstyle of this, didnt see any interesting characters or environments that jumped out at me. The origami artstyle makes the other characters look really ugly.

but if its a true RPG and does have interesting companions, then I'll buy day one. Its weird being underwhelmed for a series that I love, I dont even hate it...just a feeling of I hope its good.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It can definitely be good.
The trailer was a great trailer.

The issue is this isn't a new IP. We've done this before.

in 2012, we saw more pre-release footage of Sticker Star and our eyebrows got crooked. The previews showed consumable items, no partners, Bowser wasn't talking for some reason, people posed questions about what the point of battles were, THING cards, etc. But other people said not to complain before the game is out, it's an RPG after SPM, it looks great, etc. Well, we were right.

We did it in 2016, we saw early footage, no damage numbers, no exp shown, no badges, THING cards, still no partners, weird paint system, Level Select menu. People said not to condemn a game before it's out and we don't know everything yet. it was said has great music, presentation, battle card system looks interesting this time, etc. But we were right again

in 2020, this new game looks good, seems to fix a few things. But even from a 2 minute trailer and PR there are warning signs in regards to battles, characters, and story. Already.

The could be good, but my personal guess is that it'll be somewhat above mediocre. And that the franchise veteran's initial concerns will turn out to be true again, as it has in the past. shrug, we'll see.
What bad signs are there about the story?

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
How do we define "return to form?" Gameplay?(which we haven't seen full details of) Writing?(see previous) Presentation?(is this even a question?)
As others in this thread have said, there's no FP, no badges, no partners in battles, partners are generic enemies, etc. It's not hard to see that a lot of things tons of fans DO want in Paper Mario (that were in the first two games) aren't present in this game.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Btw. am i the only one that asks himself what would happen if the player would answer Origami-Peachs question in the beginning of the trailer with "Yes"? ^^
Possibly a Game Over. Super Paper Mario lets you refuse to help Merlon at the very start of the game, and if you confirm you're not interested in going on a quest the game ends.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
OMGGGGGG!! this reminds me a lot to Paper Mario The Thousand Doors!!!! Which is one of my all times favorites games!!

Holyyyy this is day one, quarantine mode extended till July folks!!

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder what the size of the center of the venn diagram is for "people attacking pokemon fans for being disappointed by Sw/Sh not being what they wanted" and "people attacking a newly announced paper mario game for not being what they wanted" on this forum is

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Excited for this. Color Splash ended up being a LOT better than I expected, so I wouldn't mind another entry in the same vein.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't look great?... I loved thousand year door and would like a remaster of it. Didnt like the artstyle of this, didnt see any interesting characters or environments that jumped out at me. The origami artstyle makes the other characters look really ugly.

but if its a true RPG and does have interesting companions, then I'll buy day one. Its weird being underwhelmed for a series that I love, I dont even hate it...just a feeling of I hope its good.
yeah, not feeling the artstyle at times.
It's doing a bit much

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll die on the hill that Color Splash is a flawed but still very enjoyable game. The individual scenario writing and humor is on par with TTYD or SPM (the dimension jumping pirate adventure and groundhogs day loop haunted mansion being standouts), and Huey was a great partner character. As a package it's not the pure brilliance of the first three, but I still had a really good time with it.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What bad signs are there about the story?

Partners and npcs are generic-looking, which suggests they will be generic characters too, in spite of the unique location design. Color Splash tried to dodge that issue by going heavy on meta-jokes, but they can only do that so many times.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Just consider how Miyamoto basically referenced Paper Mario original characters as characters who aren't from the world of Mario. And that was a published interview.
He specifically said to not make stuff that didn't already exist in the Mushroom Kingdom, and he did so in the context of all the crazy new stuff that had been in Super Paper Mario not being well received in the club nintendo surveys.

There's nothing in what he said that disallowed them from putting a hat on a goomba and saying its a new friend.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Partners and npcs are generic-looking, which suggests they will be generic characters too, in spite of the unique location design. Color Splash tried to dodge that issue by going heavy on meta-jokes, but they can only do that so many times.
Eh, the partner looks are a shame but I don't think we should jump the gun. The description focuses on the fact that they have unique personalities and that you can "laugh, cry and grow with them" or whatever.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to quote everyone who responded unironically positively to that joke character design edit but there were just too many

But man, Paper Mario fans are the weirdest. Slap a top hat and monocle on a Koopa and suddenly bad thing good

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'll die on the hill that Color Splash is a flawed but still very enjoyable game. The individual scenario writing and humor is on par with TTYD or SPM (the dimension jumping pirate adventure and groundhogs day loop haunted mansion being standouts), and Huey was a great partner character. As a package it's not the pure brilliance of the first three, but I still had a really good time with it.
I'll join you on that hill.
I'm hoping Origami is even better.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to quote everyone who responded to that joke character design edit but there were just too many

But man, Paper Mario fans are the weirdest. Slap a top hat and monocle on a Koopa and suddenly bad thing good
I mean character design goes a long way. You can't seriously tell me that Bobbery and Goombella having unique looks doesn't add to their character.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to quote everyone who responded to that joke character design edit but there were just too many

Yes, unique character design is better than generic, it's not hard or wrong to say that.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

I know it sounds completely ridiculous but that's part of the reason 64 and Thousand are so beloved. The partner characters were charming as hell. They all had their schtick and stories to tell. A generic koopa isn't as cool as one with a scarf.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I wanted to quote everyone who responded unironically positively to that joke character design edit but there were just too many

I can't believe people prefer new unique characters as their RPG party members over generic cookie-cutter ones. What wierdos.